AI Experiment - The Bandits are back for FM09

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His website in his profile is listed as The Beautiful Groan, its an Arsenal blog, as a gooner I check it out, it has been updated recently, I'm fairly sure he is the blogger as he stopped blogging for a while when he moved, of course it could just be a fluke that both kip and the blogger moved at the same time.

It's been almost 5 months since I last checked this thread and in that time there has been only 1 season and 1 world cup played :eek::(

I'm sure Kip will at some point let us know what's going on, but if the experiment is finished I'd like to request something that was promised at the start of the last experiment but never happened, the uploading of the database. Both the starting point and the current save so that I can play it myself and see how it goes for me.

It's been almost 5 months since I last checked this thread and in that time there has been only 1 season and 1 world cup played :eek::(

I'm sure Kip will at some point let us know what's going on, but if the experiment is finished I'd like to request something that was promised at the start of the last experiment but never happened, the uploading of the database. Both the starting point and the current save so that I can play it myself and see how it goes for me.

While I hope it isnt over, I second that!

I think maybe he's been away for so long because he's recently discovered XBox Live. :D He's pretty active on there, so it proves that he's both net connected and has some free time. I get the feeling that he's just reached a point where he's lost the heart to continue with a commitment as big as The Bandits... Shame, but good luck to him.

I've e-mailed him in the hope of some kind of official word, but have got no reply as yet.

Maybe it's time for someone else to carry the torch and set up a similar experiment on FM10?

I hope Kip comes on here and says he doesn't want to continue the experiment if that's what the situation is. I appreciate the fella may be busy etc but I'm sure people here are willing to step up to the plate and continue his legacy!

• 2 weeks later...

I hope Kip does return, his updates are the stuff of legend. If he has chose to put it to rest I would like to think he would let us know that the Bandits are no more. The Torch could always be passed to another, big shoes to step into though.

Maybe this is another experiment...... How long will a thread stay active with no updates on team etc?

A horrible thought...... Maybe the save was corrupted and all data is lost and Kip doesn't know how to break the bad news?

Maybe we'll never know this could become an Urban Legend. In years to come people will hear tell of The Bandits and the Name of Kip will be mentioned and people will ask "Do you know him? Is there an Update coming?"

It's amazing that we all still live in hope, months after Kip's last post. I give up hope on some threads if the creator hasn't posted in a week, and even some if they haven't posted in a few hours (this is one person in particular ;))

Well hello there.

I must admit I wondered if the thread would be dead, deleted or at least abandoned in my very lengthy absence. It has certainly been a while, so I appreciate the patience, and anyone coming back to see if it was still going.

It has been an...interesting...few months. I'm not going to go into details, but suffice to say the experiment, plus a whole bunch of other things I do, have not been at the forefront of my mind. Certain things needed dropping, and this was amongst them. The astute amongst you noticed that the blog I write is still going, but I have sponsors there, so disappearing is not really an option.

For those who contacted me on facebook - I haven't been there either, please don't think I'm being rude and ignoring you.

So I haven't been back here because it has been a million miles from my mind, but also because I never had any intention of confirming it over (hence no 'it's over' post). And it isn't over.

All is good with me, everyone is healthy and happy, so there is nothing to worry about. A break was just required.

So it seems like a good time to recap where we were. I'd forgotten, so you probably have as well. Essentially, the Bandits had just destroyed League One, and were about to join the Sheriffs in the Championship, after their first attempt in the division ended in the playoffs.

The rivalry was set to renew, and it promised to be a cracking season.

Season 2014-15

Club reports – Summer Transfers

The Bandits and the Sheriffs were back in the same league after the former had completely dominated League One, and the latter failed in a decent effort to get their fifth successive promotion, this time to the Premiership. Both squads were relatively even in strength, and both were looking for bragging rights.

Bandits

As ever, the Bandits begun the summer by clearing out players who would not cut it at this level. Less departed than in previous years, testament perhaps to the fact that many of the squad should be able to handle the step up.

