The FM08 Career Thread

I've tried restarting with all leagues from England, France, Italy, Spain and Brazil.

As an Englishman with automatic reputation I would expect the only job offer to come from the BSN/S.

First try - got a Brazilian Serie C club, so I removed it form the playable leagues.

Second try - got an Italian Serie C-2 club, so I removed that as well.

I'm going to keep on going until the first offer I get is from England. I want to play a 'career' type game, which for me involves starting off in the lowest possible English league before working my way up to earn the chance to move abroad, I don't want to be offered a foreign job straight away.

I think it's going to take me a while to get my game setup just right before I finally get started.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure you will figure it out Dafuge. Although I am trying to do a career type game I decided the bottom Scottish league would be more enjoyable than the only offer I had from the BSP. Don't think I even saw a BSN/S club job available.

This already feels more like a career game to me, given I have ignored international management, which is what I think made my rep too high too fast on my previous save.

Originally posted by Gilbster:

I'm sure you will figure it out Dafuge. Although I am trying to do a career type game I decided the bottom Scottish league would be more enjoyable than the only offer I had from the BSP. Don't think I even saw a BSN/S club job available.

I don't want an offer from the BSP, I'd rather wait for one from the BSN/S. From my last game I know that a BSN/S job is attainable with an automatic reputation, as long as you are prepared to wait for one to come available. It took until February last time.

Hi just thought I'd start this i have started with these leagues running :

South Africa lowest league

Mexico lowest league

England BNS/BSS

Iceland lowest league

Norway lowest league

Sweden Lowest league

and Argentina lowest league icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by dafuge:

Although saying that, the Scots 3rd division must come pretty close to that, how do people think the Scots 3rd would rank compared to the English leagues?

Harder to bring players in because of the low reputation.

I think that Stranraer is the only Third Division team available to apply for at the start and I think that they have a decent enough squad as it is for promotion.

Wee Update

Just coming to end of October and don't know how to feel about it all.

On the positive side, we are sitting 4th in the league and have been 2nd a couple of times already. Playing decent defensive counter attacking football and beating teams we have no right to. Also, I have a 6"4 striker Lorcan Fairmichael who is doing a grand job as a long out ball. Thinking of taking him and a few others with me in the next stage of my career.

Negative side though is I seriously dont like my board or chairman. Im expected 11th in the league of 12, yet the think I should be doing slightly better than 4th. They initially blocked every transfer i attempted due to wage issues. So i resorted to only signing 3 loanees to boost a very weak team. They expect way too much.

Last week I applied for a job in Belarus, just to see how my reputations coming along. What a mistake thats turning out to be. Fans were not pleased and the board even offered me the chance to resign to save my reputation before they sacked me!! I refused and won my next game, keeping me in a job for now.

I am enjoying managing here but the board are making it very tough. But i want to carry on and finish at least one season here, hopefully they will let me

This game has an incredible sense of irony.

I start a new game with a new league setup and I have to wait all the way until March 2008 until I get an offer. The offer is from St Albans, the club I was managing in my last game. icon_biggrin.gif

I saw this as a sign from the FM gods and accepted, hopefully this will be the start of a long an illustrious career.

Originally posted by markcator3006:

Im coming up to the end of the first season.

What screenshots would normally be required? Just stuff like the league table and finances sort of stuff?

There are no rules in this thread really, it is up to you do do whatever kind of end of season review you want. Personally I would go for a league, squad, transfers and star player minimum, then any extras depending on what special happened in your season.

Seeing as everyone else is restarting, I might as well get rid of this Basingstoke save, and concentrate on my Chile career.

Big mistake loading Sweden, with my Chile game, I have decided that I would not have all the leagues, so in England, now BSN/S, Italy no C2, Spain not Second Division and in France no National, just so the game runs a little smoother.

Was beaten comprehensively by liverpool in the end, 7-0 at "new anfield" and only 1-0 at home.. which actually pleased me..league standards slipped up and we top still but level on points but have a game in hand. a number of crucial injuries to my best striker, my only recognizable ML and my best AMC, hopefully our form can pick up with their absence and then push on when they come back.

just noticed on my home screen that Euro Cup: not yet entered has appeared in the competition section...strange i didn't think that the team going out of the Champions League first round went into the UEFA Cup, can anyone shed some light on this?

Teams going out of the Champions League in the 3rd Qualifying round and also 3rd place in the group stage get UEFA cup.

cheers, can't say i've noticed it previously about the 3rd Qual Round, i did know about the group stage bit...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

Although saying that, the Scots 3rd division must come pretty close to that, how do people think the Scots 3rd would rank compared to the English leagues?

Harder to bring players in because of the low reputation.

I think that Stranraer is the only Third Division team available to apply for at the start and I think that they have a decent enough squad as it is for promotion. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They may have a decent enough squad for promotion but when you have me as a manager you need more than that.

