Sports Interactive Community
Marko An.

Why is FM2007 so popular..???

To be honest I'm seriously thinking to play FM07. That game with new database would be much more enjoyable than FM08 and FM09 together.

I still play 7.2.

7.2’s ME had it’s irritations, but these were a mere trifle compared to the way the same irritations were increased to PC smashing, SI programmer assaulting proportions on all FM8 incarnations.

Wwwwwiiiiiiiilldddd over effects of teamtalks.

Goalkeeper distribution working for the AI but not for the human resulting in LOADS of idiotic reverse-route-one goals where the human player’s keeper effectively becomes the AI’s best attacker when coupled with absurd superhuman AI clearances from defence. (The psudo-guru/fanboy response to this was telling: proscriptions that didn’t work anyway – deep dline, short passing etc – invalidating any tactic that uses non-deep dline etc. Typical doublethink.)

Nearly every AI freekick bouncing in off of your wall.

Etc

As for FM9, I’ve yet to make it more than two games into a season where I give up wasting my time on such absurdities until the next patch.

FM7 has some of these irritants, just not as badly as FM8. My main problem is the invincibility of the elite clubs even if they are having a bad season elsewhere – when modelled fully against the human player, the usual reputation based BS kicks in to ensure they are nigh-on unbeatable.

At least it’s an enjoyable experience on the whole. Unlike FM8 & 9 which are more annoying and stressful than spending 50 hours a week down a coal mine.

ok... this maybe a silly question... but what does "ME" means... I noticed on some posts like the last one "7.2’s ME had it’s irritations..."... so can anyone tell me?

ok... this maybe a silly question... but what does "ME" means... I noticed on some posts like the last one "7.2’s ME had it’s irritations..."... so can anyone tell me?

ME = match engine.

i still play FM07 and for me its the pick up and play nature of the game, you dont need to spend ages adjusting all the sliders little bits just to counter the oponent and it doesnt have any game breaking bugs. its just simple and easy and doesnt take too much effort

Don't know if i'm in right place to ask,but has anyone played 2007 with database update 0809?I'm bored with cm 01/02 and now i'm looking for something different,haven't played 2007 for a long time,and i wanna know is it a good update?

Check out sortitoutsi.net

It was there that I saw that the two latests update there one if from september 2008 and the other November 2008, but not these January window transfers. Don't know if any of them is any good.

Cheers!

I play it reguarly. Yeah, there were far too many reds on the original version. And remember Rooney's everlasting ban?

haha true... i re installed 07 on my computer after it crashed and i thought i had lost all of my saved games ( i had been almost to 2030 when i put it down) but i found a game on my external harddrive from 2017 or so and rooney is still banned. best part never had to pay everton their money and rooney never got hurt or fatigued from international duty.

I liked 07 when i played it better than 09 but when i went back to it i found it hard to get back into.

I went back to FM2007 yesterday while I'm waiting for my FM09 to be fixed (can't play it due to an activation glitch). Having a great time with Manchester United, and it does seem to be virtually bugless. Everything works as it should, it has a quick smooth UI, a brilliant match engine. Everything feels solid about it.

And the great thing for anybody who doesn't own it is that it costs less than a fiver at Amazon. Bargain, I say.

The only low point for me is that there isn't a Flex skin for it, so I'm settling with Evolution for now.

FM2007 (7.2.0) match engine has less bugs than other fm match engines. Also regens were pretty good in that version, scouts do their job and is a very stable game.

FM07 has the best balance between fun and challenge. The tactics are getting a bit too complex in later versions for me. It's still got some issues (raising bids to ridiculous levels to avoid upsetting the player, histories completely stuffed), but it's the best since 00/01 as far as I'm concerned.

Does the patch 7.2.0 also contains the 7.0.1 changes...? I think it does, but just to check.

And why when I install the FMC Graphic Pack 2.0 the game becomes very, very slow. The "black screen" before the main menu takes about 4-5 minutes to load. Before it was only like a minute.

Does the patch 7.2.0 also contains the 7.0.1 changes...? I think it does, but just to check.

And why when I install the FMC Graphic Pack 2.0 the game becomes very, very slow. The "black screen" before the main menu takes about 4-5 minutes to load. Before it was only like a minute.

It does.

As for the slow game, tick 'use skin cahce' in the preferences - display & sound.

I gotta add that im playing FM07 currently as didnt bother with upgrading to FM08 and dont think FM09 will run on the laptop.