Looking around the league, the stars of the division are two Fulham players over 160 CA, while there are seven other players over 150 CA. Given that six of those are West Brom players, and the other at Fulham again, it is clear who the promotion favourites are. In fact, the entire top ten of the league are from those two clubs. A CA of 140 is very good, while there are well over a hundred players with 130 CA.

The first two signings of the summer were free transfers. The first, Craig Forsyth, was uninspiring, the left back unable to progress past his CA of 105. At 25, he is simply a recognition that the club is not abundant in that area. Next to arrive was Danny Woodards, also a full back but on the right hand side. At 30, he is a short term signing, and his CA of 117 is merely okay at this level.

Woodards was then trumped by Fredrik Stoor, a £1.3m capture from Fulham. Primarily a right back but with the ability to play anywhere across the back, the 30 year old has a CA of 129, and should cope fine at this level.

The manager was going for experience, and he continued with a £2.4m signing from West Brom – Steve Sidwell, whose CA of 148 instantly (and comfortably) made him the club's best player, and the 13th best player in the league. The central midfielder was an excellent signing, even at 31.

The money continued to be spent, £1.9m more being spent on central midfielder Darren Pratley, a 29 year old with 135 CA. Again, he should be absolutely fine in the Championship.

Next came a double raid on Cardiff – defensive midfielder Distel Zola costing £475k and versatile winger Adam Hammill arriving for £1.1m. At 25, the former is unlikely to improve much from his CA of 127, although his PA of 158 suggests he could have been more of a player, while the latter has a very decent CA of 135, ten away from his potential. At 26, he is approaching the best part of his career.

Next, the manager went for youth, spending £2m on Arsenal youth prospect Dean Brown, a 17 year old centre back already capped by England at U19 level. With a CA of 120, very high for someone his age, and a PA of 159, he is an excellent signing for the future.

Two more signings came in. The first was a good one – Steven Smith had been released by Rangers, so the Bandits duly snapped the left back up. The 29 year old is in the prime of his career, and with a CA of 139 should thrive in the Championship.

The final signing was another cracker – Johnathan Kerr arriving for £1.4m from Norwich. The 22 year old attacking midfielder already has a CA of 137, plenty good enough for his league, while his PA of 167 excites many.

And that was that. The manager had strengthened, both with experience for the short term, and youth for the longer view. After complete dominance of League One, they had every reason to be optimistic.

Sheriffs

For the first time in five years, the Sheriffs had failed to gain promotion, but it did mean that for once they didn't have to sign an entire new squad before the campaign got under way. However, with only three players over 130 CA in a league that contained over 100, a certain level of strengthening was a good plan, especially now their great rivals had joined the league.

As with the Bandits, they started the summer with a clearout, and while most of these were unwanted players, there was one surprise with Daniel Philliskirk, the 23 year old midfielder heading towards his 140+ PA, who refused to sign a new contract and left for the SPL, where he now plays for St. Johnstone.

Needing more players over 130 CA, the Sheriffs then got straight to action, paying Plymouth £2.5m for Kelvin Wilson, who is equally strong at centre back or right back. At 28, he is an instant solution, someone at his peak, and his CA of 132 should add plenty to their back line.

Next, they looked to the offensive side of their game, signing attacking midfielder John Bostock from Rangers for £1.2m. His was a stunning capture in truth, the 22 year old's CA of 132 not only making him a superb player for his age, but his PA of 164 indicating that he can go on to be a star.

Another youngster arrived next, 21 year old Chris Craig coming in on a free. The left winger has only 100 CA, but can reach 150 if he trains well, so costing nothing his is another good signing.

Next came striker Ashley Grimes, a £425k capture from Norwich, and a player more for this season. At 27, his CA of 125 is unlikely to improve.

