What leagues would you like to see added in the future

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As Mike already said, SI have said in the past that they're unlikely to add more leagues in the future. Not many people are playing in the lesser leagues, so it barely seems worth it I suppose.

As Mike already said, SI have said in the past that they're unlikely to add more leagues in the future. Not many people are playing in the lesser leagues, so it barely seems worth it I suppose.

I'd put money that more people would play the Cypriot league than the Indian or Singapore league.

I'm not disputing you, but based on what?

How many people do you hear talking about Indian or Singaporean Football around here?

My Anorthosis Famagusta thread got some attention when the Champions League was on. Plus, you still hear the odd mention of Cypriot Football around this board, which you don't hear for Indian or Singaporean.

How many people do you hear talking about Indian or Singaporean Football around here?

My Anorthosis Famagusta thread got some attention when the Champions League was on. Plus, you still here the odd mention of Cypriot Football around this board, which you don't hear for Indian or Singaporean.

Not a particularly scientific basis, tbh, when you consider that Sega are likely to have carried out actual research on the matter.

Not a particularly scientific basis, tbh, when you consider that Sega are likely to have carried out actual research on the matter.

How are Sega going to go and ask everyone who has FM whether they would play the Cypriot league or not? Pardon my ignorance.

Either way, if Anorthosis Famagusta made the knockout stages (something they DESERVED more than the others), or if Anorthosis Famagusta make the Champions League next year, then it would be downright insulting not to have the Cypriot league included.

I wasn't disputing that. Just the areas i quoted.

Yes, no one will deny that the Indian and Singaporean is big, but to have the Serbian, Finnish and Icelandic leagues, and not to include the Cypriot league, when Cyprus regularly have teams strongly contending for Champions League qualification, and last season, a team who nearly beat Inter and Werder Bremen, is just downright insulting.

How are Sega going to go and ask everyone who has FM whether they would play the Cypriot league or not? Pardon my ignorance.

Either way, if Anorthosis Famagusta made the knockout stages (something they DESERVED more than the others), or if Anorthosis Famagusta make the Champions League next year, then it would be downright insulting not to have the Cypriot league included.

I'm sorry, I don't buy your argument at all, and you're contradicting yourself. On the one hand, you think it's perfectly OK to believe that the Cypriot league should be in the game (over the Indian or Singaporean leagues) based on little more than reading a couple of threads on a forum. On the other hand, because Sega couldn't possibly have asked every FM player whether they want the Cypriot league or not, you think their research doesn't stand up. Eh? Explain that one.

Sorry, but I don't agree it's insulting not to include a league who, let's face it, don't have much impressive history to talk of.

I'm sorry, I don't buy your argument at all, and you're contradicting yourself. On the one hand, you think it's perfectly OK to believe that the Cypriot league should be in the game (over the Indian or Singaporean leagues) based on little more than reading a couple of threads on a forum. On the other hand, because Sega couldn't possibly have asked every FM player whether they want the Cypriot league or not, you think their research doesn't stand up. Eh? Explain that one.

Sorry, but I don't agree it's insulting not to include a league who, let's face it, don't have much impressive history to talk of.

I was just giving an example to you.

Look, simply put, do YOU think that the Cypriot League deserves to be in when you consider some of the other leagues in the game?

With Cyprus the lack of footballing history has quite a bit to do with the political history. The domestic league has only really taken off again in the last 15 years or so, and even still the majority of football fans support foreign, mostly English infact, teams as well. Particularly Manchester United. The growth of the domestic league I think too has something to do with the ownership structure of the teams. I know that the fans are very involved in the ownership of Anorthosis for a start. A few months ago I had to turn down tickets to a game I was offered by one of the many 'owners'. :(

You should've seen the celebrations in the South when Greece won EURO 2004 though! :D

I was just giving an example to you.

Look, simply put, do YOU think that the Cypriot League deserves to be in when you consider some of the other leagues in the game?

No. I simply don't think there's any demand to justify it. Ultimately, though, it's not my opinion that counts.

Sorry, but what basis do you go by to say there is not enough demand for it?

Status of the league and population of the country. Very simplistic, I admit, but it's better than reading a few posts on a forum, I think.

Status of the league and population of the country. Very simplistic, I admit, but it's better than reading a few posts on a forum, I think.

My opinion isn't based on a few posts on a forum, that was just an example.

The population of Iceland is HALF of what the population of Cyprus is, yet Iceland has it's own league, funny huh?

My opinion isn't based on a few posts on a forum, that was just an example.

The population of Iceland is HALF of what the population of Cyprus is, yet Iceland has it's own league, funny huh?

I don't think that league should be in there either tbh. Anyway, you clearly believe the Cypriot league should be in there, so good luck to you.

Cyprus' UEFA league coefficient is pretty much equal to Croatia's, and higher than Ireland, Finland, Romania, Wales, Iceland etc. Surely the status of the league in the eyes of UEFA is pretty important?

