The FM08 Career Thread

Thanks ToMexico!! I might need it....

Well I'm the same leagues as iacovone apart from I have decided to use the Portuguese leagues instead of the MLS.

It took two days for Brazilian minnows Ituano to offer me the job. After 9 games they are sitting 11th in the league, the board's ambitions reflect the clubs finances, they want to survive in this division with no transfer funds and a wage budget of £1,400.

First looks at the squad show a huge amount of young players in on loan. I only have 2 days before my first game so can't really do any tinkering with the squad and am yet to decide on a formation.

On a sidenote I have taken screenshots but don't know how to upload/link to the forum, can anyone help?!

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spurs_88...

i started in that league and there are a few good players i can recommend if you cant find them for free!

Ricardo Araujo, great DM who scores lots of freekicks, Atletico Goianiense.

Laerte, strong centre back, not sure of club.

Anailson, top quality AM/S, Atletico Goainiense.

Also, see if you can loan Patrik from Santos, he was amazing for me!

Anyway, my game has taken an slight upward twist, i unexpectedly got the job at Serie C1 Venezia. Nearly 1million in debt when i arrived so i've had to sell off my top earners and raid the free transfers.

My early season form is frustrating to say the least, my team will beat the league leaders one week then go out of the cup to a non-league team the next. I think my squad has the quality, but my tactical approach isn't working so far, conceding way too many goals.

But the challenge is what makes it fun!

Career

Atletico Goainiense Jan 08 - Aug 2010

Temperley Nov 2010 - Mar 2011

Venezia - May 2011 - ?

Thanks a lot mate but after receving a job offer from Aston Villa after 5 games in the league (2 wins, 2 draws and a loss) I realised something was up...after checking my profile I noticed that it was the same manager profile I s

used in previous loads when wanting to manage big clubs, I was an ex-interntional player! Thus it would not have been fair to continue this save.

I will be restarting tonight though, maybe in bizarre circumstances I will be offered the same job again, who knows.

Will keep you guy updated, thanks for the tips though mate.

09/10 - Eschborn

Transfer Budget - 0

Wage Budget - 0

Media Prediction - 10th from 18

A fantastic season for us, still an amateur side of course, we amassed 57 points, leading us to 7th place finish. . We were more consistent this season, winning a few more against the higher placed sides, but obviously drawing a handful more. The amateur status didn't hold us back in signing a few good quality players. A couple of strikers i had seen in Slovenia with my time at Krka were available on free's and both for some reason agreed to play for free. A number of loan signings over the season helped at times to ease pressure on the older players who couldn't play week in week out. Transfer

The squad now looking much better than last season but still has an average age of 29, players like Ayala, Piplica, McBride (recently signed) and a handful of other 35 to 42 years olds that add that needed experience. Most will be shipped out pre season, as long as i can replace them. Squad/Stats

Ihbeisheh - a summer acquisition from Slovenia i mentioned above was my player of the season, not much to look at but scored goals when it mattered. Hopefully i'll hold onto him for next season and pair him with McBride, that big man/ little man combo, which should hopefully work better than playing the 2 quick strikers i currently have.

Scholze - a young gun who was already there when i arrived, a product of the youth academy, certainly had his scoring boots on this season for the U19's. One to look out for in the next few seasons or so.

Finances - to reiterate as an amateur side, our balances are ffffb. Obviously not paying wages or spending money on improving the squad helps. Should give me some chance of improving the club reputation surely??

The next 2 screenies are about me, My Profile and My Manager History.

All in all a top notch season icon14.gif

Originally posted by Gundo:

iacovone What are your computer specs if you don't mind me asking?

Gundo - sorry for such a slow reply, I haven't checked this thread in ages! My spec is pretty average. It's - Core Duo 1.66ghz, 1gig ram. The set up I have runs at a nice pace though, getting through the seasons just fine icon14.gif

Ok a few seasons to update here (again):

2016/17 3rd Full Season with Ancona

So as last reported we had begun averagely sitting 7th from 7 games. Although our form picked up we never looked like taking the lead and really pushing for that automatic position. We ended up 4th, 5 points behind 1st so not too bad. In the playoff semi final we took on Triestina. They had beaten us at their home earlier in the season but we had done the same to them at Del Conero. It was set up for an intriguing tie. A 4-2 win at home left the playoff wide open, I was reasonably happy but would have preferred not to have lost 2 away goals. These didnt matter though as we went to Triestina and thumped them 4-1 icon_biggrin.gif.

