The FM08 Career Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by iacovone:

KUTGW with Vanuatu Paul icon14.gif

Didn't expect you to be there for so long tbh

It's quite fun tbh, I think i've just played my 13th game in charge, and since i've been manager they've gone from 164 to 152 in the rankings. It's also surprising that there better than teams I had heard of like Samoa and American Samoa.

Wednesday 25 March 2009

Friendly

American Samoa VS Vanuatu

Another chance to win in a friendly, I felt American Samoa were a team we could beat, and hoped to prove it by beating them.

Duncan Higgins put American Samoa ahead after 20 minutes, with a stunning free-kick, which even the likes of Ronaldo and Beckham would have been proud of. 5 minutes later, Antonio Malapa equalised for us, rounding of several defenders and then finally the goalkeeper, to slot in comftably. However just after the half hour mark, Jordan Steel put American Samoa ahead for the second time of the game, with a stunning 25-Yarder. 15 Minutes from the end, American Samoa got a third, this time Mexico Leututu scored, when to be honest our goalkeeper really should of saved it.

Result - American Samoa 3-1 Vanuatu

A bad loss, a game that we really should have won, we had lost, not a great result at all.

Saturday 14 November 2009

Friendly

Cook Islands VS Vanuatu

A game we really should win, would be nice as well.

Albert Vavia put the Cook Islands ahead after 7 minutes, a decent enough finish to score past our goalkeeper. We equalised 10 minutes before half time, Pita David Maki scoring. However Albert Vavia got his and Cook Islands second, just 3 minutes later to put the Island of Cooks back in the lead. It looked like it was going to be another disspointing loss, untill Shem Morrisson equalised in the 93rd minute, a huge relief, and a great goal too.

Result - Cook Islands 2-2 Vanuatu

The late equaliser made it seem like we had played better than we had, and infact we should have won it.

Wednesday 18 November 2009

Friendly

Vanuatu VS Papua New Guinea

Our last warm up game before the OCE Nations Cup, and I was hoping and praying for a win.

It took 12 minutes for the breakthrough, Kalsiviu Chillia heading in to put us 1-0 up. Papua New Guinea were quick in there reply, Mark Smith equalising just 3 minutes later. However we re-took the lead on the 23rd minute, Nono Noel breaking free and comfortably finishing past the stranded Papua New Guinea keeper. 3 minutes into the second half we gave away a penalty, which Papua New Guinea in amazing fashion managed to blast both high and wide, waisting a fantastic opportunity to equalise. 15 minutes from the end, Papua New Guinea had another set-piece, this time a free-kick on the edge of the area. And Peter Thomas didn't waste it, fantastically scoring.

Result - Vanuatu 2-2 Papua New Guinea

It was a good match, and I think the best result for both teams was a draw, as niether of the two teams played better than the other.

Saturday 12 December 2009

OCE Nations Cup Preliminary Round Group A Match 1

Vanuatu VS New Caledonia

So the last time we met we lost 6-1, we sincerly hoped this wasn't going to be the case again this time.

Peter Roronamahava put us ahead after 22 minutes, after a horrendously bad timed back pass from a New Caledonia defender to his goalkeeper, failing to see Peter as he intercepted the pass, and calmly slotted the ball past the shocked goalkeeper. 10 minutes from the end Pita David Maki doubled our lead, with a stunning shot. In the 92nd minute, Michel Bouvier scored a stunning 25 yard free-kick, to make it 2-1, but it proved only to be a consolation.

Result - Vanuatu 2-1 New Caledonia

A fantastic win, and a fantastic start to the tournament!

Paul - possible idea: maybe do a Quarterly or 6 month analysis/update? At the moment as good as your reports are, they are a bit too frequent for anyone to comment on. It might work better to condense them? Just an idea, I wonder what others think?

KUTGW icon_smile.gif

Saturday 19 December 2009

OCE Nations Cup Preliminary Round Group A Match 2

Samoa VS Vanuatu

After the New Caledonia suprise victory, I was hoping we could win this game, a game that we were actually favourites to win.

