Another "team from scratch" challenge

• Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply

-lewis-16-

Its not easy to assemble a team that's compete mate. Mine is going to struggle as well but it will nice to see some of the youngsters develop as the season wears on.

If you want a couple of tips - you'll find it hard to come by strikers who are under 22, will come for 7.5M or less and will be good enough to peform at the top level. But you should be able to find some 27 or over ones who you can actually land for 10M or less and are very good. Both Amauri and Rocchi that I bought should be available for that price. There are others around as well. So try to buy senior strikers. You can also try to buy 1 expensive English striker if you want. There's one who's quality and will come for about 20M. I wont give the name away though as I'm not sure if you want names.

There are quite a few CB's that you can buy who will be under 22 and under 7.5M and will perform well. Full backs are a little problem but there are a few around. You'll easily find good enough 22 or under players in midfield who you can buy for 7.5M or less. If you want some recommendation, let me know. icon_smile.gif

Zellix

Really? I just declared interest first and then I put in a bid for 13M + 10% sell on and they came back with 16M straight up. I offered it and thats it! icon_confused.gif

interesting team hulk icon14.gif

First Team Squad

GK: joe hart(10mil), molina (free)

LB: emmanuelson(6mil), warnock(3.5mil)

CB: fazio (2mil), vermaelen(6mil)

RB: m.elliot(900k), s.sabri(3mil)

DMC: fellaini(2mil), zapater(7mil)

CM: david jones, kivuvu(3mil), kalouda(2mil)

LW: marcelo(5.5mil), A.Razack T(1.4mil)

RW: barnes, osvaldo(4mil)

ST: dayro moreno(3mil), ricardo jesus(1mil)

*note* lots of interchangable players

Reserve Team Squad

omozusi(1mil)

wijinaldum

saivet

aquino

sakho

sanhkare

fleck

s.arrieta (500k)

lansbury(jan)

danny grainger (500k)

mattock (1.3mil)

ropotan (500k)

stelvio (400k)

k.agouda (200k)

joe garner (100k)

buononatte (200k)

m.constantin (250k)

tatarastanu (200k)

*and various random stats players.. nothing worth noting*

I had considered getting a few core important players... i.e like hulk.. using my established over 27 age rule to bring in a goal scorer and a AMC, therefore garaunteeing goals and winning games...

But Id like to try and build from nothing, and bring in non established players and se if I can build my team from ground up.

With that in mind.. the only over 22 players I brought in was molina as backup keeper until foster returns and warnock

Filling my 5 english players roster are

hart (obvious choice for keeper, brilliant)

marvin elliot (whos stats are ridiculously good)

warnock (brilliant for price and english)

david jones (obvious choice for midfield on a free)

barnes (great at rw, no need for change)

-----------

dayro moreno looks brilliant and will fill my striker role perfectly i think..

im playing:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> hart

elliot fazio vermaelen warnock

fellaini

zapater d.jones

barnes emanuelson

moreno </pre>

Originally posted by theincrediblehulk:

Zellix

Really? I just declared interest first and then I put in a bid for 13M + 10% sell on and they came back with 16M straight up. I offered it and thats it! icon_confused.gif

They want about 45m on mine icon_frown.gif

i can never get him for less then 30 either icon_frown.gif

ive just played my first pre season game against catania

and on reflection.. i feel im not strong enough in the centre of the park going forward....

fellaini and zapater are brilliant , but defensive... i have a little cash left over and may try to see who i can get....

dayro moreno played brilliantly scoring two.. one a powerful header and another a curling shot from the edge of the box.... looks a great player

fellaini was solid, sweeping up any loose ball and passing it around like a pro

fazio and vermaelen were solid as i expected them to be

warnock was getting lots of space on the left so i changed him 20 minutes in for marcelo who could better use the space... proven to be a good move , set up two.

elliot was solid enough on the right also

im quite happy with RB..

as i have elliot who is brilliant, sabri (turkish international, also great) and omozusi who i know grows into the position well

I am worried about CB myself.., but i have some cover in the reserves in constantin, grainger, sakho and laso kivuvu who doesnt play there but has great stats for the position and will do fine...

06202008181922nc2.th.jpg

06202008182041ef1.th.jpg

06202008182106oi8.th.jpg

hi frazza... the rules are pretty much clafified on this page.. just a little bit up...

its simple when you think about them for a bit

under 22's for less then 7.4 mil only

apart from english players who can be anything

need at least 5 english players in main match day squad

need to buy at least 30 players, and at least 16 in the main squad

can buy two over 27yr old players costing no more then 10 mil each

there a few more stipulations but start with them and then look back

Originally posted by Slugger_SpursFan:

help needed

i've downloaded the file and extracted it into my Database folder. I loaded up the game and the option to select this database ain't there. Any help would be much appreciated.

Try renaming the XML file to the same name as the folder. So I think remove the space and replace with an underscore.

