kipfizh

AI Experiment - The Bandits are back for FM09

2,155 posts in this topic

Regarding a few points:

I will probably start the Bandits and Sheriffs a rung or two lower than usual, because their rise up the leagues in comparison to each other is interesting.

I may consider reducing the starting CA of the starlets to 100 this time, which will still be overpoweringly high for that league. The issue is that lowering the CA can make the idiots pointless, because their poor approach to training means their CA does not improve, in fact it tends to go down. Last time, everyone started at 150, the idiots dropped into the 140s, while the starlets found the peak. Perhaps an interesting twist would be to given the idiots a HIGHER CA than the starlets, to counterbalance the Bandits' advantage of having 22 superkids. 150 CA for the idiots, 100 for the starlets? Perhaps...

Giving the starlets a minimum fee release clause is likely to change nothing. A club in the 7th/8th tier of English football is still going to accept a bid of a few million for a player, irrespective of a 100m minimum fee release clause.

I think I'll still have to include a set of leagues from the start, and not try to take too much advantage of the on/off nation switching. If, for example, a starlet moves to Turkey, then yes, I'll switch that league on, but I suspect that if a league isn't switched on, they are less likely to go there in the first place. So plenty will have to be on by default.

Great to see you back Kip, your experiments have been nothing short of fantastic (can't believe they started with FM07!)

Would you consider giving each of the players a proper name? e.g Gary Goalkeeper, Duncan Defender, Wally Winger etc. etc. Just to give them a wee
bit more personality?? I think it would help us keep a track of individual careers as well.

As you have alluded to, it may be time to make the idiots a little less, well, idiotic. I do think a 50 point difference between them and the Bandits is a little too
large though, can't have the Bandits getting thrashed by their arch rivals can we!

Good luck chap!

[quote name='kipfizh']150 CA for the idiots, 100 for the starlets? Perhaps...[/QUOTE]

I've read every single post in both experiments,wonderful stuff kip! :)

Unfortunately the idiots in 09 were rather pointless to the story imho,could not be foreseen.

You can't give the idiots 100 CA,rather set it higher than 150? :) My 2 centavos.

Do a little dance, make a little love, Kip is back. You're going to give an extra dimension to my FM experience!

OOOh.....the bandits are coming...the bandits are coming!!!!! I Cannot Wait!!!!

[quote name='kipfizh']Regarding a few points:

I may consider reducing the starting CA of the starlets to 100 this time, which will still be overpoweringly high for that league. The issue is that lowering the CA can make the idiots pointless, because their poor approach to training means their CA does not improve, in fact it tends to go down. Last time, everyone started at 150, the idiots dropped into the 140s, while the starlets found the peak. Perhaps an interesting twist would be to given the idiots a HIGHER CA than the starlets, to counterbalance the Bandits' advantage of having 22 superkids. 150 CA for the idiots, 100 for the starlets? Perhaps...
.[/QUOTE]

I definitely like this idea :thup:

More starting CA for idiots is a good point imo Kip. Even though they manage to improve that CA their personalities will still hold them back whereas the starlets will eventually grow into world beaters barring back to back season long injuries.

[quote name='kipfizh']Regarding a few points:

I will probably start the Bandits and Sheriffs a rung or two lower than usual, because their rise up the leagues in comparison to each other is interesting.

Giving the starlets a minimum fee release clause is likely to change nothing. A club in the 7th/8th tier of English football is still going to accept a bid of a few million for a player, irrespective of a 100m minimum fee release clause.

I think I'll still have to include a set of leagues from the start, and not try to take too much advantage of the on/off nation switching. If, for example, a starlet moves to Turkey, then yes, I'll switch that league on, but I suspect that if a league isn't switched on, they are less likely to go there in the first place. So plenty will have to be on by default.[/QUOTE]

Actually With 200 PA and Good Training setup I wonder if 50-100-150 mixture what can be done... Another question can be youth 50CA Squad in Starlets Youth Team With an A Team with 100 CA Starlets Team Can Do. If Bandits manager try to educate 50 CA to true potential or after selling the 100 CA (or 150 CA) main starlets or just release? (I suggest despite 22 superkids - 33 kids with 11 /150CA - 11/ 100CA and 11/ 50 CA with World Beaters PA )

I've read that 3 times now and I still can't make sense of it :D

Think the suggestion is to have 33 starlets, 11 with a CA of 150, 11 with a CA of 100 and 11 with a CA of 50, but all with PA of 200.

The question then is whether the Bandits manager would try and stick with the 50CA starlets or just release them.

Can't wait for the next saga.

The usual suspects are all back too.

Fantastic!

C'mon you Bandits!

Cool, I think it is all planned then - thanks for the ideas everyone. Now I just need to buy the game.

On that note, I used to get FMs in January, which usually tied in nicely with the final patch. But with it all Steam-based now, do we even have a notion of 'this is the last patch' anymore?

I've been happily lurking for ages, its a great thread.

[quote name='BuffaloPhil']Think the suggestion is to have 33 starlets, 11 with a CA of 150, 11 with a CA of 100 and 11 with a CA of 50, but all with PA of 200.

The question then is whether the Bandits manager would try and stick with the 50CA starlets or just release them.[/QUOTE]

Maybe make it a smaller squad, say, 3 times 7 or 8 players instead? That way its more likely that the lower CA starlets get some playing time, aiding their development.

[quote name='kipfizh']Cool, I think it is all planned then - thanks for the ideas everyone. Now I just need to buy the game.

On that note, I used to get FMs in January, which usually tied in nicely with the final patch. But with it all Steam-based now, do we even have a notion of 'this is the last patch' anymore?[/QUOTE]

I doubt it's going to change much. Sure, Steam makes it easier to introduce patches (and perhaps that will mean there are later fixes than have been provided in previous years) but I don't see why that would affect the traditional major update in January. It would be very odd for SI to change their development cycle on the basis of Steam.

[quote name='civilservant']You could just set your steam to offline after January Kip - that way it wont auto patch....[/QUOTE]

No need to set Steam to offline, you just need to right-click the game, go to properties, and then disable updates. Besides, I'm not convinced that would really help in any way.

"Besides, I'm not convinced that would really help in any way."

Apart from keeping an experiments paramaters the same of course *rollseye*

[quote name='civilservant']"Besides, I'm not convinced that would really help in any way."

Apart from keeping an experiments paramaters the same of course *rollseye*[/QUOTE]

Yes, but what actual benefit does that provide? Patches tend to fix game bugs, and it would presumably be wise to run the experiment with those fixes in place. It's not as if they're going to suddenly recode a major feature of the game in a post-January patch.

None of Kip's experiments have relied on repetition of results or consistency, they're purely about the AI exhibited by the game and possibly a side-experiment of how the players progress.