What leagues would you like to see added in the future

I know a few people (not sport fans) who call every team like the New York Yankees. If I hear the words "Reading Royals" or "Arsenal Gunners/Gooners" once more...

Oh well . . .

Manchester United isn't a nick name, it's firstly a way of telling them apart from City, and secondly saying that when the team was formed, it made Manchester "United" (except for City). Leeds or Newcastle would be better examples...

I love the history regarding the team as well but I'm afraid it's still a nickname (united). Nice try though . . .

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That is true. Are you saying it's not a nickname? I hear people call them "Real" all the time.

Also, why are you translating it? No one questioned it . . .

No its not a nickname. The actuel name is Madrid Royal Football Club,dosnt the badge have the crown on it? I dont believe Real is a nickname,its just there way of sayin Royal. Los Blancos, Los Merengues are the nicknames and they translate into,The Whites and the The Jambs so really there nickname is The Whites, not the Royal or the Royalists or whatever.

No its not a nickname. The actuel name is Madrid Royal Football Club,dosnt the badge have the crown on it? I dont believe Real is a nickname,its just there way of sayin Royal. Los Blancos, Los Merengues are the nicknames and they translate into,The Whites and the The Jambs so really there nickname is The Whites, not the Royal or the Royalists or whatever.

Think about what you're saying. If I refer to them as real, united, or yankees then that's a nickname. Do you understand? It's a shorter way of referring to those teams. If you read Wiki or something else then they won't state it as an "official" nickname recognized by the club. However, the discussion we are having is why teams add say "united" or "yankees" or "real" to names when they are supposed to just represent a city for that particular club. The official name of the New York Yankees is "New York Yankees." That would be no different than "Real Madrid Club de Fútbol" or "Manchester United Football Club" since nothing could be technically categorized as a particular nickname. We don't call them by those names though . . .

If someone said real, united, or yankees and you don't know who they are referring to then I can't help you. When people are discussing football and they say real, I don't think of the queen. If they say united, I don't think of Newcastle. If they say yankees, I actually think of Americans. LoL! I'm sure you get the point though . . .

By the way, it may be all different in another language. I'm referring to these teams in English terms. If you are the play by play announcer for Real, you aren't going to say, "we have Royal Madrid at new field (Camp Nou) for today's game." No one refers to these teams or stadiums in that way . . .

I think that maltese football teams in FM09 although they can be viewed and also one can buy players should be playable as a league as there are other playable leagues such as Indonesia,India and other places round the globe.

I also think that you should be able to manage them aswell which i think would give alot more versatlility.

Does anyone see if it is a good idea, beacause I am a Maltese fan of this game and it would be really nice if i can also play with my favourite team in the Maltese League.

:D

There are fans of lots of countries who would probably like to see their domestic leagues become playable. I'm not sure why SI should prioritise Malta, and I doubt they would.

As it is, there is a rather large thread on this matter. It would seem, disappointingly, that SI have no plans to add new playable leagues in the near future. But when they do, I'd be surprised if Malta got in ahead of a number of African leagues and even some of the remaining Eastern European ones.

I loved the year FM added the Icelandic division but if you play in the Icelandic Divisions for 10+ years it gets really boring being a 10 Times champion and still a Semi-Professional team :/

I'm going to be honest and say I've never played any other divisions than England - Italy- Spain- Iceland and Russia.

I always get fed up of waiting for a player to finish his loan contract at another team before he comes to my team. Maybe in the future versions of FM there will be an opportunity to offer the loan club some money to terminate the players loan contract early.

I always get fed up of waiting for a player to finish his loan contract at another team before he comes to my team. Maybe in the future versions of FM there will be an opportunity to offer the loan club some money to terminate the players loan contract early.

Wrong thread, but you only have to wait for the loan to end if there is no recall clause in the loan deal. If the loan deal does have a recall clause, the transfer should happen immediately (if inside a transfer window).

• 1 month later...

"No more small teams" huh ? :-D

With the new CONCACAF Champions League debuting this year, and many surprise outfits doing just great in the qualifying round, I think now would be a good time to try and expand the northern american database a little bit ^^

The Canadians now have a proper domestic league going (and a separate championship for their big three), the continental competitions are starting to actually look good ... football's gone a step up over there :-)

If you don't believe me, switch to Fox Soccer Channel ! I'm watching the game between New England Revs and Joe Public (from Trinidad & Tobago) right now. The triniteans have a 2 goals lead (away !) and are now leading 4-1 on aggregate.

Football in the CONCACAF is no longer just about the US and Mexico :-) teams from Panama, Costa Rica and such are also achieving big results !

I know it's difficult to actually get good info and complete databases for those countries, but if you can get the scouts and licenses for Malaysia, there must be a way to do something about Costa Rica, T&T or Jamaica...

Us Canadians and Americans know we're on a British forum and all, but we can't help calling 'football' soccer. We were grown up calling the sport 'soccer'.:)

i get weird looks at school and around town cause here in australia and from talking to european people etc. i call it FOOTBALL.

We were grown up calling the sport 'soccer'.:)

I'm guessing you weren't brought up speaking English though huh? ;)

Just taking the p**s mate! No offence!

i get weird looks at school and around town cause here in australia and from talking to european people etc. i call it FOOTBALL.

