W-M Discussion Thread. An attempt to recreate the historical formation.

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No I do not man mark. I have been watching the matches in 3d extended and you will be surprised how much cover you have got especially from the DMC's. Also use the OI, I always use both tight marking and closing down together and also I use hard tackling and show to weaker foot. Also take notice of how your opposition shape up. If they play 4-4-1-1 then push up your d-line and this stops the ST and AMC from playing because they have not got any space to work in, same as 4-2-3-1, with this formation I would also push up and use the OI to tight mark and close down and show to weaker foot and hard tackling on the 2 wingers and AMC and ST. Although you have the tactic you still have to tweak it to suit your players.

No I do not man mark. I have been watching the matches in 3d extended and you will be surprised how much cover you have got especially from the DMC's. Also use the OI, I always use both tight marking and closing down together and also I use hard tackling and show to weaker foot. Also take notice of how your opposition shape up. If they play 4-4-1-1 then push up your d-line and this stops the ST and AMC from playing because they have not got any space to work in, same as 4-2-3-1, with this formation I would also push up and use the OI to tight mark and close down and show to weaker foot and hard tackling on the 2 wingers and AMC and ST. Although you have the tactic you still have to tweak it to suit your players.

Hmm pushing up my D-line would mean first notch of push up would be ok? do u use OI for the Central midfielders?

If you feel the midfielders are a threat then you can do. If you were playing Portsmouth for instance then knowing you had Peter Crouch upfront then I would tight mark and close down together and use hard tackling and show onto weaker foot, but because of his height you would also mark the wingers as well to stop them getting crosses in. With the d-line and pushing up try it and watch the game and if it seems like they are coming over the top then move it back a little, it is all trial and error really. Mag man told me his settings and when I tried them my Arsenal players did not like them, so I had to change accordingly. I found that when trying new tactics it can take up to 10 matches to get your team gel.

hi mag man!can u give link for this tac?i wanna test this!!pls!!tnx!im w8ing!!

If you read my first post there is no tactic link, its a discussion. I wanted people to try this for themselves and talk about how there doing.

:thup: to higgins, RossoneriGunner, Jazzfusion, Intercept and anyone I have missed. Also big thanks to Cleon for his initial input and getting me into this.

I have had a great time making this tactic and discussing it with other members and when it works it makes it all worth while.

I feel its so much better making your own, you also get it playing the way you understand it rather than someone else's. We have all had different ideas and I know I have changed some of mine reading other peoples.

Is anyone having any success in keeping clean sheets? i cant seem to keep clean sheets for a number of games

I get a lot of results like 3-1, 4-1 etc. I would rather keep a clean sheet but its not to bad if you score a lot.

At home I am keeping lots of clean sheets.

Nice one :D

mag man - please could you look at http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=111069 to see if you can possibly share some of your findings that may help me with dominating possession, home and away.

At the moment I am so busy, I might be able to look on Saturday. Slow tempo and short passing should keep more possession. In my team I have amazing passers of the ball and with the magic square I dominate the midfield, hence high possession.

The thing i wanna know is do u man mark players when ure up against teams like barce man utd liverpool etc. I feel that the uber quick players will just exploit the space behind the DC and John terry isnt someone whos a speeder :(

No man marking, my players mark a space. I actually dont see that many 1on1 against me. The midfield are so strong teams resort to long balls which Terry will win all day long.

I dont tweak much, if I am not scoring I will get some players to run forward more but other than that I leave the rest the same. I dont use OI because I dont like them but they can be beneficial.

i dont understand!can u put the tactic into a link for download pls?

I said before a discussion. I will however write a more detailed post either this Saturday or the following week.

Hmm pushing up my D-line would mean first notch of push up would be ok? do u use OI for the Central midfielders?

I use deep to normal, everytime I go to push up I concede so dont do it. May work differently for you, you should try it. I dont use OI but again if they work for you then use them.

Beri this is more a discussion thread than a quick fix for your team.

Indeed it is.

