Who still plays FM08?

I'm on season 2029/2030 at the moment. Spent 5856 days (16 seasons) at AFC Wimbledon pulling them up from BS South to the Premiership and left them in the best condition possible. Last season there I went the EPL undefeated, retained the Champions League, had a healthy £400m bank balance and the top ranked team in Europe.

Since then I've been at Fiorentina, starting my sixth season. When I took over they were nothing but mid-table halfweights. In my starting XI there is noone left from the original team when I took over so basically I've transformed the team into a formidable force. As we speak I've opened up the Serie A campaign with P10 and W10. Good times :)

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So have you been playing the one game all the way through FM08 - not started the first season with any other teams?

I've always wanted to do a career game with lots of leagues loaded but my computer just isn't good enough to do that. In my Red Star game i loaded 7 nations leagues and moved to Benfica in my fourth season, but thats as far as i got before the game became too slow. :(

So have you been playing the one game all the way through FM08 - not started the first season with any other teams?

I've always wanted to do a career game with lots of leagues loaded but my computer just isn't good enough to do that. In my Red Star game i loaded 7 nations leagues and moved to Benfica in my fourth season, but thats as far as i got before the game became too slow. :(

I've pretty much been every team in the EPL from the start apart from Man Utd, Arsenal or Chelsea. Somehow I just couldn't bare the thought of beating Liverpool with them :p

I guess a poor comp spoils a good career game becuse I have to have loads of leagues loaded otherwise it's no fun.

I must say that I am really surprised after seeing so many people still enjoy FM08...

...from what I have read in the forums, it was ranked as the bigest failure, and for some reason I have some of the best careers on this version...

Glad to see so many people love this version, like I do....

I must say that I am really surprised after seeing so many people still enjoy FM08...

...from what I have read in the forums, it was ranked as the bigest failure, and for some reason I have some of the best careers on this version...

Glad to see so many people love this version, like I do....

tbh the only thing that bugs me about FM08 is the bad physical stats of regens. Yes if you do look around then you'll find excellent ones but they are very few. Other then that I'm pleased as punch to wait until FM10 and playing 08 whilst I wait.

tbh the only thing that bugs me about FM08 is the bad physical stats of regens. Yes if you do look around then you'll find excellent ones but they are very few. Other then that I'm pleased as punch to wait until FM10 and playing 08 whilst I wait.

Pretty much my thoughts on FM08 too. I think the balance of regens coming through to replace real players is a bit poor on this version, no doubt something to do with the bad physical stats. This was the only area that i feel was a step back from FM07, but then other things like facegen and other general improvements have made me really enjoy FM08. My hope is that i have a new computer by the release of FM10 and then finally i will put FM08 to bed.

I still play FM08, playing as Juventus, currently in December 2011.

My team might be too good, though, with the likes of Torres, Cesc, Buffon, Vidal, Veloso, Rossi, Aguero, Aquino (tearing up Serie A playing primarily as an AMC), Seba Gio, Brazagli, Chiellini, Alves, Diarra, Sakho, Criscito, Balotelli (on loan at Siena), Saivet, Marchisio and Mirante (who has developed into a solid keeper).

:)

I hope everyone who played FM08 saw how good Aquino is. He's a freak show, dominated the EPL. I play with him as a striker and he's led the EPL in scoring from 2012-to the current season of 2015

Still playing FM08. Won't be buying FM09, reading all the comments on here sounds to me like SI have made a mess of it.

Three patches??? Why anyone buys this game when it comes out just amazes me.

.... and you haven't even mentioned Steam yet :D

it's what killed the FM series for some of us and why we went back to 08

lotta is not a real word

post of the year...

Id say both of them are casual if you just think abou the tactics etc,

It all becomes rather easy. Do miss my fm08 game though but im to into my career game with messina. Sounds more like a women than a football team though.

