Another "team from scratch" challenge

• Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Giving this a shot with my modified London Utd which are now know as Treorchy Athletic (Treorchy being the rugby team i play for).

1st team squad currently comprises of:

GK - M Neuer / S Taylor

RB - R Taylor / M Elliot

LB - S Warnock / M Sakho

CB - H Bellaid / S Squillaci(over 27) / F Fazio

MC - D Whitehead / D Jones / N De Jong / A Zapater / D Buonanotte

ML - Marcleo / T Barnetta

MR - G Barnes / I Afellay

ST - Julio Cruz (over 27) / A P Gignac / K Phillips

Additional players bought:

Luis Miguel Sanz, Florian Krebs, Adrien, Kevin Thomson, Henri Saviet, Robert Brady, Aquino, Carlos Saez and Nathan Delfounesco, with Kyle Bartley to follow in Jan gives a total of 30 players signed @ 94mil in total. Current salary is 338k per week.

Have had a difficult start the season with back to back away games with man utd and chelsea which i both lost 2-1 with goals in the 90th minute by Anderson denying me a point agains utd and an 89th minute drogba goal providing the same outcome in that game.

Did manage a 1 - 0 win away and dinamo kiev in my CL qualifyer though. will post actual screenshots later as im in work :-)

Barkers

Good squad mate. You might struggleif you get an injury to your 2 older players though. Shame about the last minute goals in the two games. The AI really cheats in that way. If I'm losing a game with say 20 mins to go, I usually make all my players bar my 2 CB's bomb forward in full attack but yet they hardly ever come up with a goal. If the AI does it, its practically impossible to contain them! Annoying as hell!

A little heads-up about Cruz - you dont want him teaching moves to your other strikers. He's only got "tries killer balls often" as his preferred move IIRC. Thats not ideal for a striker as you really dont want him to be doing that! So you might want to just have him work on the mental attributes of the youngsters. icon14.gif

------------------------------------------------------------------

My games going well. I'm still in all competitions having won the Carling Cup. I'll give an update soon as I'm done with the season. But I'm afraid the wheels might be coming off my premier league campaign. I was top a month back with an 8 point lead over 2nd place Arsenal. But after injuries to Michael Johnson and Amauri (two of key players) and Apam being out for the season, I've slipped down to 2nd and am 1 point behind Arsenal now. I find that pretty damn ironic though considering irl, last season Arsenal were the ones who did exactly that!! However, I've got both Johnson and Amauri back now which is a big boost. But the best piece of news is that Adebayor is out for the season as well for Arsenal with a fractured skull! And he's been on fire for them. The bad news it that they still have Eduardo, Van Persie and Bendtner icon_frown.gif! But I'm hopeful they'll slip up more than me. I've got a harder run-in to the finish line than them though. Only 7 games to go - wish me luck!

Oh and I'm playing Lyon in the QF's of the Champions League and bloody Arsenal in SF's of the FA Cup!

That never works for me for some reason. I always try to injure another teams key player who's also injury prone but it never works for me icon_frown.gif! I put in opposition instructions to tackle him hard and put my dirtiest player on him too. No luck though! I'm not that worried about playing Arsenal in the FA Cup. Even if I lose that, not a problem. I'm more worried about not being able to catch-up in the league.

Anyway, regens - I forgot to mention that earlier. I have a regen striker who was in my team from the start. Name is Carl Cooper, nationality is English and PA is a hefty 190!! icon_biggrin.gif

He's looking great already. His finishing is 17, dribbling is 13, first touch is 17, composure is 14! Lacks some mental and physical stats but he'll get there soon I'm sure. He's only 16 atm!! icon_biggrin.gif

@ hulk

noticed that about cruz havnt got him tutoring at the moment. im using kevin phillips instead.

got back on track after the 2 opening defeats. beat kiev 3-1 on agg to go through in the cl and have got Milan, Shalke and SCKA Moscow. Beat west ham and necastle and drew 0-0 with spurs.

hulk you know the stadiums called the silent valley is that having a pop at charltons rubbish ground and fans who never sing?

What?? LOL! No, its not mate. Actually when I was young, where I lived, me and my mates used to trek down to this place called The Silent Valley which was bascially a place in the jungle which had a small water-fall as well. Used to love going there. Was feeling nostalgic so named it after that! icon_smile.gif

Lol. Play for about a month or so to see who is performing and who is not. This will help you when you start again deciding the players you'd like.

