AI Experiment - The Bandits are back for FM09

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I the only one still rooting for the Bandits, now that the Sherriffs are here?:confused:

No worries, slipknot. I don't think we're the only ones. And, when the Sheriffs shoot themselves in the foot (Oh, yeah. That pun's intentional, baby!), these fad-chasing turncoats will come crawling back with their tails between their legs.

'Mon the Bandits!

And, when the Sheriffs shoot themselves in the foot (Oh, yeah. That pun's intentional, baby!), these fad-chasing turncoats will come crawling back with their tails between their legs.

That made me laugh, nice one! :D

Can you really call yourself a "massive Bandits fan" if you've never read the first 40 years of the experiment?

A question for other Bandits fans.

Fair point. But i was a total addict once i found the thread! Now that i'm in from the start it will be daily reading!!! Hee hee!

In reality these season updates are realistically going to take maybe 3 times as long as last years ones. Making a 70 year experiment about 6 years or real life :eek:

Thats just my prediction anyway. This'll be a long one

*Shoves the Star on his chest*

For once I have to agree with Iacovone, I'm all for the LAW! Lets arrest those bandits and put them in the cells. Relegation in season 1 following all the superstars being unhappy with each other and refusing to pass.

:eek:

Never thought I'd see the day

Yeah this is the problem with the added detail this time - to be honest i can see this one only lasting 10-20 years for that reason alone. Kip - i hope if this does happen, you'll start again and just run the English leagues? Would still be an interesting experiment, i reckon...

Can't you delete all previous information in your game? If Kip backed his game up every season all the details would be preserved anyway and the current game would have no previous information so it would be like new again. I'm sure that would make holidaying faster.

22 sections planned?

Well, looks like it will be a very thorough update, but I personally would rather see a few less sections and a few more updates... maybe some of the sections might only be done every few season? (although, of course, it's all up to Kip, and whatever he chooses, we'll all be grateful for it!)

And it's back for 2009!

I loved this experiment, and followed (all be it very quietly) since it's inception. Right now I can say that while I'm a massive bandits fan I'm going to do a Anakin Skywalker and move over to the dark side.... Up the Sheriffs!

I don't know why, but I love an underdog, and the sheriffs (should) be the good guys!

Eagerly awaiting an update....

22 sections planned?

Well, looks like it will be a very thorough update, but I personally would rather see a few less sections and a few more updates... maybe some of the sections might only be done every few season? (although, of course, it's all up to Kip, and whatever he chooses, we'll all be grateful for it!)

I agree, with the original experiment I often ended up skipping past some sections because it was too much. World beaters for example, just didn't interest me, but I guess everyone has different perspectives on this which makes it a great read.

Hi kipfizh, long time fan of the original experiment here, just wanted to join in with saying how much I'm looking forward to this new version.

Also had a small suggestion/request to make. Rather than just calling the original superstars by their position (Goalkeeper 1 etc.) do think it would be possible to let us know what they are all called and maybe refer to them by their name and position during the updates? e.g. Michael Jones (Goalkeeper 1). It just strikes me that the biggest stars of the original experiment were people like Ryan Morley and Danny Gamble and Carlo Lupo, and it might be easier to get attached to the original stars if we knew their names (also true of the idiots; we could hate them as much as we hated Maia).

Folks, this time their actual names are 'Striker 3', and so on. It is just easier to track that way, otherwise you'll be scrolling around trying to remember where Clive Jones plays.

As for those worried about the game detail, don't. Yes, it took a few extra hours to run the season with all the detail, but that pales in comparison to the amount of time it takes to write the report up. And the other countries are just covered in a brief section telling you who has won what. So that isn't what is delaying the report.

What is delaying the report is work commitments :) But it is progressing nicely. I will be asking for feedback on the report structure after I post, and I welcome criticism :)

Oh, and I'll probably be joining Twitter soon.

Hi kipfizh, long time fan of the original experiment here, just wanted to join in with saying how much I'm looking forward to this new version.

Also had a small suggestion/request to make. Rather than just calling the original superstars by their position (Goalkeeper 1 etc.) do think it would be possible to let us know what they are all called and maybe refer to them by their name and position during the updates? e.g. Michael Jones (Goalkeeper 1). It just strikes me that the biggest stars of the original experiment were people like Ryan Morley and Danny Gamble and Carlo Lupo, and it might be easier to get attached to the original stars if we knew their names (also true of the idiots; we could hate them as much as we hated Maia).

But what will us Sheriff fans chant if they have real names...?

C'mon everyone "His name is idiot and his shirt is number one!" :D

(they will catch on, just give them time)

Kip - im not worried so much about the time it takes to run a season, but the load your computer will have to take. On that detail level, i can see the game packing up in 10-20 years and crashing each time....possibly taking your pc with it if you're unlucky...

But i guess you know what you're doing!!

Oh, and I'll probably be joining Twitter soon.

Any time you spend typing a pithy 140 character comment could be better spent typing 140 characters into a post-season report :p

VB - who hasn't got a Myinvisiblefriends, Facebookofinvisiblefriends or Chirpingaboutephemera account and can't understand the appeal.

There are rumours that Chuck 'The Texas Ranger' Norris will be joining The Sheriffs in next few days. In that case, running this experiment form Bandits point of view is mostly pointless.

Yay! Its finally here.

Predictions

• Half the Bandits, including both Strikers, will be gone to the championship or midlle - lower Prem sides.

• The rest by the end of the seson, minus goalkeeper two will be gone. Goalie two will stay tilll season 3

• The idiots will end up at Tottenham, Newcastle and Lazio

• A game will end Bandits 22 - 0 Opposition

• Bandits first with no defeats or draws, Sheriffs 2nd with 2 defeats, both to Bandits.

• Shefiffs manager sacked after 2 seasons. Bandits leaves after 3

• Top Flight for Bandits in 20 years. Coming in 10th - 5th for ten years. Then 2nd next and round of 16 dropouts from champs league. Mid-tabe obscurity for another ten, with 5 league cups. 3 successive Relegations and promations. An FA cup win follows and a Prem win in 65 years.

• Idiots turn into Rafa Benitez like managers, suffer a mental break down and turn into angry editorial writers, complaining how the game was better in their days.

Phew.

Archived