The Better Half - TTF inspired Tactical Sets - 9.3.0

This looks like an interesting set, and the OP is excellent. Great work!

I’m about to start a new save as Barcelona, and while I always make up my own tactics, I’m tempted to try yours. I would be most inclined to look at the 41221 with a ‘playmaker DMC’, but I’m concerned that Barca don’t have a player of sufficient quality to play that role (ie Toure, Keita, Marquez). Just wondering what your thoughts are on this (maybe I just need to sell one of the above and buy a proper playmaker DMC)

If you don't want to play Xavi then....

I think you will need a new DMC playmaker. If you had been a middle team those players would have been good enough but playing as Barca, why settle for average !

Used your 442 No TM with Udinese and found it excellent. Never defended better in this iteration of FM than I did with your tactic.

It's an absolutely solid tactical set. Thanks for creating it.

I'm now going to try the 41221 DMC Playmaker set with Everton. I'm five friendlies in and I have yet to concede a goal. So it looks like another solid tactic. In five games the opposition - albeit weak opposition - have only had 4 shots on goal.

I think I'll be in the top 4 in my first season with Everton using your tactic.

Sounds great. Looking forward to your feedback. Do you think Everton has good enough wing-forwards, or are you buying some new ?

TBH do you also have some problems facing teams with the same system of your tactic ( 4 defenders, 1 mdc, 2 mc, 2 wingers, 1 plc) ? Udinese for example.

Not really but one have to understand how they play. At home I mostly use Overload or Attack Home to put high pressure on them. If they then start to attack I normally use Counter. Playing away i tend to go for Attack away.So the key is this...make sure you put pressure on their players without being drawn out of your defensive positions( you could also make your FC man-mark their DMC and close him down all the time

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With the new sets do you still use the same OI for each match strategy?

I find setting up OI every single match rather annoying.

I mainly use OI against the forwards( although not watching the game in full match for the first 5 minutes) and sometimes put my FCd or lone Fc to man-mark their deep sitting DMC if he distributes the ball too well. I also have a look at their wingers, if they keep having too much time on the ball I use the instructions against them too but not as a starting default

Cheers TBH

Hibbert doesn't fit into the 41221 DMC tactic, but I feel that Baines can contribute positively at LB in this formation. I sold some players and bought Cristian Ansaldi for the RB position. He has the attributes that you recommended for that position.

He's done well so far. In three league games he's currently got a 7.35 average rating, while Baines has a 7.13 average rating.

Was unsure who to play as DMC playmaker. Rodwell and Fellaini don't suit the role as they lack creativity. Arteta on the other hand seems suitable for the role. Retraining to a DMC but so far he's done well with an average rating of 7.30 and 1 assist.

The wingers are a problem though. You said that a AMRL/FC is better suited to the formation but unfortunately Osman and Pienaar aren't performing well in those positions. Put Baxter in and he seems to be doing better.

Yakubu is doing well but think he might be inconsistent.

So far I've P3 W2 D1 L0 with a positive GD.

Thanks

Cheers TBH

Hibbert doesn't fit into the 41221 DMC tactic, /..../Was unsure who to play as DMC playmaker. Rodwell and Fellaini don't suit the role as they lack creativity/..../The wingers are a problem though. /.../Yakubu is doing well but think he might be inconsistent.

So far I've P3 W2 D1 L0 with a positive GD.

Thanks

If you were to play a whole season with this squad it would be a really, really, good test of the Set as Everton do not have the squad for it, not at all:)

Hi TBH

Just moving into the close season on the verge of (hopefully) finishing 6th with the Hammers and playing with your first set (442TM). You have advised that I try your new set, but do you think I should perserver with the 442 and will the ai work me out if I stick with it - my boys are just getting the hang of it. Do you think your new set is much stronger - I also have Scott Parker of a v good 18 year old Zuccilini as my DMC or at a push Kovac on loan - what do you reckon guru?

Also what does ccc mean?!

