CaptainPlanet

Football Manager Wiki

3,390 posts in this topic

Eh? :confused:

:(

# (User rename log); 13:10 . . Ahmufcwafc (Talk | contribs | block) renamed User:21 buy acai to "Bannerd user 26" (1 edit. Reason: )

# (User rename log); 13:10 . . Ahmufcwafc (Talk | contribs | block) renamed User:370 buy elimite to "Bannerd user 25" (1 edit. Reason: )

# (User rename log); 13:10 . . Ahmufcwafc (Talk | contribs | block) renamed User:181 buy proventil to "Bannerd user 24" (1 edit. Reason: )

For me it clearly reads "Banned user", obviously edited to make me look bad. You so crazy.

I think/hope i've just banned someone, renamed them and edited the content from their page.

Alan, could you see if theres anything else that I was meant to do? First time :D

That's all right afaik.

Buy study habits? Looks like someone is running out of ideas :D

Welcome back mate. Don't think you've missed all that much, apart from a small cleanup of the site.

Yeah, good to see you back Rob :)

----------------------------------------------------

Don't know if anyone remembers the post from about a week ago about me asking my mum about the Wikipedia articles.

As she was off work Monday to Wednesday, and forgot to ask on Thursday, friday was the first day that she could ask them.

They said that, whilst the chances that Wikipedia would take legal action is unlikely, to protect ourselves we should either

• Put 'This has been taken directly from Wikipedia' tags on every page that is copied from wiki. However this does still not rule out people taking action as we still have not got permission.
    or
  • Take small pieces of information where absolutely nessecary, but for as many pages as possible we should not use Wikipedia content. For those pages that ONLY contain Wikipedia content, and we can not develop to have more than that, we should delete, as the text we do not have permission for will be easy to see.

So basically, it would be best to remove as much of the information as possible. Having a small piece here and there shouldn't matter, but personally I feel it is better to have as little real life information as possible and focus on developing the FM side.

For those pages we can't get FM information for I think we should delete, as it is not worth the risk of anything happening for us taking the content.

:thup:

I think that if we all pull together and decide what areas we should and shouldn't keep, we can get it sorted :)

Maybe we set a deadline for us to re-do the pages once we've decided fully on what we're going to do - the end of August, maybe? Just ideas now, I don't know much about the profiles but I'll be willing to help if you tell me what I'm to do.

By the way stig, do you want to make a page on OTF radio? Someone linked me to it earlier today and it reminded me that you were going to make a page on it a few months back.

I'll sort out content with Gen-Next before starting it. May be on by the end of the week depending on work and other commitments.

Yeah that's fine, I don't mind when you put it up.

Does anyone know a lot about FMRTE? Started a page on it myself but there isn't all that much I could think of to put on it...

Never used it FMRTE, so I can't help.

I will do add some FM information into the player profiles over the next few days.

As well as uploading some stadium articles I did, around 2 months ago :D

Yeah I was thinking you were taking your time with those stadiums Robert :D

I am :D

I have only been on the forums extremely causally for the last month or so, because they died down a little IMO, but I think it is time to make my comeback. I followed threads such as this one, and a few of the sign-ups and challenges but I didn't post as much.

I agree on the Wikipedia issue though, little or no information from them at all, as TBF, if we had them all copied from Wikipedia, they would be crap.

Thanks mate, I'll ban him now.

EDIT: Done - some people really need to get a life :rolleyes:

I have only been on the forums extremely causally for the last month or so, because they died down a little IMO, but I think it is time to make my comeback. I followed threads such as this one, and a few of the sign-ups and challenges but I didn't post as much.

Yeah, the forums always die down towards the end of the football season. It quiet now, but it'll be total madness in a few weeks when the anouncement on FM10 is made :p

Yeah, the forums always die down towards the end of the football season. It quiet now, but it'll be total madness in a few weeks when the anouncement on FM10 is made :p

Yeah it will be complete madness. Steak with a spoon and all :D

Then, afterwards, comes the patch threads. Ah, good times :D

I am trying to finish and sort out the Preston page. It is a mess, mostly made by me. :o

Check the best eleven with no signings bit mate - is that how you want it to look like?

