Dave's Guide to League Swap/Super Leagues

Dave Fairbairn

Has anyone tried to swap the USA leagues out with another league? On FM 08 if you tried to do it you couldn't buy players because of some things that were hard coded into the game for clubs in the USA.
Here's a boiled down lsit of steps I used to swap the MLS into Norway - this worked for FM08, and I have not tried it on 09, so YMMV:

In order to create this DB I have basically swapped American teams into Norway's

infrastructure. I also had to change the nationality of the teams to Canada in order

to further avoid MLS-type restrictions on transfers and players.

HOW TO PLAY

Make sure the database has been expanded in in your data directory!

(1) Start WWSM08

(2) Start a new game

(3) Pick the "PLA_2008" database

(4) Select "United States" **with the Canadian Flag** as a country

(5) Select other countries (except for Sweden and the USA) as you wish

(6) Start the game!

DETAILS

Changed Norway competitions to United States, North America

Swapped teams into each of the playable divisions

Set all clubs nations back to United States

Set last division and position for all clubs

Deleted (norwegian) competition history

Changed the TLAs of Norway to USA and Unites States to NOR

[NOTE: The above steps are teh standard six steps from "Dave's Guide"]

Created 100 more American soccer teams - basically to satisfy my own taste, this includes:

chose new cities and nicknames

edited reputation to match appropriate competition level

edited/created kits (all but original MLS)

added team budgets ($100M for PLA, $10M for Am.Champ., $1M or $100K for 2nd Div.)

added future income equal to original budgets for financial security

added stadiums or increased capacity of existing stadiums to match competition level

adjusted attendances appropriate of competition level

randomly made a few teams Public Limited Companies

adjusted ticket prices appropriate of competition level

released all american players on all american teams not in the MLS and spread then out

among all non-MLS teams to fill rosters, somewhat.

removed team affiliations and relationships

Changed the TLAs of United States to CAN and Canada to NOR

Edited the names and reputation of the competitions, including sponsorships

Edited the names of awards, added new awards, including sponsorships

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could anyone help me with this? I wanted to run a one-season experiment where the Premier League was renamed the County Championship, consisting of teams of regionally-born players. E.g. A Yorkshire team consisting of Paul Robinson, Aaron Lennon, etc. For better or worse (and it now seems worse!), I deleted the Premier League teams from the database, without really thinking of the consequences. The database loads, but in mid-July the game crashes.

I assume his has something to do with the cup competions- both domestic and continental. I have edited the clubs' former league position so that the best team on paper finished 1st the previous season, and the worst finished 3rd in the CCC, and so on. Another problem is that one of the teams I've created represent Glasgow, and I've classed them as a Scottish club- I'm guessing this might cause major issues?

Via the editor I have chosen four clubs to enter the Champions League, and another four to enter the UEFA Cup. I have not entered any data into the coefficients field- could this be a likely problem? Do I need to resurrect the older clubs in some form?

I've spent ages researching this, but perhaps am a bit naive when using the editor, so any advice would be very welcome.

There's no secret, you just swap each player and team(and every other thing, like towns, stadiums etc) to the other nation by hand. It will take a VERY long time, but it does indeed work.

i did this with scotland in fm 08 but i had a few problems:

scottish staff had knowledge of some other countries that they didnt previously have.

also players days to gain nationality was messed up because of the way it is calculated in fm,

you see, taking marvin andrews as an example;

his contract with his club at the time started in 2007 (or thereabouts cant remember exactly) so the days between that date and the current date in the game counted towards his days spent in scotland.

however the time before the start of his contract (that was spent in scotland) was listed as being spent in the country i changed it to. I dont know how this data is stored in the game but icouldnt find a way to fix it.

I dont know if this is the case in Fm 09, fmbosnia have you noticed anything like this in your game?

I've changed the Scottish team so that they are English, but the game still crashes on July 17th. What am I doing wrong?

have you set their previous league to being the one that they are now in and their previous position to that of the team you swapped them with?

i've swapped malaysian clubs with australian (including lower league teams) so i could have a two-tiered australian competition. everything works fine at the start, and i can go through the friendly matches, but when i get to the first competitive game (in a pre-season cup competition), the 'Preview' screen has no details of my opposition and i am unable to continue from this point. does anybody have any ideas?

have you set their previous league to being the one that they are now in and their previous position to that of the team you swapped them with?