Samoa took the lead after 22 minutes, through a close range header from Luke Torpey. 5 minutes later they were 2 up, as Ben Burns finished off a 1 man counter attack. 5 minutes before half tim, Ben Burns got his second and Samoa's third through a contraversial penalty. Peter Roronamahava scored, which was only to be a consulation goal with the last kick of the game.

Result - Samoa VS Vanuatu

A poor result, a loss, where even a point could have insured a better chance of qualification for the next round.

Paul - possible idea: maybe do a Quarterly or 6 month analysis/update? At the moment as good as your reports are, they are a bit too frequent for anyone to comment on. It might work better to condense them? Just an idea, I wonder what others think?

KUTGW icon_smile.gif

Okay, oh and the Samoa VS Vanuatu result should say:

Samoa 3-1 Vanuatu

Wenesday 23 December 2009

OCE Nations Cup Preliminary Round Group A Match 3

Vanuatu VS Cook Islands

So a must win game if we could think about qualifying for the next round, and to be honest we really should beat Cook Islands anyway.

Nothing of any action really happened until the 57th minute, when our very onn Nono Noel missed a penalty, to add to this dissapointment 5 minutes later Tuka Tisam scored for the Cook Islands. 10 Minutes from the end, Tuaine Manavroa put the game out of our hands, as he made it 2-0.

Result - Vanuatu 0-2 Cook Islands

So, progress to the next round practically impossible, unless we won our remaining game, and Samoa didn't.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday 26 December 2009

OCE Nations Cup Preliminary Round Group A

Fiji VS Vanuatu

We came into the game knowing that we couldn't progress to the next round, although it would be nice to end the tournament on a high.

Peter Roronamahava put us 1-0 up after 10 minutes, then made it 2-0 2 minutes later. Incredibly 1 minute after that Alphonse Welin Qorig got our third. In 4 minutes we had gone 3 up! However we didn't get another goal until the 87th minute , when Simon Lauru scored an incredible from just outside OUR defensive area, the ball sailed all the way towards the opposite goalkeeper who completely missed the ball as it bounced into the net!

Result - Fiji 0-4 Vanuatu

A brilliant victory and a tremendous way to finish the tournament.

I just feel like sharing my extraordinary journey with Leeds on 8.0.2. Leeds starts off with a 15 point deduction. I told the board I'd win nevertheless. I did win by some 6 points.

The secrets were, in order:

1. Good signings. Yes I read the good player guide, and have tons of experience, so I signed some top quality names.

2. Good tactics. I use a lone striker and three attacking midfielders, with lots off arrows to let defensive players, especially full backs, join in the attack and attacking mids to help defend.

3. Good team talks, fairly good coaches with top training facilities.

4. Player rotation. I found this to be very rewarding. Basically, I try to keep everyone on the squad playing once in a while. This has very good effects on player development and team morale. This must be done carefully however, since you should not risk important points just to let everyone play.

5. Good stadium. The stadium is big enough to generate good money when things are starting to go well.

THEN, in my second season, I got second place and was promoted to Premier League. I got tons of money and signed some good names. Most of my players had actually developed into Premier League quality over the years, so I really didn't need all the money I got.

The third season ended in a lower/mid-table position in Premier League. Not bad, but not fantastic either.

I am now half way through my fourth season and find myself in 3rd place. I have won away games vs Arsenal, ManU and Chelsea, and been offered to manage Liverpool.

I must really recommend Leeds for anyone who likes moving quickly up the league system. They have a tough start with the point deduction, but the economy and the stadium allows a very fun game when played seriously.

One of the best aspects of starting further down the leagues is to see the change in reputation and economy. Players that would laugh at your team season one are very eager to join you in season three.

Good times!

With such a shocking computer i cant load too many Countries into the game. Decided to put in England, Italy and Spain. The game will start in July of 2007 with a medium database with

no additional players loaded.

Starting unemployed of course. Nationality is Australian and secondary is German. Past experience is a Sunday League Footballer.

My main goal for this is to become manager of Australia and take them to good performances is Tournaments such as the Asian Cup and World Cup.

Manager profile will come once i get a job at a club.

