Dave's Guide to League Swap/Super Leagues

Dave Fairbairn

Uhh... before I start, I'd just like to say that this trick won't work with all leagues and sometimes the editor breaks things without explanation. I suggest you make plenty of backups and that you save and check(by starting a new game) that your database is in good working order at regular intervils if you are doing big edits.

The nation we are replacing is England. The nation we are replacing it with is Japan. Keep in mind, these are just examples; I know replacing England with Japan makes no sense at all before pointing that out.

1. Filter all English competitions and change their nation to Japan and continent to Asia. You may want to rename them as well. Do the same for the Japanese competitions, too.

2. Swap all the teams into the divisions you wish to put them into. DO NOT change the number of teams in any of the playable leagues, this will cause the game not to detect them on start up.

3. Set all clubs nations back to how they should be as the editor also swaps nation when you swap 2 teams. This is a problem with the editor.

4. Set all "last division" and "last positions" for the Japanese teams so that they were in the (former)English leagues last season. This is to avoid crashing when the game attempts to seed the FA Cup and League Cup.

5. Delete all competition history, then set at least last seasons history for the Premiership and FA Cup so the game does not crash when attempting to set up the Charity Shield. You can add as much history as you want for any competition, but this is optional.

6. Go to England and change it's TLA(Three Letter Abbreviation) to JPN, then go to Japan and set it's TLA to ENG.

7. See if your new league works!

Some of these steps(such as TLA and competition nation/continent) do not need to be done when making a super league, but you can if you want.

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Dave Fairbairn:

4. Set all "last division" and "last positions" for the Japanese teams so that they were in the (former)English leagues last season. This is to avoid crashing when the game attempts to seed the FA Cup and League Cup.

5. Delete all competition history, then set at least last seasons history for the Premiership and FA Cup so the game does not crash when attempting to set up the Charity Shield. You can add as much history as you want for any competition, but this is optional.

Would either of the two things above be why I would happen to get a crash on August 1st when I try to do some team swapping (within the same league)?

Been trying occasionally to make a database where, for example, I swap the English Prem teams to the Conference (and Conf to Prem League), English Championship teams to League Two (basically invert the teams from top to bottom, from EPL to Conference). And I've tried to do this with other leagues, as well.

For example the Bundesliga teams to the German Regional divisions, Serie A teams to Serie C1, etc.

Whenever I try this, the game starts up fine (and all leagues are selectable, so the correct # of teams are in each league), but I get a crash on August 1st (even if I try to holiday through that date).

Sounds like you need to go through and do last position and last division updates. For instance, all Premiership/1st div teams should come in at FA Cup round 3, and all 2nd/3rd div teams come in a FA Cup round 1. Since the last division/positions will clash with what the game is telling it, it might be the reason it crashes. Also, it might be a good idea to set up continental qualifiers and stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the guide. I'm trying to switch the American and Mexican leagues around (turning the MLS into a powerhouse sans salary cap, in other words) and am running into some problemos.

- All Mexican competitions changed to American, vice versa

- All Teams switched, changed to appropriate nation, last division/position adjusted

- Cleared histories, added 1 year to each history

- Nation TLAs swapped

Yet the game crashes hardcore on September 1st. Any ideas? Its just not meant to be perhaps, or maybe its something to do with continental competition. Thanks

The Mexican league has the Interliga, which is the cause of the crash. Colombia works and is a similar league structure to Mexico.

The Icelandic problem sounds like you have attempted to change the number of teams in a division. If the amount of teams in each playable division is not correct(unplayable leagues also have a minimum team(it can be more, but not less) requirement, too) the league system will not show up.

I've tried switching one team at the time and it worked fine until I switched the fourth team.. the it would show up anymore..

Then I starte over switching other teams.. this time I got to the 5th team and then it didnt work.. So the number of teams hasnt changed at all icon_frown.gif

Simply dont understand what is wrong..

I succesfully swapped the faroese team into the Irish leagues and the game works.. until 27th. April 2006.. then it crashes icon_frown.gif

What can make this happen? I've tried looking in all competitions too see what happens at that date, but nothing special seems to happen.. icon_confused.gif

Originally posted by Dave Fairbairn:

The Mexican league has the Interliga, which is the cause of the crash. Colombia works and is a similar league structure to Mexico.

Ahh, thanks. I did it all up with Columbia and it works magically. Just one problem - no foreign transfers work. For example, in January, if I want to bid for Robinho, my only options are trial-loan. Any ideas?