Let me give you a couple of small tips though - make sure you buy atleast 2 quality strikers. They'll be the difference between you winning and losing games. Trust me on this. I've got Amauri and Rocchi and they've both bascially kept me in all competitions thus far by bagging 40 goals+ each and still counting! Also, get one strong holding midfielder (Zapater is fine). Dont worry about defence. You should be able to find good defenders who wont be too expensive and will do a great job for you. Full back positions might be a little tough though. icon14.gif

make sure you buy atleast 2 quality strikers. They'll be the difference between you winning and losing games

I second that ^ Don't make the same mistake I did. The only striker I basically have is Greg Pujol... And I wouldn't even class him as a striker the way he's playing. I don't know why I didn't spend the extra 30M on a good striker >_<

My season is going bad at the moment.

Played 3 matches in CL, and my whole group is on 4 points. But I have W.Bremen and CSKA Moskow Home, matches I should win - And AC away which I'll lose (beat them 2-0 at home).

I'm 7th in the league, W6 D1 L5 - doing pathetic.

Really need to buy a striker in January.

Btw, antfm08 how did you buy Owen... you said you had to adjust the budget to buy him, and that you already spent around 120M this season. Tbh, it's more fun if you follow the rules Hulk set.

8 games in. Won 6 (all narrowly), Lost 1, Drawn 1.

Leaking goals like a sieve (thats prolly my tactics) but Mr Bergkamp says team is showing a lack of cohesion.

Ashton is performing very poorly - good job I had Fletcher - he is goal a game at the mo and Fauvergue (loan in) is playing not too bad.

My two overageplayers I boobed with - Petit is not playing that well and Savage I forgot was with Derby and is now therefore a tutor.

Been unlucky with injuries - Savage (three months) Fazio (two months) Birsa (two months)

I got about 6 mill left so i will bring in another overage player in the Jan tf window

Most common starting line up at the mo;

GK: Costil

RB: Shearman/Valera

CB: Sokratiris

CB: Bellaid

LB: Shorey

DM: Elliott

AMR:Barnes

MC: Skjelbred

MC: Petit

AML:Guillherme

SC: Fletcher/Ashton/Fauvergue

Ist Season Half Term Report

4th Prem Semi Final v Man C, next stage Europe

1ST TEAM

Lobant (Age) (Tut)

Taylor (UK)

Bellaid

Fazio (U20)

Marcelo (U20)

Zapater

Eduardo (U20)

Barnes (UK) (U20)

Defour (U20)

Farfan

Diogo (U20)

SUBS

Ricardo (Age) (Tut) Edwards (UK) (U20)

Gignac

Skjebred (U20)

Omozusi (UK) (U20)

Roseinor (UK)

Ledley (UK) (U20)

Mattock (UK) (U20)

Bruno Lopes

Elliot (UK)

Mihelic

BREAKING INTO 1ST TEAM

Wijnaldum (U20)

Sankhare (U20)

Sakho (U20)

Saivet (U20)

Fleck (UK) (U20)

Daminuta (U20)

Piatti (U20)

Delfouneso (UK) (U20)

Ganea

"Pleased" with Squad but lacking 1st Team quality UK Players.

ive already said i broke a few rules...

i went over with the owen transfer but i would have been sacked if i didnt buy him.

these are the st's i bought

bojan (loan doesnt play backup)

stancu (usually good cant score)

saivet (doesnt score too young)

moses (same as above)

larsson (legs have fell off)

i know i should of followed rules a bit better but whatever i still field 5 english players a game and 5 U20 players in starting 11 so im following the main rules.

You fielding English players, and U20s doesn't really matter once you break the rules. I mean one of the English players is Foster, who's injury you took off. If you didn't you'd have to spend quite a bit for a good keeper. The other is Owen who you bought by adjusting the budget. It's just no use following some rules when you've broken some main ones in the first place.

But hey, I'm not going to make a big thing of if - do as you please. I wont carry on about this.

thats fine antfm.. you play your game as you please... the only way it affects the rest of us is how we percieve your achievements... as long as your having fun though its all good icon14.gif

right... my final first team is done.. not by choice but due to me spending every last penny i had icon_frown.gif

1st team

GK: joe hart / molina

DR: zuiverloon / m.elliot

LB: andrew taylor / puhlac

CB: fazio / wheater / gioda

MR: barnes / sabri (not really great cover but didnt have a choice)

