Some things dont make sense

Ok Im currently playing as Sheff Utd and tookthem from mid table league 1 to the Prem title in 6 years. Im now just starting my 9th season having won the league, CL and League Cup the year before

Heres my problems.

1) The board didnt regard the league cup as important, fine, no problem, its not particularly important. BUT I did win it, for the 1st time in the clubs history, and I get no response at all. In fact the board are far happier at me getting to the FA Cup 6th round than winning the CC. That is ridiculous. I feel the "board confidence" should at least show something to signal the achievement of winning a competition (where I used mostly youngsters) that the club has never won before. It would also be nice if the game could acknowledge that Im not using any first team players, because I field 90% youth and a few backup players to give them match practice. This of course weakens my team so if they go out and beat a low prem team 1-0 I dont want a news message saying how the fans werent impressed with the victory because they expected more. Because they should be impressed with how well the youth team managed against a good team

2)The English Young player of the year award is obviously flawed. I had a right winger, my THIRD choice, who played around 20-30 games through the season(80% as a sub), made half a dozen assists, played generally well. He won young player of the year. Now I wouldnt consider this a problem if it wasnt for my striker, also "heavily linked" with the award. He played virtually every game, set a new club record for goals scored. Finished top scorer in the EPL by a mile, top scorer in the CL. In fact he won the CL best player award, was in the team of the year and top scorer. His average rating, despite playing around 60 games in all comps was higher than my winger, both overall and in the PL. His value shot up from £5mil to £26mil. He was a machine. He was the same age as the eventual winner. Yet he didnt even make the top 3!

3) Why do players only react to 1 part of the Press conference? Its so annoying when Im asked questions (I know what the best answers are to give now) and I cant actually say anything, I have to give the middle option, basically no comment, because I dont want that to be the part of the press conference that is reacted to. If Im ever asked about an opposition player, who used to play for me (its something along the lines of "how do you feel about his return") I cannot say anything, because then, despite what Ive said in the rest of the press conference, the message I get is about the opposition player and he is apparantly happy with my comments. Fantastic. What about MY team? What about everything Ive said to boost up my team? No its ignored so the only player to get anything from the Press Conference is the oppositions danger man. Superb

4) Why is it only possible to tell other teams players that they are showing a lot of potential, or that they are quality players? Why cant I tell that to players on my team? If a good player on my team is going through a bad spell then maybe telling the press that he is a quality player could boost his confidence. But the only option I get is to talk about there form. if I say Im pleased with their form they get unhappy because they're playing rubbish. And telling them how bad they're playing can have a negative influence as well. It would be nice to be able to tell them they are good players, regardless of form. Also it might be a nice boost for younger players to tell them they will be stars of the future

5) Why can the game not distinguish between selling a player, and loaning a player? If I sign a 16 year old star of the future, he's not getting anywhere near my team for a few years, so I offer him out on loan and get a message back saying "there havent been any clubs willing to make a bid because of his recent arrival at the club".

6) New stadium name. Ive seen people on here see stadiums named after them, Ive seen Chelsea get a new stadium called Zola Park, as Zola is a legend. But my Sheff Utd got a new stadium, and there are no people listed under legends (a bit dissapointing as Ive been there 9 years and taken them from league 1 to where Man Utd are now IRL, was kinda hoping Id be considered a legend by now). Its now called Sheff Utd Stadium. Obviously this might not be a common occurence because this is the only time its ever happened to me, but thats a stupid name for a stadium, why not have the same name as the old stadium but with "New" in front of it, at least then the stadium has a proper name. Hell I wouldnt mind so much even if it was called something like Sheffield Park, or The Sheffield Stadium, or even like The Coca Cola Stadium, with a bit of sponsorship money coming my way (that could be quite amusing). But Sheff Utd Stadium sounds so cheap and rubbish

