Football Manager Wiki

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've spent the last couple of hours just sorting out the site, removing unused files, categorizing pages that didn't have a category (all that need one have one now), fixing broken redirects, cutting down a couple of long pages (David Beckham in particular) and generally tidying it up a bit. Look in the recent edits, you'll see :D

-----------

But now I think we have to sort out the player profile side of the site.

Whilst it is fantastic to have so many pages on the site, I feel the fact that roughly 80% of them do not contain our own work dampens the feeling of success we can get from this.

I feel it would be much more pleasing for us and much more useful to readers if players profiles focus around the Football Manager Information. Of course, having some background information is very nice as it allows the reader to get to know the player.

However, I feel that as much of this background information as possible should be written by ourselves, or at least reworded from Wikipedia.

In my opinion it is better to have a short history of the player (much like the introduction on a normal Wikipedia page) and a normal FM info section and to generally have a shorter article that is related to the game than to have longer history with normal FM info.

Of course, this is not just me who is doing this site. So I'd appriciate as many comments as possible on this issue, especially from Stig who has put in a lot of work to these.

Cheers :thup: (By the way, if this doesnt make sense it's because its 3 in the morning and i'm knackered)

---------------------

It's almost half 3 so I'm off for the night - you lot can talk about the player profile stuff whilst I'm at work tomorrow ;)

Alan

The Feeder Clubs page was similar to the Affiliated Clubs page, so I deleted the Feeder Clubs one and put everything from that onto Affiliated Clubs. Affiliated Clubs. I've left it there for now, if you think it is best to have both.

Also, what are the categories Italy, Africa, League Guides, North America, Oceana, South America and Spain for? None of them are used for anything, so I assumed these weren't needed. What sort of page would be in the above categories?

Alan

The Feeder Clubs page was similar to the Affiliated Clubs page, so I deleted the Feeder Clubs one and put everything from that onto Affiliated Clubs. Affiliated Clubs. I've left it there for now, if you think it is best to have both.

Also, what are the categories Italy, Africa, League Guides, North America, Oceana, South America and Spain for? None of them are used for anything, so I assumed these weren't needed. What sort of page would be in the above categories?

Ah, fair enough - you can delete them then :thup:

Those categories haven't been sorted yet but they could be used in future. They're invisible atm anyway.

I would have no problem to sort this out over the summer Alan.
Ah good. Wasn't myself that pointed it out (jammy) but cheers anyway. Suppose you're all used to my long posts of rubbish here that you just assume it's me whenever there's a big wall of text :D

Ah, fair enough - you can delete them then :thup:

Those categories haven't been sorted yet but they could be used in future. They're invisible atm anyway.

Oh right - I was just looking through the unused categories page and there didn't seem to be a use for them. if they're invisible then no worries. I'll delete the Feeder Clubs page now, and do a redirect so Feeder club > Affiliated clubs.

Suppose you're all used to my long posts of rubbish here that you just assume it's me whenever there's a big wall of text :D

:D

Haha no worries mate :D

Just wondering if the site goes down all the time for any of you guys? Using firefox and it says "cannot find server" half the time I try to visit the wiki. I just tried it out on opera and I don't seem to be getting these problems anymore.

Must ask someone to edit the OP later on. Think I'll add a bit more to it before I ask - is there anything at all that you guys have seen my doing that you'd like to know how to do?

fmwikilogo-1.png?t=1247497182

At footballmanagerwiki.co.uk we pride ourselves on having some of the highest quality articles throughout the world of Football Manager. With guides on teams, graphics, editing and other essential Football Manager information, you can be sure that you will never need to look anywhere else. This site was set up by various members on the SI Forums to give fans of the game a chance to develop their knowledge on the game. For any questions regarding this website, feel free to ask in this thread.

We welcome all edits providing users are knowledgeable on the topic they are editing and all edits are completed with utmost maturity.

Signing up

It is necessary to sign up before making any edits at this time due to anonymous users abusing the system in the early days of this site.

Starting a new page

Type whatever you want to name the page in the search bar and hit 'go'. Then click 'create new page'.

