How to setup a back five w/wingbacks?

On FM08 a friend of mine managed to create an amazing 5-3-2 attacking with wingbacks. The defensive record is probably the best I've ever seen, and it made a lot of goals too! Since FM09 came out, we have tried to create something similar, but can't seem to make the back five work properly. So i was wondering if someone has any tips on how to setup the three cb's and the wingbacks? Mentality, closing down, marking, forward runs etc.

The goal of creating a tactic like this is to concede very few goals, and at the same time have an attacking mentality in the team so that it's possible to win most games :) I have tried to have a global attacking mentality without any success so far. The tactic seem to leak far too many goals! (which is kind of annoying thinking that i use three solid centrebacks!)

Any help on this would be largely appreciated, and if i manage to create a solid tactic, i will post it here on the forum.

Thank you for your attention, and i hope someone has the time and strength to help me with this...:)

I don't have the tactic saved on my computer, but i do remember the settings so i have tried to make a copy but with no success unfortunately. It seems to me that to make three defenders work is much harder on FM09 than on the last version of FM.

I have also read the TT&F guide, which is brilliant by the way, but haven't been able to create a successful version with the theories described in the guide.

If someone has managed to setup a back five (who actually let in few goals) it would be great if they could maybe give me some tips on how to proceed.

Archived