LW: abdou RT / have to go with youth here

CM: m.johnson / rakitic / zapater / fellaini / d.jones

CF: Liedson / samassa / ricardo jesus / dayro moreno

and a hell of alot of reserves... including:

arthur sorin

m.sakho

mardare

mclean

van der wiel

mattock

civelli

ropoton

sankhare

james mccarthy

ramsey

wijnaldum

a.ayew

saviet

riner valeev

fleck

n.akram

biglieri

agouda

ganea

Im not ecstatic about my squad.. especially the wings.... but i feel with key players like johnson and liedson.. il do fine...

im particulary happy with the signings of my englishmen taylor, johnson, wheater and hart.... i feel they'll be the backbone of the team for years to come even though they cost an arm and a leg

welshace

Team looks nice mate. I think you should be fine. Do you have any cash left? I dont see Aquino on the list of youth players. If you have a little cash, get him mate. He can do a resonable job for you on the left wing even from the start. You've got Wijnaldum though and he can cover both wings for you resonably well in season 1. So look to him if you need someone.

Any don't worry about it either way. You can play whichever way you want you just don't get bragging rites as such if you cheat the rules. Wish I had managed to get Owen though xD. Liverpool's sales value of Crouch was 15m which I was going to pay but because I'm a league rival they want 30m for him.

Nice looking team Welshave. I've never got McLean on FM08 but I remember I always used to try and get him on FM07 although I only managed to get him once. Not that he was expensive, but he never wanted to leave his club. Hope Liedson does well. I never bought the chap because on mine he has ridiculously low composure. You got some very nice central midfielders in your squad.

Wow 15.75m for Joe Hart that has to be new record lol I think you've overpaid for a lot of those players icon_frown.gif

How many players have you got in your squad? cos you need 30

good strikers are amauri rocchi owen vaughan

andy johnson

all in 18m budget

Yeah Cazorla is very good. It's funny in some challenges some people sign him in his first season, in the first window, the same with Beckham. Cazorla a long with many other players, including coaches are very unlikely to leave when they just join their club. I've tried to sign Cazorla in every single game I can afford him but he does not join, unless of course you whip the editor out and make him unhappy.

Okay - I'm starting a new game.

Main reason is because of Pujol being my main striker. I'm dominating nearly every match, but losing too many because Pujol can't score. I'm 6th in the league and came 2nd in CL group but I want to use my 27+ buys more wisely.

If anyone has any suggestions on players performing great for them, lemme know now before I use up my 100M icon_wink.gif

Teeyougee, Riquelme and Amauri are absolutely running the show for me icon_smile.gif. Riquelme didn't really cut it in midfield though but once he got to AMC he really sets the games a light. I've been struck my injury recently and them two a long with Farfan have played very well.

Felipe in DC has been very disappointing but Alex Silva, Vermaelen and Miranda have done well. TBF Alex Silva seems ******** for me though, if the other team has a fast striker I have to put the other DC on him because he stands their in no mans land and lets the ball roll past him although he scores lots of goals with his head.

Depending how much money you have left you might want to sign Taylor, depending on if you are waiting for Foster to get better. He's okay for me but hasn't been that good so if you get your English players in a different department maybe buying a foreign keeper or Joe Hart might be a better move. Rochi looks good (the striker that Hulk has), he was too expensive on mine but maybe see what he's priced at. As far as strikers go Diogo is okay and I know other people have had some success with him but he's not done much for me. I mainly play him as a sub which doesn't seem to suite him. He only has one goal so far but it was a crucial 20 yard screamer so he has ability. The main thing about him is that he's like 20 years old I believe. Liedson, another Brazlian looks okay but on my save he has very low composure which will be important for a striker if has plays up front on his own as he will need to be a clinical scorer. I don't think he'll be as good on FM08, but on FM07 I had Iversan upfront. He was available on my save for around 2m I believe and could probably play alright up front on his own if you ended up short of cash.

i cant recommend the following enough

abdou razack traore - world class winger for 1.5 mil

dayro moreno-- great stats, 2 mil

kivuvu - need holland selected though

fazio is a must at < 3mil

warnock is good at 3 mil too

marvin elliot has brilliant stats on mine for a 900k player and english

zapater 7mil release

rakitic is running the show for me though , cost me 6-7 mil cant remember now.. but well worth every penny

teeyougee

Ashton has 3 "8's and 5 goals in his last three games. I moved to a 3-4-1-2 . Looks like he prefers a partner rather than being on his own upfront.