Guest roberto922

sorry for the delay, (like any of you care lol)

Right then if you read my last post you'll know that I finished 5th in my group and 7th overall in the opening part of the league... for those of you who don't know the Mexican 1st division A has two halfs, the opening stages and the closing stages, there are two groups for the league and I was in group 1, at the end of the opening stages, the top 4 from each group go through to the champions playoff, I don't know what happens if you win that because I'm only in November, perhaps a more experienced Mexico leaguer could explain more thoroughly?... anyway because I finished 5th in my group I missed out but it shows that my group was the strongest because I finished 7th overall. The closing stage starts in January so will update then.

Heres some screenies..

opening league

Group 1

Thanks Roberto.

Carlisle, Gillingham, Ecija and Lemona were the only jobs available. I applied for all. Hopefully one team will accept and i can begin my career.

Ecija were the first team to approcah me offering 650 per week and expected us to finish in a respectable position by the end of the 2 year plan.

I delayed the offer to see what i can get with the other 3 teams i applied for.

Best of luck Chirpin icon14.gif

My first season as Man Utd boss is not going well. They're slightly disappointed in me and we're sitting 7th /o\

The basic problem is we have no decent CBs. When I joined I couldn't get anyone in because of the wage budget so adopted a 5 at the back approach. It was working ok until recently. With January approaching and some decent scout reports I plan on having a bit of a shop. With some players leaving I should have a sizeable gap in the wage budget to bring players in. Need at least 2 good CBs.

Still can't get Messi to leave icon_frown.gif - 120k of my 300k budget is wasted on him.

Guest roberto922
Originally posted by Gundo:

Best of luck roberto922. icon14.gif

Nice to see you have selected Sweden as one of the leagues to run. icon_smile.gif Look out for a young non-league player called Patrik Burda if you ever manage their. icon14.gif

I've signed him but he looks kinda rubbish, does he play well despite his stats? or do his stats improve drastically?

Best of luck Chirpin icon14.gif

My first season as Man Utd boss is not going well. They're slightly disappointed in me and we're sitting 7th /o\

The basic problem is we have no decent CBs. When I joined I couldn't get anyone in because of the wage budget so adopted a 5 at the back approach. It was working ok until recently. With January approaching and some decent scout reports I plan on having a bit of a shop. With some players leaving I should have a sizeable gap in the wage budget to bring players in. Need at least 2 good CBs.

Still can't get Messi to leave icon_frown.gif - 120k of my 300k budget is wasted on him.

sure you'll turn it around iacovone... battle through to the transfer window.

Guest roberto922

right then time for a shock twist... I was sacked as manager of Colima after stating my intention to leave after the press asked me about an application I made to a few clubs. I decided to move on after our closing stage started terribly with 2 draws and 3 losses and I realised I wasn't going to get us much further with over £2m debt.

Will upate when I get a new job

Guest roberto922

Ok now i'm regretting my decision to apply for other jobs, especially as I started as a sunday leaguer, anyway I've taken the job at Swedish side Huddinge and they're as low as you can get really but I've got a feeling I might do better due to stabler finances.

Wish me luck, I'll need it

Holy hell!! Just checked my finances...beginning of the season we had just short of £40mill in the bank. It's now January and we have just £4mill icon_eek.gif

If we don't go up I think I can kiss goodbye to my job and Manchester United as a club!

Holy hell!! Just checked my finances...beginning of the season we had just short of £40mill in the bank. It's now January and we have just £4mill icon_eek.gif

If we don't go up I think I can kiss goodbye to my job and Manchester United as a club!

if i was you, and i felt that it might go wrong, i think i'd try and desptroy them as a club for a laugh... icon_wink.gif

should you jump from the sinking ship....

Wednesday 3 February 2010

Friendly

Vanuatu VS Papua New Guinea

Our first match after the dissapointing OCE Nations Cup tournament.

Abel Zacharie's half volley from seemingly out of nowhere on 17 minutes gave us the lead. This was the only goal of a somewhat boring match.

Result - Vanuatu 1-0 Papua New Guinea

Despite the boring match, we had won.

Happy Slappy. Basingstoke Town. 2008/2009. Blue Square South.

Won the league.-pretty easy in the end, we went on a 20 game unbeaten streak until the last game of the season which we lost, but we were safely up by then so it didn't matter.

Transfers.

not much to say, Sylvester was probably the pick of them all.

