Football Manager Wiki

Cheers for the advice Jim! I have removed everything you suggested we be rid of I think. Is there anything else you suggest we take out/put in?

Is the recommendation to use GameBooster and Advanced SystemCare something you wouldn't recommend either?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cheers for the advice Jim! I have removed everything you suggested we be rid of I think. Is there anything else you suggest we take out/put in?

Is the recommendation to use GameBooster and Advanced SystemCare something you wouldn't recommend either?

It's hard to say really, I haven't used either of them so I can't comment - I think you should probably just tread carefully with it. I have no issue with you leaving Spybot and SAS on there, because they're very much tried and tested programs with clear methods, goals and success rates.

As for things like the two you mention, it's much harder to gauge. For example, as far as I'm aware, GameBooster achieves its results primarily by closing down unnecessary programs - who decides what's unnecessary? The clipboard is often deemed unnecessary by certain tweakers, but someone taking a screenshot on FM might disagree - just an example in this situation, I'm sure it doesn't do that.

My gut reaction (you can see I rely on it a lot ;)) would be to remove them until we can get a firm consensus of what is "safe" and what isn't - at the moment we've only got the original author's word for it, and while I don't dispute that, it may not be the correct one.

I'm just rewriting the "affiliated clubs" article as we speak, but perhaps once I've done I'll have a whisk through this article and just see if I can clean it up a bit. It's got no major flaws as is, but it could certainly to with some refocussing and reorganising I reckon, especially because it's been hacked up a bit.

While I'm here, is there any kind of a "to-do" list set up on the Wiki? I was just wondering because during my editing of the affiliates article I noticed that it completely misses the idea of getting a parent club, which is fairly important. I'm not really one for writing original content, more editing what's already there, but I reckon if I put something in the discussion page for that article it would never get read. Just thinking that a special area where people could put ideas for edits/articles in, and then when somebody has some spare time they can browse it, and decide which bit they fancy taking on. I don't think with such a small Wiki the Wikipedia method of putting a bar at the top of each article to say what needs doing with it would work, but a feature to point out what needs doing could be useful :).

If this forum is anything to go by (whether it is or not is largely debatable being honest ;)), GameBooster is a reliable tool. I have had no problems with it myself but then again that doesn't mean a whole lot. Advanced SystemCare doesn't actually do anything to your PC, it just brings defrag and all those kind of tools together.

We had a long, long to do list over the summer - most of which has now been completed. At the moment, there's nothing that's on our agenda really except gathering all FM10 info together, which doesn't take a whole lot of work. At the moment, I'm just going around to random pages, proof-reading them, and adding any info I feel needs adding. A to-do list sounds good to me, although I will need to have a scan through all the pages again before I can decide what needs doing. If anyone could make some recommendations that'd be great.

I understand that there are a lot of articles that are far from complete at the moment, but we have only a handful of regular editors so it can be tedious keeping up with everything at times.

Do you think that a general thread for transfers for each month would be a good idea?

It'd take a lot of work but it'd be a good resource for those who make database updates. It might be too much effort than it's worth though if there are already sites for this (which I guess there are, not certain). If you want to do it, go ahead imo :thup:

If this forum is anything to go by (whether it is or not is largely debatable being honest ;)), GameBooster is a reliable tool. I have had no problems with it myself but then again that doesn't mean a whole lot. Advanced SystemCare doesn't actually do anything to your PC, it just brings defrag and all those kind of tools together.

We had a long, long to do list over the summer - most of which has now been completed. At the moment, there's nothing that's on our agenda really except gathering all FM10 info together, which doesn't take a whole lot of work. At the moment, I'm just going around to random pages, proof-reading them, and adding any info I feel needs adding. A to-do list sounds good to me, although I will need to have a scan through all the pages again before I can decide what needs doing. If anyone could make some recommendations that'd be great.