As for the population, the nearest in the game is Northern Ireland, but 1mil less at 800,000 approx. However, on population density they're pretty much on the same level as Spain, and far ahead of some other nations.

Hmmm. I can see your point though, obviously, but in relative terms, there's a pretty strong case I'd argue.

I don't think that league should be in there either tbh. Anyway, you clearly believe the Cypriot league should be in there, so good luck to you.

Well, I think it should be in because Cyprus has been making alot more noise as a footballing country than half the other leagues there (considering half the leagues are unkown leagues).

Im sorry I know you only mentioned it as an example, but I dont agree that the Icelandic league is less important than the Cypriotic. Obviously being icelandic i will admit to being slightly biased but nontheless...No offence at all to Cyprus but one also has to look at the number of 'higher' profile players that a country is producing. Even though the Icelandic national team isnt doing too great, and admittetly neither are the club sides (although our former champions narrowly lost out to BATE Borisov in the 2nd Q of the CL and we all know what happened next...) but the players we are producing, mainly for other countries is increasing. Our league is getting stronger and for a nation of 300,000 people it is quite extraordinary.

Plus there is a huge market for the game in Iceland, with every man woman and child playing it. So please I know Iceland is the easy example, but do not pick on us because I, like so many others love playing in our league and we so desperately do not want it taken away from us.

Sorry for the rant, I'm kind of tired ;) but I mean no offence to you or Cyprus.

PS. Hershie, that UEFA, FIFA whatever, list is absolute ****. Iceland, although not the best national team in the world, could thrash many of the teams that are supposedly better than them on those lists...so dont go there

Cyprus' UEFA league coefficient is pretty much equal to Croatia's, and higher than Ireland, Finland, Romania, Wales, Iceland etc. Surely the status of the league in the eyes of UEFA is pretty important?

As for the population, the nearest in the game is Northern Ireland, but 1mil less at 800,000 approx. However, on population density they're pretty much on the same level as Spain, and far ahead of some other nations.

Hmmm. I can see your point though, obviously, but in relative terms, there's a pretty strong case I'd argue.

Exactly.

Good post. :thup:

To add, Cyprus is a very big tourist destination. Just pointing out that it isn't a scrub country or anything.

Im sorry I know you only mentioned it as an example, but I dont agree that the Icelandic league is less important than the Cypriotic. Obviously being icelandic i will admit to being slightly biased but nontheless...No offence at all to Cyprus but one also has to look at the number of 'higher' profile players that a country is producing. Even though the Icelandic national team isnt doing too great, and admittetly neither are the club sides (although our former champions narrowly lost out to BATE Borisov in the 2nd Q of the CL and we all know what happened next...) but the players we are producing, mainly for other countries is increasing. Our league is getting stronger and for a nation of 300,000 people it is quite extraordinary.

Plus there is a huge market for the game in Iceland, with every man woman and child playing it. So please I know Iceland is the easy example, but do not pick on us because I, like so many others love playing in our league and we so desperately do not want it taken away from us.

Sorry for the rant, I'm kind of tired ;) but I mean no offence to you or Cyprus.

LOL! I was waiting for an Icelandic guy to come and rip into my post.

I mean no disrespect WHATSOEVER to Icelandic football (I've been reading up on Icelandic Football by the way), but Iceland hasn't had a team compete and cause trouble for the other teams, in the Champions League QUALIFYING ROUNDS for a while.

I see one major problem with Cypriot football which could be used as an argument against the addition of this league to FM X - there are very few Cypriot players that are recognisable outside their own country (and possibly Greece), as opposed to, for example, Iceland. The Cypriot national team has been getting great results recently, but only three players are based outside Cyprus. Therefore, the international attraction of this league is relatively low.

:thup:

Cyprus' national talent is very much on the up too. I'll highlight Cyprus 5 - 2 Ireland as an example, and the narrow stoppage time defeat away at Italy a few months ago. As for the game in Cyprus, computers themselves aren't very big there really, but are finally catching on and quickly, particularly as broadband availability spreads to meet the needs of the increasing number of UK citizens choosing to move out there. I think almost 1/10th of the population at the next census is predicted to be UK passport holders. With the huge following for the Premier League out there, it's only a matter of time until FM becomes big too. It may already be, though. Lots of games on offer in the few, but increasing number of games and multimedia shops out there.

LOL! I was waiting for an Icelandic guy to come and rip into my post.

I mean no disrespect WHATSOEVER to Icelandic football (I've been reading up on Icelandic Football by the way), but Iceland hasn't had a team compete and cause trouble for the other teams, in the Champions League QUALIFYING ROUNDS for a while.