The final two signings were both free transfers, Stephen Elliott and David Campbell. Neither are likely to add much – the former is a 30 year old striker with 115 CA, and the latter a 20 year old defensive midfielder with a CA of only 86. His PA is 139 but he will take a long time to get there, if at all.

At the end of the summer, the Sheriffs had definitely improved, going from three 130 CA players to five, but it wasn't the dramatic improvement fans were looking for. Perhaps having only just missed out on promotion the manager was looking only to tweak the side.

It promised to be a very interesting season.

Club reports – August-December

Bandits

The media were going against their usual trick of predicting that a newly promoted side would drop straight back down a division. Perhaps recognising the dominance the Bandits had in League One, they've gone for an 11th placed finish.

The pre-season was a struggle, losing three out of five games, and the fixture list wasn't kind either, giving them a trip to Fulham on the opening day of the season. With the only two 160 CA players in the division, Fulham were favourites for the league, and emphasised that by scoring after only two minutes. But it was to be the only shot on target they had in the entire game, as the Bandits made a great impression on their debut in the league, Cameron Jerome's equaliser giving them the point they deserved.

Next up was the League Cup, and a trip to League Two Swindon. The first hour meandered along, Maynard putting the Bandits ahead, but then it all happened – Kerr made it 2-0, before Swindon pulled one back. With ten minutes to go Maynard seemed to have sealed the tie with his second, but Swindon brought it back to 3-2 with four minutes to go. But two minutes later, it really was all over, Nicky Weaver scoring an own goal as the Bandits ran out 4-2 winners.

The goal spree continued at Birmingham in the next game. The match was poised beautifully at 2-2 after an hour, but the Bandits ran riot in the latter stages, rattling in four unanswered goals to triumph 6-2 and send a massive statement out to the rest of the league.

They finally got to play a home match next, against Hull, and two Chris Eagles goals ensured that they picked up another three points. Days later, they faced a trip to Premiership Bolton in the League Cup, and in a match where both teams threw plenty forward, the shot count ending 20-17 in Bolton's favour, no-one could break the deadlock. Penalties were inevitable, and after both sides scored six of their first seven spot kicks, Kim Dong-Jin missed Bolton's eighth, and Steven Smith put the Bandits through. It was a great giant killing.

If both keepers were in form in the League Cup game, it was nothing compared to Coventry's stopper in the next league game, single handedly earning his team a 0-0 draw. But the Bandits were still shining when the transfer window closed at the end of August, and looked set up for a great season in the Championship.

Sheriffs

The Sheriffs opened their second Championship campaign in cagey fashion, holding Sheff Wed to a 0-0 draw in a match that featured only one shot on target, a nod back to the days when the Sheriffs never threatened away from home. But drawn away to League One Colchester in the League Cup, the goals flowed, and the 3-2 victory was fully deserved.

Back in the league, they were struggling – despite taking the lead at Coventry, they went down 2-1, and then even more surprisingly followed it up with a home defeat, Sheff Utd escaping with the three points by the same scoreline.

They had a chance to redeem themselves away at Charlton in the League Cup, with the opponents struggling down in League Two. But once again they struggled to threaten away from home, and while Charlton never looked like scoring, they took the tie to penalties without too many scares. Once they had managed that, their kicks were flawless, and with Nathan Dyer failing with his kick, the Sheriffs became the victims of a cup shock, exiting to a side two divisions down.

Playing West Brom, tipped for promotion, when you've only taken one point from your first three game is not ideal, but after a tight game, the Sheriffs were awarded a penalty with six minutes to go, Madine converting. Coleman then added a second in injury time and a vital win was achieved.

At this point, the transfer window shut, with the Sheriffs not making the strongest start to the season. But we know from the last campaign that there is plenty of talent in their squad.

The televised clash

September 20 had been pencilled in by Sky at the start of the season as the day they'd show the two rivals playing each other for the first time in two seasons.