I know what you mean mate, being brought up by an Italian father and an English mother I've always called the great game football, but some stupid reason Australians called that aerial ping-pong game football, sacrilege!!

Dear Miles (if this gets to you lol)

I have long been an fan of the football manager series, even in its days as championship manager... i even bought champ man italia.

However for the past 3 years ive emailed and put into forums of the addition for a cypriot league, The cypriot nation is rising in football stature. especially on the international level including a 5-2 drubbing of ROI and a draw with Germany. Also Anorthosi Famagusta made the uefa cup proper! Plus this year Anorthosi are in teh Champions Cup proper while Apoel and Omonia are in the Uefa cup proper. I therefore see no reason why not to add this league when lower leagues such as slovenia, slovakia, egypt, korea, china, polish, japan, welsh, irish, belgium, Indonesia, India, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Peru and im sure more to mention if i was to open a new game now.

What i propose is to allow me and my cousin the chance to scout these leagues for you. We are very serious about this offer and would very much like the chance to talk to Miles regarding this posibility. We would take it very seriously. including going to training sessions, press conferences, attending matches, and much more needed to scout these leagues for you.

Please do not discard this email as i am very serious after talking to my cousin about this option.

Many thanks

Michael Droushiotis

I have long been an fan of the football manager series, even in its days as championship manager... i even bought champ man italia.

However for the past 3 years ive emailed and put into forums of the addition for a cypriot league, The cypriot nation is rising in football stature. especially on the international level including a 5-2 drubbing of ROI and a draw with Germany. Also Anorthosi Famagusta made the uefa cup proper! Plus this year Anorthosi are in teh Champions Cup proper while Apoel and Omonia are in the Uefa cup proper. I therefore see no reason why not to add this league when lower leagues such as slovenia, slovakia, egypt, korea, china, polish, japan, welsh, irish, belgium, Indonesia, India, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Peru and im sure more to mention if i was to open a new game now.

What i propose is to allow me and my cousin the chance to scout these leagues for you. We are very serious about this offer and would very much like the chance to talk to Miles regarding this posibility. We would take it very seriously. including going to training sessions, press conferences, attending matches, and much more needed to scout these leagues for you.

Please do not discard this email as i am very serious after talking to my cousin about this option.

Many thanks

Michael Droushiotis

Good luck to you, though don't expect SI to pay your expenses ;). I do agree that the Cypriot league would be a welcome addition to the Football Manager family. Hey when I get posted out there next April, I might even give you a hand.

Since this thread is taking about new leagues, might I recommend...

the United Soccer Leagues

All the players are already in the database. All that's left is making the league playable.:)

So please SI, make USL playable in FM09.:)

this may sound stupid but...

is the USL the second division of MLS??

I agree with you in the sense that Cyprus is a growing league that should be featured, however:

[...] belgium [...]

Really? I think there's a little bias there. :) Standard Liege, Royal Antwerp, Anderlecht, Cercle Brugge... ;)

The Japanese and Koreans might also take umbridge. :D

Good luck with the project though, and I hope you get somewhere with it.

I always manage in Belgium its cool because you can buy every non eu player in the world the only thing that bugs me is that the league reputation isn't flexible. Even if I win ten times the champions league in a row with Standard Liege no good player will come to my team(is this fixed in fm09?).

I always manage in Belgium its cool because you can buy every non eu player in the world the only thing that bugs me is that the league reputation isn't flexible. Even if I win ten times the champions league in a row with Standard Liege no good player will come to my team(is this fixed in fm09?).

How can one win the Champions League with a Belgian team if 'no good player will come to your team'????

Let alone 10 times in a row!

Many thanks

Michael Droushiotis

I agree that Cyprus should be in the game but some of the leagues you mentioned are not either (Egypt and Japan). Also the leagues you mentioned as lower, some of them are certainly not. Certainly Belgium, Korea and Poland are not lower, they are higher. There are also others that I would consider equal to Cyprus especially Ireland (maybe biased because I'm Irish ;)).

Credit to you for being willing to research the Cypriot league, though. :thup:

I therefore see no reason why not to add this league when lower leagues such as slovenia, slovakia, egypt, korea, china, polish, japan, welsh, irish, belgium, Indonesia, India, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Peru and im sure more to mention if i was to open a new game now.

Of those leagues you mentioned only Indonesia, India, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Wales and Ireland are leagues of lower quality than the Cypriot one.

The J-League, but i doubt its gonna happen in the near future as i think another game has the licences.

Apparently Konami do (I think)

Sorry for being a bit ignorant about this, but can this be worked around? Calling the league/clubs another (similar) name or something?

How about the cypriot league. I have sed in many posts that sigames needs to add this league in.. if we are going on how good the nation is. Cypriot teams are now becoming known throughout europe.. especially this season as we have a team in the champions league proper and two in the uefa cup. Also on the international scene we have beaten the rep of ireland (5-2.. thank you).. holding germany 2 a draw, and nearly qualifying for the euro's.

also to everyone who wants italy serie D and those nations who wants the 4th 5th and 6th tiers in.. why stop there lets add english sunday league, and eglish secondary schools... hell why not get them while there young and get some under 6 teams!

cumon people.. lets get realistic!

Archived