No big deal, I like it as is, as well. (though it might be fun to hoarde Brazilian stars in the league!) Thanks in advance

Well for the Ireland problem, as I said, some leagues just don't work and Ireland is one of them. It crashes when trying to set up the All Ireland Cup. I'd suggest using maybe Malaysia unless you have a problem with the 5 foreigner limit.

As for the no foreigner thing? I have no idea... I've done a league swap with Colombia before and it worked fine. Could be a problem with the American teams? I've got no real knowledge of the MLS, but doesn't it involve a lot of strange(by football terms) rules? If so, that may be causing conflict with the game somewhere along the line.

Hmm it did this with the Mexican swap too (prior to crash, of course). I'm thinking you're right, the MLS has weird foreign player rules (like 3 senior internationals, 7 total internationals, etc), maybe that's what is causing issues.

A quick question.

I have swapped the unplayable New Zealand league for the Singapore league, and everything works fine. It's just i want to increase the standard for all the teams so thought about upping the competition level.

And that got me wondering what competition level actual does? (When editing the league details)

I have had a look at the top leagues around the world and they seem to all have set as 0. while the cup competitions are all set to 20.

Its obvious what reputation does just not sure about competition level?

I have now done a couple of successful edits, I have swapped Romaina with Wales (so you have more than 1 Welsh Division) and used Hungary to make a Celtic Super league (Northern Ireland, Wales, Scotland and Ireland with Celtic and Rangers in the Premiership) and I only have one problem, no reserve or youth leagues?????

Any ideas why?

Do I need to change the country of the teams???

Originally posted by Kizza:

I have now done a couple of successful edits, I have swapped Romaina with Wales (so you have more than 1 Welsh Division) and used Hungary to make a Celtic Super league (Northern Ireland, Wales, Scotland and Ireland with Celtic and Rangers in the Premiership) and I only have one problem, no reserve or youth leagues?????

Any ideas why?

Do I need to change the country of the teams???

The two leagues you have swapped you need to go into the national team settings and swap over the "3 letter name".

Hello!I'm trying to make Super League (England) Everything is OK? but where are two bugs:

1. Only English Reserve and U-18 in that tournaments

2. Only English clubs promote to the lowest league. icon_confused.gif can you help me?

P.S. sorry for bad english-I'm from Ukraine

Unfortunately this is a problem I am unable to get around.

If you use a league such as Scotland, Holland or South Korea where no teams get relegated you will lose the teams getting promoted/relegated issue, but you will still get the non-league teams from Scotland/Holland/Korea in the cups, and no reserve/U18s.

There is a small way around the Reserve/U18 thing, but it will require a good computer. That is if you load the leagues of all the nations you have represented in your super league, the teams will be placed into those reserve/U18s. For example, if you use Scotland as your super league and it contains Liverpool and Man Utd, then load England as well, Liverpool and Man Utd reserves/U18s will appear in the England reserves/U18s.

Dave --

This is a great outline to swapping leagues -- thanks for your work.

One question, if you would -- I'm working on an expanded, fictional US ladder league and planning on swapping with Germany to accomodate my ambitious plans for an American league. The question, then: I'm concerned about possible conflicts with the respective contiental competitions that American and German clubs are put into; is there any action that I should take to prevent the game from throwing a fit when it attempts to seed for the Champions League/UEFA Cup/CONCACAF Champions' Cup?

I assume that swapping the respective domestic cups will prevent the game from crashing as long as I take the time to set the last year positions correctly, but would also welcome input into that issue as well seeing how there are two domestic cups in Germany and one in the US.

Thanks again for your help...if there are any American daydreamers who want to help beta test this database, I expect to have it fleshed out in less than a month.

Well, it doesn't matter. The continental qualifiers are taken by nation of the team, not the league. For instance, one time outta interest I put a South Korean team into the Premiership and madesure they won by means of match fixing andthey qualified for the Asian Champions League.

And yeah, you've gotta swap all the cups as well, unless you'll have problems.

Another note about cups/unplayable divisions:

If you want to make the American cup have an added spice by having "invites" to teams from nearby countries, if you add teams from say Mexico and Canada to unplayable divisions, they will get drawn in the cup if the cup uses teams from that division, but they won't get promoted due to nation mismatch so it won't look like they're out of place.

Guest robbarton

Jeffy --

I have started making a new American league system with promotion/relegation and a few Canadian clubs, would love to have a go at testing your database.