But first came a couple of league games. The Bandits suffered their first reverse of the season, going down 3-2 to Sheff Wed despite dominating large parts of the match, but regained form with a thumping 4-0 win over Wigan, who completely lost the plot after the fourth goal, having two men sent off in the same minute – the first for a reckless challenge and the second for protesting in the aftermath.

The Sheriffs matched the results, losing 2-1 at Wigan before also coming back with a thumping home win – 4-1 over Southend. Both sides went into the clash feeling optimistic.

The Bandits' ground was almost full, an attendance of 139975 would see the two teams meet once more, and with the home side pressing, Cameron Jerome gave them a deserved half time lead. The Sheriffs tried to answer in the second half, but struggled against an excellent Bandits performance, and when Steve Smith added a second it was game over.

The Sheriffs were knocked back, and struggled in their next home game against Crystal Palace. Unusually for them, they were failing to create any chances, until Elliott popped up with a minute to go to pinch a vital three points. The Bandits, meanwhile, were still in the League Cup, but not for long, a 2-0 home reverse to Premiership Blackburn was an indication of the gap between the two leagues. Nonetheless, they followed up the disappointment with an excellent 2-1 win at Barnsley, Fredrik Stoor with a brace, including an injury time winner.

The month ended in spectacular fashion for the Bandits, securing a massive 5-0 win over Plymouth to sit proudly on top of the league. But the Sheriffs' woeful away form continued with another defeat, this time 1-0 to QPR, and they finished the month languishing in 18th, and desperately needing to improve.

Championship – End of September

Bandits – pushing on

After a great start to the season, the Bandits were looking to continue their push towards the Premiership as winter approached. But as October began, the goals dried up, and consecutive scoreless draws with QPR and Southampton knocked them back a peg. A 1-1 draw with Watford continued the sequence.

But as the month came to an end, the form returned, first with a hard fought 1-0 win over Stoke, and then an excellent 3-2 victory away to Bristol City.

November saw wins at home and draws away, with three out of three visitors dispatched – Leicester 3-1, West Brom 4-0 (including an Idiot Goalkeeper own goal) and Crystal Palace 4-0. Away from home, the Bandits achieved decent 1-1 draws at Sheff Utd and Southend, before ending the month with a 2-1 victory at Bournemouth. Since the Blackburn defeat in the Carling Cup, they had been unbeaten in thirteen, and were a point clear of Fulham at the top. Promotion was becoming a serious possibility.

Their form continued to impress in December, Jerome's brace helping them to a 2-1 win over Cardiff before a late equaliser denied them in a 2-2 draw at Derby. Bradford and then Birmingham were dispatched 3-0 and 2-1 respectively in a continuation of their stunning home form, before their long unbeaten run finally came to an end with a 2-0 defeat at Hull.

The final game of the calendar year was a vital one – by now the Bandits and Fulham had opened up a big gap at the top, but the Bandits were ahead of their rivals by two points. Fulham had always been clear favourites for the league, with a quality of squad far superior to anyone else in the league, but needed to win to finish the year on top. The match itself was a tight one, but was eventually decided by a single goal – Jim McAlister scoring with the Bandits' only shot on target.

It had been an incredible half season. The Bandits ended 2014 top of the Championship by five points, and a massive fourteen points ahead of third. Automatic promotion seems imminent, and a leap to the big time.

Sheriffs – needing to recover

While the Bandits had started the season well, the Sheriffs had struggled badly. Their away form was the real problem, but the start of November saw that blown away, with a superb 3-0 win at Barnsley. But when one issue is resolved, another springs up, and they followed that result with a poor pair of home performances – a goalless draw with Bournemouth and a 1-0 defeat by Cardiff.

Then they returned to type. By the end of November they had won four out of four home games, with four clean sheets – 1-0 wins over Derby, Birmingham and Hull, and a 2-0 victory over Bradford. But away from home, they picked up two points in four games – creditable draws at Southampton and Stoke sandwiched around losses at Plymouth and Watford. Their home form had at least pushed them into midtable, but nothing more.