I switched to the 4-2-1-2-1 formation as I had decent middies. I am managing yeovil in league 2.

Just when I think I am getting it, I get hit badly.

I just played Lincoln who are top. We were 5th and slight favourites. We were at home so I played Balanced. The scout said the normal Counter Attacking but like to keep possesion.

They appeared to play with a sitting back four with quite direct passing coming forward sO again I felt i had picked correctly. We were 3-1 down at half time and I only got 1 back because I chnaged to attack home.

Firstly what would you have done?

Secondly, when I see teams coming forward with direct passing and the full backs are coming forward too, is that the time to play counter?

I could really do with a quick summary of what to watch for home and away and how to play against it,. I am trying to put something together. I do seem to have stopped letting 3 goal leads slip.!!!

Additionally, are you like Cleon, and know what the AI will do in certain situations? i.e. does the AI tend to change anything straight away if you score/they score?

Any help will be gratefully recieved.

sorry to double post but....

Here's an example of how I do it. What am I doing wrong?

Stockport away and we are slight underdogs. We are 4th they are 6th.They are expected to play a possession game with just one striker.

From advice you have given, I decide to go attacking away to not give them too much possession. I tight mark/close down the lone striker. they are playing 4-2(DM)-3(AMRLC)-1. So I also tight mark the AMC.

We seem to be doin gok early on but I notice their full backs are joining their attacks and trying to overlap. I switch to Counter Attacking instead.

That clearly isn't working as all of the chances are going their way as well as possession. I return to att away. It continues that Stockport dominate and I really want to change something. I resist and on 39mns they finally score.

Now what? What I am doing obviosuly isn'y working so I decide defensive until half time. we shade that last 5 mins, missing a penalty in the process. Typical!

2nd half - i encourage the lads and send them out. Not much to talk about until in the 57th minute we equalise. Maybe I should have started defensive in the 1st place.

I certainly feel safer with this. I even out the possession and chances and then in the 78th minute they burst down the left wing, swing in a cross and go 2-1 up. There's no point staying defensive now so I go overload and after an early chance to equalise all of the rest of the game I am under pressure but it ends 2-1 to Stockport!

Should I have started with defensive?

I switched to the 4-2-1-2-1 formation as I had decent middies. I am managing yeovil in league 2.

Just when I think I am getting it, I get hit badly.

I just played Lincoln who are top. We were 5th and slight favourites. We were at home so I played Balanced. The scout said the normal Counter Attacking but like to keep possesion.

They appeared to play with a sitting back four with quite direct passing coming forward sO again I felt i had picked correctly. We were 3-1 down at half time and I only got 1 back because I chnaged to attack home.

1. )Firstly what would you have done?

2. )Secondly, when I see teams coming forward with direct passing and the full backs are coming forward too, is that the time to play counter?

I could really do with a quick summary of what to watch for home and away and how to play against it,. I am trying to put something together. I do seem to have stopped letting 3 goal leads slip.!!!

3. )Additionally, are you like Cleon, and know what the AI will do in certain situations? i.e. does the AI tend to change anything straight away if you score/they score?

Any help will be gratefully recieved.

1. )Home to Lincoln it just sounds as you played without a concept. Not attacking, not with a possession approach. Home against top teams I find it important to be in charge of the game, either through attack, pushing them back, or through a patient slow and defensive(boring) build up

2.) Either an attacking approach or an counter attacking approach with advancing fullbacks. Non the less, either play Counter( against the attacking) or Attack away or Defensive against the Counter version

3.) I normally have a pretty good idea yes, but as all managers, I´m sometimes wrong.

Hi TBH

Just moving into the close season on the verge of (hopefully) finishing 6Th with the Hammers and playing with your first set (442TM). You have advised that I try your new set, but do you think I should preserver with the 442 and will the AI work me out if I stick with it - my boys are just getting the hang of it. Do you think your new set is much stronger ?

