Football Manager Wiki

I've added the disclaimer Tom, although you could have done it yourself ;)

Nep gave me permission to make a page on it months ago so it's cool.

As regards what pages should you do - anything really, there's not anything to focus on now that most of the things we were planning have been sorted out. Just add whatever you feel's appropriate.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, didn't know that i could add a diclaimer myself, but thanks Alan :thup: For future reference, could you please tell me how to do it? Thanks :)

In regards to pages that i could do, i'll try and get some random pages done when i feel like it. I'm just about to start writing the Youth Project page and i'll do a player profile of Michael Potts sometime soon as well :)

Ah, didn't know that i could add a diclaimer myself, but thanks Alan :thup: For future reference, could you please tell me how to do it? Thanks :)

In regards to pages that i could do, i'll try and get some random pages done when i feel like it. I'm just about to start writing the Youth Project page and i'll do a player profile of Michael Potts sometime soon as well :)

I'll finish off the coding help page now, so it includes everything you need to know on editing.

Anyone else think that the FM10 front cover picture on the homepage looks fuzzy from close up (20cmish).

But when I look at it in full size mode it looks fine :confused:

That happens to some pictures, no idea why. There's no way of fixing it afaik.

By any chance have you not read over it yet Tom? I had a quick look just there and I removed some things that make it look like a blind copy + paste job. Might want to have a look at it again.. ;)

I have done most of the guide for you, check the help section.

Nah, i'll try and take a look at it! I'm kinda creating a player profile for Michael Potts atm, 3 articles done in a day it should be, definately a personal record :D

What do you want me to try and fix? Do you want it re-worded so it doesn't look like blantant copy and pasting?

Nah, i'll try and take a look at it! I'm kinda creating a player profile for Michael Potts atm, 3 articles done in a day it should be, definately a personal record :D

What do you want me to try and fix? Do you want it re-worded so it doesn't look like blantant copy and pasting?

It needs rewording so that it makes sense as an article. At the moment, it says things like 'in this thread' and 'Each season I will add a new player to the reports', and contains several Is.

The categorizing is the most important bit, no one will see the page if you forget to do it ;)

I've submitted our fansite description for it to appear on the new FM10 site so it should be up shortly. Needs to be approved first though.

Didn't you do that about a week ago? :D

I'm currently working my way through the league guides and updating the teams for the 2009-10 season. Quick question: why, under the national competitions category, do 'Barclays PL' and 'CC Championship' come under E? I guess because they may have been called English PL, English Championship in the past, or because of the nation they are from, but it makes it inconsistent. e.g. the Blue Square leagues are under B. Surely an article called 'Barclays Premier League' should be categorised automatically under B?

Looks like a bug with the software. The page in question used to be called "England - Championship". When it was moved, its place on the categories page was not updated. I'll fix it for you now.

EDIT: Didn't work, no idea how to fix it now.

Strange. It's not a massive problem, but it would be nice if we could get them in the right order somehow.

All the league pages have been updated with this season's teams, except MLS (leaving that to rancer, plus we don't know how many teams will be in it in FM10), the South African premier league (will do this later) and the Indonesian Super League (can't actually find a team list for this season, so it can wait for the moment).

Excellent, great job JS :thup:

One question on the League Two page though - some of the teams on that page have blank descriptions (mainly the teams that have their own pages). Think we should add descriptions for those teams as well?

I tried deleting the pages and making them again but it didn't work.

The blank descriptions are for teams that weren't in League 2 last year. Whoever created the League 2 page added in descriptions for all the teams, I just removed the teams no longer there and added in the new teams. Descriptions probably should be added for them, I can't really do it as I don't follow the league at all. Not sure who created it in the first place either.

Hmm, I'd have thought that would work, but obviously not.

Most of the teams that had no descriptions already had pages anyway, so I just copied them onto the League Two page. Torquay are the only team without a description now.

I'll see if I can add anything to some of the competition/club guides now, haven't done much on them at all since the site was made.

I'll probably look to expand some of them, as a few don't have much on them, like league rules from FM. Any I originally created should have that on already, like the French leagues, but some others will need them adding. Hopefully I'll have time to add in articles on some of the other bigger leagues soon :thup:

I did a bit of proof-reading for FMW when it launched, and I've just popped around for another little look, see how everything's going - will probably do some more proof-reading later on.