Afraid I already have, yes. I'm still fairly sure my problems might have something to do with Continental competition but any advice is welcome. Cheers anyway.

The game may be crashing when trying to find the Champions League holders to give the highest seeding to. As you deleted the CL holders (Manchester United) from the database, it crashed.

Try setting the previous winners of the CL to one of your newly created teams (one that you have set to enter the CL). This probably means editing the history of the competition as well as giving the 2008 CL title to the new team in its honors section.

i've just done the same thing as my previous attempt with the south korean league instead of malaysia and i'm getting the same result. is this something i'm doing wrong or is it just not possible to do?

Is there anyway to solve the fixtures-problem. I'm trying to swapp wales with america. I have changed the TLA, and swapped all the competitions. Because of the MLS transfer rules I'm not going to swapp the teams but edit every single club. I started by changing all the welsh clubs nation to USA, and now the fixturelist wont show. I know this has been a problem but does anyone have a solution.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got an idea of making a league myself and swapping it with the Brazilian leagues. Does anyone know how many teams there are in Brazil? I know its a mammoth task but I would like to know just how mammoth it would be, and I know that a few people have created superleagues in Brazil.

Thanks

Cheers! I had a quick gander and holidayed through a season and my fears were realised that I would have to edit EACH team (because of promotions / relegations etc.) so it would be near 1000 teams. I know I have a lot of free time but that is too much, especially when I had to create fresh teams and get my head round the state championships malarkey.

• 1 month later...
Cheers! I had a quick gander and holidayed through a season and my fears were realised that I would have to edit EACH team (because of promotions / relegations etc.) so it would be near 1000 teams. I know I have a lot of free time but that is too much, especially when I had to create fresh teams and get my head round the state championships malarkey.

So I'm about to pull together a US league for FM09, and was contemplating using Germany as the swap target. However, I took a look at their structure in this year's game and it looks like it won't allow for much turnover in the lower leagues -- and if I'm gonna waste my time editing 700 clubs, I want it to count.

I'll take a look at Brazil and see if the play goes a bit deeper -- might be more up my alley. In any event, I don't anticipate editing players, but I'll be more than happy to share the final product if I can get it to work and if there's interest.

So I'm about to pull together a US league for FM09, and was contemplating using Germany as the swap target. However, I took a look at their structure in this year's game and it looks like it won't allow for much turnover in the lower leagues -- and if I'm gonna waste my time editing 700 clubs, I want it to count.

I'll take a look at Brazil and see if the play goes a bit deeper -- might be more up my alley. In any event, I don't anticipate editing players, but I'll be more than happy to share the final product if I can get it to work and if there's interest.

Trying to swap the US League out will always hit a massive roadblock: The clubs won't be able to buy players from other clubs. It's some issue with the hard coding. I think some people have gotten around by using Canada or something, but I'm not sure about that.

• 4 weeks later...

Jeff,

You won't be able to perform a straight swap of the US and any other country because of the transfer rules that bind USA based teams. UncleSam is right on - you'll need to change the nationality of all USA teams to another country first (I use Canada) and then swap the teams with the other league.

For what it's worth, I was never able to get a swap of USA-based teams with another country to work as well as it did in FM08 due to the changes in database structure between 08 and 09, so I'd advise against attempting a swap - you're in for a world of hurt.

My FM08 version of the Premier League of America can be downloaded here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/66994627/PLA_2008.zip

Trying to swap the US League out will always hit a massive roadblock: The clubs won't be able to buy players from other clubs. It's some issue with the hard coding. I think some people have gotten around by using Canada or something, but I'm not sure about that.

There is another option too. If you delete the original MLS clubs and add them again, they will get a new unique ID and the hard coded issues are then gone. ANd you could buy players as the clubs in the rest of the world can.

There is another option too. If you delete the original MLS clubs and add them again, they will get a new unique ID and the hard coded issues are then gone. ANd you could buy players as the clubs in the rest of the world can.