They needed away points, and they got them in the next game, an impressive 2-0 win at Bristol City. But to push on, they needed to pick up points away while maintaining home form, which was always going to be tricky with Fulham arriving in the next match. The league favourites can be clinical, and ran riot in front of the Sheriffs' disbelieving supporters, leaving town with a 4-0 victory, and humiliating their hosts.

Fortunately, the Sheriffs had two more home games to follow, and a chance to regain form. Despite some shaky moments, both Leicester and Cardiff were beaten 2-1, as the Sheriffs tried to rebuild their fragile confidence. And they would end the year well, a good defensive performance giving them a goalless draw at Sheff Utd, before a 3-0 win over Sheff Wed capped off the year.

Despite their strife, they finished 2014 just one point away from the playoffs, thanks to a very tight league. The Bandits were fifteen points better off, to the chagrin of their fans, but despite they and Fulham dominating the league, the rest are very close. Another playoff campaign could still be in the offing.

Championship – End of December

Club reports – January Transfers

Bandits

The Bandits had cruised through the first half of the season, and with promotion looking more than likely, the remaining questions were whether they could take the title, and how far they could go in the FA Cup.

Perhaps unsurprisingly then, the manager decided not to spend heavily in the transfer window, bringing in just two players. The first, Chris Dagnall, is a 28 year old striker signed from Rochdale for £180k. With a CA of 109, he is well behind the established Maynard and Jerome, but provides decent backup.

The second was Jamie Devitt, a £45k capture from Motherwell, and a very decent right winger. The 24 year old has a CA of 116, which has plenty of distance to go on the road to his PA of 139.

Otherwise, the existing squad were trusted, and with the performances they've put in so far, that came as no surprise.

Bandits Transfers

Sheriffs

The Sheriffs were in a slightly different position. Impotent away from home, they were still in with a good shout of reaching the playoffs if they improved in the second half of the season.

Signings could be hugely beneficial, and the manager got straight to work, signing Welsh international Lewin Nyatanga for £425k from Cardiff. The 26 year old can play at left or centre back, and his CA of 133 makes him the best the club has in either position, and only two CA of being the best player in the squad. A very good start.

Next in was Keith Fahey, a £375k signing from Burnley. The 32 year old right or central midfielder can only be described at backup, with a 107 CA.

The final signing wasn't particularly inspiring either, Joel Ward arriving for £60k from Hibernian. The 25 year old centre back can only increase his CA of 113 by one point, and is again backup.

So the only signing likely to make a difference is Nyatanga, but he might make all the difference.

Sheriffs Transfers

Bandits report - squad

Top 20 in Squad (sorted by CA)

Name, Pos, Age, CA-PA

Sidwell, 32, MC, 148-150 – new signing

Smith, 29, D/WB L, 139-146 – new signing

Kerr, 23, AM LC, 137-167 – new signing

Ecuele Manga, 26, DC, 136-155 (-)

Gardner, 28, DR/MC, 136-145 (+1)

Brown, 18, DC, 135-159 – new signing

Hammill, 27, AM RL, 135-145 – new signing

Eagles, 29, AM RLC, 135-140 (-)

Jerome, 28, ST, 135-140 (-1)

Pratley, 30, MC, 135-140 – new signing

Johnson, 32, DC, 132-140 (-1)

Zola, 26, DM, 129-158 – new signing

Stoor, 31, D RLC, 129-135 – new signing

Maynard, 28, ST, 126-135 (-)

Etherington, 33, AML, 118-138 (-6)

Devitt, 24, MR, 117-139 – new signing

McAlister, 29, WB L/AM RL, 117-119 (-)

Armstrong, 32, D/WB L, 116-125 (-1)

Bryant, 21, DC, 115-176 (+8)

Woodards, 31, DR, 113-131 – new signing

Players in last season’s top 20 who have left the club:

Small, 30, AM RL, 118-122

Bates, 27, DC/DM, 116-135

Stewart, 33, MC, 107-127

Osman, 27, MC, 105-110

Pipe, 30, D/WB/M R, 104-110

Brown, 25, M RC, 102-139

Players in last season’s top 20 who have dropped out of the top 20:

Kalonas, 31, DM, 110-128 (-2)

Williams, 32, GK, 109-119 (+2)

King, 21, AM R/ST, 106-154 (+7)

Little, 26, DC/ST, 106-112 (+2)

The standard of the squad keeps on improving, and the likes of Kerr could be the mainstay of the club for years.