I find fm09 really slow. My PC has 2g of ram but just before i set my team selection, team talk and opposition instructions its really slow. That really annoys me and i stick on fm07 as i have a AC Milan save where ive been ther now for 9 years. got 7 serie A titles i think 5 italian cups 5 champs league 2 uefa cup. I won 2 world cups and 1 european championship for italy while amassing the rest.....

I'm officially the new Arsenal of football :D

arsenalk.png

I knwo they're all regens so you won't know them but there's such a blend of world class players, wonderkids and experience. I'm sure Mr Wenger would be quite impressed.

Ramazan, Hogmo, Gomez and Merkel are all classed as world class players.

Marcos, Correia, Lopes and Muller are all wonderkids.

Bialek, Jones, Nicolini and Christensen are all experienced (Bialeks also recently beaten Batistuta's all time league scoring ;) )

Castagna, Carlos, Batista and Badiane were all classed as wonderkids last year.

The only difficult thing at the moment is keeping everyone happy. Every transfer window every player on the team is wanted. Even all my kids in the U20's are being chased because I buy all the best one's when they are young. The best thing however is I'm confident everyone can do the job when asked upon. Injuries have never been short of cover and rotation is a breeze. God I love this team :D

I still play FM 08 as installing FM 09 screwed my system over (I actually had to system restore). I'm currently managing Leeds Utd in the 3rd season and I'm trying to challenge for promotion to the Premier League. I have some awesome youngsters and some good veterans.

It took me a while to get into FM08, and by the time FM09 I was in the longest career I'd ever mustered in any FM/CM game ever (though that is perhaps only because of the 25 season limit in CM96/97). Therefore I'm still well into my FM08 game, in 2027 and Micah Richards is still playing for me and just will not retire.

It took me a while to get into FM08, and by the time FM09 I was in the longest career I'd ever mustered in any FM/CM game ever (though that is perhaps only because of the 25 season limit in CM96/97). Therefore I'm still well into my FM08 game, in 2027 and Micah Richards is still playing for me and just will not retire.

Micah Richards is my favourite FM08 player. Although I never got him with AFC Wimbledon (unremovable from AC Milan) he still kept going well into 37-38 years of age. Now he's assistant manager to Gerrard at Liverpool :D

Micah Richards is my favourite FM08 player. Although I never got him with AFC Wimbledon (unremovable from AC Milan) he still kept going well into 37-38 years of age. Now he's assistant manager to Gerrard at Liverpool :D

I made him England captain, and took him to Arsenal, Milan and Chelsea, before finally leading him to Gillingham where he was also my captain. I've had this long love-in with Timmy Simmons on my game, who's now my assistant manager, but when Micah finally retires, I might just make him my ass man.

I can't imagine a 37-38 player ever being effective in FM08 due to the insanely sharp decline in player stats and overall CA of players entering their thirties. It made the game borderline unplayable for me. For this reason and several others, I think 09, although not perfect, is a vastly superior game to 08.

I can't imagine a 37-38 player ever being effective in FM08 due to the insanely sharp decline in player stats and overall CA of players entering their thirties. It made the game borderline unplayable for me. For this reason and several others' date=' I think 09, although not perfect, is a vastly superior game to 08.[/quote']

tbf it only happens to the original players. Richards was an exception in my game because everyone else seemed to drop off around 33-34 and weren't playing regular footie. With regens it almost feels like the physical stats drop off too quickly sometimes but overall it happens less with the regens then the original players. btw if Maldini can why couldn't Richards? They're both defenders and as a whole Arsenal backline has shown in the past, you don't need to be quick to be a good defender.

I can't imagine a 37-38 player ever being effective in FM08 due to the insanely sharp decline in player stats and overall CA of players entering their thirties. It made the game borderline unplayable for me. For this reason and several others' date=' I think 09, although not perfect, is a vastly superior game to 08.[/quote']

They can still be playable, just. Cristiano Ronaldo for me, at 37-38, made something like 10 appearances for me in each of his final 2 seasons (and I'm the Champions League holder). He was still a decent striker as long as I tell him to stand still, with his mental attributes skyrocketing to compensate for his plummeting technical and physical attributes. In his final game for me, he played in the Italian Cup Final for around 85 minutes before I took him off (cue imaginary standing ovations for a magnificent career) and scored, although I had to bring on one or two other big guns to see out the game.