However, I've just been looking at the tips to make FM run faster, and I'm really not all that convinced. It's a perfectly good idea to have a topic about it, but recommending a registry cleaner? A lot of forums based around helping people to fix computers wouldn't recommend a registry cleaner, and I'm not sure it's really the place for FMW to start dabbling in it. Fair enough with the obvious things like defrag, but encouraging people to start messing around with msconfig and registry cleaners for the sake of FM just seems like a bad idea to me, even if you stick a disclaimer on there to say it's not your fault when Windows won't load, it just seems a little excessive in my eyes.

I've never had any problems with registry cleaners myself, so would you mind telling me what sort of complications they may cause? Is it more to do with novice users deleting things that they have no clue about or something else? Either way, it could go because it doesn't have all that much influence on system performance.

And I assume the issue you have with msconfig is that people that aren't very 'in the know' would just go ahead and have no processes run on startup. What would you think if we were to put these two tips under some kind of 'for advanced users only' header? Then again, 'advanced' users would probably know about that anyway so it'd be pointless - might as well delete them altogether I suppose. Are there any other changes you'd like to see be made to this page?

Also - does increasing FM's priority actually improve performance? From my experience it just slows it down (presumably because FM may need other programs running in the background in order for it to run). Forgot to mention that earlier.

I did a bit of proof-reading for FMW when it launched, and I've just popped around for another little look, see how everything's going - will probably do some more proof-reading later on.

However, I've just been looking at the tips to make FM run faster, and I'm really not all that convinced. It's a perfectly good idea to have a topic about it, but recommending a registry cleaner? A lot of forums based around helping people to fix computers wouldn't recommend a registry cleaner, and I'm not sure it's really the place for FMW to start dabbling in it. Fair enough with the obvious things like defrag, but encouraging people to start messing around with msconfig and registry cleaners for the sake of FM just seems like a bad idea to me, even if you stick a disclaimer on there to say it's not your fault when Windows won't load, it just seems a little excessive in my eyes.

well msconfig is fairly easy to use, i haven't read the article but deselected IE, iTunes, MSN messager etc to not start up with windows is good for the speed of your computer anyways. As long as you only deselect programs you know and nothing with system beside its all well and good.

but i understand where your coming from but alot of the msconfig is fairly easy if you take care and act on the side of caustion in areas you don't know much about, just like with anything to do with pcs or laptops

Not really, all the patch links are given in the infobox at the top of the game release pages, FM10 screenshots are kept on a separate page in the FM10 section. If you can't find something you're looking for, let me know and I'll link you to it. I could try a links thread in the forum, but I'm not all that sure how it'd work.

In response to Saulty ofc.

Not really, all the patch links are given in the infobox at the top of the game release pages, FM10 screenshots are kept on a separate page in the FM10 section. If you can't find something you're looking for, let me know and I'll link you to it. I could try a links thread in the forum, but I'm not all that sure how it'd work.

In response to Saulty ofc.

Ahh right, just wondered if there was a page for all the people that pop up every now and again asking how to post a screenie or where the patch is, etc.

I know it's not to in demand, but I'll do the Walsall page at a later date :)

Ahh right, just wondered if there was a page for all the people that pop up every now and again asking how to post a screenie or where the patch is, etc.

I know it's not to in demand, but I'll do the Walsall page at a later date :)

http://www.footballmanagerwiki.co.uk/index.php?title=Special:AWCforum&action=st/id41/#post_182

There is one now :p

I've never had any problems with registry cleaners myself, so would you mind telling me what sort of complications they may cause? Is it more to do with novice users deleting things that they have no clue about or something else? Either way, it could go because it doesn't have all that much influence on system performance.

And I assume the issue you have with msconfig is that people that aren't very 'in the know' would just go ahead and have no processes run on startup. What would you think if we were to put these two tips under some kind of 'for advanced users only' header? Then again, 'advanced' users would probably know about that anyway so it'd be pointless - might as well delete them altogether I suppose. Are there any other changes you'd like to see be made to this page?

Also - does increasing FM's priority actually improve performance? From my experience it just slows it down (presumably because FM may need other programs running in the background in order for it to run). Forgot to mention that earlier.

The big issue with registry cleaners, as far as I'm aware, is that you have to trust their "AI" which decides which registry entries are necessary and which are unnecessary. Seeing as AI is what is behind FM managers' decisions to sign 4 DMs in the same transfer window, a lot of people don't have that much faith in it ;). I'm not getting involved in the whole registry cleaners for-and-against debate, I've seen discussions about them getting very heated on PC care forums - I just think that when it's such a contentious issue, an FM wiki is really not the place for it.

Regarding the msconfig software, yes that's pretty much my concern. Okay, it's a useful tool, but it's not the ideal thing to use - it's all too easy for somebody to follow that guide, and start disabling services through the msconfig window, which firstly is a bad way to do it, and secondly is an excellent way to stop a PC from running.

