The FM08 Career Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by PaulHartman71:

Been considering doing this kind of thing for a while now, as a little bit on the side from my sign up. Any reccomendations to which is the most enjoyable way to start?

i'd say simply load up as many countries and leagues as your computer can handle, create your manager and see where the offers come from!! that's the beauty of this - you never know where you'll end up.

good luck!

Originally posted by iacovone:

I would say so. That is my Italian manager's favoured club. Of course Tottenham would be a preference if I ever went to England. I have preferred clubs in my head in every nation I have loaded up. But Inter is probably the pinnacle icon14.gif

Yeah same, I have a few clubs I'd like to experience in my career. I'd like a job in Russia/Ukraine, because i've never managed in eastern europe. I'd like to manage a UEFA cup level team, maybe fiorentina, end then end up at Lyon, Rome, Barca, someone like that.

Then...ideally, return to my first club, little Atletico Goainiense and take them to the Brazilian 1st Division.

Originally posted by jacknewthoughts:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by iacovone:

I would say so. That is my Italian manager's favoured club. Of course Tottenham would be a preference if I ever went to England. I have preferred clubs in my head in every nation I have loaded up. But Inter is probably the pinnacle icon14.gif

Yeah same, I have a few clubs I'd like to experience in my career. I'd like a job in Russia/Ukraine, because i've never managed in eastern europe. I'd like to manage a UEFA cup level team, maybe fiorentina, end then end up at Lyon, Rome, Barca, someone like that.

Then...ideally, return to my first club, little Atletico Goainiense and take them to the Brazilian 1st Division. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ideally for me, i'll end up managing Sheffield Wednesday at some stage... i'd also like to manage in spain or italy, taking a 'smaller' team towards the top. i'd also like an international job as well at some stage too. that'd be something different. i'd say the pinnacle for me, discounting Wednesday, would be Barcelona. we can dream...

Originally posted by rlipscombe:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PaulHartman71:

Been considering doing this kind of thing for a while now, as a little bit on the side from my sign up. Any reccomendations to which is the most enjoyable way to start?

i'd say simply load up as many countries and leagues as your computer can handle, create your manager and see where the offers come from!! that's the beauty of this - you never know where you'll end up.

good luck! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What reputation for my manager?

My career on FM07 was an amazing journey. I started at Loko(Plovdiv) in Bulgaria. It then went - Bulgaria...Tom Tomsk(in Russia)...CSKA(Sofia)...Independiente...PSV...Real Madrid icon_biggrin.gif

That all spanned 16 years IIRC.

This career has the potential to be better because of starting much lower. Its been a struggle but I think the satisfaction of getting a big job (fingers crossed) will make this career more memorable!

I doubt I'll return to Stranraer to be honest icon_razz.gif

Well I recommended Semi-Pro because Automatic got me zero jobs in almost a year of waiting. But if you've got leagues down to the lowest level then go for auto. Unless you fancy starting higher?

Yeah I think I'll go with Semi Pro, i've tried starting as auto but only got jobs in China or the lowest divisions of Eastern Europe.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by iacovone:

Well I recommended Semi-Pro because Automatic got me zero jobs in almost a year of waiting. But if you've got leagues down to the lowest level then go for auto. Unless you fancy starting higher?

Yeah I think I'll go with Semi Pro, i've tried starting as auto but only got jobs in China or the lowest divisions of Eastern Europe. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think most have gone for semi-pro... for added realism you could go automatic, but can be VERY hard to get a job.

I've loaded:

U.S.A. - MLS

England - League 2 and Above

Finland - First and Above

France - CFA and Above

Germany - Second and Above

Greece - National B and Above

Iceland - First and Above

Italy - Serie C2 and Above

Spain - Second Divison B and Above

Sweden - Second Division and Above

Turkey - Second Division and above

Brazil - 3rd and Above [ theres alot of clubs here icon_eek.gif]

I've also got the job managing The Democratic Republic of Congo. icon_confused.gif

Thats random! Well, good luck icon14.gif

Randomly on my own file I've just been offered the Wigan job! I'm actually quite tempted to move...they're similar to Elche insofar as they're expected to get promoted but are struggling. Gonna ponder this one for a bit...

Decided to delay it until the end of the season. Then if I don't get Elche promoted I can take the plunge to the North of England.

Thing is, I don't really like Wigan IRL. But beggars can't be choosers I guess...I need to get to the top by any means necessary!

I've loaded all divisions from :

England

France

Germany

Holland

Italy

Portugal

Spain

Scotland

Turkey

Chose Semi-Pro.

Been offered jobs from:

DR Congo, Morocco and Nigeria.

I fear that picking Nigeria or Morocco would be a bit unrealistic?

that's semi-pro for you though! if you want realism start off Automatic, i know a few said they couldn't get jobs, but if you've loaded all those, then i can assure you that you will.

i'm not knocking those who start on semi-pro by the way, but if your computer can cope with a few leagues down to the lowest, why not start at the real bottom?!

*sorry for double post*

plus that way when you hit the top, you'll have more of a "story" to look back on.

me and my friend are doing this as the same time and it's great banter starting so low down!

we're both onto our third clubs, and happy just to have ones that we've heard of before! (venezia for me, dagenham and redbridge for him).

i haven't had any transfer funds so far!

Well its not looking good for my Elche side. Despite promising the board the title we are struggling to even get promoted. 1st place has already been secured by Cadiz and we find ourselves 7 points off promotion with 4 games to go. If we don't go up I'll either get sacked or resign with a shred of dignity. Then its off to Wigan.

