AI Experiment - The Bandits are back for FM09

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

remarkable season! If the Bandits manager can do that with almost all free transfers and no reputation how will he do once they're cemented as a Premier League team with buckets of money?? Amazed by the rises in CA too; that in past games no one would ever be a truly world class player until into their 20s always annoyed me, good to see that it now accounts for the Messis of the world. And HOW: 188! I can imagine some of these guys (those who aren't competing with each other for places) reaching 200 caps.

Idiots, oh dear. I do hope they do something with their careers, but it doesn't look too good. I'm going to predict that Idiot Midfielder, under the watchful eye of tough guy Martin O'Neill, will develop, uh, relatively decently. Until he gets a big money move to a team with a softie manager and it all goes to hell.

West Brom hoovering up the talent. Unfortunately they are hoovering up the same kind of talent that caused Hulls downfall. Idiots and Stars alike.

Great to see that the Bandits and Sheriffs have managed to keep their momentum up despite losing their gifted players (or idiots).

Although I'm slightly concerned at the relegations in the Premiership. I'm certain that reputation has too much influence and I'd be amazed if the promoted teams don't drop back straight away and that Birmingham, Hull and possibly Preston will get instant promotion.

Nice to see also that whilst some of the Bandits are making big money moves, not all of them are. The longer they can be dispersed around the leagues the better.

Amazing the difference a good manager can make to a teams progress. Hopefully the platform he builds before he gets head-hunted will stand the Bandits in good stead in the long-term.

VB

Great update.:thup:

Not surprised by the Bandits, or the Sheriffs progress, even without their wonderkids. I always expected the rise to be a lot faster than in 07. Whether that's because of full detail being on, or improved AI, or both I don't know.

Great update.:thup:

Not surprised by the Bandits, or the Sheriffs progress, even without their wonderkids. I always expected the rise to be a lot faster than in 07. Whether that's because of full detail being on, or improved AI, or both I don't know.

I think its a combination of full detail and the top class manager that is the reason.

I had a hard time when Norwich took on the Bandits in the FA Cup! I didn't know what to do! But a time will come when The Bandits are better than Norwich, I know.

Was thinking exactly the same thing....torn between loyalties there...

Excellent report as usual Kip, really coming together nicely now, looking forward to the next :)

I cant help but think if the bandits had a manager like this in the original experiment they would have tasted Premiership success.

Great update Kip. Fantastic read. I am not at all surprised about the promotions for both teams. Great signings. Im thinking they may both get promoted again this season. I have faith in these managers.

Could it be possible that the Bandits will rise fast enough to tempt some of their old starlets back to the club once they hit the big leagues? I really hope so.

On another note, hope you're feeling better Kipfizh. Get well soon and keep up the good work.

The Sheriffs are promoted \o/

Be scared all you Bandit fans....

Kip - is there any chance of a "Sheriffs - best and worst" post so that us Sheriffs can get a look at the squad screenshots? If its too much trouble don't worry, and if I've missed it - shoot me :D

Great read Kip.

What a season! The manager has made more class singings in two seasons than the entire list of Bandit managers from the 1st experiment.

Not that im turning into a Sherriff fan but it was also "good" to see them getting a promotion, after all whats the point in rivarly if your rivals never play you?

And also as a real life Rangers die hard, its fantastic to see Walter Smith (presumably) sign Keeper 2 and Striker 3... helping them to 2 domestic doubles in a row.

Fantastic stuff Kip.

Hrmm... i dont see Rangers keeping those two this summer, but ill predict that they will go for a total of £20m+ and hopefully have a cheeky little percentage of their next sale tacked on as well.

We love you Bandits.

Italy

Serie A – Fiorentina

How on Earth did they manage to do this? IRL it's been 40 years for them without Seria A trophy. What happened to mighty Inter?

Well well. An expected outcome from a fantastic season overall but these won't be forgotten for sure:

o 51 goals for Rangers! Ohh come on! Striker 3 needs to slow down a bit or else we will be critisizing world beater strikers for scoring less than 30 a year :)

o Liam Dickinson. An absolute beast, tearing down any defence whatsoever.

o Anthony Elding. I recognized the name as soon as I see. Guess it's this years behavior to turn their backs to Bandits! ;)

We'd surely see some of the wonderkids up there in World Cup stage. It'd exciting for sure. But I realized that I'm more interested in seeing the Bandits in EPL and rocking the charts there. It's the club that matters :D Expecting a few first teamers to join over summer for each team. Surely both will try their best to get promoted. [TEASE]But I can't see the Sheriffs making it.[/TEASE] :D

Cheers Kip, great update as always, thought the 2007 thread was good, but this is even better.

Was a massive bandits fan on 07, but find myself leaning towards the Sheriffs on this version.

It must be the underdog thing, Bandits had 22 great players at the start, Sheriffs had to cope with 4 idiots, everything is set-up for both clubs to do well, but the bandits do have a few more advantages.