So to the final - the 2 legged affair was against Piacenza, the side that really should have run away with the league. We won the first leg 4-0 icon_eek.gif at home. Needless to say I was already thinking about my first season in the second tier of any nation! There was a final twist though...amazingly the return game saw one of the most ridiculous matches I've been involved in on FM. Our Captain was stretchered off after we went 1-0 down and from there on it was a disaster. Nothing I tried worked and we conceded the fifth in the final minute to end our dreams again. To say I was gutted was an understatement! (I can't explain how angry I was at this)

2017/18 4th Full Season at Ancona

So with the memory of that fateful day still present I had to gee up the troops and bring in some fresh faces. The defence was shored up and to be honest the league this year around was a cakewalk. We finished top by 9 points and only lost 4 games all year. It was a great year and one in which I finally felt we deserved to go up icon14.gif.

2018/19

The squad needed strengthening - that much was evident, and the media saw us as favourites for the drop. My signings looked good on paper - particularly at the back. However that familiar defensive problem plagued the start of this season and although my new strikers were scoring buckets of goals, we were conceding far too many. By the midpoint of the season (21 games) we had scored the most in the league but had also conceded the most! It was a strange situation. We were also sat mid-table, exceeding expectations.

Then came the bombshell. I was offered the Elche job in the Spanish second tier. Now although they weren't doing as well as Ancona they were a better proposition (after all it is my aim to get to the top asap!). So after some deliberation, I decided to take the next plane to Spain! With ten games to go and us sitting 17th, we should avoid relegation! The club has the potential to get to the Primera Liga - something they have done regularly during this file icon14.gif. Only time will tell now - wish me luck \o/

Career so far<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Stranraer - 2007-2008

Val di Sangro - 2008-2013

Brechin - June 2013-Aug 2013

Ancona - Aug 2013 - March 2019

Elche - March 2019 - ???</pre>

Originally posted by iacovone:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gundo:

iacovone What are your computer specs if you don't mind me asking?

Gundo - sorry for such a slow reply, I haven't checked this thread in ages! My spec is pretty average. It's - Core Duo 1.66ghz, 1gig ram. The set up I have runs at a nice pace though, getting through the seasons just fine icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cheers for that iacovone. icon14.gif

Nice update too, good luck in Spain. icon14.gif

No problem Gundo

I should have added to the 17/18 update that we won the Italian Serie C Cup as well. Another trophy certainly didn't harm my growing reputation icon_wink.gif I'm now 'continental' \o/

Congrats. Would that sort of rep get you a job in one of the top divisions in Europe then?

Well I'm getting linked to some of the top jobs - ie, Celtic, Rangers, Milan (!), At.Madrid - but so far not had any offers from them. I think I'm on the brink of getting a top offer. It's exciting times! Perhaps need one more trophy or a promotion to really prove I deserve my place at the top.

I'm jumping in on this thread as it looks pretty interesting.

Ive loaded the following leagues :

England - League 2

U.S.A - MLS

South Korea - N League

South Africa - First Division

Mexico - First Division A

Started the game un-employed and went on holiday until someone offers me a job.

So after a a brief 2 day holiday South African First Division side Hannover Park's chairman offers me a job, i ask for a week to think about it which he straight away rejects - only for minutes late to offer a job again ! this time i accept. I take it as a good omen as my first (RL) job was on a building site on a road called Hannover Park !

The board wants us to survive in the First Division by the end of a 2 year plan, handing me a 9k transfer budget and a 1.3k p/w wage budget.

The squad

what have i let myself in for? the squad comprises of 18 players, none of which are a day older than 16, the highest rated player is a left mid with 1 star. My confidence is draining.

lets hope we can fill our 750 capacity stadium week in week out in order to raise some funds!

Originally posted by billyiddo:

I'm jumping in on this thread as it looks pretty interesting.

Ive loaded the following leagues :

England - League 2

U.S.A - MLS

South Korea - N League

South Africa - First Division

Mexico - First Division A

Started the game un-employed and went on holiday until someone offers me a job.

So after a a brief 2 day holiday South African First Division side Hannover Park's chairman offers me a job, i ask for a week to think about it which he straight away rejects - only for minutes late to offer a job again ! this time i accept. I take it as a good omen as my first (RL) job was on a building site on a road called Hannover Park !