Stats

Ashton 14 games 6 goals 6.93 ave

Fletcher 12 Games 8 goals 7.54 ave (strangely enough he is going off the boil a bit)

Birsa 9 games 5 goals 7.33 ave (just back after injury and a couple of sub appearances leading to "6's" have lowered his stats a little)

Still looking for another (overage) striker in tf window for less than 6.5 mill. Everyone I look at, Bettega my chief scout doesnt fancy - Savidan, Gignac, Unal, Grax

Originally posted by Zellix:

Yeah Cazorla is very good. It's funny in some challenges some people sign him in his first season, in the first window, the same with Beckham. Cazorla a long with many other players, including coaches are very unlikely to leave when they just join their club. I've tried to sign Cazorla in every single game I can afford him but he does not join, unless of course you whip the editor out and make him unhappy.

yeah i put his name forward and he even rejected me. teeyougee i just bought ambrosini from ac for 10m flat and they didnt even try to negotiate. Im having a big problem with the gk position has anyone got any ideas for under 3m?

Originally posted by antfm08:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zellix:

yeah i put his name forward and he even rejected me. teeyougee i just bought ambrosini from ac for 10m flat and they didnt even try to negotiate. Im having a big problem with the gk position has anyone got any ideas for under 3m? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Costil? He is doing ok with me and is in your price range

Thanks for the advice guys.

Zellix

I'm definately going for Amauri. Hopefully I can unsettle him this time otherwise I'll go for Rocchi.

Farfan too, I gave him a bad contract last time so he went to another club. I'll make sure I offer him what he wants (without breaking the 50K p/w rule icon_wink.gif)

I didn't go for Felipe, and I wont either. I'll pass on Alex Silva too. I'll definately try and get Miranda and Vermaelen this time, along with Fazio who was pretty good for me.

I had Taylor last time, and he was crap most of the time, but a few matches he was unbeatable. I might have to go for him again if I don't have the cash for Hart or a foreigner.

I think I'll buy Diogo last, if I have leftover cash, as he'll most likely be a sub. He has pretty good stats and he was great for me on an old save.

As for Liedson, he look great, but yeah, his composure sucks so I don't think I can trust him to convert most chances.

Welshace

I didn't get Traore last time, mainly because I use Kimz so I have no wingers, but I might use wingers this time. I'll go for Traore, very cheap for a great player.

I cant find Dayro Moreno on my save :s

I don't have Holland selected so no Kivuvu :/

Fazio I'm def getting icon_wink.gif

Warnocks pretty good and cheap, will go for him too.

Yeah Marvins awesome, was solid for me last time, will get him again.

Zapater is a must ofcourse.

Hmm, Rakitic looks awesome too, I might have too sacrifice the cost icon_redface.gif

Potemkin125

Cheers for the update icon_wink.gif I don't think I'm gonna buy Ashton on my new save. I prefer Amauri/Rocchi. But if I can't get either, I'll probably go for him.

antfm08

Wow, they sold you Ambrosini. I might have to get him. Will be great for 2 seasons at least icon_biggrin.gif

Urgh - I'm in a dilemma now... Riquelme, Alex or Ambrosini as one of the 27+s? Because the other will be Amauri or Rocchi :/

Okay they're rejecting 10M for Ambrosini.

I dunno if I should buy Alex for Fenerbahce for around 5.5M or Riquelme for around 9M.

Also, whether to buy Emanuelson or Taiwo for 5.5M. I think I might go for Emanuelson. Never had him before and he looks perfect for my wing-back role. Plus Taiwo got sent off 3 times by November in my last save.

Ok ive got 30 players heres my first team:

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/315/londonfirstteamum9.jpg

My reserves:

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/4393/londonresxr0.jpg

Lost my first game to Newcastle 2-1 away goal scores for Newcastle are Diouf Martins for United Fazio.

Got Rangers in the champions leage beat them 4-1 away goal scores were Fazio 2 Barnes and Moreno.

Next up was Bolton who i beat 3-0 goal scores were Farfan Barnes and Moreno

Nice teams both of ya. Ant, Marcelo LB is going to cause you problems in defence, Emanuelson or Taiwo woulda been a better buy.

Ok, Amauri and Rocchi aren't getting unsettled. Their clubs want like 15-20M for them :/

Still struggling to decide if I should buy Alex, or pay 3M more for Riquelme.

Hart will come to me for almost 9M, but I have Costil so not sure if I should get him. He's only very slightly better than Costil, and I only need to hang on for 8 months until Foster recovers.

i know marcelo cant defend but i use wing backs mainly for attacking purposes. riquelme and alex are very good but you should sign whoever you think will last the longest. i dont think either will last more than 3 seasons. Try gyan asamoah looks good 2 goals against spurs on his debut for me icon_smile.gif

Archived