Did you change it?

I edited it, to be completely different to that and like the with recommended signings one. :confused:

EDIT: Just checked. You did change it :D

No, I prefer it more spaced out with links to the players so, when all the players are finished, people can just click on the players off that screen and, check how to play them.

Ah okay, you can change it back them.

Edit: Which you have done :D

Don't know if anyone remembers the post from about a week ago about me asking my mum about the Wikipedia articles.

As she was off work Monday to Wednesday, and forgot to ask on Thursday, friday was the first day that she could ask them.

They said that, whilst the chances that Wikipedia would take legal action is unlikely, to protect ourselves we should either

• Put 'This has been taken directly from Wikipedia' tags on every page that is copied from wiki. However this does still not rule out people taking action as we still have not got permission.
    or
  • Take small pieces of information where absolutely nessecary, but for as many pages as possible we should not use Wikipedia content. For those pages that ONLY contain Wikipedia content, and we can not develop to have more than that, we should delete, as the text we do not have permission for will be easy to see.

So basically, it would be best to remove as much of the information as possible. Having a small piece here and there shouldn't matter, but personally I feel it is better to have as little real life information as possible and focus on developing the FM side.

For those pages we can't get FM information for I think we should delete, as it is not worth the risk of anything happening for us taking the content.

:thup:

Just like to bring the points that Jammy made back up. I think it'd be best if we clean our act up with the wikipedia pages sooner rather than later. Personally I feel that all the non-player profiles can go, because there isn't anything FM related we can add to them at all.

Next, the player profiles. What do you all feel should be done with them. Some have said that a line or two of real life info should be all we have, with more detail on FM related info. We have some new player profiles from Jammy and all the guys from GPTG and I must say they look really good.

Really don't mean to be an ass but if we're not able to come to decision in this thread soon enough, I'll probably just have to do a massive clearout on the site, which I really don't want to do. Better safe than sorry though, the last thing I want is wikipedia on our case.

Thanks a lot guys :thup:

Guys, I've edited the Why Have We Set This Up part of the main page a little, this is not permanent. I'm hoping that it may make a difference to the amount of spamming accounts we have registered, although I doubt it will.

With regards to what Alan said above me, I think we should set a limit on how long we should give it before the pages with Wikipedia info on them are deleted. For the non-player profiles I think we could delete anytime, however for the player profile pages (as some may be edited to have FM information on them) I think we should give it a few days (perhaps until the 4th or 5th of August?) before deleting.

If no one minds then either Alan or I will delete the non player profiles today.

Cheers hopey, looks great :thup:

Guys, I've edited the Why Have We Set This Up part of the main page a little, this is not permanent. I'm hoping that it may make a difference to the amount of spamming accounts we have registered, although I doubt it will.

With regards to what Alan said above me, I think we should set a limit on how long we should give it before the pages with Wikipedia info on them are deleted. For the non-player profiles I think we could delete anytime, however for the player profile pages (as some may be edited to have FM information on them) I think we should give it a few days (perhaps until the 4th or 5th of August?) before deleting.

If no one minds then either Alan or I will delete the non player profiles today.

I've removed that because tbf you're only inviting people to spam. It doesn't work that way, if anything it'll encourage the spammer to spam more. Stay calm :)

I think we should give the player profiles more time, end of August maybe?

Thanks HoPeY :)

Cheers hopey, looks great :thup:

I've removed that because tbf you're only inviting people to spam. It doesn't work that way, if anything it'll encourage the spammer to spam more. Stay calm

I think we should give the player profiles more time, end of August maybe?