Categorising Pages

After making your page, it's very important that you put the page in the correct category so that it will show up on the index page of the appropriate category. What you need to do to categorise your page is stick one (or more if necessary!) of these at the end of your page:

[[Category:Club Guides]]
[[Category:Player Profiles]]
[[Category:Nation Guides]]
[[Category:Player Profiles]]
[[Category:Non-Player Profiles]]
[[Category:Gameplay]]
[[Category:Graphics and Skinning]]
[[Category:Technical]]
[[Category:Stadia]]
[[Category:Game Releases]]
[[Category:Miscellaneous]]
[[Category:Challenges]]
[[Category:English Leagues]]
[[Category:UEFA Competitions]]
[[Category:Coca-Cola Championship - League 2 Clubs]]
[[Category:English Lower League Clubs]]
[[Category:English Premier League Clubs]]
[[Category:French Clubs]]
[[Category:Italian Clubs]]
[[Category:Other European Clubs]]

Stub Tags

These are to be used on pages you feel lack content in one way or another. To use them put {{stub}} on the page you feel should be tagged. Stub index.

Guides on making wiki pages

Player Profiles

Club Guides

Help with wiki commands

=Main Header=

This header is the same size as the page title header. I wouldn't use it unless the page requires quite a lot of sub-categories, like this page for example.

==Secondary Header==

Most commonly used header.

===Another smaller header===

Use this when making a point linked to the one made in the secondary header.

Inserting Tables

{| border="1"
|'''Team'''
|'''Date'''
|-
|Argentina  
|1 August
|-
|Barbados 
|19 September
|-
|}

If you were to type this into a wiki page, the result would be like so:

wiki-table.jpg?t=1247498512

Embedding Images

Not possible at this time due to lack of space. We will update this page when the issue has been resolved.

I'm going to ask CP to edit this into the OP now. Is there anything else you think should be added before I do so?

Great, PM sent.

With the announcement on FM10 coming in August, do you think we should run some kind of feature tracker? Looking at the amount of info we got into the page on one screenshot, I can see the FM10 page become really crowded soon enough. How about we open a new category going into detail on new FM10 features, and then have a normal list in the general FM10 page, without going into much detail. Just an idea, no idea if it'd actually work out. All I know is that if SI are going to be drip feeding features to random sites like last year it's going to be hard to find them all. Would be nice to have a list of them all on fm wiki imo.

out of interest, why does Marc Vivien Foe have a player profile? Seems a bit silly since he was never even on a Football Manager game. Don't know if you've got loads of players in there that haven't, but just noticed him and thought it was strange.

No idea tbh, there's a few others like that too I think. Don't think there's anything FM-related to do with Foe. Might be an idea to get rid of pages that we can't possibly add any FM info to? Quality over quantity imo.

No idea tbh, there's a few others like that too I think. Don't think there's anything FM-related to do with Foe. Might be an idea to get rid of pages that we can't possibly add any FM info to? Quality over quantity imo.

Or just give reference that the number x* is retired at Manchester City because of his death?

* I forget the number.

There isn't really anything FM related that we could put on any non-player profiles is there? May be better just getting rid of that category and moving the non-players with FM info into a new subcategory in player profiles?

Great, PM sent.

With the announcement on FM10 coming in August, do you think we should run some kind of feature tracker? Looking at the amount of info we got into the page on one screenshot, I can see the FM10 page become really crowded soon enough. How about we open a new category going into detail on new FM10 features, and then have a normal list in the general FM10 page, without going into much detail. Just an idea, no idea if it'd actually work out. All I know is that if SI are going to be drip feeding features to random sites like last year it's going to be hard to find them all. Would be nice to have a list of them all on fm wiki imo.

I agree that the page will get too big, personally I wouldn't want to read something too long on a website.

Maybe have a FM10 page (like the one that's already there) and then have a new FM10 features page.

Or we could move the Twittergate part onto it's own page and then just have the FM10 page for new features?

I agree that the page will get too big, personally I wouldn't want to read something too long on a website.

