Pavel Pogrebnyak

Why did Football Manager change its name from Championship Manager?

69 posts in this topic

Wasn't the match engine from the game Kick Off, published by Anco I think? You got to control one player ( the player manager). It was very good at the time as I recall.

CM is only the name,FM is a game(at least used to be)

[quote name='TWSOIA']CM is only the name,FM is a game(at least used to be)[/QUOTE]
... and Sega rather than SI own the game now.

For the record the original Player Manager from 1990 was great and yes saviocm, it used the original kick off engine. I can't comment on any of the more recent incarnations, like the 99 version posted above, but I'd imagine that they aren't very good, much like the Sensi games post 1997.

Look, I'm sure the new CM will look very pretty and everything, but it still won't make up for the fact that the database will suck, like it has last year and the year before that and so on.

How do you know that it will suck,i'm not saying it won't,but the demo will decide how good it is,you honestly think that they are developing it much longer to give us completely the same product like last editions that were pretty bad?It maybe will be the ond of the series,but it can be a new beggining for them!

[quote name='muncherdave']For the record the original Player Manager from 1990 was great and yes saviocm, it used the original kick off engine. I can't comment on any of the more recent incarnations, like the 99 version posted above, but I'd imagine that they aren't very good, much like the Sensi games post 1997.

Look, I'm sure the new CM will look very pretty and everything, but it still won't make up for the fact that the database will suck, like it has last year and the year before that and so on.[/QUOTE]

The original Player Manager was brilliant. Started off as an all action midfielder then as you got older (bout 40ish) started playing up front because your player could only move for about 5 mins of the game.....excellent stuff!!

Would love to have a go of it again!

[quote name='TWSOIA']How do you know that it will suck,i'm not saying it won't,but the demo will decide how good it is,you honestly think that they are developing it much longer to give us completely the same product like last editions that were pretty bad?It maybe will be the ond of the series,but it can be a new beggining for them![/QUOTE]

call me cynical but I doubt they can turn everything around in the space of a year and a bit. just look at the write-up they gave it, all they say is backed up by a huge database. they could claim their database is huge already, it doesn't say they are making any strides to improve it. that's what i call reading between the lines. at least they admit their games have been mediocre though :)

[quote name='rmfarey']The original Player Manager was brilliant. Started off as an all action midfielder then as you got older (bout 40ish) started playing up front because your player could only move for about 5 mins of the game.....excellent stuff!!

Would love to have a go of it again![/QUOTE]

abandonia.com has Player Manager 2 on it that you could download. I've only ever played the original but I'll give the sequel a bash tonight I think

[quote name='muncherdave']call me cynical but I doubt they can turn everything around in the space of a year and a bit. just look at the write-up they gave it, all they say is backed up by a huge database. they could claim their database is huge already, it doesn't say they are making any strides to improve it. that's what i call reading between the lines. at least they admit their games have been mediocre though :)

abandonia.com has Player Manager 2 on it that you could download. I've only ever played the original but I'll give the sequel a bash tonight I think[/QUOTE]

Cheers i'll have a look at that after work.

Omg ive just seen the 3d match engine for champ man 09 and it beats the **** out of our FM one:(

[quote name='BobMUFC08']Omg ive just seen the 3d match engine for champ man 09 and it beats the **** out of our FM one:([/quote]

Where have you seen it? At the link above?

[quote name='jod123']Where have you seen it? At the link above?[/quote]
Err... Maybe the CM website? Screenshots of CM09 were released a few days ago iirc.

saw it on youtube, heres the link [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5m1TkItuHA&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5m1TkItuHA&feature=related[/URL]

[quote name='ahmufcwafc']Err... Maybe the CM website? Screenshots of CM09 were released a few days ago iirc.[/quote]

Oh, didn't know that. Thanks. Will have a look.

[quote name='ahmufcwafc']That's CM08, CM09 has full 3D.[/QUOTE]
Ooops i ment this one, you have to look closly as its a poor video but even so you can still tell how much better the graphics look than FMs [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeN046AHrtg&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeN046AHrtg&feature=related[/URL]

[quote name='BobMUFC08']Ooops i ment this one, you have to look closly as its a poor video but even so you can still tell how much better the graphics look than FMs [URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeN046AHrtg&feature=related[/URL][/quote]
I wouldn't judge the game just by looking at that poor quality 10 second video mate ;)

I'll try it definitely,it looks better then new fm(my opinion),but how it's gonna be playable is another thing,and match engine looks great even though i don't care about it,i've never used it in cm or fm!

[quote name='BobMUFC08']Ooops i ment this one, you have to look closly as its a poor video but even so you can still tell how much better the graphics look than FMs [URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeN046AHrtg&feature=related[/URL][/quote]

[quote name='ahmufcwafc']I wouldn't judge the game just by looking at that poor quality 10 second video mate ;)[/quote]

What amhufcwafc said. It is very hard to judge on that so personally it does not look any better to me.

I will try the demo and then judge it. (Glad the Irish leagues are added. :D)

[quote name='ahmufcwafc']I wouldn't judge the game just by looking at that poor quality 10 second video mate ;)[/QUOTE]
Im not judging the game just the match graphics, FM is unreal as a game but imo CM's graphics look very good compared to FM's:)

[quote name='rmfarey']The original Player Manager was brilliant. Started off as an all action midfielder then as you got older (bout 40ish) started playing up front because your player could only move for about 5 mins of the game.....excellent stuff!!

Would love to have a go of it again![/QUOTE]

haha.
i used to start the game over & over till i got good speed stats. it didnt matter about anything else... as long as you could run faster than the other players then you were ok :D

in saying that. i played as queens park in the lower leagues & i always seemed to get a good player.