Also, rather irritatingly, my third-best corner taker is 35-year-old Alessio Cerci so when my first two are rested (ahead of Champions League fixtures against grey teams, for example), he usually ends up going on if only to take corners (I put him on the wing and tell everyone to avoid passing to his flank, because otherwise he's horrible). His most recent job has been helping out my Under-20s in the Under-20s Cup, because these fixtures irritatingly coincide with Internationals, which usually ends up taking around 15 of my best Under-20s away...

Yeah, mostly this is true. But I guess Micah is just one of a very few exceptions to this rule.

Yeah, mostly this is true. But I guess Micah is just one of a very few exceptions to this rule.

There must be some formula which determines how players decline, because I've seen some excellent players. My former goalkeeper, now 32, hasn't dropped a single CA point (I've been monitoring him, because irritatingly he's still equally as good as my current one and I offloaded him thinking he'd be Serie B standard within a year).

Also, players like 33-year-old Danny Welbeck who could still walk into any team barring the top teams now.

Matías Fernández too is trundling along - onto his 5th club in 5 years, though, plying his trade in the 3rd division of Spain, playing around 10 games a season before moving on on a free, is now 38 and shows no signs of wanting to retire, as he still gets enough games! I might resign him some time if only to tutor my youngsters.

I'm officially the new Arsenal of football :D

Yeah but the difference is that your team actually win things.

There must be some formula which determines how players decline, because I've seen some excellent players. My former goalkeeper, now 32, hasn't dropped a single CA point (I've been monitoring him, because irritatingly he's still equally as good as my current one and I offloaded him thinking he'd be Serie B standard within a year).

Generally goalies and defenders will last longer as they peak later, i rarely see goalies rapidly decline in their early 30s. But it is a bit annoying that players often decline a bit too quickly in their 30s in this version.

Yeah but the difference is that your team actually win things.

Generally goalies and defenders will last longer as they peak later, i rarely see goalies rapidly decline in their early 30s. But it is a bit annoying that players often decline a bit too quickly in their 30s in this version.

One of my players - 28 years old - lost 7 CA points due to "old age". :(

It could well be linked to character, as this 28-year-old is a prat of the highest order.

One of my players - 28 years old - lost 7 CA points due to "old age". :(

It could well be linked to character, as this 28-year-old is a prat of the highest order.

Yeah i'm sure maybe hidden stats like professionalism affect how long a player will last. What position is this player btw?

Yeah i'm sure maybe hidden stats like professionalism affect how long a player will last. What position is this player btw?

AM L natural, AM C competant.

In fact, he's been learning AM C for about 5 years now - the lazy idiot hasn't bothered to learn it properly.

Which is a shame, as he is an outrageously talented winger.

I don't think it's professionalism because the likes of Rooney who aren't very professional last a very long time, while Ronaldo (professional) becomes rather useless quickly - in one occasion, Nani was much better than Ronaldo on my game.

I think it could be "lack of ambition" which makes players start dropping faster, though.

AM L natural, AM C competant.

In fact, he's been learning AM C for about 5 years now - the lazy idiot hasn't bothered to learn it properly.

Which is a shame, as he is an outrageously talented winger.

I don't think it's professionalism because the likes of Rooney who aren't very professional last a very long time, while Ronaldo (professional) becomes rather useless quickly - in one occasion, Nani was much better than Ronaldo on my game.

I think it could be "lack of ambition" which makes players start dropping faster, though.

