The FM08 Career Thread

Do you not think signing players on frees and then selling them for 10k+ is a bit unrealsitic and somewhat cheating ?

Definitely, especially if you are signing them on frees purely for the purpose of selling them straight away. This might not have all the limitations that LLM has but as a career game you should be playing in a realistic way.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im doing the big club small club challenge, i just come on here as its more active, and more people to talk to etc,

and to be honest, i dont have the intention of selling them, i signed Stonehouse, i then had -260 like pound on wage, and he had offers lkeft right and centre, so i thought o i'll just sell him, cause his wage was £500.

like 1/4 of my whole budget..

A Goalie aswell it said he was good enough for league 2, (i couldnt see his stats), so i signed him and he was no better than what i had, and cause other clubs were chasing him, i was paying 300 for him..so i sold him..

although i will admit the other two, i brought knowing i could sell them on.

Im doing the big club small club challenge, i just come on here as its more active, and more people to talk to etc,

If you are taking part in a challenge you are better of posting in the relevant thread, this thread is for people playing a 'career' type game which involves moving around clubs to better your career prospects, which the small club to big club challenge doesn't. In fact the small club to big club challenge is almost the opposite of this thread as it involves taking a tiny club and making them huge, which isn't what this thread is about at all.

I Do post it in relevant thread, but its like you get a couple comments per day, where as this thread is more lively, Fine ill change my setup mentallity, and play this as a career game, although ive only got english leagues set up,

Definitely, especially if you are signing them on frees purely for the purpose of selling them straight away. This might not have all the limitations that LLM has but as a career game you should be playing in a realistic way.

Is it realistic when I sign a player realise i've made a mistake and get rid of him by january xD, I did that on my montevarchi career once and ill probably be getting rid of a few players asap on my casale career.

Is it realistic when I sign a player realise i've made a mistake and get rid of him by january xD, I did that on my montevarchi career once and ill probably be getting rid of a few players asap on my casale career.

Of course, I've done that myself before. I've signed players as backup and then had a promising looking player come through my youth team in the same position, I'm always going to give youth team players priority in that situation.

Oh its not that its just I have a left back who i signed because he was rated as 'decent' and I couldnt find anyone better, then I got a couple of RLC's, and when he got here he's rated 2 stars so im gonna get rid of him in january

That's fine. It's just signing players with the intention of immediately selling them for profit that I would be against.

Dafuge, i never sign player to make a profit, but if i feel like theyre not good enough i get rid of them

If i have a 2 right back's and buy a another one, then ill sell one of them, and i signed 2 goalies, which both on good wages, realised they werent actually all that, sold them both, i also sold stonehouse as his wage was costing me a fortune and i found another player just as good.

but yeh i admit the last 1 was just basically, get him and sell him, as he was wanted by alot of cubs,

After not winning for 8 straight matches I decided my age old usually moderately succsesful tactics weren't cutting it and came up with a new 4-3-3 formation, and I won my next match 6-3 against a hard team, they were playing a wierd 4 -2-4 formation though which was hard for my lone defensive/central midfielder to cope with but I think against a 4-4-2 I won't concede so many.

Stafford Rangers - Blue Square Premier 2009-2010

Media Prediction:19th

Transfer Budget:None

Transfers

For the second year, i made large changes to the squad. Last year, we were reliant on loans so i looked to build a squad that could compete without the need for loan signings. Having assembled this squad, a number of loan opportunities came up that i could not turn down, so Redmond, Sissoko and last seasons top scorer Nicholson all returned. I was also able to acquire Worrall on a season long loan and he added some much needed quality to the midfield.

-Sorry the screenies messed up a little-

Transfers

Of the permanent transfers, most were aimed at adding depth to the squad. Defence was a problem last season so a number of defensive players were brought in, most notably Blizzard, Cavanagh and Daniel.

Preseason

Preseason was pretty similar to last season: a number of home games against big clubs to improve the finances and a few away friendlies at non league sides. Again, like last season, we were well beaten against the big teams and beat the non league sides.

League

The league campaign started extremely well with only one defeat in the first eight games. I remained in the top four until November and picked up a memorable win against Rushden along the way. The 2-1 victory gave Rushden their first defeat of the season, having previously won 14 of their opening 15 games.