Well, I did say it wasn't permanent ;):D

Judging by the little amount of work that has been done recently towards the player profiles, personally I wouldn't say that much more is going to be done other than what is done in the next few days - like the last time we started editing them. Maybe the 4th or 5th is too early - although I wouldn't say any later than the middle of August to be honest.

Judging by the little amount of work that has been done recently towards the player profiles, personally I wouldn't say that much more is going to be done other than what is done in the next few days - like the last time we started editing them. Maybe the 4th or 5th is too early - although I wouldn't say any later than the middle of August to be honest.

Well we'll see how things go - if there's work being done on the wikipedia-ripped pages in mid-August then I see no reason why we shouldn't stretch the deadline to the end of August :)

10th of August sounds reasonable to me, as we can then extend it if work is still being done on them.

And, if it isn't, they won't be on there for long :D

Agree?

It's around 600 pages we're talking about here fwiw.

Alan, when shall we delete the non player profiles?

Also, hi to Frog19021996:)

Rob, do you want to write something up on your 1000 appearance challenge? Up to you ofc.

And Hamilton, almost forgot about you! Route to the top would be welcome as well :)

Slight problem there Alan. The file's are corrupted, so i've emailed them to a mate who's a computer freak to see if he can sort them out. If he can, then i'll start updating again. But there's a high chance that that won't happen :( I'm getting the results emailed to me at 12 today, so i'll know by then.

I might start another sign-up that's similar to it in a while though.

Thanks anyway :thup:

You can get people to fix save files? Never knew that.

THIS is why you should always use rolling autosaves :p

Well, he said he'd have a go using some tricks that he knows. Doubts if it'll work though as he's never worked with an .fm file type before. He's going to take a look at the coding to see if he can spot anything that doesn't look right compared to one of my other .fm files

I did use rolling autosave, but all 3 corrupted damn it!!! I tried defragmenting my disk, but it didn't work :mad:

Tom, do you run an Anti-virus program?

And, if so, does it check your FM folders?

Rob, do you want to write something up on your 1000 appearance challenge? Up to you ofc.

And Hamilton, almost forgot about you! Route to the top would be welcome as well :)

Yes, I will do. :thup:

600 pages is a lot but most of them won't be changed, so leaving them for a long time would be pointless IMO.

We should aim to get 150 done at least before the 10th.

Anti-virus isn't the problem, my mate's already checked over that.

Yes, I will do. :thup:

600 pages is a lot but most of them won't be changed, so leaving them for a long time would be pointless IMO.

We should aim to get 150 done at least before the 10th.

We have 90 done at the moment, so 150 seems achievable.

I've moved the player profile categories around, so that the completed player profiles are the main category and the old player profiles are the sub category - seems better to have the completed ones easier to see.

If anyone thinks that it was better how it was before, feel free to change it around again by undo'ing my edits that I just did. :)

Any suggestions for what we should have as our featured article this month? The featured articles page could use a change too...

What is the Live Chat Room used for? :D

I tried to sign in but kept getting errors and it would log me out immediately.

Just started my 1000 appearence article and I will finish it later.

JJay put the chat room feature in when we last upgraded software. Don't know if anyone uses it tbh, I was only ever online there the first day or two. There was very little activity :D

Might be an idea to use it more often, but I can't see it catching on much tbh.

Yeah, I get error messages half the time I try to connect as well.

Alan - May i suggest my Wycombe Wanderers article to be the featured article? :D

All pages that only contain screenshots are being deleted now - if there are any pages in particular that people want restored so Football Manager related information can be added to them either Alan or myself will sort it :)

We will be doing something with them when JJay re-uploads them to photobucket though :)

JJay's just changing the registration system Jammy. No idea when it'll be back up fully. Shouldn't be long I'd imagine.

Should all be back to normal, and Alan you have what you wanted :)

Yep, its back up and the registration thing works well - cheers JJay:)

Alan, what is the Community Portal to be used for?

And, say, I wanted to use it, what would I put etc.?