So, with a heavy heart, I think I'll get behind the underdog and support the Sheriffs on this version.

Come on, is anybody surprised about striker 3? I mean he was the best in the 07 version. How cool would it be if he moved to Liverpool again? Plus, would it be possible to see screenshots of the superstars stats? I know you said that their stats were all dropped to 15 by the game, so it would be interesting to see if they got built up again in different ways.

I hope we see some wonderkids rejoining the Bandits again. or some even going to the Sheriff's. I think its going to be straight through the leagues for the Bandits the way there going. Maybe an extra season in the championship depending on the competition they'll have.

Also do you think Kip it will be an idea to include on the wonderkids section, a history of there winnings.. What they've won. Like have a roll of honour for the players, as some won cups this time. and also a list of caps etc?

Very good read as usual Kip and I can't wait for the WC to start to see how many starlets can make it and how many are overlooked, maybe an ex Bandit could lift the trophy as early as 2010 *fingers crossed*

Regarding the clubs I'm not surprised the sheriffs got promoted and destroyed the league but the Bandits were taking years to climb up the ladder in the original experiment so I'm wondering what is making them make all the right choices this time. Is it the better chairman, the great manager, the fact that the game is on full detail, SI improving the AI... It's probably a combination of all those factors which hopefully we'll be able to weight over the years.

And at this speed if we can keep the board and manager I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bandits get their 5 promotions in 6 or 7 seasons and then getting some of the original starlets back right when they hit their prime :thup:

The world cup will be most interesting. See who's already made it, and what difference those at lesser countries make. also a good tournament makes a world player of the year, Vonblade might turn out to be a visionary after all.

^ Thank you thank you. I've played waaaaay too much FM throughout my whole life to not know how it works.

@ Grec. It can't be licensing because England is in the game and I'm sure Kip would have applied the .. ahem .. fix to the other issue.

^ Thank you thank you. I've played waaaaay too much FM throughout my whole life to not know how it works.

@ Grec. It can't be licensing because England is in the game and I'm sure Kip would have applied the .. ahem .. fix to the other issue.

The ahem.....fix was supplied by myself....cough....lol

At least he now has all the correct league names etc and the other national team problems resolved as well.

Great second update Kip. Both the Bandits and Sherrifs look as if they may be on for another promotion for the 3rd season.

I personally think that 5 of the former Bandits starlets will make it to the World Cup 2010 but we will see..............?

Great update, looks like both clubs have the managers to rise through the leagues. Have I missed their reputations? I don't recall seeing them, though I've probably just missed it.

As a West Brom fan, I was delighted to see their progress until I saw they'd signed an idiot...hopefully he'll carry on performing decently until he can be ousted without controversy.

Great update, looks like both clubs have the managers to rise through the leagues. Have I missed their reputations? I don't recall seeing them, though I've probably just missed it.

As a West Brom fan, I was delighted to see their progress until I saw they'd signed an idiot...hopefully he'll carry on performing decently until he can be ousted without controversy.

Bandits and Sheriffs reputations are at the bottom of Premiership Analysis - Reputation

Elsewhere

Bandits – 2015 (+560)

Sheriffs – 1477 (+454)

Bandits – 2015 (+560)

Sheriffs – 1477 (+454)

Would it be possible to include the high/low water reputations for the leagues that the Bandits are currently playing in/advancing to? In the 2007 experiment we saw that reputation was tremendously important, and it would be interesting to see how the Bandits reputation compares to their current/former competition as they rise up the ladder.

World View - Distribution of 180+ CA players

(excluding starlets and idiots)

The clubs

Man Utd – 4 (+2) (194, 183, 181, 180)

Real Madrid – 4 (+1) (191, 184, 183, 181)

AC Milan – 3 (+2) (194, 181, 180)

Liverpool – 3 (+1) (187, 183, 180)

Chelsea – 3 (-) (187, 182, 180)

Barcelona – 2 (-) (194, 180)

Arsenal – 2 (+1) (188, 184)

Juventus – 1 (-) (188)

Atletico Madrid – 1 (-) (186)

Lyon – 1 (-) (186)

Roma – 1 (-) (184)

Valencia – 1 (+1) (180)

Bayer Leverkusen – 1 (+1) (180)

Fiorentina – 1 (+1) (180)

Total – 28 (+10)

I realize we can find the information in other parts of the report, but since the number of starlets may impact the number of "legitimate" players at the clubs, would it be possible to include the starlet count in this portion of the report as well? Leaving the stars (and idiots if they ever develop) out of the club summary list may be misleading as long as they are still playing.

example:

Real Players Starlets Idiots

Liverpool – 3 (+1) (187, 183, 180) // 2 (+2) (178, 188) // 0

Chelsea – 3 (-) (187, 182, 180) // 1 (+1) (184) // 0

Hull - 0 // 2 (+2) (165, 175) // 2 (+2) (145, 149)

Note: I'm not sure about the best way to format this and it may just be a case of too much information to present well.