I have 11 points from the first 12 games, and am sitting in 8th place. This is harder than I was expecting.

Originally posted by ToMexico!!:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gilbster:

Teams going out of the Champions League in the 3rd Qualifying round and also 3rd place in the group stage get UEFA cup.

cheers, can't say i've noticed it previously about the 3rd Qual Round, i did know about the group stage bit... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In my Gundo's Challenge game in Northern Ireland, I was always happy if I made it to the 3rd qualifying round as I knew I'd have at least a 1 more European match after it thanks to the UEFA cup.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ToMexico!!:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gilbster:

cheers, can't say i've noticed it previously about the 3rd Qual Round, i did know about the group stage bit... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In my Gundo's Challenge game in Northern Ireland, I was always happy if I made it to the 3rd qualifying round as I knew I'd have at least a 1 more European match after it thanks to the UEFA cup. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeh its good to have that but with the draw i've been given i can't see my European adventure for this season continuing, i got Middlesbrough. The trend for being knock out by British clubs will continue...

2014/15 - UEFA CUP - SPURS

2015/16 - UEFA CUP - RANGERS

2016/17 - CHAMPIONS LEAGUE - LIVERPOOL

2016/17 - UEFA CUP - BORO?!?!

Originally posted by ToMexico!!:

also just noticed i'm now a continental manager...happy with that..

I think bigger clubs will start to take notice now, me well I've just finished the first phase of the League (4 Phases) came top and now into the second phase.

2007/08 Season Review

League Table

I took over St Albans in March and managed them for the final 8 games of the season getting 2 wins, 5 draws and a loss. I haven't done much yet, just put my tactics in place, released a few unhappy players and brought in a couple of loans to see me through to the end of the season. Now that the season is over I will be looking to have a complete overhaul of the squad, with all but one player on their way out.

Career so far

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Season Team Country League League Finish Achievements

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2007/08 St Albans England Blue Square South 15th Took over in March

</pre>

Plenty of restarts by the looks of things, good luck to everyone. It's definitely important to get a set up that runs smoothly if you're planning on a long career game. I got lucky with my set up (back on page 3 iirc) in that it still runs at a nice pace for me and I'm in 2025.

Season coming to a close with Man Utd - report will be coming in soon.

icon14.gif to you dafuge for wanting to take the most realistic route in your career. That's what I went for but I'm not entirely sure its worked. Although I'm sure I could justify my move from Brechin to Ancona somehow icon_smile.gif

Melaka 2008 Review

League Table

After the media predicting that we would finish just above the relegation places in 11th place I had to bring in a few players to help us survive.

During the league season we never lost more than 2 on the bounce so I was pretty impressed with a mid-table finish.

Malaysian Cup

At the end of the season we had to compete in the Malaysian Cup which was not a great success.

Conceding on average over 3 goals a game and not winning a game meant we finished bottom of our group.

Before the new season I reckon I'll have to bring in a whole new defence as we were conceding sloppy goals all season.

Homepage

Season 2024/25 - Manchester United

A mixed season overall. I felt we'd improved as a side but the table doesn't lie - we finished 14th which was certainly not good enough. However as you may have noticed, we'll be playing in the Uefa Cup next year. This is due to us winning the League Cup, a fine achievement, beating Arsenal on the way to the final in which we demolished Birmingham 6-0! This is indicative of our form, one minute we could take teams apart, the next we wouldn't show up. I put this down to the lack of experience running throughout the club. As I show the main players of the season you will see how young the key men are. It means I may struggle to fulfil the boards target of a Prem challenge in 2 years, but I firmly believe we've got the makings of a world class side here.

The finances are still in a bit of a mess. That loan still hasn't been paid off and despite the many sponsors we only just make a profit over a season. We need some transfer funds for next year to make use of the lure of Europe.

Transfers show that we did spend close to £20mill this year, and I'd be happy with that same amount this year. Notably every transfer in this season was under 21 years of age icon_eek.gif

Now to the individual mentions:

Firstly to the Top Goalscorer award - Rob Jacobs was in scintillating form once again and this award goes to show just how well he's done for us since the return to the Prem - award.

The young player of the year award saw Liverpool forward Bertrand Dupuis win it. However notable mentions to 2nd and 3rd place respectively, Marcos and Chatzidimitriou. They were intregral to our season. Chatzi did well filling the boots of his departed Greek teammate Papadopoulos whilst Marcos was devastating at times on the right wing, as shown by his 19 assists and 11 goals.

The main issue was the defence this year and for that reason neither of the CBs will get a mention.

However on the flanks we have an interesting scenario. Over the last few years two class full backs have come through the academy and we are now starting to see them get a chance in the first team of their hometown club. Jordan McKenna played slightly more being the eldest but there is certainly no shame on the part played by James Fox who I believe is Englands next RB.