The board wants us to survive in the First Division by the end of a 2 year plan, handing me a 9k transfer budget and a 1.3k p/w wage budget.

The squad

what have i let myself in for? the squad comprises of 18 players, none of which are a day older than 16, the highest rated player is a left mid with 1 star. My confidence is draining.

lets hope we can fill our 750 capacity stadium week in week out in order to raise some funds!

What manager rep did you choose out of interest?

After a long debate with myself i decided to resign as Eschborn manager. Things were ok but i was not happy, the club was in the middle of a takeover embargo and the 500k i had in the bank i wasn't allowed to touch. So stuff them. I led them to a respectable 11th and 7th place finish and got the club established at a Regionalla club.

Anyway after looking at the long list of clubs available to manage, i decided to holiday until offered a job. Gubbio and Val di Sangro (sp?) both offered but the teams were both poor and offering little money to rebuild the squad. Then an Austrian club, Gratkorn offered me the job. 29.5k per year in my own wages. A healthy 120k to spend on players and a massive 750k in wages for the year. Austria a country i had never managed before on FM08, i had to take it.

Looking at the squad and finances, the club is in pretty good shape. Has a few outstanding players for the division, which happens to be the 2nd div, that i can build around. Now to tapping up some awesome youngsters to come play for me from Sturm, LASK etc...

Gratkorn offer

Personal Message

billyyiddo you've taken on a huge challenge there! I did the same not too long ago starting with reputation automatic and got the job at the African Warriors. Good luck because you'll need it! That and patience in abundance!

In terms of my Elche job - we ended the 2018/19 season well losing just 3 of the last 10. This took us to a finish of 8th - not bad after taking over in 17th.

I've told the board this year that I expect to win the league icon_eek.gif Possibly a rash move but I have no real affinity to this club and my contract only lasts til the end of this season, so if it all goes t*ts up I can get out sharpish.

One promising moment was the arrival of this kid through the academy. To the naked eye he perhaps isn't that incredible and I've yet to be fully convinced. But my coaches are raving about him and just look at his record for the under19s icon_eek.gif! Not too sure how to nurture him - maybe a season in U19s and then move him up next year?? Advice welcome.

So here he is - introducing Javier Torres (he's only just turned 17 btw) icon_smile.gif

One promising moment was the arrival of this kid through the academy. To the naked eye he perhaps isn't that incredible and I've yet to be fully convinced. But my coaches are raving about him and just look at his record for the under19s icon_eek.gif! Not too sure how to nurture him - maybe a season in U19s and then move him up next year?? Advice welcome.

So here he is - introducing Javier Torres (he's only just turned 17 btw) icon_smile.gif

Looks good, where are you going to ply him, AMC or ST?

billyyiddo you've taken on a huge challenge there! I did the same not too long ago starting with reputation automatic and got the job at the African Warriors. Good luck because you'll need it! That and patience in abundance!

In terms of my Elche job - we ended the 2018/19 season well losing just 3 of the last 10. This took us to a finish of 8th - not bad after taking over in 17th.

I've told the board this year that I expect to win the league icon_eek.gif Possibly a rash move but I have no real affinity to this club and my contract only lasts til the end of this season, so if it all goes t*ts up I can get out sharpish.

depending on the strength in depth of your squad, i'd be tempted to include him on the bench, and look to throw him on in games where the result looks in the bag. give him some experience. you never know, he may bag a goal or two...

Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by iacovone:

Looks good, where are you going to ply him, AMC or ST? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thinking AMC in my home tactic (MC with farrow). Not sure where he'd fit in the away tactic but I'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Had an absolute disaster though, tried changing skin and really screwed it up and the game crashed 6 games into the season. So I'm back to the beginning of the season and his under19 performances are nowhere near as good icon_mad.gif

Originally posted by rlipscombe:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by iacovone:

depending on the strength in depth of your squad, i'd be tempted to include him on the bench, and look to throw him on in games where the result looks in the bag. give him some experience. you never know, he may bag a goal or two... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also forgot to mention that we're in the Segunda Division. Squads not particularly strong, but first 11 should press for promotion. I think I'll take your advice rlipscombe. See how he gets on...

What qualifies as a "Career Game" then?