Team         Number of stars       No. of Bandits           No. of idiots

Liverpool  – 3 (187, 183, 180) // 2 (+2) (178, 188)    // 0
Chelsea    – 3 (187, 182, 180) // 1 (+1) (184)         // 0
Hull       - 0                 // 2 (+2) (165, 175)    // 2 (+2) (145, 149)

Easier to fix in a code box.

Oh yeah. Keep up the good work Kip. I visit this forum for the sole purpose of checking in on this experiment -- even at times like now when I havent touched the game itself for 4 months. Your presentation of the experiment is stellar and is something that I thoroughly enjoy and look forward to.

Kip - is there any chance of a "Sheriffs - best and worst" post so that us Sheriffs can get a look at the squad screenshots? If its too much trouble don't worry, and if I've missed it - shoot me :D

Sure - I'll include that from next season onwards.

Come on, is anybody surprised about striker 3? I mean he was the best in the 07 version. How cool would it be if he moved to Liverpool again? Plus, would it be possible to see screenshots of the superstars stats? I know you said that their stats were all dropped to 15 by the game, so it would be interesting to see if they got built up again in different ways.

I was cutting down the number of screenshots because it was a right pain for me - I run Windows inside a VM on linux, and my VM software doesn't support the print screen button. So I was using a linux graphics editor to scrape the screen, the resize it, and the whole thing was taking ages.

However, I've just spotted in another thread that Alt-F9 takes a screenshot inside FM09. So all is good again - each player will come with a link to a screenshot from next season.

Also do you think Kip it will be an idea to include on the wonderkids section, a history of there winnings.. What they've won. Like have a roll of honour for the players, as some won cups this time. and also a list of caps etc?

Yes, good idea - it was quite difficult to compile this at the end of their careers, would be better to track as I go along.

Regarding the clubs I'm not surprised the sheriffs got promoted and destroyed the league but the Bandits were taking years to climb up the ladder in the original experiment so I'm wondering what is making them make all the right choices this time. Is it the better chairman, the great manager, the fact that the game is on full detail, SI improving the AI... It's probably a combination of all those factors which hopefully we'll be able to weight over the years.

My suspicion is that it is heavily the manager, I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens when he leaves to see if that's right.

Managers

Dream Manager – 4692 (+1325)

Idiot Manager – 3135 (+1541)

Team         Number of stars       No. of Bandits           No. of idiots

Liverpool  – 3 (187, 183, 180) // 2 (+2) (178, 188)    // 0
Chelsea    – 3 (187, 182, 180) // 1 (+1) (184)         // 0
Hull       - 0                 // 2 (+2) (165, 175)    // 2 (+2) (145, 149)

Easier to fix in a code box.

Cool, I like it like this - I'll see if I can do it this way.

World Cup 2010 - Preview

Hosts: South Africa

Holders: Italy

Group A: Chile, Italy, New Zealand, Switzerland

Group B: Australia, Brazil, Greece, Ivory Coast

Group C: Morocco, Netherlands, Turkey, USA

Group D: Japan, Mali, Spain, Sweden

Group E: Cameroon, Canada, France, Portugal

Group F: Colombia, Czech Rep, Germany, South Korea

Group G: England, Iran, Paraguay, South Africa

Group H: Argentina, Ghana, Mexico, Russia

Group H looks to be a bit nasty, with all four countries looking strong, while Groups B and F aren't particularly friendly either. England and Italy have the best draws in Groups G and A respectively.

Notable absentees: Nigeria, Denmark, Norway

Highest ranked absentee: Ireland (16th)

Starlets:

Goalkeeper 1 (Argentina)

Centre Back 2 (Netherlands)

Left Mid 2 (England)

Idiots

None

World stars

Kaka (Brazil)

Messi (Argentina)

Ronaldo (Portugal)

Casillas (Spain)

Quick World Cup predictions. :p

Group A: Italy, Switzerland

Group B: Brazil, Australia

Group C: Netherlands, Turkey

Group D: Spain, Sweden

Group E: France, Portugal

Group F: Germany, Czech Republic

Group G: England, South Africa

Group H: Argentina, Mexico

The second round should therefore lineup like this (if I'm right):

Italy vs Australia (Italy to win)

Brazil vs Switzerland (Brazil)

Netherlands vs Sweden (Netherlands)

Spain vs Turkey (Spain)

France vs Czech Republic (France)

Germany vs Portugal (Germany)

England vs Mexico (England)

Argentina vs South Africa (Argentina)

World Cup :

Group A: Italy, Switzerland

Group B: Brazil, Ivory Coast

Group C: Netherlands, Turkey

Group D: Spain, Sweden

Group E: France, Portugal

Group F: Czech Rep, Germany

Group G: England, Paraguay

Group H: Argentina, Russia

With Spain and France meeting in the Final. Spain winning 1-0 AET.

What? Too precise? :)

Archived