The last result thread. Cause you're only as good as your last result

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aston Villa 2-1 AC Milan (AET) (Aston Villa win 3-2 on aggregate)

What a thrill. After a bizarre and emotionally tiring night of football and else (better save that one for another forum on another day), I came to the second leg of this Champions League first knockout round tie not knowing what to expect but ultimately not fancying our chances that much. I had good reason to not be too confident after the first leg, when we were battered for virtually the entire match at the San Siro, going ahead through an unbelievably lucky Agbonlahor goal and then conceding the equaliser their pressure merited. Still, an away goal to take into the second leg is always a bonus.

The first half mirrored the first leg, with Milan having most of the ball and us playing mostly on the break. Perhaps we were a little bit more assured in possession but they still had far more of the ball than us and created plenty of openings. Fortunately, their strikers missed a few chances (Pato being injured helped them out a fair bit) and we managed to get to half-time with the game goalless, a result I would've gladly taken.

The second half started badly as my hard-as-nails holding man was nearly sent off for a second bookable offence, forcing me to substitute him for fear of having to end the game with ten men. Unfortunately, this change required a reshuffle in my back line which later caused a problem. But at the time, things started to go well for us. We had more meaningful attacking possession in their half, forced a few corners and, eventually, the brilliant young striker Emin Cicek wriggled away from his marker to provide a peach of a ball for Nathan Delfouneso who scored with a deadly finish. Then, an injury to one of my centre-backs forced me to tamper with our defence again. Some of my full-backs were out injured, meaning we would have to finish the goal with my left-back at right-back and a fringe player who usually plays on the left win at left-back. Nobody would have been surprised when they exploited our weaknesses in the full-back positions, with Rafael (yes, that one) tormenting us up the wing, then playing a simple ball which was returned to him as he ran into the box and which he duely put in the back of the net, forcing extra time.

The first additional period was typically uneventful but within a minute of the restart, we were awarded a free-kick in a good central position about twenty five yards out. Ashley Young curled it into the net with a beautiful effort, allowing us to defend like hell until the clock finally ran down. Those final minutes seemed to take an eternity but we didn't do anything silly and ended up going through to set up a quarter-final against Real Madrid.

Thanks! it was the first game of the CL groupstage. getting 3 points from the strongest team makes me favourites for qualification! After, I have to play Benfica and AEK

You gonna lose the AEK match on purpose?

The reason I sent out the reserves against Atletico in the cup match above was because Barcelona were visiting the following weekend. And the first team showed how it's done.

Real Madrid 1 Barcelona 0

I actually created a bit less than against Atleti, but in the other hand I am quite proud of my defensive work, nearly completely nullifying their threat. The goal was a stroke of luck, with Valdes pushing up far to pick up a stray clearance and laying the ball to Dani Alves, who held on to it just long enough to be tackled by Kaka, they ball falling to Xabi Alonso, who noticed Valdes had not yet returned to his goal, and sent a screamer from the halfway line into the net!

Curiously, I have won both league matches against Barcelona, both by the same scoreline, and exploiting Dani Alves's subpar defending in both goals (in the first game, he gave Cristiano Ronaldo enough space for Kaka to pick him out with a through pass).

Triestina 4-1 Juventus

Juventus are my only title challenger now and this is probably the second-hardest game I play (the hardest being Juventus away :D). Early start and my very attacking Brazilian-Italian left-back Fábio (yes, his first team was Fluminense too, ridiculously coincidental) had a 'mare against the Juventus right-winger, giving the ball away twice. Early signs showed and he conceded a corner which Italy stalwart Giuseppe Grillo scored from with a powerful header. Not the best start.

Unfortunately Juventus then sat back which mean that Fábio could actually push up and unfortunately they never took advantage of him again. Triestina began exerting a huge amount of pressure on Juventus and two shots on target were finally put behind for a corner, which my centre-back Carlo Ferrara, amongst the new generation of Italy centre-backs to come through, bagged a goal. Hadn't scored for a while.

Then it went all downhill for Juventus. Antonio Lancini, on the verge of beating Mario Balotelli's goalscoring record for Italy (50 goals, Lancini has 46), lashed a fierce one which Juventus's goalkeeper, Florian Tomas (arguably the best goalkeeper in the world, I sold him! :mad:) did well to save. Then a quick counter saw Lancini shoot, blocked, but smashed home the rebound.

Juventus didn't get anywhere after that; they had one real chance but that was it. I did replace my carded left-winger with a "defensive winger" to tighten up the left flank with Fábio basically charging forward at every opportunity.

Tomas is world-class but his kicking was disappointing in this game (or my centre-backs are utterly dominant - maybe this: Juventus's strikers won 11 of 31 headers). My centre-back captain Aksu Cinar basically flattened both Juventus's strikers with a powerful header which put my attacking midfielder through on goal - and he smashed one home from 25 yards.

Juventus started trying desperately to get something out of the game. In trying to seal the game out, I had to unfortunately Fábio tried everything but nothing came off. Juventus couldn't get the ball at all and eventually I won a corner which Ferrara again scored from to flatter the team's performance - 4-1 didn't tell the full picture.

So now I'm 11 points clear with 13 matches to go. Just nasty matches against Genoa, Lazio, Fiorentina and Torino left and I think I may even be able to win the remaining 9 fixtures comfortably.