I know the general thing is start off unemployed and have a starting reputation of mostly Semi-Pro according to this thread. People have also mentioned the difficulty in finding a job if you set your rep any lower. I personally don't fancy starting a career type game on a reputation set that high as I don't deem it to be 100% realistic.

If I where to start a career game I'd choose the lowest manager rep and take over a club in the lowest playable division from one of the nations I'd selected.

If I was to start such a Save in the near future would anyone have any objections to me posting my progress in hear?

What qualifies as a "Career Game" then?

I know the general thing is start off unemployed and have a starting reputation of mostly Semi-Pro according to this thread. People have also mentioned the difficulty in finding a job if you set your rep any lower. I personally don't fancy starting a career type game on a reputation set that high as I don't deem it to be 100% realistic.

If I where to start a career game I'd choose the lowest manager rep and take over a club in the lowest playable division from one of the nations I'd selected.

If I was to start such a Save in the near future would anyone have any objections to me posting my progress in hear?

To be honest, anything that represents a real life career game could belong in this thread, the rules really aren't important.

This thread was started as a place for people to discuss their 'career type' games, there is no challenge or competition.

I'm planning on starting one sometime, starting in the BSS and working my way up to manage the club I support, Pompey. I may move abroad during that but I haven't decided yet.

Either way I suppose it's quite similar. I just don't see the point in upping you reputation just to get a job? It would make more sense surely to start at the very bottom with the lowest possible rep and just take over a club.

I think I'll do that then when I get round to starting this.

all the career games i've started i have started with automatic reputation. like gundo says much more realistic. and also in the games bar my 4 season flurry with falkirk see's me manage carp teams...amatuer or national reputation clubs...increasing your managers skills as his seasons progress has much more of a buzz to it than starting with semi pro or above rep and managing teams with money and good squads to start with...

although with the amount of times i've restarted a career game it doesn't say much about me...

Either way I suppose it's quite similar. I just don't see the point in upping you reputation just to get a job? It would make more sense surely to start at the very bottom with the lowest possible rep and just take over a club.

i agree on the reputation thing, but i set mine to 'semi-pro' in order to jump a rung on the ladder so to speak. as far as i am concerned, there is still plenty of work to do.

i have, by the way, decided to pick this up as an alternative to my KFUM Oslo game. my first job is Doncaster Rovers in League One in England. i chose them over Augsberg in Germany as they're less than 10 miles up the road. i take over at the end of december with the club 2nd in the league. there previous manager has moved up to wolves.

my aim is to help them get promotion, although the board merely want us to finish in a respectable position.

we shall see

Gundo I think what you're thinking is more in a 'challenge' frame of mind. My personal opinion on a career game is that it should be enjoyably and fairly realistic. For me starting at the very very bottom, though enjoyable in yours and dafuges challenges, is not what I'm looking for in my 'career'.

But thats also not to say there's anything wrong with starting on automatic. If thats what you enjoy then go for it - I look forward to hearing it. The more the merrier in here! icon14.gif

Another couple of things:

For me its not easy even starting at semi-pro. Far from it. I'm not a manager that uses the best tactics I can find on forums, etc etc. My career goes to prove that. After 12 seasons I'm only in the second tier of Spanish football. I mean I've not even managed in the top flight! Once again, for me this is the enjoyment in my career - finally doing enough to earn the chance to manage a big club.

Secondly I don't agree that its more realistic to be the lowest reputation possible. In my case the manager name is my 'character' - ie, he is who I imagine him to be. If he was a semi-pro footballer than thats what he is. If he was an ex-international than thats what he'll be.

I guess what I've concluded is that this career thread should not be tied down to rules and regulations like the challenges. The emphasis should be on enjoyment icon14.gificon_biggrin.gif

Since playing my season in the Wallace/Roberts thread I've been looking at starting a Solihull Moors game, as I really enjoyed that, probably partly because I won the league tbf but yeah..

I'll obviously be starting right down the bottom with an automatic reputation so that's kinda the idea here, although I won't be starting unemployed. I intend to take them as far as I can but if I get stuck at any point with getting out of a league then it would become a career as I'll look to see what else is out there.

Was just wondering if it'd be ok if I posted my progress in here? not bothered if not, just say, but if it's ok I planned to start tommorrow night then get right into the first season on Sunday.

I guess what I've concluded is that this career thread should not be tied down to rules and regulations like the challenges. The emphasis should be on enjoyment icon14.gificon_biggrin.gif

Spot on, this is a place to discuss your game, not compete against people.

Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

Since playing my season in the Wallace/Roberts thread I've been looking at starting a Solihull Moors game, as I really enjoyed that, probably partly because I won the league tbf but yeah..

I'll obviously be starting right down the bottom with an automatic reputation so that's kinda the idea here, although I won't be starting unemployed. I intend to take them as far as I can but if I get stuck at any point with getting out of a league then it would become a career as I'll look to see what else is out there.

Was just wondering if it'd be ok if I posted my progress in here? not bothered if not, just say, but if it's ok I planned to start tommorrow night then get right into the first season on Sunday.

That's fine.

I've altered the opening post to make it more open to people playing the game the way they want, there's no real need for rules here.

Good stuff, I'll get started tomorrow then. Still not too sure wether to go for real or fictional players though. When playing with fictional players in that Wallace game it seemed that there was too many high quality premiership reserves that were willing to drop down to my level, something which didn't happen with real players on.

I think I'll go for real players for the added realism. icon14.gif

MON. \o/

OK so, I was thinking of starting a new challenge thread. Apparently the record number of championships won by one manager at different clubs in the same country stands at four. So the goal would be, to better that - ie, win the league with 5 different clubs.

However, as I was writing it I came to realise what I was describing was a career game with a defined goal...so, here I am instead.

I've loaded up the top two divisions from Belgium, Denmark, Greece, Portugal, Russia, Ukraine and Scotland, starting on auto rep. I usually stick to one club so this will be different for me...I imagine I'll job hop a bit before I even get near a title and settle on a country to target. Should be interesting!

so i started my rein at Doncaster last night. looking at the squad, i decided to implement my KFUM Oslo formation of an attacking 4-3-1-2. Lost my only league game so far, at home to Tranmere, 4-3, having been 2-0 up. icon_frown.gif

then my only other game was in the Johnstone's paint trophy Northern Semi, away at Huddersfield. drew 3-3 in normal time, only to lose on penalties. icon_frown.gif

so, to sum up, i've been in the job 10 days and have dented the league push slightly, and got them knocked out of a cup competition... icon_rolleyes.gif the only way is up!!

on a more positive note, i have managed to sign Tony Warner from Fulham and Vincent Pericard, a ST from Stoke. i have also brought in a couple of young attackers on loan for the season too.

Well my ambitious prediction of winning the league is backfiring horrendously. We're 6th after 17 games and are showing no consistency. Some of the players have lost confidence in me and the board are disappointed. All in all this is not good.

My first real test in management and I'm failing! This career really is proving a long arduous journey...icon_frown.gif

Love how this threads been rejuvenated btw icon14.gif

yeah, i'd agree. i went to start it about a month back when this thread opened, but then i got into my Gundo game, and coupled with the lack of interest in the thread, it went on the backburner. the development and surge in interest has inspired me to give it a proper go.

Yeh Jack thats the biggest inspiration for me icon14.gif

I'll look back at the dreary days at Elche with a grin as I put me feet up on the desk in the Inter Milan managers office. Mark my words I'll get there eventually!!

is that your target job then? the pinnacle so to speak?

Just come to the end of my first season in charge of Oggersheim, finished 14th overall.

Won a few, drew a few, and lost a few, so all-in-all no a bad 16 games played, but with the German league being restructured I will need to watch out for the relegation places, this of course isn't being helped with the fact that 2 key players left on free transfers and my chairman sold my best DL for £200k.

icon_mad.gif

Originally posted by dafuge:

Spot on, this is a place to discuss your game, not compete against people. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I might get going on this fairly soon then. icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by rlipscombe:

I'll look back at the dreary days at Elche with a grin as I put me feet up on the desk in the Inter Milan managers office. Mark my words I'll get there eventually!!

is that your target job then? the pinnacle so to speak? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would say so. That is my Italian manager's favoured club. Of course Tottenham would be a preference if I ever went to England. I have preferred clubs in my head in every nation I have loaded up. But Inter is probably the pinnacle icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rlipscombe:

is that your target job then? the pinnacle so to speak? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would say so. That is my Italian manager's favoured club. Of course Tottenham would be a preference if I ever went to England. I have preferred clubs in my head in every nation I have loaded up. But Inter is probably the pinnacle icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's good to have dreams... icon_biggrin.gif

Archived