But will the youth academies produce newgens?

Yes, worked fine when I did that.But then I deleted the academies that are in the game as separate clubs, and added youth academies for the main club instead. Unfortunately I lost my DB when my computer crashed so I can't upload it.

Jeff,

You won't be able to perform a straight swap of the US and any other country because of the transfer rules that bind USA based teams. UncleSam is right on - you'll need to change the nationality of all USA teams to another country first (I use Canada) and then swap the teams with the other league.

For what it's worth, I was never able to get a swap of USA-based teams with another country to work as well as it did in FM08 due to the changes in database structure between 08 and 09, so I'd advise against attempting a swap - you're in for a world of hurt.

My FM08 version of the Premier League of America can be downloaded here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/66994627/PLA_2008.zip

Thanks, ptakers...I was contemplating doing exactly that, though I've lost some momentum for the moment as work's been a bit busy. Question for you: instead of using Canada, do you know if one could use one of the 'extinct' nations instead (e.g. East Germany), renaming it and dumping it into CONCACAF?

The bummer about all of this is that I don't think there's any way to get the league into regional competition, like the SuperLiga or whatever it's called this year, but there you go.

Yes, worked fine when I did that.But then I deleted the academies that are in the game as separate clubs, and added youth academies for the main club instead. Unfortunately I lost my DB when my computer crashed so I can't upload it.

What about the CONCACAF Champions League, will the winners of the new MLS still qualify for it?

Thanks, ptakers...I was contemplating doing exactly that, though I've lost some momentum for the moment as work's been a bit busy. Question for you: instead of using Canada, do you know if one could use one of the 'extinct' nations instead (e.g. East Germany), renaming it and dumping it into CONCACAF?

The bummer about all of this is that I don't think there's any way to get the league into regional competition, like the SuperLiga or whatever it's called this year, but there you go.

That may work - never tried it - but one of the changes I made when using Canada was to designate Canada as being in Europe as part of UK & Ireland so that The USA teams qualified for all of the European competitions. It didn't take the first year, but in the second year the teams started popping up in the early rounds of all the Euro comps.

Suggestions anyone, I have created a new league using the malaysian League as a base, I then added them to Europe and started the game, so now there is an extra nation in qualifying for the Uefa Caup, when it gets around to the second season all the Qualifying rounds run fine, but it gets to the group stage and doesn't work. It just stopped making a draw for the UEFA Cup Group Stage.

Anyone know what can cause this? I am looking at it being the fault of there now being an extra nation in Europe, but it did produce 48 teams for the round, which is 4x12 so thats not the problem. Any other ideas?

What about Toronto FC and the Canadian Championship?

I did the same with Toronto deleted the and added a new Toronto FC in the league I swapped into the Canadian one. I'm not 100 % sure but I didn't get a Canadian team into the Champions Cup if I remember correctly. The other Canadian teams that plays in the US leagues were also moved into that competition.

• 2 weeks later...

hi i swapped slovakia to mauritius, when i start a new game under africa i still find slovakia there, what have i done wrong please?

1. i cant find any fixture and results on the main page, is there something i need to change in the editor for that?

2. i cant play any matches with the team, i have to go on holiday for that, what have i done wrong please?

thank you

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm really interested in creating a DB with several continental leagues (i.e. European Premier Division, African Premier Division etc), nation cups + continental cups plus a club world knockout cup, but I am really struggling to understand the principles of super leagues etc. Would anyone be able to explain them?

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys

i am swapping the Israeli league to create a Mauritian(africa) Premier League and the National League....And in the Premier League, one of the team is still playing europa league instead of CAF(even after changing all the history) Why there is nothing display in the fixtures and results?

can someone help me please

thank you

What do you do when you just want to add teams of another nationality to a competition. In my case I have added Rangers and Celtic to the English premier league as I've posted elswhere on this forum. They are both listed as Scottish, and doesent qualify for Europe even if they win the league. Is there any way to solve this problem without changing them to English teams?

(The same goes for Cardiff and Swansea by the way)

• 6 months later...

Archived