KFUM Oslo 5 - 3 Harstad (Norwegian 2nd Division - Group 4)

A thumping win for Kaffa and what I thought was more emphatic than the scoreline. A hat-trick from my star striker, a bullet header chief midfield ball-winner (in the right place at the right time again) and a final minute looping header from my right winger was nearly equalled out by the team that have been my toughest test of the season so far. They scored three good goals on the break and could have won had they not put a left back up front at half time. Their right winger looks a good player and I may have to scout him out.

We're now six points clear and still unbeaten this season; a feat I can't honestly believe. We'd have conceded the least goals too, but Harstad's three put us one higher than Senja. I couldn't blame keeper or defender either; they just beat us for pace at the back.

Bottom of the table Stalkam next weekend and then our big tester against Premier Division Molde in the cup. I'm wondering how my finely tuned side will fair against such a big club.

Here's my last result against Arsenal, in all fairness Arsenal are about 8th in the league atm, but they still have a very strong team, I am Middlesbrough and I was expecting to get destroyed, I had no idea that this could ever happen:

middlesbrough30arsenal.png

:D Best result so far in this save file :thup:

Another incredibly frustrating defeat, which seems to be the norm for me lately:

French National: Amiens (my team) - Moulins 1-2(1-2).

My team leads through a goal from a freekick, dominates the game and then, 43. minutes, goalkeeper does an insane rush to the border of the penalty area to get a ball, misses and Moulins' player scores to an empty goal. 45. minutes, another longball and a single opposing player runs in to the penalty area, gets his shirt tugged and it's a penalty and a goal.

And then, next half: 45 minutes of utter domination for my team, which gives just a few weak shots that are easily saved. No change in tactics or substitutions helped, as usual. Too often it seems impossible to turn a game around, it's like the "correct" result had been already achieved. :thdn

Bosnia and Herzogovnia 9 - 0 Luxemburg

Third match in charge of National team. Won friendly vs Moldova 3-1 and drew at home to France 2-2

Last match as club manager:

Sheff Utd 3 -1 Wolves

Coca Cola Championship

MK Dons 2 Sheffield Wednesday 1

Fryatt (31).........Ward (61)

Klimavicius (90)

Lucky 2-1 victory against the Championship's bottom club, Fryatt tackled a confused Lubomir Michalik to score the opener, then Ward capitalised on some bad defending to make it 1-1, then 2 and a half minutes into 4 minutes of added time Arunas Klimavicius headed home the winner from a corner.

We are now 15th on 47 points with 6 games to go, 14 points clear of relegation after a great revival which has seen us win 4 of the last 5 league games, (3of them in injury time). Sheffield Wednesday are 5 points adrift of safety at the bottom of the Championship.

French National: Amiens (my team) - Stade Plabennecois 2-2(2-2).

Third draw in a row - first 1-1 against Guegnon, Guegnon scoring at the 89th minute, then 0-0 against Evian Thonon Gaillard - and as usual, my goalkeeper had another "magnificent" save ratio, 33 % (but one goal from penalty, another from a freekick). Doesn't look good at the moment.

lfc0v1ltfc.jpg

Get in! This is my first year in the Championship, and despite the media prediction, I think we'll finish mid-table. This was Liverpool's first team minus an injured Torres. No holding on, we took the game to them and fully deserved it :D

French National: Frejus Saint-Raphael - Amiens (my team) 1-0(0-0).

I play 4-1-2-3 and get just 3 shots on goal, my playmaker gets injured and carried off the field when all substitutions have been used on 79th minute and opponent scores on 89th minute from a counter-attack when I had tried to make my team just defend, but no, attack, ball lost and goal... And on extra time my team, now on Overload, gets ball to woodwork.

I just wish this game would sometimes be actually fun, just not addictive. But probably you have to play with Real Madrid and "save often, load often" to achieve that. :thdn:

burnley 0 v 2 PETERBOROUGH UTD 3rd season in the prem

certain belgium midfielder got his 1st goal for me which will hopefully shut my stupid fans up.

their not happy with me apparently paying "over the odds" for him:confused:

(paid £15mill)

Started a game as Hungary manager on 08... First game:

Hungary 3 Bosnia 1

Was almost 2-0 down inside 4 minutes but their second goal was ruled out for offside. After about half an hour or so we started dominating the game and equalised just before halftime. We ended up deserved winners. I've found Bosnia to be underrated in the game though and I'll probably lose to Turkey (away) in the next game.

I'll be honest they dominated pretty much the whole game. But I used a Chelsea style tactic and my 10 man team countered them to gain the victory...

connorspeake17.png

How on earth is this not offside though? Is it because he is passing within his own half? (The guy with the ball at that point passes to Number 10)

rmadridvastonvilla2.png

Arsenalfan, yes, offside rule is only effective on opponent side of the pitch. If you watch IRL football, you often see that during corner kicks, striker of defending team will be somewhere near center circle and attacking team has to leave somebody guard him, because if ball is cleared and he launches for it from own side, it's not offside.

My last result: Ajax - FC Barcelona 1:0 (84. Alderweireld). (November 2010). Champions League group stage.

Beating Barcelona with squad like Vermeer-Emanuelson, Alderweireld, Wielaert, van der Wiel -de Zeeuw, Enoh, Gabri - Aissati, Kennedy, Pantelic is great achievement.

Archived