7) The way teams are selected is baffling. I mean the attributes are what determines how well a player plays, and thats reflected in his rating, goal scoring, assists, clean sheets etc. But the computer doesnt seem to recognise these things in the slightest. If a striker scores 50 goals in a season for a top team, but has a lower CA than a striker that scores an average of 5 goals a season for the same team, the computer will always make higher bids for the higher CA striker, even if his attributes are all in irrelevant places, the national team will always call up the higher CA striker, even though the other striker is clearly better. I had 1 striker that I got on a free when I was in the Championship. Couldnt handle the pressure of anything, and clearly wasnt cut out for the Prem as his ratings were poor, and his goalscoring record was even worse, when I sold him I got £10 million for him! I kept an eye on him and at his new club he had the same problem, played poorly and didnt score many, got dropped then barely played, before he was sold a year later for £10 million again! To Arsenal who had just won the league! He obviously had a high CA/PA but his performances were consistently rubbish. Yet he was a regular in the national team and was always wanted by top clubs

8) The ass man sometimes tells me conflicting things. For example Ive had this tons of times with the same player in my team. The ass man tells me that he "is struggling to cope with the pressure today, which is affecting his motivation" and on the next line I get "looked overconfident and cocky during todays warm up". Which is it? Is he cocky and too confident so he needs to be knocked down a peg or two, or is he bricking it because he cant handle to pressure?

9) Finally when a player on my team is linked to win an award, which has happened often in the last season, even if they dont win or finish in the top 3 it would be nice to know. If player of mine is linked with the player of the year award, then I become interested in it and get curious to see if he'll win. But I dont know when the award is given and if he doesnt win I dont get a message about it, so I usually completely miss the award and have no idea if he's still in contention to win it or if its already done and dusted. On the same note I think all major awards should be shown on your inbox, because they are major things and unless your players are winning them you could never know whats happening

Im not going to go into the tactics, because I dont like them, but I figure this should be about some of the more cosmetic features of the game. Anyone got anymore things then feel free to post them!

Cheers

What a brilliant post I agree with everything you have written. The points you have made are about things that need to be looked at, once again what a great post I hope someone from SI addresses a few of these points.

What a brilliant post I agree with everything you have written. The points you have made are about things that need to be looked at, once again what a great post I hope someone from SI addresses a few of these points.

Exactly my thoughts :thup:

7) The way teams are selected is baffling. I mean the attributes are what determines how well a player plays, and thats reflected in his rating, goal scoring, assists, clean sheets etc. But the computer doesnt seem to recognise these things in the slightest. If a striker scores 50 goals in a season for a top team, but has a lower CA than a striker that scores an average of 5 goals a season for the same team, the computer will always make higher bids for the higher CA striker, even if his attributes are all in irrelevant places, the national team will always call up the higher CA striker, even though the other striker is clearly better. I had 1 striker that I got on a free when I was in the Championship. Couldnt handle the pressure of anything, and clearly wasnt cut out for the Prem as his ratings were poor, and his goalscoring record was even worse, when I sold him I got £10 million for him! I kept an eye on him and at his new club he had the same problem, played poorly and didnt score many, got dropped then barely played, before he was sold a year later for £10 million again! To Arsenal who had just won the league! He obviously had a high CA/PA but his performances were consistently rubbish. Yet he was a regular in the national team and was always wanted by top clubs

Id just like to point out that striker was let go on a free and signed by a mid table Prem team, where he played 20 games and scored 3 goals, with an average rating of less than 6.5 before he was sold to Arsenal for £10mil. He played 1 season for Arsenal (similar record) and has now been sold to Chelsea for £14.5mil. Its ridiculous

Id just like to point out that striker was let go on a free and signed by a mid table Prem team, where he played 20 games and scored 3 goals, with an average rating of less than 6.5 before he was sold to Arsenal for £10mil. He played 1 season for Arsenal (similar record) and has now been sold to Chelsea for £14.5mil. Its ridiculous

Same here. (I have to talk in € but is almost the same thing as pound) I bought a striker for €31M and he missed almost every chance he had- I reckon he would just score if he placed the ball at the top corner- anyway, I sold him for €36M to AC Milan and the same happened. However, they seem to like him even though he has only scored 6 times in 22 games and has no assists.

As for the topic, I agree with OP 100%. These are some of the features I'd like to be reviewed/introduced in the game.

Now that is how to post critically about the game. This thread should be shown to everyone who complains that you can't criticise FM around here. We need more posts like the original one in this thread. Incidentally, I think he's hit quite a few nails squarely on the head.

Archived