Away systems

In my 5th season with Luton, in Championship now, but unfortunately (despite selling Ched Evans for £6.5m over 24 months) we have never had money to spend, therefore, I've had to rely on loan signings and free transfers.

In my opinion, each player in my team suits their position well, it's just they can't do anything else i.e. CBs can defend, but can't pass, wingers can dribble but can't pass brilliantly. Basically my main problem is lack of athleticism and passing outside of the centre midfielders.

My only centre back who has passing above 8 is Marc Valiente, whose is 14.

My 1st XI would be Brill, Luke Young, Andrew Taylor, Jimmy Noel, M'voto, DMC Valiente, CMs - Ferrie Bodde and Jacob Mellis, AMC - Abel Taarabt, ST - Verpakovskis and Andy Carroll.

Unless I play Valiente at centre half, my best passer at CB has a rating of 8, I'm struggling to work out my team's best passing settings.

Our pitch is short and narrow so we play 4-1-2-1-2, seeing as it's short, we play deep to make more room, play short passing and slow-normal tempo. I don't know what I should do with my defenders...should I have them on direct passing like most frameworks recommend? The problem for me is, if they can't pass well, we're just going to be losing possession all the time.

When we have direct passing the centre backs complete around 35% of their passes, which obviously puts us under pressure more, whereas, away from home, short passing from centre backs would be suicidal wouldn't it?, seeing as they'd be constantly closed down.

Archived