If you feel the midfielders are a threat then you can do. If you were playing Portsmouth for instance then knowing you had Peter Crouch upfront then I would tight mark and close down together and use hard tackling and show onto weaker foot, but because of his height you would also mark the wingers as well to stop them getting crosses in. With the d-line and pushing up try it and watch the game and if it seems like they are coming over the top then move it back a little, it is all trial and error really. Mag man told me his settings and when I tried them my Arsenal players did not like them, so I had to change accordingly. I found that when trying new tactics it can take up to 10 matches to get your team gel.

Your spot on, it depends on your players and how you want them to play the game. Arsenal are a lot less physical than Chelsea so probably need different settings. You also have quicker CB's so can push up more than I can with JT.

Wow what a lot of replies. I just want to add, I play a simple version of the game. Some people may have seen my post in crouchaldinho's thread. I give my players settings of low middle or high and dont bother with in-betweens.

If you havent read all of this, I will be writing a proper update of my findings once i finish my season, no time with work though. Will probably be on saturday.

Is it possible to play a one touch short passing game for the WM?

If you play short passing high tempo you get loads of quick short passes. There is a lot of one touch stuff but its not an instruction you can give.

Great job Rossoneri.

I'm having trouble defending in my Bristol City game, my full backs seem to get pulled out of position a lot which leaves the opposition with a free man in tons of space on the right/left, so I've dropped their closing down a few notches and I've put my FL/R on tight marking in the hope they'll track back a bit. Hopefully I don't sacrifice too much up front.

Thanks Jazzy, take a look at your defenders and see if they are taking the throw ins, mine were originally and I found that if I got a throw in by their corner flag my defenders were taking the throw's so now I have my defenders on stay back and I have got my DMC's taking the throw's.

DefenderSettings.jpg

Something else I have noticed, since playing WM formation, ALL my players have what I call the 'Green Light', that is the green dot is bright green so they are all playing in their proper positions. When I was using other formations 442, 424, 4231, I probably had between 3-5 players with a dull green dot. Anyone else noticed this?

Something else I have noticed, since playing WM formation, ALL my players have what I call the 'Green Light', that is the green dot is bright green so they are all playing in their proper positions. When I was using other formations 442, 424, 4231, I probably had between 3-5 players with a dull green dot. Anyone else noticed this?

The dark green means there good in that position but not quite natural.

Just noticed that 3 of my players occupy the first 3 Pass Completion % slots in the league :D My FR also has top assists! I'm top of the league by 5 points, away game at Brum next, so a nice test for the team.

Who are you playing with again? I guess in the Championship defenders are not as good so probably why you are conceeding odd goals and so to be that clear top is good.

My DMC always dominate the pass completion %. I also have FR with most assists as the FR puts in a lot of crosses to the FL.

Nice one Jazzy, shame about the Birmingham, but although you lost I would take heart that you scored 4 against a premeirship rated side and how many other teams have scored 4 against them, we're getting there mate. Take a look at my defender settings. My DMC's are set almost identical except they are set with through balls often. This may sound strange but I have Veloso set as playmeker..his passing is 18... and HUB, the other DMC is Yaya Toure, and Veloso has 3 goals, 1 assist, 2 MoM and an average rating of 7.49 in 6 matches, and Yaya Toure in 7 appearances has 1 goal, 4 assists, and average ratings 7.40 so though they are DMC's, I still find them outside my opponents box and help a lot in attack, and then they are back in defence when needed.

The dark green means there good in that position but not quite natural.

Hi Mag man, yes with the green dots I know that the dark ones are accomplished but with the bright green dots it means they should be playing 100% as to 85 to 90% on the dark green dot and that extra 10% is a lot.

Hi Mag man, yes with the green dots I know that the dark ones are accomplished but with the bright green dots it means they should be playing 100% as to 85 to 90% on the dark green dot and that extra 10% is a lot.

When I play Quaresma at FL he has a red dot but still does a great job, the position is suited to him but just because its on the FL spot rather than AML its red.

Unfortunately none of my DMs are good enough to become my playmaker :(

I have used a bad DMC as playmaker before, your team looks to pass to him whenever they can so just use your best passer as he will get the ball a lot.

Thanks mag man, how's your season going so far?

I havent played since last weekend, I started a new job and dont have time during the week anymore. Will finish the season Saturday but I reckon going be another top 2 finish.