You could well be right. It was just a guess on my part, i certainly haven't done any tests or anything like that. I'm sure another factor is how much they are still playing e.g. i bought Kluivert when his stats were still ok but didn't play him much and his stats plumetted. On the other hand i also have a 33 year-old van der Vaart who i never drop and is still quality - even if his physical stats are slowly falling.

I've had Ledley King have his best season aged 34, Jermaine Defoe aged 33 hasn't dropped a single stat, but I've also had players like Danny Murphy become useless over the course of 2 months.

I always took natural fitness to be the indicator of when players stats will drop.

ON another FM08 note I just lost an F.A cup 6th round replay to Pompey (as Altrincham in League one), If i'd won I had Man Utd in the semis. I was already sensing the glory coz we outplayed them at Fratton park and their morale was in the ditch. Yakubu (they bought him I guess) scored a brace and we lost 4-2. I'm amazed at how well the team played in this F.A cup run, given that they had only one game at home and beat two championship sides away and drew with a premiership side away, never had anything like it, I guess the players were just 'up for it'.

edit: pics

altn.th.jpg

alt2p.th.jpg

I still play 08...tried the 09 demo and was indifferent but I chose to stay with 08 after 09 got so much flack in the forums. By the way...if I bought 08 as a digital download how do I update it...I had to clean out my computer about 3 months ago and I'm stuck with version8.0. I've found the patches online but they don't install correctly. It gives me a "Error in line 33" message.

What tactics are you guys using? Im playing with Rushden. 1st Season. Brought in 12 new players and kept only 3 players from original squad.

Played 7 and won 7 so far - using Crouchaldinho's 'SIMPLICITY - How to make a solid & simple 442' tactics - Balanced, Defend and Attack.

All good so far - however last two games, ive won 3-2 and 4-2 but as you can see in the last 2 games, I am conceding a few goals.

What a completely abnoxious thing to say - grow up mate.

I think you'll find the word your looking for is Obnoxious.If your gonna get into a slagging match with the master you might as well learn how to spell.

What tactics are you guys using? Im playing with Rushden. 1st Season. Brought in 12 new players and kept only 3 players from original squad.

Played 7 and won 7 so far - using Crouchaldinho's 'SIMPLICITY - How to make a solid & simple 442' tactics - Balanced, Defend and Attack.

All good so far - however last two games, ive won 3-2 and 4-2 but as you can see in the last 2 games, I am conceding a few goals.

Seems like you've just started the season. Give it a few more matches. It usually takes my teams a while to adjust to a new season unless I haven't made a few signings.

Ran into a bug. :( Apparently, the game appears to have inflated everything related to my team by 45% - player values, salaries, balance, wage budget...

It's no big deal as it has inflated everything, but it's awful - even I modify my finances in FMM/FMRTE, it inflates them by 45% too!

It's really weird as now my promising winger/striker is now asking for 98,000 pounds per week (around 67,500 pounds per week in fact) and my top earner gets a whopping 165,000 pounds per week (around 115,000 pounds per week in reality).

Bit worried how this will impact bids and such. :(

Also, I agreed a transfer for 40 million pounds over 24 months (before price inflation) for a promising youngster, a former trainee of mine, with the knowledge that I'd only pay 60% thanks to a sell-on clause. It never happened. Just tossed around 20 million pounds down the drain... :(

Tried the demo of 09 but couldn't get into it. Straight back to 08 with Norwich. Finally got them promoted from the CHampionship after slowly building a team to challenge. Premership is going well. Won 4 out of the 5 first league games. Then went on a disasterous run of 6 straight defeats. Just pulled it back with a win at Man City.

Will be sticking with 08 for a while yet.

This sums me up completely (minus the Norwich part).

I wasn't sold on the demo whatsoever, I was told the game was better than the demo showed, but I just wasn't happy with the demo. So I made myself a game on FM08. I put Derby (my team) in the BSS, stripped them of all the players, all the money and every single bit of reputation and a little over 13 years later, they're Premier League winners.

It's the most satisfying gaming experience i've ever had.

Archived