More positive news is that the youngster Javi Torres has been introduced to first team football with much applomb. He has made 9 starts and 6 off the bench, scoring 4 times and getting 8 assists. With an average rating of 7.20 at just 17 years of age I really think he could be something special. I have a moral dilemma though - if I move to Wigan should I take him with me? I'm his favoured personnel icon_biggrin.gif

Just thought I'd post the table with 3 games to go: Here. Almeria have 3 home games left finishing with me coming to visit. Hopefully they will drop some points in the next two, I'll win my next 2 and then it'll all go down to the last day. In reality, this probably won't happen. Better book my flight to the North East /o\

Jonzii - just resign and wait til it becomes available!

Was thinking of resigning and taking a random lower league job again. Might be a bit easy with my reputation, would be able to attract quality players I would imagine. Would it work like that? Never managed in lower leagues with a big rep.

Good to see this thread finally getting some action . icon14.gif

Finished 5th with Elche icon13.gif

Took the Wigan job. icon14.gif

They're £6mill in the red and losing 300k a month just in loan repayments, no transfer funds for me! icon_frown.gif

it all just adds to the challenge... icon_wink.gif

Too right. I'm building quite a side at the moment, enjoying it. Had to sell off a couple of gems but I wanted my own feel to the team. Board wanted a top half finish, I agreed with them. I've got 4 years to establish them in the Prem. This could be the club I stick at for a while. Still trying to get Javi Torres from Elche, but I've got no cash!!

well things at venezia are ticking along well.

debt was 800k when i started but after my first season we're up to 100k in credit. sold my best gk, 2 best midfielders and some others. brought in a LOT of free transfers from seria A teams...juve, parma, inter. The squad is DEFINITELY better than last season and the wage budget is about 2k lower, and 3k below budget.

the striker i brought in from juve reserves, Riccardo Maniero has scored hattricks in consecutive games, and morale is high.

I'm predicted 13th in the league, like i finished last time, but i have a feeling i can push on towards the promotion spots.

10/11 - Gratkorn

Transfer Budget - 120k

Wage Budget - 550k per annum

Media Prediction - 9th from 12

A good season throughout as we went from strength to strength to finish a respectable 5th in the end. Karten were runaway leaders but a number of team including us slowly but surely caught up with them to make some sort of challenge before they powered on, beating us in the process. League Table

A foreign player cap restricted us to 7 overseas players in the squad, with only 3 in the match day team. This played havoc with any team building as i already had 6 foreigners in the team and with no real quality Austrian players that wanted to make the step down to the lower division. Saying that i did make a couple of fantastic coups in Kropfl

and a other few other former greats of Admira and Wien, to strengthen the squad and add some experience. Transfers

I used an attacking formation, a style preferred for away games really which used a counter attacking method. It worked extremely well as we managed to score a shedload yet not conceded many. During the close season i hope to strengthen the squad more and bring a few more Austrain players into the team. Current Squad + Stats

2 players from my squad managed to win accolades for the season for our division. Young Player Of The Year Player Of The Year

to next season icon14.gif

I fancy starting a game with the English leagues all the way down to the BSN/S and then various other leagues with the top divisions loaded. My plan is to start my career working my way up in England before eventually moving around Europe before going for the top jobs.

If I start with automatic reputation, would I be able to get a job in the BSN/S?

Originally posted by dafuge:

I fancy starting a game with the English leagues all the way down to the BSN/S and then various other leagues with the top divisions loaded. My plan is to start my career working my way up in England before eventually moving around Europe before going for the top jobs.

If I start with automatic reputation, would I be able to get a job in the BSN/S?

i would have thought so.

Originally posted by dafuge:

I thought auto reputation automatically set your reputation so you could get a job in the lowest leagues that you have loaded. So if you only load the top leagues then it should be set accordingly. I can't understand why people are having trouble getting jobs if they set it as auto, or is it that they are not willing to start in the lowest leagues?

Well I had an auto rep with the leagues loaded that I stated earlier and couldnt get a job for 9 months. So it wasnt me not wanting to start low, I literally couldnt!

Dafuge - that sounds like a good premise. Just give it a go and see if you get a job. Down to BSN/S should be fine.

Well I had an auto rep with the leagues loaded that I stated earlier and couldnt get a job for 9 months. So it wasnt me not wanting to start low, I literally couldnt!

Dafuge - that sounds like a good premise. Just give it a go and see if you get a job. Down to BSN/S should be fine.

I've holidayed for six months with no luck so far, although no jobs have been available in the BSN/S yet.

Monday 25th February 2008

After a long period of sitting on my arse watching Sky Sports News, my first job offer came in. I would have accepted it whatever it was, but this particular club has got me rather excited. I am making a welcome return to Cressing Road Stadium to manage the mighty Braintree Town, the club I made famous in a previous life.

The club have been underachieving, with the previous manager leaving them in 16th position despite the media prediction of 5th. I've got 10 games in charge this season and the aim is simple, stay clear of relegation.

2007/08 - Braintree Town - Blue Square South

Final League Table

League Positions Graph

I only had the job for the last 10 games of the season but I managed 4 wins, 3 draws and 3 losses which gained me two places in the league.

Squad

Transfers

The squad was pretty poor and will need completely rebuilding for next season, in the meantime I brought in a few loans to fill the gaps.

Archived