Its soo easy to pick up and play - and hasnt been over-complicated with such things as pitch sizes etc. There are bugs. e.g the rooney thing or over inflated transfers -- but from the sounds of it not nearly as much as the newer versions.

You search for players under a particular age (like 17) each season.

What do the faces have to do with anything?

Football Manager 2007 was by far the best edition ! :D Still play it often.

I can remember fm07 having people posting about how awful it was compared to the old class cm versions and how SI needed to take a break for a year.

fm08 was good, I liked the engine also. I am yet to try 09 but I am downloading it on gamersgate right now.

07 with patch 2 was really good. It maybe lacks some features compared to 09 but it was playable and stable which matter most for the majority. Something which is always worth to keep in hard-drive. This being said, I also like 09 and it will be better with patch 3.

So to sum it up (after quite a long time, but better than opening a new thred)...

From reading all your posts, FM07 it's better than FM08 & FM09 because:

1. It's user friendly and for it's pick up and play nature

2. Runs smoothly

3. Has good match engine

4. Better transfer, confidence and scouting system

5. For it's regens and therefore the posibility of long-term games

6. Tactics implementation (last, but not least...)

So, feel free to post some more... whether you agree or disagree with the above written.

How exactly does 07 have a better confidence system? 09 is vastly more in-depth.

Don't know about 09 because I haven't played it yet... but, it beats (big-time) the one in 08.

How about the other points, what do you think... are they true?

wooow... you're like sooooo... funny!!! ...way to go, keep that spirit!

oh... by the way... in your first quote, you better quote the whole sentence.

it goes like...

"From reading all your posts, FM07 it's better than FM08 & FM09 because:"

*pay attention in the future, don't only read/quote what suits your vanity.

bye now, gotta go... and if you don't want to participate in this thread, do me a favour and please don't.

wooow... you're like sooooo... funny!!! ...way to go, keep that spirit!

oh... by the way... in your first quote, you better quote the whole sentence.

it goes like...

"From reading all your posts, FM07 it's better than FM08 & FM09 because:"

*pay attention in the future, don't only read/quote what suits your vanity.

bye now, gotta go... and if you don't want to participate in this thread, do me a favour and please don't.

Now that is a facepalm.

2007 does have a better confidence system - because it doesn't exist. It's fairly obvious the confidence system has its flaws and to me, I always found it a bit pointless with its problems - which is why it was better without it.

Just fired up my 2025 Wimbledon game, 7 days before the Champions league final vs Lyon and the first thing i get is a new story I've never seen before - my stadium has been delayed by 4 months due to building work being behind schedule!

So can anyone tell me, why the FM2007 is like the most popular version from the FM editions?

because fm2009 s*cks a lot and the numerous replies here demonstrate what the majority things of fm2009...:thdn:

I was so fed up with FM2009 that I went back to FM2007 and I am loving it. Main features already there, fast processing, lot of fun. I don't think I am going back to 09 after this new patch and I never liked 08. I loved the 3D but I think it's the only actual improvement from 2007 and I can play without it.

SI used to be very good on this football management thing. I hope that in the future SI recover its old form.

FM2007 >>>> FM 2009 (and 2008)

2007 is to 2009 as Twisted Metal II is to Twisted Metal III.

2007 is to 2009 as Scary Movie I and II is to Scary Movie III and IV.

2007 is to 2009 as Dumb and Dumber is to Dumb and Dumberer.

2007 was POLISHED(relatively), didn't have huge deleterious bugs, better ME, Manchester United can beat League 3 teams nine out of ten times regardless of ostentatiously "correct" tactics, and did not have the superfluous features that drained the game from more important things like 2009 has.

I never really agreed with the whole FM2007 being the best thing, now I think about it, my best ever season was on 07. I built a great team with world class regens coming through and everything seemed to just make sense.

FM2008 was terrible.

I think 2009 is good. Especially after the last patch, hopefully the next patch will make things look alot smoother and things like the 3d ME will not only look good but play good because whats the point in having 3D players who have poor animations. But i dont know why people are against the pitch size thing. I play wide footrball down both flanks so big pitches suit me well, and i find when i go to away games at a narrow pitch i suffer, good feature imo.

FM 2007 was a heaven for the casual player, who, like myself, doesn't have more than one hour every day to dedicate to the game. Especially after the second patch, it was really fan and easy to adjust and play.