Rob

So i'm thinking of starting a new sign-up

I will create a world league, not the one you can download, a super one

It'll have 6 leagues overall with teams coming from all over the world, it will be based on the english set-up, of rules, ie promotion, relegation etc

The Teams will be selected by reputation, but there geographical position will aslso be taken into consideration, as we want to make sure this is a world league

Theres a chance i will include a divisional cup, but im not sure if i can do that, though

But there will definitely be an overall competition, called the world club cup or something like that

And there is a possibility i will make another cup competition

The Team i start will start in the fifth tier, and there will be 23 players

What do you guys think?

Its only at the idea stage atm

I was wondering if i could start this sign-up, because there isnt enough interest in my sign-up as i already said.

I have already selected the teams that are going to be in the leagues, so theres a bit of work left to do, and i have a list of about 13 people who i want to join this game, and who have expressed an interest, so if this is approved today, i will start a thread for it, and get the other ten people to join, do random positions, and let people decide on their stats, things like that.

Any advice, much is need please

Originally posted by you'll_never_walk_alone:

So i'm thinking of starting a new sign-up

I will create a world league, not the one you can download, a super one

It'll have 6 leagues overall with teams coming from all over the world, it will be based on the english set-up, of rules, ie promotion, relegation etc

The Teams will be selected by reputation, but there geographical position will aslso be taken into consideration, as we want to make sure this is a world league

Theres a chance i will include a divisional cup, but im not sure if i can do that, though

But there will definitely be an overall competition, called the world club cup or something like that

And there is a possibility i will make another cup competition

The Team i start will start in the fifth tier, and there will be 23 players

What do you guys think?

Its only at the idea stage atm

I was wondering if i could start this sign-up, because there isnt enough interest in my sign-up as i already said.

I have already selected the teams that are going to be in the leagues, so theres a bit of work left to do, and i have a list of about 13 people who i want to join this game, and who have expressed an interest, so if this is approved today, i will start a thread for it, and get the other ten people to join, do random positions, and let people decide on their stats, things like that.

Any advice, much is needed please

Originally posted by tOMMY HelleR... GO VICTORY!!:

i swapped the Australian league and a few other asian leagues with the english leagues (all) and it all worked fine for a few months in to the game but when i reached a certain date (4th decemebr) it crashed. Any ideas?

i started new games but the same problem kept occuring.

England requires at least 100(not sure on the exact number) teams from that nation to be present in "A Lower Division" competition so that it has teams for the FA Cup qualifying rounds.

For example, if the league's current nation is Australia, you'll need like 100 teams from Australia in "A Lower Division".

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Dave for this guide, it's great.

Still I can't get my Finnish league (swapped with Premiership) to work properly. My problem is Finnish Cup (English Cup). It freezes always after second round. Everything else works fine but for some reason third round never comes.

I'd be delighted if somebody could solve my problem.

My thinking here is that possibly that there's not enough teams in Europe? But that doesn't count for the FA Cup, as it's only the league cup second round where teams in Europe aren't entered.

Only possible thought is that there's a conflict somewhere.

I've been looking for something like this for ages. Always been annoyed at the restrictions (however realistic) placed on the A-League and wanted to switch it with the Turkish league, but had issues with the season never starting. Will step by step it based on your guide and see what I can come up with.

Quick question. I'm making an African superleague using the South African league. Everything is fine but i'd like for teams from a specific country to actually sign their own players (instead of all of them signing South Africans)

Would it work to just set the team's country as their real one, instead of South Africa? (i hope this is making sense, its late, haha) Thanks in advance

You'd have to use a different league to do that as teams get relegated from the South African first division. Any team who's nation does not match the nation of the league will never be promoted again, just as any team in a lower division at the start of the game that has a nation that does not match the division will never get promoted.

Holland, Scotland and South Korea are the only leagues which can be swapped which no teams get relegated, therefore negating this issue.

I managed to successfully switch Australia and Turkey, even to the extent that it 'unlocked' Australian U18s and U20s competition. Had no issues with it until the Australian Cup was set to start - at which point it threw some Australian clubs (now in the Turkish league) up against Turkish clubs and crashed. I think I could fix that with some tinkering, though.

Was awesome. Had a eighty six team, three tier Australian league with no annoying salary cap, a six man foreign player cap, and national junior comps! It's like what Australia should have! :-p

Archived