Sports Interactive Community

I wouldn't mind a graphical image of the world with a red line showing you which teams you've managed at throughout your career. Then when you click on a point along the line, stats about your career appear below the map outlining things such as your win %, WDL, GS, GA, best league position, no. of players signed, no. of players sold, your wage.

This would give you a progressive list of your clubs.

Another idea would be to include your favoured players/disliked players.

-Ones that you always praise in press conferences and throughout the media. (Media could create stories based around this saying this players is your 'son' or 'he is the managers pet'.

-On the other hand the ones that you always hate on. (Media tells stories of 'Is he on the way out?' or you give a wronfg impression of yourself (aggresive manager some players don't like this, won't sign for you) This can work the other way round.

Yeah so...

I've taken Witton Albion to 40 years of Premiership trophies, I expect to be a legend, even after I've left the club. I also expect to be on a lot of players and staffs favourite personnel list..

I quite agree. I won 7 leagues and 3 european cups with a team and was 'world class.' After 2 seasons midtable in german second division with dynamo dresden, my rep was down to national!

I think it's fair that if someone has ONLY been midtable with a second tier side, they are not considered a legend but once you are a world class manager, your status should remain legendary forever and it should take much longer for your 'career rating' to fall too.

I would suggest ratings obscure, local, regional, national, continental, world class and legendary as they have now, with legendary the permanent rating of anyone who has been world class before as player or manager. The legendary status should stick forever and should give you some team talk advantages and advantages in terms of signing players and getting good jobs. Nonetheless, your overall career rating could fall over a 10 year period, so that repeated failures do eventually have an impact while not completely ruining your reputation that was carefully built up! I also think it's absurd that a world class manager can spend a couple of years out of the top flight and become national!

my other suggestions would be:

1 team talks should be more quantitative rather than qualitative so the overall effect of the teamtalk is easily understood.

2 for long-term playability, they need to sort out the regens and ensure the quality of players after 15 years is the same as it is in 2009, regardless of how many leagues you run and database size. Otherwise, it's not a viable long-term game.

3 sort out the bugs BEFORE releasing the game. SI will soon lose their cred and lose their market share unless they heed this advice.

4 I think the manager's interaction with fans could be more fun - as you say, after unparalelled success, you should be a legend or icon... the club might offer you a testimonial after 10 years, the club build a statue of you if you've been successful over 20 years and some more fan compliments of the job you are doing - eg providing attacking, pretty football or creating a fanclub for the manager after several league titles or promotions.

little touches like that would be fun and certainly more enjoyable than the half-baked press conferences

Forgive me if I'm wrong (and to be fair, I've only just found out about the Biographies page!) but is there a screen to show where in the league a team finished each season? I know it has "Highest position" etc on the Records page but I've not been able to find where a team finished each season for a few FM releases now.

It's nice to see if you've made a general improvement during your tenure at a club.

Forgive me if I'm wrong (and to be fair, I've only just found out about the Biographies page!) but is there a screen to show where in the league a team finished each season? I know it has "Highest position" etc on the Records page but I've not been able to find where a team finished each season for a few FM releases now.

It's nice to see if you've made a general improvement during your tenure at a club.

Club page -> History -> Competitions -> View: Domestic Leagues

Example (Luton Town)

I totally agree on point 1 and 2... the rest is more on the cosmetic side but why not?

We need more and better interaction, and I feel the press conferences should become much more varied and in-depth.

I'd like to be able to talk to media about what I want, when I want...

E.g. after an Unsettled Player has asked to move for the Nth time, I'd like to tell the media he can go duck himself if he's really willing to throw away Champions League football for a slightly higher wage at a mid-table side in a big league.

And so on...

But the most urgent change regarding managers MUST be turnover

What's the point in having contracts, if the renewal is almost guaranteed unless you really really really drop the ball?

Top Clubs either keep the same guy [good or bad, it matters little] for decades, or just hire every former top player they can find.

Either way, there isn't enough activity in the manager transfer market... In the game you'll never see Mourinho leaving Inter to join Madrid after an epic treble.

And if you were him, you'd have no reason to do so anyway... because once you've established your policy at a club, why should you leave?

Not that your board will ever say "thank you, you've been awesome but we think it's time for a change now, we won't offer a new contract", kinda like AC Milan did with Ancelotti.

Basically FM prevents you from having a nice journeyman career, or even a relatively normal one...

Lifelong spells at one club, a la Alex Ferguson or Guy Roux, are exceptions in real life, while in FM they're the rule...

I badly want some of this stuff. How depressing is it that there has been barely any improvements like this in the two or three versions since CP wrote this. :( What chance is there of something happening for FM12?

Still badly want the manager dot, by the way! :cool:

+ several from me. It's always been a lacking area and still is.

Brilliant ideas, excellently expressed and pretty much a well written project overview for someone at Si to make the career journeymen amongst us thrilled with FM12. It really ought to be someone's job description for the next 6 months.

Brilliant post Captain P, I do hope that SI are going to take some, or all of this on board. Long term play needs attention in FM12. Love the manager dot, but not just that.

Miles ? are you listening ?

Ha, I read about 3 posts from the first page before realising this was written in 2009. That just shows you what little progress has been made in this area, as I didn't once think 'Hold on, that's already in the game'. Considering the comments and support for these ideas back in 2009, that's quite depressing.

I would love these things to be in the game, long term management is what keeps me playing FM. And I love stats, as anyone who started out on early CM/FM's (before there were really any graphics) probably does.

Ha, I read about 3 posts from the first page before realising this was written in 2009. That just shows you what little progress has been made in this area, as I didn't once think 'Hod on, that's already in the game'.

Hah! I did exactly the same. Would be nice to see some progress in this regard.