Finally, on the "priority" issue, I think that's an absolutely insane tip to use. If you open up task manager, and check the task manager's process priority, it shows as high. The guide wants FM to be set to high as well, which then means that if FM crashes and starts chewing up CPU cycles, you launch task manager to close it, and they both start fighting over the processor. There might be some credit to setting FM to abovenormal (between normal and high), but if FM is having to work that hard to get CPU cycles then perhaps the user should be closing the program that's trying to use them - in that situation, no doubt other parts of the PC would be struggling to keep up.

well msconfig is fairly easy to use, i haven't read the article but deselected IE, iTunes, MSN messager etc to not start up with windows is good for the speed of your computer anyways. As long as you only deselect programs you know and nothing with system beside its all well and good.

but i understand where your coming from but alot of the msconfig is fairly easy if you take care and act on the side of caustion in areas you don't know much about, just like with anything to do with pcs or laptops

Exactly - I just know from experience that PC experts are very careful when they start spreading tips around the place in case people wreck their machines, and I imagine that the last thing anybody wants is for someone to say that they used the msconfig guide, then their PC wouldn't start and PC World charged them £70 to fix it, so guess who they think is liable. The legal aspect is irrelevant, it's just not worth the hassle.

-------------

My gut reaction is that it's an FM Wiki, so it certainly should contain FM speed boost techniques, but not system wide ones. Things like deleting startup videos, changing preferences, or using a smaller database are all fair game, but I would highly recommend removing the system speed boost advice, spare the obvious stuff like making sure you have adequate RAM, spare HD space (these link to the game's minimum requirements) and defrag (since a defrag tool is built directly into windows) - as for the rest of the more complicated stuff, just providing a link to a suitable free internet resource with some good advice on how to speed up your computer should do the trick. At least then the onus is on somebody else to decide what is good advice and what isn't - with a wiki it's all too easy to add a weird and possibly damaging tweak to the list, when you've got nothing to lose if it causes problems.

Hope that makes sense!

The big issue with registry cleaners, as far as I'm aware, is that you have to trust their "AI" which decides which registry entries are necessary and which are unnecessary. Seeing as AI is what is behind FM managers' decisions to sign 4 DMs in the same transfer window, a lot of people don't have that much faith in it ;). I'm not getting involved in the whole registry cleaners for-and-against debate, I've seen discussions about them getting very heated on PC care forums - I just think that when it's such a contentious issue, an FM wiki is really not the place for it.

Regarding the msconfig software, yes that's pretty much my concern. Okay, it's a useful tool, but it's not the ideal thing to use - it's all too easy for somebody to follow that guide, and start disabling services through the msconfig window, which firstly is a bad way to do it, and secondly is an excellent way to stop a PC from running.

Finally, on the "priority" issue, I think that's an absolutely insane tip to use. If you open up task manager, and check the task manager's process priority, it shows as high. The guide wants FM to be set to high as well, which then means that if FM crashes and starts chewing up CPU cycles, you launch task manager to close it, and they both start fighting over the processor. There might be some credit to setting FM to abovenormal (between normal and high), but if FM is having to work that hard to get CPU cycles then perhaps the user should be closing the program that's trying to use them - in that situation, no doubt other parts of the PC would be struggling to keep up.

Exactly - I just know from experience that PC experts are very careful when they start spreading tips around the place in case people wreck their machines, and I imagine that the last thing anybody wants is for someone to say that they used the msconfig guide, then their PC wouldn't start and PC World charged them £70 to fix it, so guess who they think is liable. The legal aspect is irrelevant, it's just not worth the hassle.

-------------

My gut reaction is that it's an FM Wiki, so it certainly should contain FM speed boost techniques, but not system wide ones. Things like deleting startup videos, changing preferences, or using a smaller database are all fair game, but I would highly recommend removing the system speed boost advice, spare the obvious stuff like making sure you have adequate RAM, spare HD space (these link to the game's minimum requirements) and defrag (since a defrag tool is built directly into windows) - as for the rest of the more complicated stuff, just providing a link to a suitable free internet resource with some good advice on how to speed up your computer should do the trick. At least then the onus is on somebody else to decide what is good advice and what isn't - with a wiki it's all too easy to add a weird and possibly damaging tweak to the list, when you've got nothing to lose if it causes problems.

Hope that makes sense!

Very valid point totally agree with you, didn't see it from that side, not all people exercise common sense when using a computer like my younger bro lol

Archived