My two players of the year other than Rob Jacobs would be the ever reliable Miguel Navas and the Spaniard Javi Torres who returned from his broken leg fantastically.

All in all the reports make it sound as if the season was a success. I suppose its similar to Tottenham in real life. We've won a cup but had a very indifferent season. Is it acceptable to the fans? Hard to call. Winning a trophy takes some beating, but we need to climb into that top half next year without question.

If there are any screenshots anyone wants let me know icon14.gif

In other news, Inter Milan went unbeaten all year to win Serie A. Valenciennes broke Lyon's strangle hold on the French Ligue 1 whilst Valencia recorded the highest ever points total in Spain to beat Real Madrid to the title. The Champions League Final was contested by the two Turkish powers, Galatasaray and Fenerbahce - won convincingly by Gala 3-0. Arsenal couldn't quite complete a back to back treble but they did win the Prem and the FA Cup. Valencia beat Spurs on penalties to lift the Uefa Cup, giving them the double too. Its also worth mentioning that Sheffield Wed went down - they won the Premiership only 6 years ago and followed that up by coming runners up in the Champions League. However the demise of the club came once manager John Sheridan left in 2022 for Liverpool. Will they return?

Career so far

Season Team Country League Finish Achievements

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

07/08 Stranraer (left 9.6.08) Scotland 4th in Scot D3 Promotion via Playoffs

08/09 Val di Sangro (joined 2.7.08) Italy 2nd in C2/C Promotion via Playoffs

09/10 Val di Sangro Italy 13th in C1/B

10/11 Val di Sangro Italy 7th in C1/B

11/12 Val di Sangro Italy 6th in C1/B

12/13 Val di Sangro (left 5.6.13) Italy 2nd in C1/B Lost in Playoff Semi's

12/13 Brechin City (joined 25.6.13, left 10.8.13)

13/14 Ancona (joined 16.3.14) Italy 4th in C2/A Lost in Playoff Semi's

14/15 Ancona Italy 1st in C2/A Promotion, C2 Super Cup Winners

15/16 Ancona Italy 9th in C1/A

16/17 Ancona Italy 4th in C1/A Lost in Playoff Final

17/18 Ancona Italy 1st in C1/A Promotion, Serie C Cup Winners, Serie C1 Super Cup runners up

18/19 Ancona (left 29.8.18) Italy

18/19 Elche (joined 3.3.19) Spain 9th in Liga BBVA

19/20 Elche (left 27.5.20) Spain 4th in Liga BBVA

20/21 Wigan (joined 27.5.20) England 1st in Championship Promotion

21/22 Wigan (left 4.8.21)

21/22 Manchester United (joined 4.8.21) England 3rd in Championship Lost in Playoff Final

22/23 Manchester United England 3rd in Championship Won the Playoffs - Promoted!

23/24 Manchester United England 11th in Premier League

24/25 Manchester United England 14th in Premier League Won the League Cup

</pre>

2007/08 Stranraer Update

Just a short update. Finished my first season in charge of Stranraer and only managed to get 6th place.

I am over my wage budget, and have scouts that cant find anything in my price range.

Am finding this game is running a lot faster than my previous one.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2007/08 Stranraer Scotland Third Division 6th

</pre>

End of 2008 Update - ABC FC

Well, the second stage of the third division turned out tougher than I expected. After breezing through the first stage in dominant fashion I thought we were unlucky to be drawn with Bahia, a team who had dominated their first stage group in similar style. With only 6 games to play, I knew it would be tight. We were well beaten by Bahia home and away but also thrashed the bottom side Confianca. That brought it all down to our clashes with Corinthians (not the Corinthians obviously!). I thought a win at home and a draw away was enough but they somehow manged to get a win away to Bahia on the final day and finished ahead on goal difference! icon_redface.gif

I'm now holidaying through the next three months as I don't have a game until the Potiguar State Championship starts in January. The board want me to reach the final, which I think I will have to do in order to keep my job. Let's see how my team reacts under pressure!

END OF SEASON REPORT 07/08

My first season saw me be unemployed for about a week with sweidsh second division south team IFK hasselholm who were 5th with 10 games left when I joined with no money and 1k over budget I thought I was in trouble but no quite a good team good morale and good results saw me win the league and be promoted to the First division North but i resigned after being given no transfer budget whats next for me....

End of Season 1 - QUB

My first season as a football manager and on the field it did not go too bad at all. We went into the season not expecting much and the media predicted an 11th place finish out of 12.

Final League

As you can see, we finished 7th which if offered at the start I would have been very happy with. But we were well placed during mid-season and even spent a period at the top. We were there or thereabouts for most of the season until we lost progress at the end. We lost to the bottom 2 at home on successive weeks which never helped at all.

