Football Manager Wiki

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fwiw, I like the new design, with the table.

Still not the best it could be, but better than the scrolling.

I would be happy to pay towards one, but like others have said if we are serious about paying for one then we should find a better site to base it on.

Even if it means paying a little more, I think it would be worth it in the long term. Wikispaces does what we want it to do at the moment, but doesn't look very professional.

Personally I prefer a wiki as it everyone can contribute although that has a a good side and bad side as well I think as it can lead to arguments. Obviously it can be abused as well but that can be undone easily enough. However I remember hamilton (not picking on you, just an example :D) said that he wants to edit the Wycombe article so nobody touch it. Anyone can come along and edit a wiki obviously so anyone who creates an article has to realise that it is not actually their article as such, as everyone has the right to edit it if they want to, especially if there is something in it they don't agree with like a player recommendation or something.

Also that is a thing about the club articles that arsenal got permission to use. Did the users agree that anyone can just come along and edit them?

A guest can also just edit out the name that was credited with creating the article.

We shouldn't pay for anything yet.

And, I think our own domain would be better than a wiki, to be honest.

Although, the wiki will do for now.

I will finish some articles and start my editing tonight.

I still need to create an account :D

I will compile the two CA articles together to make it a super article :D

Yeah, you probably should let them know in some way. :thup:

I've edited the starting post, and have also edited all of the starts of them. For example the Everton page now says

The following was all written by roberto922 in the Sports Interactive Community Forums. It was originally posted in the Football Manager 2009 Everton Thread. All credit for the below goes to him. As WikiSpaces is avalible to anyone to edit as they like, I can not guarentee that the below is the exact work of the original writer. To see the original thread and to discuss this team, please visit the Good Player and Team Guide.

Layout looks very poor thb, why not just seek to imitate wikipedia.

*Awaits barrage of abuse*

thb doesn't make sense.

What do you mean 'seek to imitate wikipedia'?

We aren't paying for this [yet], wheras Wikipedia have payed staff. This is not and will not be a website to make money, and we have little or no funds to put into it. Unlike Wikipedia, who raised around £1mil by begging.

thb doesn't make sense.

What do you mean 'seek to imitate wikipedia'?

We aren't paying for this [yet], wheras Wikipedia have payed staff. This is not and will not be a website to make money, and we have little or no funds to put into it. Unlike Wikipedia, who raised around £1mil by begging.

Although the software Wikipedia uses is free but obviously you need servers to host the site.

I think the current set up is fine the way it is.

Galactus, we did experiment with the different layout options and colours last night and most people on here at the time thought that the current one is the best from the limited amout available on the free version.

MediaWiki looks very good actually. Is it free?

Also, would we be able to move whole pages across, or would we have to create new pages and copy and paste?

Yeah, MediaWiki is free. I assume we would have to move them across manually by copying and pasting.

I like MediaWiki as well. If people are happy to move I'll move. :D

Yeah, MediaWiki is free. I assume we would have to move them across manually by copying and pasting.

I like MediaWiki as well. If people are happy to move I'll move. :D

I'm happy, I've already created a MediaWiki account now. But it seems very complicated to set up, or am I missing something here?

I'm happy, I've already created a MediaWiki account now. But it seems very complicated to set up, or am I missing something here?

MediaWiki is what Wikipedia uses.

You have download the software to a server. I don't how complicated it is to use though.

It is not like the other one where you just create a wiki on that site.

You have download the software to a server. I don't how complicated it is to use though.

So would we get an official website? e.g. www.fmwiki.com?

Seems very complicated, I don't know how much help I would be with moving it over.

Yeah I know, that's what was confusing me. There's a lot of extra software required.

You would need to do it through copy and pasting if you have it hosted on a free webspace - highly annoying.

What I could say to you in the meantime though is that if you wish to edit the wiki link above to a FM wiki instead of FML one then I can host it for you :) Should you find an alternative webspace in the future then it will be easier to migrate through mySQL backups of the data which can be exported easily.

You would need to do it through copy and pasting if you have it hosted on a free webspace - highly annoying.

What I could say to you in the meantime though is that if you wish to edit the wiki link above to a FM wiki instead of FML one then I can host it for you :) Should you find an alternative webspace in the future then it will be easier to migrate through mySQL backups of the data which can be exported easily.

The Wiki you have there looks excellent. That is a kind offer JJay, certainly something i would like to see happen if the other guys are in agreement (and assuming it is not too difficult).

Are you sure JJay? That would be great and would be happy with that. What are you going to do then with your FMLive articles that are on the wiki?

Archived