The AI does not figure you out. As for the set you are to use in the second season, I think that you could use the slow and patient approach of the 41221, or use the 442 No TM.

sorry to double post but....

Here's an example of how I do it. What am I doing wrong?

Stockport away and we are slight underdogs. We are 4th they are 6th.They are expected to play a possession game with just one striker.

From advice you have given, I decide to go attacking away to not give them too much possession. I tight mark/close down the lone striker. they are playing 4-2(DM)-3(AMRLC)-1. So I also tight mark the AMC.

We seem to be doin gok early on but I notice their full backs are joining their attacks and trying to overlap. I switch to Counter Attacking instead.

That clearly isn't working as all of the chances are going their way as well as possession. I return to att away. It continues that Stockport dominate and I really want to change something. I resist and on 39mns they finally score.

Now what? What I am doing obviosuly isn'y working so I decide defensive until half time. we shade that last 5 mins, missing a penalty in the process. Typical!

2nd half - i encourage the lads and send them out. Not much to talk about until in the 57th minute we equalise. Maybe I should have started defensive in the 1st place.

I certainly feel safer with this. I even out the possession and chances and then in the 78th minute they burst down the left wing, swing in a cross and go 2-1 up. There's no point staying defensive now so I go overload and after an early chance to equalise all of the rest of the game I am under pressure but it ends 2-1 to Stockport!

Should I have started with defensive?

Have a look at the movement of their fullbacks. Overlaps are not a sign of them playing "Attack", in which case the Counter would have been the right choice, but its how and when they join the attack that is of importance. If they are constantly in touch with the DMc or Winger when it comes to yards and passing options but only going forward when they are and in the same tempo, I would say that they are playing a Control version or a slightly more defensove one. The I would have started/switch to 7.Defensive to regain possession, only switching up when reaaly in need of it

I thought I would upload a screen of a match as its a good example on how the a defensive AI get too much possession. Here Siena is playing a flat 442 and we are using the 4231 Attack Away, without any OI. As you can see their midfielders, especially the MR/L have too much time on the ball and can pass it, forwards and backwards, slowly progressing up the field as a unit. This is why it is of great importance to close down/always on the MR/L.

Normally it would be our Wingers that will close them out but if the AI MR/L would be a bit higher up in the field it would be our Fbs. In that case we would, id getting the ball have a very good chance countering the AI as they now would have too many players in front of the ball instead of behind

raomasiena.png

Hi TBH!

Will post an update on my Freiburg-Save tommorow. I think I now can handle the tactic choosing and we are sitting in 2nd place with 5 points in front of the 3rd.

I have a quick question for me to understand: If my opponent plays attacking wingers I have to use counter away and attack away at home. Am I right? Played against Bielefeld who played 41221 with very attacking wingers. I choosed attack away and were 4:0 in front in the 70th minute. I decided to let the game play out with defensive to regain possession and finisch with a clean sheet. But they scored in the 77th minute because my team played to narrow and there wingers had to many place. What had you done in my situation?

Hi TBH!

Will post an update on my Freiburg-Save tommorow. I think I now can handle the tactic choosing and we are sitting in 2nd place with 5 points in front of the 3rd.

I have a quick question for me to understand: If my opponent plays attacking wingers I have to use counter away and attack away at home. Am I right? Played against Bielefeld who played 41221 with very attacking wingers. I choosed attack away and were 4:0 in front in the 70th minute. I decided to let the game play out with defensive to regain possession and finisch with a clean sheet. But they scored in the 77th minute because my team played to narrow and there wingers had to many place. What had you done in my situation?

