Suggestion: Career Game Improvements

I would like to see more detail with the manager profile for sure. Also favoured personnel in the personal screen. If using a third party editor you can see that we do get players and managers we like so why cant it show up on our screen

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definately bring the dot in straight away. When Ji Sung Park scored against Portugal in 2002, he ran straight to Gus The Hiddink. I would love to see a player

who I am a favoured personnal of, run to me after they score would look mad ^^.

i would like the manager dot to yell at the 4th official and also yell at the opposing manager dot if it's a manager dot he dislikes or they're screaming for a penalty or booking or a dive,etc....

lots of good ideas in this thread that would definitely help with the immersion factor.

• 3 weeks later...

1. Favoured Personnel

Most definite yes! No reason for this not to be in the game.

2. Expansion of relationship with other Managers

I agree, however this should be an additional option, it shouldn't be necessary to have a good save.

3. A simple "Achievements" screen

Yes, this has always been something that's annoyed me.

4. A career confidence bar

No point.

5. Manager stats/attributes

Again, yes.

6. The Manager dot!

No point.

Brilliant stuff, Captain.

4. A career confidence bar - No point.

There is a point, actually. The current Confidence bar is very much a "What have you done for me lately" approach. Yes, it does seem modern football has that attitude often .. but then you also see long-term legends like Sir Alex. When we're talking about 20-season save games, that's the sort of character we're talking about ... and yeah, at that point, I think a career confidence bar adds a lot.

It sort of hints towards the Club Legend status that I've proposed elsewhere - in which, basically, if your achievements dramatically exceed the club's reputation when you first took over, then you've achieved a sort of permanent Legend status with the club. In my suggestion, boards would be willing to "write off" one season of failed expectations as bad luck / injury crisis / rebuilding .. board takeovers would find it impossible to sack you because of the fan backlash .. and you'd be able to be sacked / resign / accept a different job without falling off the Club Favorites list.

Its a pretty simple set that I was asking for, but I think C.P.'s idea gives that a lot more depth than I was thinking of, and Gypsum's follow-on post about Iconic players is equally valuable for that continued-immersion-after-20-years factor.

6. The Manager dot! - No point.

Umm... we have the fourth official dot and two physio dots .. how is the manager dot any less useful than either of those?

Imagine seeing the manager dot come a yard onto the pitch to argue a call, or move to the end of the box to argue with the fourth official, or huddling close to a player as he gets his final instructions before stepping onto the pitch. Immersive, nothing else.

. . .

The ideas I'd add, C.P., are around #5 -

5. Manager stats/attributes

I'm my own manager, how I play the game is totally different to my mates and there should be some attributes and stats that relate to that. The ones that exist currently again seem half-implemented and don't seem to work correctly (e.g. preferred marking style ont he personal screen).

I would love to see a set of number than breaks down what I'm like as a manager, I'd like number to say that I'm a wheeler and dealer in the transfer market, I please the media and I'm quite angry in the dressing room. I also want it to show what my current favourite formation is as well as playing style.

I think it would be fantastic if these attributes and stats related to other game content too. Media/Other Manager comments about me and my personality and my preferred playing style. This is in already in a very limited fashion and could be expanded on.

I'd very much like to see these things built up.

Preferred Formation, Preferred marking style, etc., should all be things that the game can "understand" just by looking at what I trot out every week.

My other behaviors, similarly - in fact, it might help players learn how the game is interpreting what they are saying. For example, if it told me I was "quite angry in the dressing room", I'd realize that I was being more volcanic than I'd intended to be.

Beyond that, though, there is a bunch of "stat" things we could see.

Why not a "History" page similar to that for clubs and players?

I'd love to be able to look back and see my club, league, W-D-L, GD, and finishing position for every season of every managerial stint I've had, maybe with termination results, for example:

Club         W  D  L   GD  GF GA  Pos   
2008/09  AGOVV        1  7 12  -27   9 36  20th  Dutch Erest Divisie    Sacked
2008/09  Port Talbot  5  6 10  - 8  26 34  13th  Welsh Premier League
2009/10  Port Talbot 10  5  9  + 6  36 30   6th  Welsh Premier League   Resigned

One thing I would like to see is more celebration after an achievement e.g. winning the league or a cup competition. A message in your inbox is not that rewarding, maybe a trophy celebration on the pitch after the game or a lap of honour? Would this be too hard to do?

brilliant stuff from everyone, kudos to CP as the OP, I always do long term career games and I wholeheartedly agree with everything said. On the point about the statues, in CM 01/02 I managed Derby and after 20 years got a statue in front of the stadium after winning everything. It was just a news item in my inbox but I was still chuffed to bits. In FM 06 and 07 I got Dundalk from the first division in Ireland to the Champions League proper several times over the course of a 15-20 year career and didn't even get a mention of anything let alone get on the favoured personnel list. If that happened in real life I'd have the stadium named after me along with never having to put my hand in my pocket for a pint ever again!

