W-M Discussion Thread. An attempt to recreate the historical formation.

This is a query I PM'd to PaulC from SI

Originally Posted by RossoneriGunner

Hi Paul, I PM'd you because I think you can help me as a member of the SI team. What takes priority in the match engine. 1. PPM's, 2. Players Individual Instruction. 3. Touchline Shouts. As you know I have been having trouble keeping my full backs at bay. Then Joor came up with what might be the solution...Sagna has his PPM's as Run With Ball Down Right and Gets Forward Whenever Possible. So which settings take priority.

Many Thanks

And this is Pauls reply.

PPM's. Although if a player has a PPM of shoot often, and you tell him to shoot rarely, he'll take the middle ground. Where a PPM has a matching PII think of it as an offset on the PII.

Touchline shouts affect PII's anyway ( as long as you havent changed the PII in classic mode ) so they are also subservient to certain PPM's.

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As we are attacking the bottom of the screen, then surely Hoyte who is not far from my opponents penalty box, should not be there if his settings are on 1 with No runs forward with or without the ball. Its a bit like me having my ST on all out attack with stay forward etc and then find him back in his own penalty defending. Perhaps I have got it all totally wrong.

I always think forward runs allows the fullbacks to overlap the wingers, yours has come into a position to receive the ball and I wouldnt say it was very attacking. Do you get get caught out on the break because they have moved to there?

Do you use two defensive DMC's?

Hello everyone.

I'm working on a W-M formation, too.

Was playing one on FM09, just never got to write in this thread.

Regarding the FB issue, it really depends on how you want your team to play:

1) Do you want you fullbacks to take part in the attack, while your DMC's are staying a bit further down the field? This allows for a lot of width in your tactic, and at the same time your wingers (AMR/L or FR/L) will have the option to cut inside the field, adding some extra threads in the oppositions box.

2) Or do you want your fullbacks staying at home, while your DMC's are taking part in the attack? This will narrow your play to the middle of the field, which means that your wingers should preferably stay out wide, while your AMC's are the ones who should add extra threads in the oppositions box.

From what I've noticed so far, it's possible to play in both ways. However I prefer option 1 as I think it gives you the most options while attacking. I do admit, however, that your defence will be a bit exploitable at times down the flanks.

If you prefer option 2, the only way I've managed to play like that is drawing your DR and DL into the DRC and DLC spots. This works nicely defensively, as you can get your DMC's to close down the ball if it's on the flank, and once the opposing winger gets further down the field, your DRC or DLC will take over, and hunt down the winger.

To sum up, we have two options lining up, depending on how you want your team to play:

1)

FL------FC------FR

---AMC----AMC---

---DMC----DMC---

DL------DC------DR

or

2)

FL------FC------FR

---AMC----AMC---

---DMC----DMC---

--DLC--DC--DRC--

Welcome NozEE, yes I prefer to have my 'FB's' staying back, but I dont know if you have seen any of my other posts regarding my FB's further up the pitch than my wingers, then you will know I have been having a problem. But I have just experimented by bringing Clichy and Eboue as DCL and DCR and they have stayed well back and have not ventured over the halfway line. I also remember mag_man saying to try this, but to be honest I was sceptical especially as the PPM's dictate what the player does over what you tell him to do. So why does he not make runs as a DC but does when set as a FB?. Perhaps I am being thick.

Yeah I've seen them, and to be honest, I have no idea why you're having this problem.

I'm using Inter to test the tactic out, and I'm playing Chivu and Maicon in the FB spots. Chivu has "gets forward whenever possible" and Maicon has "runs with ball down right", but neither of them seem to be as high up the pitch as in your screenshots.

What are you're precise instructions for them?

Well I experimented with settings as well and believe it or not in those pictures their settings were Mentality 1, CF 1, NO runs with or without ball, stay back at all times, d-line of 1 and anything else that would hold them back apart from tying them to the goalposts.

That's really, really weird then.

Having done a bit more testing, I'm tempted to state that the version with the DRC and DLC is the better due to the fact that the FB's are being drawn too far away from the middle if set to DR and DL, unfortunately.

My team is currently doing OK, but my main concern is that we're not playing the type of football I want.

With potentially 9 players joining in on the attack and more often than not only 5 defending, I want to play a possession focused and aggressively type of football, but at the moment I rarely exceed 50% possession, and most of our chances come from contras.

Does anyone have the same issues?

One thing I've noticed is that we're having way too many long shots which have no realistic chance of getting in, so I'll try lowering everyone's long shot for a while to hopefully give us a bit more possession.

Now that a new version of FM has come out (well atleast almost!), I think it'll be a good idea to start from scratch and figuring out the best way to set up a W-M formation on the new engine.

I think the best way to start is by going through the various positions, and thinking about how we want the players to to play and then dicuss how to set it up in the game.

I'll start the discussion, and hopefully someone else will give their input :)

General playing style

The W-M is a fairly offensive formation by todays standards and this is what we want to reflect ingame.

This means that we will be looking to play a possession/control style, preferable with some high pressure and a quick passing game.