Attack away is excellent against teams leaving a gap between their attacking players( FC, AMC/R/L), that are not tracking back, and their next strata, MC/R/L. this means that their midfielders will be drawn out of position. Playing away they( the AI) usually tend to lift their whole team closing out the gap. We then normally have the choice to use Counter, getting in behind their Fullbacks or play Defensive, possession football in the gap they now leave, either between our GK and d.-line or between their D-line and midfield

In the match i think you did almost everything correct....up to the part were you decided to regain the possession by switching to defensive( balanced or control would have been better)

the 4231 tactic works great. I already have a very strong team (liverpool 5th season) and having won everything with my tactic(although i tested some other tactics before creating my own) i decided before starting a new game to test this. IT is really great, the football is amazing and you can have more control on the games and your players. I always used to have one main tactic and make amendments during the game but i now find that a set of tactics is nice to play and challenging. I am really pleased so thank you for this effort.

As for the tactic what are you trying to improve? i see it is still in beta. I have completed a full season with it so if you need any specific feedback let me know.

Again thanks for the tactics and keep up the great work...

As for the tactic what are you trying to improve? i see it is still in beta. I have completed a full season with it so if you need any specific feedback let me know.

Again thanks for the tactics and keep up the great work...

The main part of the final tweaking is to secure that the Attack Home IS Attack Home, that Balanced IS Balanced etc etc and not just good versions that in the end turns out to have the same strengths and weaknesses.The hardest part in beta testing is just this, to be able to tweak the version towards perfection one have to do so in matches, and only in matches, were the specific version is the right choice of tactic

- I would love to see some feedback on Counter, is it good enough when the AI plays a quick tempo, attacking football with advancing fullbacks?

- Is the Balanced version strong enough to actually use against all oppositions. Even if very wrongly picked, this version should stand up against the AI long enough for us to recognize the faulty version picking and also what to do.

- Attack Home - I have already finished this version and its really good. It works like a charm when it should and one is not instantly punished for picking it at the wrong time.

- Should we be further up the field in Control, is the movement of the players good enough, should some players run with ball more ?

Cheers

TBH, looking for that screen you recommend always use closing down and tight marking in all AI's wingers ?

If they were playing in the manner they were,slow, patience and moving as one defensive unit, then YES. Its crucial. If their fullbacks had been much closer to them, making a run forward, it would have been a different story as we then would have changed version to an attacking instead of controlling.

almost finishing my championship with rome, 2 games left. Bought moutinho and veloso ( veloso for a substitute as a lying playmaker for rossi). Maybe i didn't better because sometimes i have a lot of difficulty picking the better version. i don't understand AI as you.

http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs537&d=09120&f=tabela133.jpg

You won the league for crying out loud, how could you do better:D

TBH, last game with my liverpool againt middlesbrough (away) very frustating for me. Use 442 attack away lead 1-4 at half time, i change to 442 balanced and they start score goal easily ... score 4 goal and lead 5-4 after 82 minute than i change again to 442 attack away i can score late goal and game ended with 5-5. :(

Why if i use 442 balanced my ass say to many gap between mid and for ?

Note. i use 442 semi targetman.

TBH, last game with my liverpool againt middlesbrough (away) very frustating for me. Use 442 attack away lead 1-4 at half time, i change to 442 balanced and they start score goal easily ... score 4 goal and lead 5-4 after 82 minute than i change again to 442 attack away i can score late goal and game ended with 5-5. :(

Why if i use 442 balanced my ass say to many gap between mid and for ?

Note. i use 442 semi targetman.

Firstly, I would change to the 442 No TM as it suits top teams much better

- The gap is there because we want it to be, having one forward playing on the shoulder of the last defender.

- The reason for their comeback is simple...you went down a version as the same time as they started to play a defensive possession based football. In this scenario it gave them control of the game.

Hi TBH!

Here is a little update on my save. Sometimes I wasn't able to choose the right tactic, but I think I'm doing better then in first season. Have a look at the table:

2.Bundesliga-4.png

With 1 game against St.Pauli to go we are back in the Bundesliga! Media Prediction said we should be 3rd and I think if Hoffenheim hadn't this great run we could probably be 1st! I played 442noTM for the whole season. My biggest problem was that we conceded too much. With 68 goals for we had the 2nd best offense in the league, but our 36 goals against are disappointing.