Another option would be that you could be given the freedom of the city of the club if you've won the league/ european cup after taking a team from nowhere. It's purely cosmetic and doesn't do anything or take anything away from the game but it would be a nice touch. The "taken a team from relative obscurity..." line you get is rubbish, especially seeming as it comes up even if you win the Champions league with a big team. I've had Fergie saying to to me a few times with Utd and it just look ridiculous.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Some good ideas Captain Planet. I do hope some of the problems we see in multiple season games are also sorted out - AI managers of quality coming through to present new challenges, AI managers following a more nuanced transfer policy rather than allowing their clubs to stagnate with multiple 35+ year old players, financial issues (such as ludicrously small stadiums for clubs which have had long term success with healthy finances, sponsorship deals not quite reflecting a club's status or achievements) and also allowing league reputations to fluctuate a little more based on European success.

:thup: I do love well constructed and positive threads!

All these suggestions are seemingly easy to put into the game, and given the reaction to the OP I'm hopeful SI will realise what we really want to see in FM10.

I think this thread shows that FM09 really stressed tactics, maybe FM10 should focus on the other aspects of management.

Brilliant suggestions CP :thup:

• 1 month later...

Great suggestions. It'd be nice for the game to emulate the kind of godly status that some managers achieve. For example, if I were to take Notts County to the EPL and eventually win the champions league with them, surely I'd be given a similar status to Sir Alex Ferguson. At the moment in the game the manager reputation system is only really used to decide whether you get a job or not. I'd really like to see more of a fuss brought up about manager's reputations. If I were to try a 2-2-2-4 formation as an inexperienced coach, I'd expect the newspapers to rip me to shreds, but if I were highly reputed they'd sing my praises and call it a stroke of genius.

Reading the last post mentioning Sir Alex Ferguson- makes me think that it would be great to be knighted or similar award depending on which country you are playing in.

The prefix "sir" in front of your name would be cool

I agree with pretty much all the OPs suggestions, i just hope SI have taken note as this thread has been around for months.

One of the things i've been wanting for years is a manager summary page more like the one clubs have at the moment so at a glance i can see my all time top scorer under me (for whatever team i'd managed), the team i've had the most points points with in a season ect. It could also include stats like number of promotions and relegations. Leauge wins cup wins and goal difference just doesn't cut it in the current format.

Thinking about this there should be a better summary page for players too. It would be nice to click say on a famous player and see at a glance on a summary page things like: 2 times world player of the year, 5 times top league goal scorer, 6 league title medals ect. Sure you can click on his history and see his acheivements but having them nicely summarised would be a great touch in my opinion. The information is already in the game, just needs to be presented to us a bit better.

Thinking about this there should be a better summary page for players too. It would be nice to click say on a famous player and see at a glance on a summary page things like: 2 times world player of the year, 5 times top league goal scorer, 6 league title medals ect. Sure you can click on his history and see his acheivements but having them nicely summarised would be a great touch in my opinion.

That, and include records at that. like

"Youngest player for Everton at age ..."

"Most assists for Liverpool xxxx-xxxx"

"Most assists for Real Madrid Season xxxx-xxxx"

Reading the last post mentioning Sir Alex Ferguson- makes me think that it would be great to be knighted or similar award depending on which country you are playing in.

The prefix "sir" in front of your name would be cool

I've mentioned this before and my idea was ripped apart!! :mad:

I feel like I was naive and idealistic when I came up with these (fairly simple) suggestions - thinking a well constructed thread starter with a decent amount of community backing could actually influence the game makers.

Whilst the full list of features for FM10 isn't announced, I'd be massively suprised if any of these actually made the cut.

If none of them are, or are just as poorly implemented as previous attempts, I'm certainly withdrawing myself from the community and testing pool for SI.

Toys out of pram? Maybe. But there you go.

I've mentioned this before and my idea was ripped apart!! :mad:

I can't see why:(

Its purely cosmetic and I guess if it was included it would only be for long term sustained success. It would definately be something to aim for....and brag about:cool:

Whilst the full list of features for FM10 isn't announced, I'd be massively suprised if any of these actually made the cut.

If none of them are, or are just as poorly implemented as previous attempts, I'm certainly withdrawing myself from the community and testing pool for SI.

Maybe you could challenge Miles to a dual instead CP, if you win SI have to promise to implement the ideas into FM11! :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

3. A simple "Achievements" screen

Achievements that show what you did and who you did it with (i.e. "Won 3 Champions Cups with Manchester City") and those achievements are referred too in other sections of the game. There is currently some limited parts of this, again it's something that I think could be expanded quite a bit. Press conferences before a final with the media asking "Are you looking forward to winning the 4th Champions cup of your career?" etc.

This!

I agree with everything you said but i've been asking for this particular feature for years, i mean how hard would it be to implement? I hate having to scroll through hundreds of entries to see your real achievements amongst entries like 'knocked out in FA Cup fourth round'..

They should also do this for players achievements too.

Top ideas, CaptainPlanet.

Remember people, there are only so many days of development and if SI added all these features at once who would want to buy the next version? Incremental updates are the name of the game to keep developers and publishers in business. Sad but true.

The thread has been tagged as a FM suggestion (http://www.community.sigames.com/tags.php?tag=fm-suggestion), so you can be sure that SI are aware of this thread.

However, this thread was made in March, and the features are generally decided around new year - possibly earlier - so unless any of these were already planned I wouldn't think they'd make FM10.

Archived