Notable others:

Essam, 17, DC, 79-156 – promoted from youth academy

CA of X or above:

190 : 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00

180 : 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00

170 : 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00

160 : 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00

150 : 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00

140 : 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 01

130 : 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 05, 11

120 : 00, 00, 02, 03, 02, 07, 14

110 : 00, 01, 04, 07, 08, 12, 21

100 : 00, 02, 05, 13, 15, 19, 26

090 : 00, 03, 10, 18, 19, 21, 27

080 : 00, 05, 14, 23, 21, 22, 29

070 : 00, 13, 18, 24, 23, 26, 33

060 : 01, 18, 25, 27, 28, 32, 37

050 : 03, 23, 26, 30, 30, 34, 41

The squad is fabulous for the Championship, and has players capable of performing in the top league.

Sheriffs report - squad

Top 20 in Squad (sorted by CA)

Name, Pos, Age, CA-PA

Dyer, 27, AM RL, 135-155 (-2)

Plummer, 25, ST, 135-140 (-1)

Bostock, 23, AM C, 134-164 – new signing

Nyatanga, 26, D LC, 133-134 – new signing

Wilson, 29, D RC, 132-135 – new signing

Barnes, 22, MC, 127-156 – new signing

Tunchev, 33, D LC, 127-143 (-7)

Madine, 24, ST, 127-142 (+1)

Nordtveit, 24, DC/DM, 126-153 (+1)

Grimes, 28, AM/F C, 126-131 – new signing

Puncheon, 28, AM RL, 124-139 (-)

B Smith, 22, ST, 124-132 (+7)

McAllister, 27, MC, 124-127 (+2)

Underwood, 22, GK, 120-156 (+11)

Milner, 20, D RC, 120-142 (+9)

Collins, 26, D RLC, 116-118 (-)

Afzal, 24, D RC, 115-122 (+4)

Ward, 25, DC, 113-114 – new signing

Godsmark, 25, AM RLC, FC, 112-127 (+6) – re-entry in top 20

Esajas, 30, AML, 112-120 (-)

Players in last season’s top 20 who have left the club:

Philliskirk, 23, MC, 128-146

Seip, 32, DC, 125-135

Rogers, 20, DM/AMC, 124-173

Doyley, 31, D RC, 118-122

R Smith, 27, AM L, 111-132

Hughes, 27, DC, 110-125

Henderson, 32, ST, 110-123

Players in last season’s top 20 who have dropped out of the top 20:

None

Some good young players improving in that list, but the standard is only getting better slowly.

Notable others:

Hutchinson, 18, GK, 79-158 (+2)

CA of X or above:

190 : 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00

180 : 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00

170 : 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00

160 : 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00

150 : 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00

140 : 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00

130 : 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 03, 05

120 : 00, 00, 00, 00, 02, 10, 15

110 : 00, 00, 01, 01, 06, 19, 21

100 : 00, 00, 01, 04, 16, 23, 24

090 : 00, 00, 04, 09, 23, 26, 27

080 : 00, 06, 09, 14, 26, 30, 27

070 : 00, 09, 14, 18, 32, 35, 32

060 : 01, 14, 16, 22, 34, 39, 34

050 : 02, 17, 25, 28, 39, 41, 37

Looking at that, the number of players above 120 CA is very decent, and definitely rising. The Sheriffs should be strong in this league.

Archived