Here is my squad:

SCFreiburg-3.png

You see that the goals came from players all over the place. Dalibor Veselinovic was a perfect joker and the performance of Gomez (MCl) and Uzoma (MCr) were really great! Together they had 28(!!!) assists!

Next season in Bundesliga will be hard for us. Which of your sets would you recommend for a newly promoted side like us?

which tactic would you reccomend for reading given their players?

First season patch 9.3 data-update ? If so, then i would start with the 442 no TM set, as you have better forwards then you have central midfielders. But I think that a newly promoted side could have a marvelous season in the EPL playing the 41221, if having the players for it( not great players, just the player types;))

Not really as they are so many....does this work for you ?

Download link to win-rar

http://www.win-rar.com/download.html

I personally use a program called IZArc. It's free and supports both zip and rar files and doesn't bug me with a reminder all the time.

Back to FM2009, I have now tried all 4 of your sets and am getting there slowly.

Probably the biggest help was the screenshot. Not because of the OI tips but the fact that you showed me to use the elevated view to see what is happening rather than my prefered main stand view. I now switch depending on if i need to see what the full backs are doing.

If there full backs tend to stay back and they seem to be playing a defensive possession type of game, am I right in thinking I should play Att Away when away from home?

I am still finding that I don't use Attack Home much. Maybe it's because Yeovil are over achieveing currently.

If there full backs tend to stay back and they seem to be playing a defensive possession type of game, am I right in thinking I should play Att Away when away from home?

I am still finding that I don't use Attack Home much. Maybe it's because Yeovil are over achieving currently.

Yes, most of the time. When being recognized as a major threat you can also get away with using 7.Defensive more. Sounds weird ?.. Well it´s the fact that Attack away is the perfect underdog tactic against teams playing a bit headless against you(underestimate)....and just the same 7.Defensive can make an average team overachieve when the opponents are playing too careful(overestimate)

I think I would use the 41221. The Balanced version would probably be a great starting version to learn the set and you would probably only have to use Attack Home, defensive and Counter to go with it

So I will try to use your 41221. Need some advice. Which of the following two players would fit better in the DM spot? I think I should use Orestes. What would you do?

ORESTES

Orestes.png

EKE UZOMA

22.EkeUzoma.png

So I will try to use your 41221. Need some advice. Which of the following two players would fit better in the DM spot? I think I should use Orestes. What would you do?

Looks that way, but there are some stats I cant translate into Swedish/English;)

I have been using your original set since 9.03 and have been promoted twice with Stafford Rangers - I am now starting in the Championship with them in 2015. My first away game was against Coventry and I was a slight underdog. I began the game with Attack Away and was 2-0 up by half time. Starting the 2nd half I switched to Defensive to try and bleed some time off the clock - scored again 3-0. However the next 10 minutes saw them score 2 goals and start to totally dominate. I switched back to Attack Away and scored 1 more to win 4-2. Still seem to have problems with Defensive as it seems to invite the opposition onto me and almost always guarantees them a goal or 2.

Any ideas if I am applying this tactic incorrectly?

These are amazing, started a chelsea league today with 4-4-2 no target man. Drogba is on fire upfront and the football we are playing is awesome. I echo a few people on here stating it has re-ignited my passion for the game even early on in the season.

Cheers for this, i will let you know how i did come may!

first 3 games

liverpool at home i won 2-0

arsenal away i won 1-0

sunderland away i won 3-1

Firstly, I would change to the 442 No TM as it suits top teams much better

- The gap is there because we want it to be, having one forward playing on the shoulder of the last defender.

- The reason for their comeback is simple...you went down a version as the same time as they started to play a defensive possession based football. In this scenario it gave them control of the game.

TBH what's your suggest? after halftime i still use 442 attack away or change tactic ???

TBH what's your suggest? after halftime i still use 442 attack away or change tactic ???