Here he is, I have a younger, more impressive striker on the way in the summer, and with the strikers already at the club, competition will be fierce.

Finances, see the little increase in the chart from September 2008 to January 2009? Income from our FA Cup run.

Profile at the end of the season.

Bring on the Blue Square Premier.

Well I am managing as Krka in Slovenia, finally made it to the pre-season proper following my Jan/feb start...I played friendlies against all bar one of my opposition and did very well, even considering my 3 middle losses because of the 'rotation policy' I had settled on a starting 11 and then what happens, oh it gets to June 17th and 20 or so players join me from across Slovenia who I had chassed for signatures...now I have to decide if I stick with my team or I play these new stars. I may got for a 'rotation policy' through the season, or at least to begin with, see how it works. I will post a full pre-season update once I get to the end of July icon_smile.gif

And I am still trying to figure out why people say they can't run lots of leagues...I have 256mb of ram and only a 1.7ghz processor on my laptop, and I still have 22 leagues running in this game and no problem with speed at all. And I have run more than this before without problem...

Hmmm I may have to use the dreaded "ask for more time to rebuild the squad" at this rate. Promotion doesn't look likely despite my new additions in January. icon_frown.gif

It really could be a case of jump before I'm pushed. A real blow to my budding managerial career. I'll keep you posted but I reckon promotion is a must. And the playoffs would be our only hope at this stage. Its frustrating because I like it here. I've discovered some very good youngsters

Ok, im going to start a new career, decided to use all UK and Irish leagues. Have started myself with a semi-pro reputation (just did it with a auto rep and only got N.Ire 2nd div teams interested in the first 18 months and dont fancy starting there).

Anyway holiday's now, will report back on my first appointment

My first match as a Manager. Only a friendly but against our parent club Athletic from Spain in Division 1. We dont expect to win but i'll be hoping

for a good perfromance from our players.

Only 50 seconds into the game and we went up 1-0 from a strike by captain Zautua. Gomez ran inside the box on the left and crossed it in only for it to be headed

out by a Athletic defender. The ball spilled to Zatua who had a shot on the half volley and in it went.

In the 22nd minute Athletico striked back from a goal by Aduriz. Llorente crossed it in from the right side and Aduriz was there to put it through.

As it turned we no more goals were scored although Athletic should have won. They had so many chances. I was happy with the 1-1 draw.

Athletic 1 - 1 Lemona

Zautua 1, Aduriz 22

This will be my only match that i'll do a report on like this. From now ill just do updates after i have done a significant amount of matches.

2008/9 November 2 update: Aves

After a disappointing last 4 games of the season with us safely mid table, but collecting only one point, it was obvious a major squad overhaul was necessary. So out went 16 players, in came 18. With a generous wage budget of around 20k, it left plenty of scope to bring in some decent quality, certainly much better than we had. The assistant certainly seems to quite fancy the squad now. Only a couple of the old guard remain, one being the very handy Brazilian striker Tatu.

With a vastly improved playing staff, I couldn't resist the temptation to give my tried and trusted - until the start of this career - counter attacking formation another go. What a disaster.

While we looked dangerous going forward, the defence was, well, not performing. Case in point - a 6-4 home reversal to Espinho. After 11 games and no improvement in form, we were rock bottom with ONE POINT. That made it 15 league games without a win since taking over. But the board look patient and morale remained surprisingly high in the team, probably a product of softly softly team talks.

The only solution, which to be honest I identified ages ago, was a complete tactical rethink. In came a new 4-4-2 diamond formation, built for possession attacking football at home. And what dividends it paid.

First game was handily against the team just above us in the league, a fairly awful Caldas side who look destined for the drop. Despite dominating entirely. it took them being reduced to ten men early in the second half for us to get going, but after that the result was in no doubt. A resounding 3-0 win was a massive morale booster but still left us rooted to the bottom. Next up was another winnable game vs an inferior Trofense side. Everything clicked for the first time with this team and we romped home 5-0, not even giving them a sniff. Beautiful stuff.

So onwards and upwards. With only 30 games in the season, our start probably makes promotion impossible, but it's getting back on track. My only concern is that the new formation might be too flimsy away from home, even with a defensive mentality...time will tell. The league table looks like this and this is the improving set of results so far.

Archived