Starting with poor morale

When starting a game with Portsmouth (just an example) the majority of the squad start with poor morale and are "worried about the manager's lack of experience" I just wondered in everybody elses experience what is the best way to address this quickly and get everybody up to superb before the community shield (normally first league game) with Man United.

Admittidly I like to get through pre season quite quickly and play only a couple of friendlies and one is always against Havant (arrangement)

I have offered new contracts to key players Krancjaer, Distin, Diarra which helps slightly but the "lack of experience" thing still comes up, I have tried starting from scratch and selecting a new profile and editing the current one to cure the experience issue but can't find an option or do I just make myself older? I put in my real age which is 27.

Does everybody start with this handicap or am I doing something wrong, if not what is the answer?

Also one other thing how do you delete profiles as I have more than one of the same name, thank you.

Not sure if you are already trying this but the issue may be down to the level of experience you are marking yourself down at. If you are marking it as automatic, semi-professional, etc that could be where the issue arises. If you mark your past experience as international footballer it may solve it.

I do have my experience down as automatic but it stills seems ridiculous that there is absolutely nothing you can do to avoid going into a game with Man United with everybody on poor morale making the game neigh impossible to win and then going into the season on a big downer.

I do have my experience down as automatic but it stills seems ridiculous that there is absolutely nothing you can do to avoid going into a game with Man United with everybody on poor morale making the game neigh impossible to win and then going into the season on a big downer.

It's pretty obvious that if you're a rookie manager managing a premiership side looking to go into europe that the team are going to doubt you this resulting on poor morale, its probably gonna take a decent season to get them to stop worrying

Must admit, I've found that your starting rep seems to be more of a problem in this than in previous versions (although i did miss out FM08 so maybe not THAT new...).

Back in the day, I could happily take on Hearts on the lowest rep and - provided I started OK - it never seemed an issue. Now I seem to be told I've "lost the dressing room" before the first game of the season! Even if the entire pre-season consisted of us tanking non league teams 7 or 8-0.

Obviously it's easily sorted, but still, not sure why it's suddenly become quite so important.

I figuered that's what it was down to, at least it's nothing major i'm doing wrong. I must admit although I know I have the option to change experience (I like to select the most realistic) and I can see why the game has done it like that, it would be nice if maybe they at least start the game with something like "willing to give the new manager a chance" but then maybe get on your back a bit quicker when things aren't going so well as they would with the other options.

Derby took Nigel Clough from Burton but they didn't play last night (or indeed in the first leg) as if they had no confidence in the manager, indeed a new manager normally has the adverse effect.

I usually go on a pre-season tour of the Faroe Islands just before the season kicks off. 4 big wins, even against bad opposition, tends to get my squad morale up nicely. Scunthorpe even won one of those games 0-21 before my current season (FM08, but I assume things haven't changed that drastically in FM09)

I've had the same problem with morale at Inter but to make matters worse the majority of the 1st team start off injured so doing well to increase morale is even harder. Even when i won the super cup against Roma using mainly under 21 players it didn't help! Now i've got Queresma who's a new signing for Inter saying he can't settle in Milan and he wants to leave even before the season has started! Maybe it's a ploy by SI to get you to build up your rep with a small team before taking on the big teams!

It's perfectly reasonable for a Premiership team to be troubled by the fact that a completely unknown and inexperienced manager has taken charge of their club. Setting yourself to automatic reputation is the equivalent of a real llife club being taken over by a manger who has never played football, never managed another team and in fact never been heard of by anyone in football.

Archived