I would have stayed ..or.... changed to Overload or Control

Edit; About the Boro match, I could be wrong about version picking being the reason for their 2:nd half comeback. It might just as well be the half time team talk, the combination of their and yours

I have been using your original set since 9.03 and have been promoted twice with Stafford Rangers - I am now starting in the Championship with them in 2015. My first away game was against Coventry and I was a slight underdog. I began the game with Attack Away and was 2-0 up by half time. 1. ) Starting the 2nd half I switched to Defensive to try and bleed some time off the clock - scored again 3-0. 2. ) However the next 10 minutes saw them score 2 goals and start to totally dominate. 3. )I switched back to Attack Away and scored 1 more to win 4-2. Still seem to have problems with Defensive as it seems to invite the opposition onto me and almost always guarantees them a goal or 2.

Any ideas if I am applying this tactic incorrectly?

1. ) Good choice even though the goal was a bonus

2. ) Now, here lies the flaw of the version picking. After scoring 3-0 2 things normally happens. Firstly, your players most likely started to shove complacency which, at this stage, you really can´t do so much about in terms of coaching. Secondly, and most importantly, the AI reverts to a more cautious possession tactic but as they were playing at home, they did not use counter attack.. So they are sitting rather deep and playing cautious, you are sitting just as deep BUT with counter attack, and at this point the "Cautious" always beats the Defensive.

After 3-0 I would have switched to 4.Attack away and implemented some heavy OI on the players responsible for the build up.Sounds difficult ?, Not really. When you feel something is going wrong, turn the match into "full match" for a few minutes and watch it in Classical View( 3d or 2d) and IMPORTANT, Elevated. From here its easy to see what is going on. You will not always read the game correctly and/or make the correct tactical choices and sometimes they will not work but most of the time you will get it right and will be rewarded by seeing a instant change in the match

Not really as they are so many....does this work for you ?

Download link to win-rar

http://www.win-rar.com/download.html

Ah sorry about that i'd forgotten about winrar. I've recently just had to wipe everything on my computer and i've forgotten to put winrar back on it. So when I downloaded the sets the computer didn't recognise the file type. But now it does so a big thank you.

Always get owned by man city esp away or on neutral ground. Any tips? using spurs with the 4-4-2 no tm. normally start with counter and tight mark on robinho.

best lineup would probably be

GOMES

corluka/hutton

collocini

woodgate/jagielka

bentley

veloso

moutino

di maria/modric

marquinos./cardozo

paloschi/defoe

Thanks

Always get owned by man city esp away or on neutral ground. Any tips?

I would need more information on how they play. The formation, Mentality, tempo and width. i.e Would you say they play a quick direct game, a slow probing and patient game with lots of people behind the ball etc etc.

Hey TBH,

I have a couple of questions:

1) Which set would you recommend for a BSP team?

2) Which is the best version to start with away from home when the odds are fairly close?

1.) Entirely depends on your squad. If you lack in wing forwards and don't have a creative MC/DMC, they go with the 442 No TM. But if you have players that are skilled in passing( for the level playing at;)) i would consider the 41221. The 4231 is still in beta but that could also be used

2.) As for this questions I would probably start with Balanced. Mainly because its a great way of learning the set as its quiet easy to see in which way to go.

I would need more information on how they play. The formation, Mentality, tempo and width. i.e Would you say they play a quick direct game, a slow probing and patient game with lots of people behind the ball etc etc.

they were playing a 4-1-2-2-1. i would say that they were playing a slow probing game with lots of players behind the ball as well. the front 3 of Robinho(st), zhirkov(Wg) and obasi were driving me aggro. :mad:

chelski play a similar formation as well. only difference is their full backs bomb forward more.

Match stats for both games would be as follows

vs man city (fa cup semi)@wembly ) 0-2 to them

possesion 51-49 to me

shots 7(1 on target)- 17(10 on target),

ccc 1-2

vs chelski @White hart lane 1-1

possesion 44-56 to them

Shots 9(2 on target), 18(4)

ccc 1-2

Archived