I understand that there are a lot of articles that are far from complete at the moment, but we have only a handful of regular editors so it can be tedious keeping up with everything at times.

Yeah, I know they can get a bit labour-intensive to the point of becoming worthless, I just thought it would be a good way of letting people know that something needs sorting, because the forums don't really seem like the best platform for it.

And now for something completely different...

I was just reading through the general stadium information article, and noticed the claim that there are four factors listed: Money in the bank, Current capacity compared to maximum potential capacity of current stadium, Average attendance in relation to current capacity, Luck. Surely any current debts are considered as well?

It'd take a lot of work but it'd be a good resource for those who make database updates. It might be too much effort than it's worth though if there are already sites for this (which I guess there are, not certain). If you want to do it, go ahead imo :thup:

I'll see what everyone else thinks first Alan. Could be hard work like you said but I think that it would be quite good. If it doesn't work then you could delete it. Could be like this:

=1st August=

Transfers

=2nd August=

Transfers

etc.

Yeah, I know they can get a bit labour-intensive to the point of becoming worthless, I just thought it would be a good way of letting people know that something needs sorting, because the forums don't really seem like the best platform for it.

I agree that it would be better to have a to-do list on the main site rather than the forums. What would you think if we were to add a to-do list in similar format to the stub template at the bottom of pages that need work?

Not sure about the stadiums query, although I assume debts also come into account. Pnefc22 will probably no more about it than myself though.

I'll see what everyone else thinks first Alan. Could be hard work like you said but I think that it would be quite good. If it doesn't work then you could delete it. Could be like this:

=1st August=

Transfers

=2nd August=

Transfers

etc.

It's only one page so I don't see what harm it could cause.

I agree that it would be better to have a to-do list on the main site rather than the forums. What would you think if we were to add a to-do list in similar format to the stub template at the bottom of pages that need work?

Yeah that looks good, I didn't know that template existed but it fits the bill pretty nicely, just a link to the page and a very brief outline of what is required would probably give the improvement efforts a bit more focus.

Not sure about the stadiums query, although I assume debts also come into account. Pnefc22 will probably no more about it than myself though.

Yeah, I don't know a lot about the inner workings of the game I have to admit so I tend to prefer waiting for someone else to confirm what I think before editing :)

I think I'm going to divide the Making FM Faster article into some clearer sections, to keep the PC tweaks and FM tweaks separate. I'll see what it looks like when I'm finished, if it's a load of rubbish I'll put it back again.

For pages that already have stub tags, I think we should take an approach like the one I've taken on this page, to avoid clutter with so many boxes.

Go ahead with the tips page, it's a bit of a mess at the moment.

Yeah that's great, nice thing as well is that it should keep most of the recommendations brief. Are you just going to go ahead and edit the stub then? If it always has the to-do list visible I reckon it might tempt people to fill it in, as opposed to having to choose between a plain one or one with a built in to do list.

http://www.footballmanagerwiki.co.uk/index.php?title=Template:Stub

Took a while to figure out, but it should be fully functioning now.

{{stub
|list=Whatever you want to say}}

That's what you need to put onto the page to make it work.

The brackets in all the tagged pages look a bit ugly though, I'll see if I can sort that out now.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?p=3723603#post3723603

That's the new thread in the fansites forum, HoPeY deleted the old one so we had one that we could uodate the opening post on whenever we wanted.

Is there anything that needs adding? I'll do a badge when I have internet on my computer, unless someone can post the image here? :)

Right, I've finished editing the tips page now... can't believe how long it's taken to edit two pages... two! Anyway, you might want to take a look over it and see what you think because it probably needs a bit more messing around with.

Also, I have just moved the old "Misc" tips, because I'm not absolutely familiar with all of them and I've already spent long enough editing it tonight. I'll take a look at them in due course, but if anybody knows more about them, feel free to sort it out.

Cheers, snooty jim.

I will have a look through it now and tell you what I think.