Also it had the "luck" to be succeded by the worst FM so far (and I hope it'll remain so) ,2008. FM 2009 is really good, but could be better and I hope after the patch WILL be better.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=74878

2007 not really leading the polls :)

And that shows what exactly? That people on a forum where the vast majority of active users play FM 2009 prefer FM 2009?

FM 2007 can't win the poll in GQ. Ask the same question in OTF for example and the results will be quite different. Polls like this are a bit useless.

And that shows what exactly? That people on a forum where the vast majority of active users play FM 2009 prefer FM 2009?

FM 2007 can't win the poll in GQ. Ask the same question in OTF for example and the results will be quite different. Polls like this are a bit useless.

With that in mind, the fact that CM3 and FM07 are so close says it all. Is it all that hard to read between the lines?

The original question about why is FM2007 being so popular is being asked in GD, the people responding are in GD so I provided contrary evidence from GD.

It's not useless.

The original question about why is FM2007 being so popular is being asked in GD, the people responding are in GD so I provided contrary evidence from GD.

It's not useless.

It's got nearly 20% in that poll so I'd say that even with this extremely limited and biased sample size you can't really say it didn't fare well in that poll. So no, you've not provided any contrary evidence. What you've proved is that in a forum where most people own and currently play FM 2009 only 28% think it's the best version.

It's got nearly 20% in that poll so I'd say that even with this extremely limited and biased sample size you can't really say it didn't fare well in that poll. So no, you've not provided any contrary evidence. What you've proved is that in a forum where most people own and currently play FM 2009 only 28% think it's the best version.

Why do you keep raising about 2009, that isn't that question that's being asked.

It's the same limited and "biased" sample that this thread is being put too, so the results of the poll are no more or less relevant than the opinions in this thread.

I mean, by your reasoning there's no point in having any discussion at all on this forum, because it's all just a small biased set of people that don't mean or represent anything.

Why do you keep raising about 2009, that isn't that question that's being asked.

It's the same limited and "biased" sample that this thread is being put too, so the results of the poll are no more or less relevant than the opinions in this thread.

I mean, by your reasoning there's no point in having any discussion at all on this forum, because it's all just a small biased set of people that don't mean or represent anything.

Because you're the one trying to use a biased poll to somehow show FM 2007 as an unpopular game - when the question wasn't why 2007 is the most popular version but rather why it is as popular as it is. You brought that poll up. I'm just pointing out that it's irrelevant because no matter what a limited set of people, majority of whom play 2009 (which is why I mention FM 2009) think, FM 2007 is still a game many see as the best in the series. Why you're so desperately trying to dispute this is beyond me.

Because you're the one trying to use a biased poll to somehow show FM 2007 as an unpopular game - when the question wasn't why 2007 is the most popular version but rather why it is as popular as it is. You brought that poll up. I'm just pointing out that it's irrelevant because no matter what a limited set of people, majority of whom play 2009 (which is why I mention FM 2009) think, FM 2007 is still a game many see as the best in the series. Why you're so desperately trying to dispute this is beyond me.

I'm not desperately trying to dispute anything, I'm disagreeing with you that the poll I linked too wasn't relevant to this discussion.

I'm not desperately trying to dispute anything, I'm disagreeing with you that the poll I linked too wasn't relevant to this discussion.

The topic of discussion wasn't whether 2007 was the most popular version of the game. The question was why it is as popular as it is. How exactly is the poll relevant then?

I don't think the poll is irrelevant, it emphasises the point that FM07 is one of the most popular versions of the game. However, your original quote stated that 07 wasn't leading the poll, and this could be interpreted as you trying to provide evidence to the contrary of the OP. In which case, the position of 09 in the poll is irrelevant as a majority of users, in this forum, will be relatively new to the game or here to discuss 09.

Because the thread was rezzed by someone saying that 07 was better than 09 and several people who have posted have directly compared the two. I was simply adding some statistics into the discussion.

Because the thread was rezzed by someone saying that 07 was better than 09 and several people who have posted have directly compared the two. I was simply adding some statistics into the discussion.

For those saying 07 is better it actually is. People posting here point out the strengths of 07 compared to the newer versions. Had you disputed their points instead of posting 'statistics' that are severely skewed as pointed out repeatedly then you would have been adding to the discussion. Instead you're in here to derail the thread from the points worth discussing to cause an argument. This is not necessary, nor are your statistics relevant to any of the points made prior to you posting it. FM 2007 is a popular game. Accept that and take the points made in this thread aboard or show people where they're wrong, don't drag it down to another generic 'X version is better than Y version' argument, we have enough of these and they're all boring as hell.