I am really intrigued by this formation. I know nothing about it, being an American novice to the sport. Something about this just seems appealing. So . . . balanced, so . . . controlling, so . . . beautiful!

I'm going to print out some history on it for reading later. I'd like to make a request, though. Since I know practically nothing about the sport, I'm going to need a lot of practice learning how to properly implement these things. I hope the Arsenal guy can get a DL setup so I have a base. Then I'll use the thread to ask you guys questions as I go. The request is this: can one post in this thread (probably the original) be edited to include the latest updates? I simply do not have time and internet availability to read this thread through so much. It would be a great help to me.

I think I've seen stated where the tactic should work, with the right adjustments, at any level of play. Will it work international? I want to see if Team USA can pull this off.

I am really intrigued by this formation. I know nothing about it, being an American novice to the sport. Something about this just seems appealing. So . . . balanced, so . . . controlling, so . . . beautiful!

I'm going to print out some history on it for reading later. I'd like to make a request, though. Since I know practically nothing about the sport, I'm going to need a lot of practice learning how to properly implement these things. I hope the Arsenal guy can get a DL setup so I have a base. Then I'll use the thread to ask you guys questions as I go. The request is this: can one post in this thread (probably the original) be edited to include the latest updates? I simply do not have time and internet availability to read this thread through so much. It would be a great help to me.

I think I've seen stated where the tactic should work, with the right adjustments, at any level of play. Will it work international? I want to see if Team USA can pull this off.

I will update the initial post but not got time until Saturday.

If you want a good place to start and get an understanding best off to start with a top team. Chelsea/Arsenal/Man U/Liverpool. Once you have a good start then can adapt it to other teams. Jazzfusion is having success with this at a much lower level.

The best place to start is just with basics. Then slowly change things to suit the way you want to play.

Hi Jazzy, I said that to mag man once and this was his reply:

'At the moment all on tight zonal marking. I havent got to tweaking that but I will probably loosen up attacking players. I dont want defenders to man mark because then FB's wont come in to cover or DC will mark one player. I find they provide good marking over the entire back line on zonal'

So Jazzy I have always kept my defenders on zonal and tight. My DMC's are also on zonal and tight, where my AMC's, wingers and ST are on zonal and loose (NOT tight).

Hi Manager23, I have just played Celtic in group stage CL and I put my wingers on FWD Runs to rarely and they were not that impressive and although they were playing as wingers they seemed to hang around the corner of the 18yrd box. Although we 3-0 up at half-time and eventually won 4-0, I put them back to their usual Fwd Runs after half-time and they semed to be back to normal which is getting to the byline and putting crosses in. I even put the width to normal and not wide. So I think I will leave them where they were, but I have Walcott and Arshavin/Vela as wingers, so your players will react differently.

Hi AC, the only time I change my d-line is if my opponents (AI) change formation. If say the AI play 4-4-1-1 or 4-2-3-1 then I will set my d-line to push up around 16 on slider as this limits the ST and AMC's and cuts down their space to work in and with my DMC's breathing down their necks it also causes them to rush their passes and give away possession. If the AI changes to 4-4-2 then I would change back to around 3-4 on the slider, but I will not change my d-line unecessarily. Hope this helps, also take a look back at one of my posts and I have posted a screenshot of how my DL/R are set up. But I am afraid it is all trial and error. Mag man told me how some of his player settings were set up and when I tried them it did not suit my Arsenal team.

Mikcheck here are my team instructions...which to be honest will not mean much because they are rarely static.The mentality, Creative Freedom, Closing Down, Passing and Tackling never move because they are set up in the individual players settings. Defensive line changes depending on what formation my opponents play. Focus Passing also changes depending on how my opponents are playing

AFCteaminstructions.jpg

thanks for that. Do you still using arrow in amc position ? Have you already tried to barrow them ?

No I do not use arrows as these were not...as everyone thought...there to tell players where to run, they were there to tell a player where you wanted them to be a) When you were in possession and b) and when you were not in possession, so your players were acting as robots. Now 9.3 is using what they are calling the arrowless match engine and the creative freedom slider is now used to control your players runs.

Archived