To do with current debts being taken into account when improving your stadium, I am not sure about that but I will look into it, and see what some people say.

PS, I am back from my quick holiday and have regular internet now (was a bit dodgy while on holiday) so, back to work :D

I've made a good few changes to small things like templates, disclaimers and text boxes over the last day or two.

New system with disclaimers - you do not make a new template for each person. What you type at the end of the page is:

{{stub
|name=person name here
|site=whatever site (s)he's from}}

Make sure to close the bracket or it'll look all screwy.

Or you could use the gptg-disclaimer I made, which is probably a bit easier:

{{gptg-disclaimer
|name=person name}}

Don't think many of you are familiar with making text boxes so I made a template to make it simpler for you guys. For a textbox like the one used for disclaimers to show up, you need to type up this:

{{textbox
|alignment=left/right/centre etc. Use this if you want the box to appear in a certain position.
|text=Whatever you want to type}}

If you want one of those green or blue boxes to show up like on the main page or the featured content page, you type:

{{greenbox (or bluebox if you want a blue one)
|title=page title here
|text=Whatever you want to write}}

Also, disclaimers. There's no need to add disclaimers for yourself as you can see who made the page in the history section. The only purpose of disclaimers is to give credit to those who have given us permission to use their content or have passed on information to the site for us to post up. I've added this to the rules.

I have added a to do list to every stub now. Add any pages you feel need developing to the stub list, it's pretty small at the moment. To add a to-do list:

{{stub
|list=Your to-do list}}

I have started up the graphics pack page (:rolleyes:) and will be adding a lot more to it either today or tomorrow. FM10 blogs won't be coming 'till next week so I'll try and get something done on regular pages while I have the time.

I've added FM-View's podcast with Miles to the site. The MP3 player works!

When FM10 is released, shall we make a FM09 Club Guides category, so we can have new guides for each team but still have them for people on FM09?

If the page (eg) Arsenal was the FM10 page it would have a link at the top saying something like Still playing FM09? Read the{>09 Arsenal guide!

And have that page called Arsenal FM09, with the FM10 page simply called Arsenal.

Good idea Jammy. I've added a lot of the transfer section information for the summer window.

Do you think it would be a good idea to ask those who have threads for FM07 and 08 for permission to add club threads for previous versions of the game?

Yep, it's fine if you do that here SJ.

Thanks, in arshavin's profile it says he is arsenal's first choice right winger, but in theo's it says he is. Imo it is theo, also on the arsenal page it says walcott and arshavin are both our RMs, it should be theo imo and arshavin and nasri both left but it doesn't matter which andrei plays on. Also imo the formation should be 4-4-2 imo with van persie up front and adeybayor. and cesc should be cm (a) with denilson at mc (d).

The podcasts are a nice touch to the site imo. Must ask if we're allowed to put the official FM podcasts up on the site soon enough. It'd be useful having another place to listen to the podcast if you don't want to use iTunes or download the podcast.

First FM10 blogs should be up next week, anyone willing to lend a hand?

The podcasts are a nice touch to the site imo. Must ask if we're allowed to put the official FM podcasts up on the site soon enough. It'd be useful having another place to listen to the podcast if you don't want to use iTunes or download the podcast.

That would be awesome cos i really hate iTunes

Yeah sure. Doing what?

Thanks Rob, don't expect Jammy to be around much this week either so I do need a bit of help :)

Blogs could well be up tomorrow morning and I expect the first podcast to be out before the end of the week so basically what I need help with is getting all the news onto the site.

can anybody change the FMUnderground link? It is not working.

Yeah, I will have a look at it now. :thup:

Thanks Rob, don't expect Jammy to be around much this week either so I do need a bit of help :)

Blogs could well be up tomorrow morning and I expect the first podcast to be out before the end of the week so basically what I need help with is getting all the news onto the site.

Ok, what sites are they being uploaded to?

Any been put up this morning?

Archived