Then it all went downhill. 6 defeats in a row left us in 10th place going into December. From then on, we were just too inconsistant. We remained around 5 points off the playoffs until March, beating Southport 7-2 along the way but suffering 5-1 defeats to both Kidderminster and Grays. Going in to the last nine games, we had an outside chance at the playoffs but we failed to pick up even one win and ended the campaign in 13th.

Cups

FA Cup:1st Round (Knocked out by Carlisle)

FATrophy:1st Round (Knocked out by Merthyr Tydfil)

Setanta Shield:Winners (v Grays)

The Setanta Shield success was a memorable one and a great distraction from our inconsistant league form. Boston, Woking and York were beaten with relative ease and this set up a semi with Rochdale. A truly amazing game was ended with penalties and victory for Stafford.

When the final came round, i cant say i was confident. Only two months earlier, we had been beaten 5-1 by Grays. In another entertaining match, Stafford came from behind to win 4-3.

Summary

Another frustrating season. I really expected us to be challenging for a playoff spot but we got further into the season, it became evident that there were just too many stronger teams. I was happy with the squad depth but apart from the loanees, we lacked quality.

Squad (minus the loan players - i forgot to do a screenshot before their loans finished)

Our finances continue to improve and we ended May with over 500k in the bank, a massive improvement from the 75k when i took charge. Maybe next season i will finally get some money for transfers.

Last seasons aims

-Continue to improve the finances - ACHIEVED

-Make the playoffs - FAILED

-Make the third round of the FA Cup - FAILED

-Reach the final of a cup - ACHIEVED

We are getting there slowly. Whilst it doesnt seem like it given our league position, we are improving. The problem is that we are still reliant on loans to give us quality. Without them, we are a mid table team at best. With them, we have the potential to make the playoffs. Assuming we can get Nicholson back next season, i am confident. He has been our best player during my 2 year reign. With him in the team and another 3/4 quality signings, i think we can finally push for the playoffs.

Aims for next season

- Make 3/4 quality signings in the key problem areas of CB, LW, CM and RW and attempt to sign the loanees on for another season.

- Make the playoffs

- Reach the FA Cup 3rd Round

- Reach the final of a cup

- Try to keep wages within the budget

Career so far

2007-2008 Stafford Rangers BSP - 16th

2008-2009 Stafford Rangers BSP - 12th

2009-2010 Stafford Rangers BSP - 13th

I've just been sacked from Deportivo :(

Things were difficult as the club were struggling in the second tier of Spanish football but after 84 days they sensationally decided to sack me.

I'm a bit gutted since with only 13 games in charge and no transfer window there wasn't a lot I could really do. I was making slow progress, improving their league position but a small run of bad form (including two 5-4 defeats) seems to have sealed my fate.

I've been offered a job at Palace in the Championship but I've turned it down.

Hey fellas, I'm back from the day's pursuits, and looking forward to getting going with St.A's!

Just thought I'd post my expectations:

FA Cup: 2nd Round

League: Top 4, play-off win

Players: I want Murphy to score 30+

Team: I am playing 3-4-3 and want to set the record for most goals in the BSS.

So not much then!

Here's my first match:

Unlucky dafuge - there is only so much you can do when you dont have the opportunity to bring any players in. Turned down Palace, are you hoping for a better offer then or was it just not for you?

Good luck fatski, good result in your first match. Lets hope it continues.

I won't bother with a season update as there isn't a lot to say.

Career so far:

Season     Team                 Country    League                 League Finish    Achievements
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Started    unemployed
2007/08    St Albans            England    Blue Square South      15th             Took over in March
2008/09    St Albans            England    Blue Square South      3rd              Lost in playoff final
2009/10    St Albans            England    Blue Square South      2nd              Promoted via playoffs
2010/11    St Albans            England    Blue Square Premier    4th              Lost in playoff final
2011/12    St Albans            England    Blue Square Premier    3rd              Promoted via playoffs
2012/13    St Albans            England    League 2               14th    
2013/14    St Albans            England    League 2               7th              Promoted via playoffs
2014/15    St Albans            England    League 1               14th  
2015/16    Bassano Virtus       Italy      C1/A                   16th             Relegated, resigned  
2016/17    Notts County         England    League 2               9th          
2017/18    Notts County         England    League 2               3rd              Promoted  
2018/19    Wycombe Wanderers    England    Championship           19th
2019/20    Wycombe Wanderers    England    Championship           21st
2020/21    Wycombe Wanderers    England    Championship           18th
2021/22    Wycombe Wanderers    England    Championship           3rd              Lost in playoff semi
2022/23    Wycombe Wanderers    England    Championship           4th              Lost in playoff semi
2023/24    Wycombe Wanderers    England    Championship           3rd              Promoted via playoffs
2024/25    Wycombe Wanderers    England    Premier League         n/a              Left to join Deportivo
2024/25    Deportivo La Coruna  Spain      Liga BBVA              n/a              Sacked after 13 games

I'm currently on holiday waiting for a new job but it looks like I will have to take a step back to get a new one.

Unlucky dafuge - there is only so much you can do when you dont have the opportunity to bring any players in. Turned down Palace, are you hoping for a better offer then or was it just not for you?

They were in the relegation zone in the Championship, I didn't fancy that. I've also had an offer from Bristol City in League 1 but I didn't fancy that either.

Yeah, i suppose that is quite a step down. btw, how are Wycombe doing without you?

They have just slipped into the relegation zone and they also look set to sell their star striker. Nice to see things haven't changed since I left.

What leagues have you loaded? Because you might be able to get a job at a mid table dutch or portuguese team in the top divisions

England, Italy, Spain, France and Brazil.

I'd like to move to Brazil but none of the Serie B sides seem to want me at the moment.

Yeh unlucky dafuge, good luck in finding a new job.

I'm currently at Colchagua CD in the Primera B in Chile. Completely rebuilt the squad from no players with no money. I've been picking up freebies and loanees via the likes of Colo Colo, Cobrelosa, Universidad, San Felipe etc still not doing very well. Sitting 9th from 12 after 10games.

I'm getting linked to quite a few league 2 jobs. In two minds about what to do. I have got unfinished business at Stafford. I believe i can get them promoted but i dont know how much further they can go. They do have a bit of money but they only have a small ground that they never fill. The right job in league 2 would be a step up and i would have to consider it.

I thought I'd try my luck and try and unsettle a few clubs by declaring my interest in the job even though they had a manager, to my amazement on of them has worked. After I declared my interest, Middlesbrough decided to sack their manager and offer me the job!

My wages have quadrupled, I'm back in the Premier League and I'm even in the knockout stages of the UEFA Cup! The only downside is that I have a relegation battle on my hands, Boro are currently in a relegation place and although it is nice of them to give me £33m to spend on transfers, there's not a lot I can do about it in February.

haha good that you got a job :D as my team.

could you post the squad, i'd like to see it, actually it will be full of regens wont it?

how about history?

as for my game, i had a quick break and ive just started the season now, getting a draw after i was 3-1 down :)

haha good that you got a job :D as my team.

could you post the squad, i'd like to see it, actually it will be full of regens wont it?

how about history?

as for my game, i had a quick break and ive just started the season now, getting a draw after i was 3-1 down :)

Squad

Like you said, they are mostly all regens. There seems to be quite a lot of ageing players on high wages, so I'll be looking to replace them before next season (assuming I survive).

History

Another UEFA Cup loss! You never know, I might even have a chance to avenge that this season.

League Finishes

As you can see, they have been a good Premier League club with a couple of great finishes recently.

I'm determined to get a good career game going, i've loaded up around 7 leagues mainly the big ones in Europe, i've started automatic and am currently holidaying waiting for a club.

That was exactly how I started, best of luck :thup:

Well well well, Ive just beat the team who are 2nd with the most impressive display ive seen from my team, come out 5-1 Winners, with Kevin McCrory equalling the all time record goalscorer at the club, McCrory now has 60 goals in just 68 starts..:)

Ha, i used player exchange to offload a player I didn't want to a club thats alot better than me and it worked xD i offered the 1k they wanted for the keeper and then just randomly added this left-back onto the deal and they accepted xD

edit: pfffft MY player rejected the contract from there team wtf xD i'll never get rid of him he's rubbish and no one wants him

Archived