Football Manager Wiki

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You will notice that the images won't load - this is because I am awaiting the old images folder which I am expecting tomorrow (and disappointed that I haven't had this soon! Glad we're moving now :))

No need to upload the old images as I will do this as soon as I receive that folder

Yeah looks like it was my cache and it was loading locally :( The reason it didn't update within the 24 hours I said last time was because I stupidly put a comma instead of a period in the DNS and the change was rejected. This has been fixed now but at least the temporary url will be of use until tomorrow :)

From player profiles:

Juan Pablo Sorín

Jérémy Toulalan

Kaká (database error)

Krisztián Németh (database error)

Luka Modric (database error)

Marc-Vivien Foé

Marek Štěch

Mariano Pernía

Martin Skrtel (database error)

Matías Fernández

Milivoje Novakovič

Márton Fulop

Nemanja Vidic (database error)

Oier Olazábal

Owain Fôn Williams

Pedro Rodríguez Ledesma

Petr Cech (database error)

Przemysław Kaźmierczak (database error - can't remember his name)

Péter Gulácsi

Péter Kurucz

Rogério Ceni

Rubén Miño Peralta

Sami Hyypiä

Saulius Mikoliūnas

Sergi Barjuán

Sergio Agüero

Tabare Viudez

Thiago Alcántara

Thomas Müller

Tó Madeira

Víctor Sánchez Mata

Víctor Vázquez Solsona

Zdenek Grygera

Zoltán Gera

Zoltán Harsányi (database error)

Álvaro Arbeloa

Éver Banega

All profiles are OK. It's just the page titles.

I have added back the ParserFunctions extension - its obviously not converted backwards though thus the issue.

The images are being uploaded - but on a 3g internet stick slower than I would like - 90mb of them! I am getting through them and I have this week off work to focus a little more on it (although the mrs is off too and giving me a hard time!)

I'm adding in some 'Most Wanted' pages to try and lower the amount of dead links - if anyone wants to develop these I'd be v. grateful.

I've deleted some of the dead links for you. :thup:

Stig, do you think we should have sub-categories for player profiles now? If so, how do you think they should be sorted?

Yes I think sub-categories are needed for player profiles now. I think by league would be OK atm.

If you want I can sort that out after you have made the sub-categories.

Just a thought: Perhaps it'd be easier to go by nationality/region instead of leagues? I mean, because of constant transfers we'd have a lot of work to do re-categorising pages.

Or we could always do both I suppose. What do you think?

Could categorise by region then by leagues but only update that by patch. Was also thinking of adding player histories for each player via an FM screenshot - any objections?

Could categorise by region then by leagues but only update that by patch. Was also thinking of adding player histories for each player via an FM screenshot - any objections?

Yeah, that's probably the best idea. Do you have many profiles on players playing outside of Europe?

I'll re-name the European players category to Europe now.

All sounds good to me :thup:

About 30 I think atm.

Fair enough.

So, just so I'm not misunderstanding, this is how you want it to be like: Region playing in > Country playing in > League > Team (when we reach the stage where we have enough profiles)

Yes that's right. Though I like the system normal wiki has for players regarding those that have played for clubs being in a category but above system is fine for now.

Yes that's right. Though I like the system normal wiki has for players regarding those that have played for clubs being in a category but above system is fine for now.

I'll make categories for clubs that have enough player profiles (lets say five?) shortly.

I hate to sound like a spoilsport, as this is an excellent idea that looks great. But there is one problem. I had a quick look around and it seems that a lot of articles have been copied and pasted from Wikipedia. This in itself is not a problem. Wikipedia licences its content under the GFDL, which does allow people to reuse its content for any purpose. However, it requires attribution. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Reusing_Wikipedia_content for a brief overview of rules for reusing content, and an example notice that can be used to fulfil the licensing requirements.

Not saying that the Wikimedia Foundation is going to sue you into Oblivion if you don't comply with the licensing requirements (they probably won't), but still.

(FWIW, the articles I looked at via random page that were copied from Wikipedia were Carl Pentney, Gabriel Heinze (which semi-complies), and Federico Fazio).

The best way to go about it would be probably be by creating a template for article creators to add to articles which they use from Wikipedia.

The alternative, I suppose, is to just completely rewrite all WP-copied articles from scratch. This is obviously also the best option if you don't fancy licensing your articles under the same terms as WP's articles (i.e. free for anyone to reuse and/or modify for any purpose).

If you need any help or have questions, feel free to ask, but it should be simple enough.

Again, I don't mean to sound like a spoilsport, as it's a great-looking site.

Thanks for the link Dreaded Walrus, it's good to actually know where we stand on this.

I think almost all player profiles are copied from Wikipedia, and I have often said where I stand on this.

We need to make sure we go by the book with this - we wouldn't want the site to be closed down or anything (unlikely, yes, but still possible).

Obviously it has to be a team decision, but I think that if we were considerin rewriting them completely then the best option would be to only write a brief part about them in real life and more about them in FM.

:)

I don't think there are any other articles that have been copied from there have there? Actually, some competition guides maybe?

I don't think there are any other articles that have been copied from there have there? Actually, some competition guides maybe?

Indirectly, so are the club guides taken from here in that some of the info in the original threads on this forum was copy and pasted from wikipedia.

I don't write up the player profiles, nor do I have much knowledge of wikipedia's policy (although I will look into it now) so I can't really comment on this.

What does it take to comply with wikipedia's policy, Dreaded Walrus? Is it just to say that the information was taken from wikipedia, or am I missing something. IIRC some of the profiles already have that, but I'm not certain.

Totally agree Jammy and Alan.

Dreaded Walrus - All of the player profiles that I have done (that's most of them) have been either copied or been modified from Wikipedia and whilst a good number have been creditted with recognision that this, that has not been the case with them all so I will make sure that these rules are followed. Thank you for highlighting the potential problem.

I did random page four times. Three of them were players, and the fourth one was Chile, which isn't from WP.

A quick look at some competition articles (Premier League and Championship) and they aren't from WP.

To be honest guy, on WP there's actually a procedure to follow for sites which use WP content without following the licensing guidelines, which is mentioned on this page. Usually what happens is a standard email is sent out to whoever owns the site, informing them about the violation (because most times people are using the content in good faith and just don't realise they aren't meeting the requirements for attribution), and there's a couple of follow up letters and stuff sent out weeks later. I've done a few of these myself. The actual time from first email sent to site getting taken down is an absolute minimum of six weeks, but usually people respond to the first email saying that they didn't realise, and either remove the content or (better) simply link back to Wikipedia and stuff. If you ever needed help with complying, you'd almost certainly be helped with creating an appropriate template or whatever (hell, I'd help you with that stuff if you wanted).

So I wouldn't say there's anything to worry about, and certainly in the short term there's no rush, so there's no need to go blanking content from Wikipedia or anything like that. Just have a discussion to see what you all want to do.

I do agree with you that the best use for an FMWiki would be for focussing on in-game stuff. I see that there's been some screenshots uploaded lately, and the Federico Fazio page had in-game information added by SCIAG, and that's really what people would be going to an FMWiki for in my opinion. Obviously, this has probably already been said, but after a good few months away from this place I hadn't looked through the whole thread. :)

Thanks for that. :) I take it I can use the template on other pages now, yes?

Also, are there any templates or anything similar that you'd recommend us using? Not for licensing agreements, but just to improve the layout of the site.

Archived