Maybe have a FM10 page (like the one that's already there) and then have a new FM10 features page.

Or we could move the Twittergate part onto it's own page and then just have the FM10 page for new features?

A features page wouldn't be much less crowded than leaving it in the FM10 page tbh. I think we should either leave it all in one page or open a new page for each new feature/groups of similar features.

To be honest I'm not keen on the idea of a new page for each feature. The amount you could say about each feature would be minimal, for example how much would we have been able to say about Transfer Rumours on 09? Personally I think it would be best to have a FM10 Features page, to have the big features with their own section and then have a last section for smaller features. I'll do an example for FM09.

---------------------------------------------------

Page Name - New Features on FM09

=3D Match Views=

(talk about 3D)

=Press Conferences=

(talk about PC's)

=x=

(talk about x [x=other big feature that I can't remember])

=Small additions=

(talk about small features added in)

I can't remember what was new for FM09 so the above is very rough, but I feel that would be best. I don't think it would be too long either.

Regarding the wikipedia copied articles;

My mum works in a financial advisors, so of course she has a lot of solicitors and legal boffs in her work place. I've spoken to her about the articles copied from wikipedia and she said that, tomorrow at work, she will ask one of the directors and get their advice on what we should do.

I'll let you know what they say when my mum tells me, should be mid day tomorrow sort of thing (about 1:00 - 2:00 GMT [Neil, I want your job;)]).

If they say it should be alright I still think we should cut them down a bit, maybe make them one paragraph.

Alan

Just spent the last hour doing what I asked you to do, lazy bugger ;D

-----------------------------------------

All player profiles that are 100% original content are in their own category called 'Completed Player Profiles'.

The player profiles that are not done are in the normal Player Profile category. We should to try and rewrite as many as we can.

Personally I think the best way to do this is to write one or two lines of history, basically introducing the player, saying their name, club and nationality.

Then put ==Football Manager Information== and under that write a few lines about a player in Football Manager. I did quite a few for Arsenal yesterday, for example Vito Mannone.

-------------------------------

There are huge amounts of players who are in the normal player profile category, so I'm sure everyone could do at least a few players. The players we can't get FM info for I think we should delete, so we don't have non-FM info on them.

You may notice that I have deleted a few player profiles. These are the ones that had absolutely nothing on them except the player profile tag and a screenshot that wasn't working properly. There may be some more of these left in there, I only checked about 75% of all players, if there is just let me or Alan know and one of us will delete that.

Right, I'm boring myself. That'll be all then :)

HERE IS THE COMPLETED PLAYER PROFILE CATEGORY - if a player you know reasonable amounts about isn't in there then you can make/develop a page on them ;)

I spent a few hours today and yesterday doing a massive cleanup of the site. You'd be surprised how much crap builds up after a few months, there was loads of stuff I found that we don't even use.

I've made a list of a few badges we need for club pages. If anyone could give me a hand that'd be great, if not I'll just go ahead and do it myself as usual.

No idea about the wonderkids thing tbh.

I spent a few hours today and yesterday doing a massive cleanup of the site. You'd be surprised how much crap builds up after a few months, there was loads of stuff I found that we don't even use.

I've made a list of a few badges we need for club pages. If anyone could give me a hand that'd be great, if not I'll just go ahead and do it myself as usual.

No idea about the wonderkids thing tbh.

Post up the ones we need and I'll give you a hand with them if you like - we have a little space now as we deleted those that weren't being used don't we?

ac milan
ajax
aalborg (AB)
ascoli
athletic bilbao
barnsley
birmingham
blackpool
bolton
brighton
burnley
carlisle
Castilla
cheltenham town
chester city
coventry
crystal palace
crystal palace baltimore
derby
barca b
fluminense
hemel hempstead town
histon fc
inter
ipswich
joinville fc
la galaxy
leeds
leicester
luton
mk dons
norwich
notts county
oldham
psv
port vale
portsmouth
preston
scunthorpe
sheffield united
torquay
walsall
wrexham

Yeah we have a decent amount of space now.

Archived