Settings ingame:

Width: We have access to wings and they're one of our main weapons of choice, which means that we will be looking to get the ball out wide but not too much though, as we also have 4 central players who should take part in the play. Suggested width: 13-15

Tempo: As mentioned, we want to play the ball around pretty quickly to make holes in the opposition's defence, as we can attack from vairous positions. Suggested tempo: 14-17

Time wasting: Almost the opposite of tempo. This is something that could and should be adjusted during the matches. Suggested time wasting: 4-8

Defensive line: This is a tricky one. It really depends on some other things. Do we play the offside trap? If so, a higher defensive line is probably preferable. If not, it might be lower. As of right now, I'm not quite sure what to do with this. Suggested defensive line: Depends/need input

I don't have much time on my hands right now, so I'll probably go through the positions tomorrow :)

Good start NozEE, I know mag_man has probably gone to the Chelsea - Blackburn game so he will either be on later or possibly we wont see him till tomorrow. Anyway I have started by transferring my 09 settings to FM10 and at the moment this is going to be my starter settings.

Good start NozEE, I know mag_man has probably gone to the Chelsea - Blackburn game so he will either be on later or possibly we wont see him till tomorrow. Anyway I have started by transferring my 09 settings to FM10 and at the moment this is going to be my starter settings.

Didn't go to the game but went to my girlfriends for the weekend so no FM for me. I will try and play a few hours tonight but I am really short of time at the moment. Hopefully come next weekend I can really play a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I would dig this back up as I am currently trying to play a WM with FC Koln. Some mixed results but in my 2nd season I am currently 4th with around 10 games gone.

A few of you seem to be experimenting with pushing your full backs into left and right sided central defenders, I too have fiddled with this in response to the ball being knocked into the channels against me so often. I have to say that I think the experiment is doomed to failure. By moving the full back inside you remove the sideways pass option from the defensive midfield players which is actually pretty key to the formations fundamental plan of retaining a high percentage possession. What you are left with is the drc and dlc still being dragged out of the centre when you defend, as they have no wing back to protect the flank, and less passing options for your side when in attack. (I've tried giving the drc and dlc 'run from deep often' option to get them involved in the midfield interchange but it has pretty disastrous defensive results)

In short I think we may have to live with the full backs not really behaving exactly as we would wish in a WM on 2010. The best we can do is make sure that whoever we play has appropriate ppms. Converting centre backs to full backs and asking them to keep it simple is an approach I am currently taking. Something else I have noticed is that playing players with their wrong foot in this position can help you get the ball to the magic square more. If you have a right footed player at right back, he will try and knock it down the line to the right winger on a good few occasions no matter how short you have set his passing. If you play a left footed player there they are much more likely to look in field and roll the pass to your DM. The only problem I have with this is that I am not sure that there are not defensive penalties of wingers going on the outside of your wrong foot, IRL some people find it difficult to tackle with their left and wonder if this is represented in the game.

Another experiment I have been trying is converting the square into a parallelogram. The positions remain 2 dmc and 2amc, but on the left hand side I have a purely destroying midfield player behind a supporting Advanced playmaker, where as on the right I have a deep lying playmaker behind an attacking midfield player. I have changed the mentality setting so that these players have close mentality settings and the am is the same distance from the dm on both sides, but those on the right are slightly further forward. The basic idea behind this is that I wanted a little bit more fluidity in the system and a little bit more support for my target man. I felt I couldn't have the attacking midfield player with forward runs, without one of the DM stepping forward to offer a sideways option to support him.

Anyone else fiddling around with a WM? Any ideas as to the best way to adapt it to the 2010 ME.

I've started a lower-league save where I'm intending to play only WM formations for the whole career, see where it takes me. My manager is a Hungarian (of course!) and I started out at Eintracht Braunschweig in German Third Division, I also have lowest French and Italian leagues playable.

This is my v1 WM formation, created with the tactical wizard with minimal tweaks:

GK: Goalkeeper - Defend

DL/DR: Full Back - Defend

DC: Defender - Cover *

DMC (left: Anchor Man - Defend *

DMC (right): Defensive Midfielder - Support

AMC (left): Advanced Midfielder - Attack

AMC (right): Advanced Midfielder - Support

FL: Winger - Support

FR: Winger - Support

FC: Target Man - Attack

* = Only advance tactics change I made - set mentality three notches from left. Very defensive minded players to sort out the defensive as early on I was leaking goals if the DC messed up an interception or tackle.

Otherwise I have overall fluid strategy with direct passing and little creative freedom.

Took a wee while for my squad to settle in the formation but they've finally started to play. I leak very very few goals and most of the time I will control the midfield. I sometimes struggle to score but this actually got better when I switched the outside strikers from Attack to Support duties. Scoring 1-3 goals per games now.

At work now, but I'll post some screenshots at a later point I think :)

Well it seems to work alright but I don't win every game mind you, every so often I get hammered by some random team... Not really figured out why yet.

Also, mind that my opposition is a mixture of slow dinosaurs and rubbish youngster in the German Third Division ;) But then again so is my team!

Formation:

2wnd5i8.jpg

Team Instructions:

219q3o7.jpg

• 2 years later...

Archived