Returning to Face Former Club

Ha, it's not what you think, well it is a bit but not your usual moan.

We've all heard about problem with being asked about former players playing against you, but how come we never get asked about returning to our old clubs. I'm in 2017 and i've just committed treason by accepting a job with bottom of the table VFB Stuttgart in Germany, despite managing rivals FC Bayern for 6 years at the start of my career.

My first game in charge is a cup tie against my former club and all I got was the same old rubbish about how I thought my team would do. Do Bayern not care? Are Stuttgart not talking up this clash? It's all a bit disappointing as I was expecting death threats and eggs flying at the team bus.

Would be a nice inclusion, would also be good if we got asked about players we signed playing aginst their former teams, we could stir it up and cause a fuss.

Originally posted by ralphieconq:

I agree with all of this and thought exactly the same thing about the manager thing considering I left Real Madrid to go to Barcelona and there was no news storys!

That's another thing, there was nothing said in the press when I took the job. Something along the lines of "FC Bayern fans were left stunned when their former manager .... took charge of fierce rivals VFB Stuttgart today". Nothing over the top, but at least mention it.

Originally posted by glamdring:

Aye, there's very little done with regards to the manager in such circumstances. On the note of players, why is it always the crap players who they pick out time and time again to ask about too? icon_razz.gif

icon_biggrin.gif It's usually older players with me. I let Ismael go when he was 33 to Dortmund and got asked about him for the next 2 season every time. The problem is the options available didn't let me say "he was a great serveant, but he wanted first team football and I couldn't guarantee it", in other words he wasn't good enough, but I do have a lot of time for him.

I'd like to see more "intelligent" media controversy and much less repetition. In my ongoing game I'm constantly annoyed by questions on former players. Some links date back more than a decade; it's hardly of any relevance to anyone.

I hope the media element gets a total overhaul for FM09 because it's currently one of the weakest aspects of the game.

Would be great to see more media hype around managers playing their former clubs or even clubs they named as favorite clubs.

I would also like to see a field added for managers birth town, then if you come up against your birth town club too there would be some media hype to recognize the sentiment.

I was honestly and genuinly excited by the prospect of this being implemented into FM2008 after I got my first news item that Heffernen was set to face his former club. So I like everyone else on the thread was disappointed when I took over at Leeds and returned to Keepmoat and not a shred of news!

I hope its in 2009, can actually be useful as well as aesthetic, to fire up your players, especially if you're rival clubs.

Originally posted by GazTheDoood:

I would also like to see more interaction when playing former clubs, favourite clubs, and also less interactin when facing former players.

Yes, it was a bit strange when I attended the Northern Ireland - Spain game and the media said they had no idea why I had been at the match, even though i'm Northern Irish icon_confused.gif

Archived