In the cups, we didnt do too badly either. Claimed a scalp of 1st division side Carrick and also put in good performances against other 1st division teams.

My best player would have to be Lorcan Fairmichael who was my target man for the season. He started as a complete donkey dont get me wrong, but scored a load of goals in the end at put some good performances in.

Another good performer was Michael McCready who was consistent throughout. I enjoyed a lot of attacks from my wide players and he was by far my best winger.

So on the pitch it was a good season. Off the pitch it was anything but. I really dont get on with my board for one. They never give the team the praise it deserves and always pick out negative aspects in our team.

Also im being blamed for the clubs terrible finances! I arrived with a £1600 wage bill but only a £250 budget. This meant the board allowed me no money at all on wages and cancelled every player i attempted to sign.

I think im in the fans good books but i had to regain their trust after I applied for a job elsewhere and the media made it public.

As for next season i have a dilemma. I am confident I can get this team better in the league but I would love a bit of money to play with. Should I leave?

2007/08 QUB N.Ireland Second Division 7th

</pre>

Hope this worked

Originally posted by matty_8:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by markcator3006:

Well done Matty, not that far off promotion.

Best of luck for next season icon14.gif

you think I should stay though? I need some cash and I really dont like this board </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was thinking about leaving as my team is in debt. Decided to stick with them for another season to see if I can push for promotion to the Super League.

Also signed some 16 year old who my scout says is already twice as good as my other centre backs, which tbf probably isnt hard.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by matty_8:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by markcator3006:

Well done Matty, not that far off promotion.

Best of luck for next season icon14.gif

you think I should stay though? I need some cash and I really dont like this board </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was thinking about leaving as my team is in debt. Decided to stick with them for another season to see if I can push for promotion to the Super League.

Also signed some 16 year old who my scout says is already twice as good as my other centre backs, which tbf probably isnt hard. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

at least you can sign players icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by dafuge:

I've not seen this squad personality before. It is quite appropriate though, I think this is one of the best free transfer squads I've ever had in this league.

Now I've cursed it I'll be expecting a relegation battle.

Not seen that either, where you looking for certain types of players then (ambitious?)?

Originally posted by Scoham:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

I've not seen this squad personality before. It is quite appropriate though, I think this is one of the best free transfer squads I've ever had in this league.

Now I've cursed it I'll be expecting a relegation battle.

Not seen that either, where you looking for certain types of players then (ambitious?)? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not at all, I've signed a complete mixture of personalities.

Although saying that, all of the players I have signed have one thing in common, they are young. There are only 5 players in my squad who are not teenagers and they are 20, 20, 20, 21 and 23. Perhaps it is my young squad with potential that is the reason for this description.

Season 2 update(altho im not sure anyone taking any notice icon_confused.gif)

after getting promoted as champions in my first season,i was quickly brough back down to earth when my Unterhaching side really struggled to get to grips with the German 2nd division.

an early cup exit(again first round did not help the funds much either

13 was expected and after 3 times changing formation at crucial stages and each bringing a short term burst i did indeed finish 13th(bottom 2 relegated)

league table

despite this i have yet to be offered a new contract,and indeed when i approached the board they said they were not willing to negotiate at the present time,despit me meeting goals of the 5 year plan in year 2

they seem happy enough right? > confidence

the clubs balance is even looking healthier now and i have not spent a penny on transfer fees and have never been over the wage budget.

average attendance of around 3500-4000 doesnt help when others are getting 35000-55000

looks now as tho i wont be offered a new contract so shall be looking for a new position hopefully successfully in the summer. icon_rolleyes.gif

Originally posted by wsopchamp08:

Season 2 update(altho im not sure anyone taking any notice icon_confused.gif)

after getting promoted as champions in my first season,i was quickly brough back down to earth when my Unterhaching side really struggled to get to grips with the German 2nd division.

an early cup exit(again first round did not help the funds much either

13 was expected and after 3 times changing formation at crucial stages and each bringing a short term burst i did indeed finish 13th(bottom 2 relegated)

league table

despite this i have yet to be offered a new contract,and indeed when i approached the board they said they were not willing to negotiate at the present time,despit me meeting goals of the 5 year plan in year 2

they seem happy enough right? > confidence

the clubs balance is even looking healthier now and i have not spent a penny on transfer fees and have never been over the wage budget.

average attendance of around 3500-4000 doesnt help when others are getting 35000-55000

looks now as tho i wont be offered a new contract so shall be looking for a new position hopefully successfully in the summer. icon_rolleyes.gif

left it late but new contract offer

i am going to accept because i believe i can take this club further still and have signed some good youngsters that im not prepared to leave in the hands of anybody else icon_cool.gif

Archived