AI Experiment - The Bandits are back for FM09

World View - World beaters

It seems that the initial database contains few stars, but many more than will become stars. At the start of the game, there were only 60 players with a CA of 170, and just two years later, that has nearly doubled to 114.

I think that this is something to be fixed by Sigames, it is strange if the number of really good players rise all the time and one thing that you very seldom see is players dropping in ability before their natural decline kicks in, take for example Owen in real life, he’s ability has clearly dropped too early compared to other top class strikers in real life, but this does not seem to happen in FM.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think that this is something to be fixed by Sigames, it is strange if the number of really good players rise all the time and one thing that you very seldom see is players dropping in ability before their natural decline kicks in, take for example Owen in real life, he’s ability has clearly dropped too early compared to other top class strikers in real life, but this does not seem to happen in FM.

surely players do not decline in ability too early... loss of form maybe but you dont just lose ability?!

age and injury should be the only factors behind a drop in ability in my opinion!!

surely players do not decline in ability too early... loss of form maybe but you dont just lose ability?!

age and injury should be the only factors behind a drop in ability in my opinion!!

i wouldnt be surprised if some players are better at 18 than 25 because their strength is pure speed and i expect players will lose some speed in that period

old age and injury arent the only ways a player can lose stats like pace and acceleration

im pretty sure no player has ever peaked at 18 mate, fair enough there pace stats might be the same but in no way would proffesional footballers who train every day start losing pace at 25!!

Michael Owen anyone?? :)

An exception I know but it does happen when injuries take there toll.

Phew, my computer goes down and I finally come back and notice I haven't missed anything... Talk about luck.

Now to check this thread every few hours eagerly with hope again like usual.

This is an issue that needs dealing with. I've had a career game on this version that has reached 2021 I think and there are far more seemingly world class players. Denmark has 5 players in the national team described as 'World-class' their position. Now this could be realism - countries do have 'Golden-generations' and suddenly have a batch of players at the same time that are top class. But if it is happening across the board then it's probably not right. It is a hard balance to strike - if there are only 2 players from each new years newgens that have potential to be great players then it would make it much harder for small clubs to snap up top youth player, but too many and it devalues the excitement of finding the best players of the generation.

As for ability variations. I think it is fair to say that technical stats do not vary that much over a career. But, in previous versions players abilities would drop during a long term injury, which was a good way of simulating the rustiness and lack of match practice that players experience. Now I don't know whether this was scrapped because rustiness has been built into the improved match-engine or whether it was unpopular, but it seemed like a good way round part of the problem discussed - ie. if a player didn't play, had no match practice, whether through injury or falling from the manager's plans then his ability would decrease, but when he started playing/training again then there was a chance it would improve again. This is mainly to do with the technical side of the game.

For the mental attributes, then I think that generally they should increase as players' experience increases. Also things like making players captain should have an impact, if they do it well, then influence should go up for example.

As for physical stats, well this is where there should be the greatest mobility. A player's strength/stamina can change within a season, depending on how hard they train. If a player is going easy in training, then he should lose stamina, strength.

Heavy pre-season training should boost it significantly, and linked into this, there should be the possibility of players not doing enough over the summer break and coming back in terrible shape. Pre-season training is not really necessary on this version, but I certainly remember having a high intensity schedule that I threw players into at the start of seasons.

I hope that all made sense. It turned into a much longer post than I intended, but it has at least passed some time before the next update.

C'mon the Bandits!

Folks, apologies for the delay, but I've currently got chicken pox, which is not particularly pleasant in adult form and is stopping me doing most things.

Ugh...no, it isn't....take your time, get your strength back....and get well soon! We'll wait patiently for you!

God your prone to illness :D

Heh, yeah that's what happens when you have kids - they get everything and you get it from them. Unfortunately, I'm now on a cocktail of drugs that mean I sleep most of the time...

I actually got about 2/3 through the report before this break, so when I come back it shouldn't take long to finish.

Can't believe i missed the start of the new FM09 experiment. Glad I only missed a couple of seasons, will be interesting to see how the Bandits cope with league 2

maybe a couple of seasons but almost 800 posts:-)

Have bookmarked this now. Fantastic stuff. Eagerly anticipating what's to come...

p.s. It'd be great if you could also report with a little more detail on the dream and idiot manager. For example, if their CA falls/rises or if they have any fav personnel/disliked ones... etc. right now I see the reputation changes mentioned for them which is also great.

You're doing a fantastic job!

Archived