Of course I get your point, my what I'm trying to say is that we are growing very fast. Unfortunately players like Aron Gunnarsson (Coventry), Arnor Smarason (Herenveen sp?) and Theodor Elmar Bjarnason (Lyn) get shipped out way to fast so every time there is a good player in Iceland he gets shipped out, usually still in his teens. But like i said, Valur narrowly lost out to BATE Borisov, it could have gone differently, all we need is one lucky draw to give us a kick start....

I see one major problem with Cypriot football which could be used as an argument against the addition of this league to FM X - there are very few Cypriot players that are recognisable outside their own country (and possibly Greece), as opposed to, for example, Iceland. The Cypriot national team has been getting great results recently, but only three players are based outside Cyprus. Therefore, the international attraction of this league is relatively low.

True, almost all the players in the most recent national team were Cyprus-based, but I'd argue that to some this, coupled with the great results, is indeed the major attraction.

:thup:

Cyprus' national talent is very much on the up too. I'll highlight Cyprus 5 - 2 Ireland as an example, and the narrow stoppage time defeat away at Italy a few months ago. As for the game in Cyprus, computers themselves aren't very big there really, but are finally catching on and quickly, particularly as broadband availability spreads to meet the needs of the increasing number of UK citizens choosing to move out there. I think almost 1/10th of the population at the next census is predicted to be UK passport holders. With the huge following for the Premier League out there, it's only a matter of time until FM becomes big too. It may already be, though. Lots of games on offer in the few, but increasing number of games and multimedia shops out there.

Some of my friends have FM in Cyprus.

and just to make it clear, Im not against the introduction of the Cypriotic league at all, I think it would be a great thing, Im just defending Iceland ;)

I completely understand, and sorry to bash the Icelandic football league.

Iceland prodcues some great players, but because alot of these players are shipped OUT, the Icelandic football league isn't as good. (this is an answer to pr0ffes0rs post as well).

True, almost all the players in the most recent national team were Cyprus-based, but I'd argue that to some this, coupled with the great results, is indeed the major attraction.

For your average FM player the thrill of managing Gudjohnsen will be much higher than the thrill of managing Konstantinou. Whereas those who like managing in lesser-known European leagues constitute a small minority.

Further, I'd assume that - should the decision to add more leagues be made - Bosnia will take precedence over Cyprus.

For your average FM player the thrill of managing Gudjohnsen will be much higher than the thrill of managing Konstantinou. Whereas those who like managing in lesser-known European leagues constitute a small minority.

Further, I'd assume that - should the decision to add more leagues be made - Bosnia will take precedence over Cyprus.

Read my post here: Iceland prodcues some great players, but because alot of these players are shipped OUT, the Icelandic football league isn't as good. (this is an answer to pr0ffes0rs post as well).

Cyprus KEEPS most of their good players, which means the actual quality of the Football League is benefits.

I'd also like to add, what has Bosnia done over Cyprus to merit a place?

I'd think team success triumphs ultimately over individual success.

Thinking about it too, I remember rumours about Okkas joining Derby but it never happened.

I'd think team success triumphs ultimately over individual success.

Thinking about it too, I remember rumours about Okkas joining Derby but it never happened.

Hershie, are you from Cyprus? If so, where do you live?

I'm from England but all my family is from Cyprus. :)

Bosnia have much more footballing talent than Cyprus. And I'm not sure about the home-grown strength of Cypriot clubs - in Anorthosis you have 9 Cypriot players and 17 foreigners; only Nikolau and Constantinou started against Panathinaikos last week; in APOEL there are 14 Cypriot players and 15 foreigners; and only Christou, Charalampidis and Michail started against Schalke in their last UEFA game. This strongly suggests Cypriot club success heavily relies on foreign players.

Another thing im just gonna shoot in ;)

I looked up the cypriotic league and you can see a distinct pattern of the league champions in recent years with a couple dominating. Thats maybe the problem in Iceland. We have a very fluctuating league (althought that has been fixed somewhat with the increase from 10 to 12 teams) so there hasnt been time for a team to build on its achievements, well not enough to achieve anything in Europe. a team wins the league and then it gets a 5th place finish and by the time it wins again, the european experience will be forgotten and they have to begin again. If we could have time to build on european games, we might have a chance, and i truly believe that u will see something from us in a couple of years.

Watch this space ;)

Bosnia have much more footballing talent than Cyprus. And I'm not sure about the home-grown strength of Cypriot clubs - in Anorthosis you have 9 Cypriot players and 17 foreigners; only Nikolau and Constantinou started against Panathinaikos last week; in APOEL there are 14 Cypriot players and 15 foreigners; and only Christou, Charalampidis and Michail started against Schalke in their last UEFA game. This strongly suggests Cypriot club success heavily relies on foreign players.

Cypriot football NEEDS to rely on foreign players because of the population. Even with most players staying in Cyprus, foreigners are needed to help fill the teams out. For Cyprus to attract so many foreigners, it must be a good thing.

Archived