Hah! I did exactly the same. Would be nice to see some progress in this regard.

Same here!

I think the fact that 2 years on and tihs thread is more relevant than ever speaks for itself. The game feels very limp and lifeless in a long career save :(

excellent ideas. seeing this thread started in 2009 and they are yet to fix the favored personnel and preferred tactics thingy. its all seem half done still.

it seems they are too busy trying to implement new stuffs, like the agent, to throughly polish the rest. especially the manager dot favored personnel etc. is this little things that goes a long long way.

Have often wondered why there is no manager dot. There are 22 player dots + players on the bench dots + a referee dot + 2 linesmen dots (probably will be 4 more dots in CL and EL in next versions) + fysio dots, now there are also crowd dots, why there is no manager dot escapes me...:confused:

Ha, I read about 3 posts from the first page before realising this was written in 2009.

And I didn't notice til I read that comment! Love the ideas, defo should be added.

Cheers lads, lets hope it grabs someones attention at some point :)

It got tagged so it already has :).

Excellent post, CaptainPlanet :thup: Career gameplay really does need more recognition.

What I would like to see, and I know this isn't a feature, but it's a bug that can significantly ruin career gameplay: the nationality/reputation bug. Basically, your reputation will be "National" with any nationality other than English. So if you want to start at the bottom of the barrel as an unproven manager, you have to select English as your nationality. Of course, if you're actually English, this won't matter, and you've probably never noticed this... but if you're not, then it seriously detracts from the experience when you can't play as your self. At least, not without getting a much easier gameplay experience due to starting with a larger reputation.

Manager dot, yes! I was thinking about this the other day. I daydreamed you could decide weather you were the kind of manager would wear a) a suit b) a training kit or c) an old woman's full length puffy winter's coat (arsen wenger stryle)

I completely agree. The original set of points or all very important and they really are what adds the enjoyment to the game.

Something like a simple achievement page that lists things like your key moments as a manager, the records you have broken, your successfulness in certain cups, to what extent you have progressed or declined a team, what earned you pay rises, players who have made it onto the world stage that you nurtured. Could also be a good addition.

1. I'd like the international scene to be better, it seems very boring to me thats why i never would be an international manager on fm

2. Improve player conversations

3. The kits should change each year just like in real life

4. The manager dot of course

5. Should be able to send your players away to a camp or holiday in pre season just like ion total club manager lol, improve morale

6. Should beable to create your own set pieces in training and then use them in the matches

7. You should have an interview before taking a job on

8. I agree with the first two suggestions on the first post

Bump to keep interest high :)

I'm interested. Especially regarding an overhaul of the favoured personel system. Was really annoyed to see that when I left F.C.A.K of South Africa having got them promoted I was removed from the favoured personel list.

And the manager relationships are becoming old...Carlo Ancellotti sucks up to me everytime I play him and he normally recieves a polite reply, yet after years of this he still only feels we could become friends.

Would love to see all these ideas added to the game. It would add so much more to long term games.

Let's keep the interest going and hopefully some will be added for fm12

I read through the first page before realising the thread was written in 2009. A shame, nothing of the stuff captain planet wrote about has been listened to... a pity.

Dynamic user selected league rules that can be set when we get the option to alter our pitch.

CP, your squad status should definitely be changed to 'shameless bumper' :D

Anyway, I have agreed 2 years ago and I still do.

I hope some of this stuff gets included for FM12.

When do we get to know the added stuff for FM12 anyway? When is the announcement due?

I hope some of this stuff gets included for FM12.

When do we get to know the added stuff for FM12 anyway? When is the announcement due?

"Am getting a LOT of messages on Facebook & Twitter asking when announcements on FM12 are. We don't announce announcements. Patience please!"

"We don't normally announce til end of August / early September though, so....."

From Miles' twitter.

Cheers for that -PV.

I don't really keep up with Twitter or Facebook! :D

Well, let's just hope it's going to be good news and some of the stuff in this thread makes it!

Late I know but I'd like to see changes to the biography page.

I think it has lots of potential but the detail in it is lacking, and the organisation of the layout is a bit off. Looking on the biography for my current career game it mentions my short spells with teams A, B and C. But it doesn't mention that I got promotion via the playoffs for team A. It doesn't mention why I left any of the teams (job offer from B, job offer from C, and then finally getting sick of the board selling players for me).

It doesn't make a note of how many times I've been promoted and how, if I've ever been relgated. It has a list of achievements at the end like manager of the year but it doesn't tie them to the team. I won league 2 manager of the year, but it doesn't say if that was with team A or team B.

Small details but really important for me in a career game. So I think I'd like it if there was more detail.

Rather than 'Manager spent a short spell at team A between June 2013 and January 2015' it could also say 'Manager led team A from league X to league Y via the playoffs and their achievments with the team were recognised with league X manager of the year award. They then left the team in Xth place in the table for the team B job in league Z. Manager was quoted in the press at the time of leaving as saying, "I've enjoyed my time at the club but I feel the chance to work at team B is too good to turn down"'.

Having the option to say why you've left a club, and have you career recorded in more detail (more of a detailed story than a disjointed set of statements too), might only be cosmetic but I'd enjoy career games more that way.

EDIT: Just noticed on my career biography. 'After leaving The U's, de la Vega took charge at Oldham where he stayed until July 2018.' It doesn't mention the 2 back to back promotions, or suriviving against expectations in the championship, or that it was with Oldham that I got 2 manager of the year awards. 3 very eventful seasons of my career game condensed into a sentence.

Really like the suggestions in the OP. Strange that not some of them haven't been implemented. And I would love to have a manager dot.

Many things make football special, but for us in here I think statistics and the possibility to progress over the years make the game so special. So I hope SI have read this thread and will give us some new features in FM2012.