Slugger_SpursFan

All the files that you extracted to the database folder, put them in a folder called "London Utd" and then try. So the destination should be:

My Documents > Sports Interactive> Football Manager 2008 > db > London Utd

Frazza Pee

Just check out the rules I've posted on this page itself a little above. They are all bunched together and easier to read. Read through once and let me know what confuses you.

welshace

DANG! Elliot looks bloody good on your game. He's about half of that on mine!! icon_frown.gif Kivuvu looks good though. icon14.gif

yeah i was really suprised with elliot myself.. looks premiership class all over...

solved the cb problem with my old faithful friend leandro gioda who was thankfully not transfered yet... came to me for 2mil

also had a bid accepted for hilton who's at lens for 4 mil but i dont need him now

got almost 10 mil left but dont know whether i need to spend it tbh... might look at a striker (ive cancelled the bagayoko deal.. didnt fancy it)

would love an english striker but none are decent enough for 10mil really.. might bring in someone like fryatt though

hmm derbyshire isnt a bad idea, not fond of the others though.. il look into him...

although i imagine my funds are gonna be gone now...

ive gone for defour with a view for some more attacking flair from midfield

might leave me short of cash tbh

yup, ive got defour... nevermind... get some new strikers in next season , i have enough for now i imagine..

osvaldo is looking great in pre-season... he'll play a lot of games from subs bench though...

also i bought in a striker named ricardo jesus (random stats im guessing), who is ripping anderlecht to shreds as we speak...

06202008185349qe7.th.jpg

still no luck unfortunately.

I have created a London Utd folder in my DB folder and i have put the downloaded London Utd file into the London Utd folder that i created and it still hasn't come up. Can't see where i am going wrong.

hi slugger... this is how it should look

06202008185452fx8.th.jpg

ie.. all the files in london utd

i imagine youve created your london utd folder and then put the downloaded london utd folder into that one,

just follow the address bar on my pic

still no luck unfortunately.

I have created a London Utd folder in my DB folder and i have put the downloaded London Utd file into the London Utd folder that i created and it still hasn't come up. Can't see where i am going wrong.

Go into the folder and rename the xml file the same as the folder. If the folder is London_Utd then name the xml file that, if it's 'London Utd' then name it that (i.e. without an underscore).

Should i sign Nolan for 15 million or Cattermole for around that need another english man, finding it quite hard to sign enough players who can actually kick a ball e.g. Newcastle want 18 mil for taylor hmmm you gotta be kidding me

So, am I right in saying I can't sign a player between 22 and 27?

To simplify, you cant sign a player aged 23, 24, 25 or 26. Unless they are English that is.

Slugger_SpursFan

Mate I'll get a save game up for you tomorrow I promise. I cant do it right now because there's a littl problem with my connection. But I'll definitely have it for you tomorrow.

A couple of things though:

- I'm not sure if it will work. I was told at the start that I would need to upload the whole database as I've changed things on there.

- Let me know what leagues you want me to load for you and what size database (small, medium or large).

A True Fan

No, he doesnt mate. Because he's been capped for Nigeria IIRC.

I'd posted this rule on page 2 regarding English players:

- a player is English if he has England as his first nationality and is eligible to play for the England National team. If he has second nationality of another country also, he will be counted as English UNLESS he declares himself for that other country.

- a player is English if he has England as his second nationality AND has also got "declared for England" in his profile.

Hope that clears it up.

Slugger_SpursFan

Its all good mate. I'll get it up for ya tomorrow. icon14.gif

My assembled team so far unfortunately I havent been able to get 30 players together i only have 24 and only 3 mil left but i was wondering if i can assemble 6 more in January and that will count, however i do have 3 late bids in as i speak.

My team so far.

GK - Joe Hart

DR - Andre Bikey, Loic Abenzoar

Dl - Emanuelson, Marcelo

DC - Fazio, Lescott, Vermaelen, Sakho

DM - Albelda, Zapater, Sankhare

MC - David Jones, Ramsey, Nolan

AMC/R/L - Wijnaldum, Barnes, Fleck

ST - Saivet, Farfan, Dentinho, Aquino

total of 96 million+

5 English men all in my first team squad.

However my only worry is i do not have a out and out striker.

P.S - middlesborough were asking 20 mil+ for Cattermole this only prooves how expensive english players are.

Havn't decided whos going in my reserve team and U18s but ive got my first game with Chelsea coming up now so let us know what you think

I was also wondering if i agreed transfers say in Febuary for a player to come at the end of the season does this count as one of the 30 ive got to get in?

Cheers

mocko666

Firstly, no mate, you need those 30 players before the first transfer window shuts. I'm surprised that you werent able to sign 30 because I managed about 40!

How much did you pay for those players? I think you might have over-paid for a few of them and thats why you're having problems.

The players you've bought are mostly all good. But where you made a mistake is not buying players who can cover different positions. For eg, take your CB's. Lescot, Vermaelen and Sakho can all play CB ofcourse. But they can all play LB too. Farfan is best on the left wing and he wasnt needed there because you have Marcelo who's excellent in that position. Instead of Farfan you could have bought a proper striker.

If you want to make up numbers, you should be able to buy atleast 4/5 youth players for that 4M you have left. You'll only need to pay some compensation. If you get lucky, you can buy the following players for the prices I mention:

Benoit Costil (700K - good backup GK and becomes quality)

Sebastien Grax (1M - good ST)

Lubos Kalouda (350K - would probably have moved though)

Eduardo (Botafogo - 1.1M)

So that gives you 4 good players for your first team. But their prices might have increased since you're nearing the end of the transfer window.

right , just got back in from the mrs' house..

bored of CS:S so gonna start up my game now...

im really happy with the team i have and think its gonna be a good season...

my only concern is a striker... i have plenty of talented young players but no proven goalscorer as such, luckily my tactic rely's a lot on midfield goals also so i should be ok

My problem with the striker situation was that no English strikers were good enough for cheap enough and the likes of Rocchi and Amauri wouldnt be let go for less than 10 million or else i wouldnt have been bothered with Farfan or Dentinho, one or the other but oh well gotta work with what i got.

Finished first league gaem lost 1-0 to Chelsea but hteir Centre backs and goalkeeper got 8s so they had to perform to keep me out.

Just beat Prague in champ league quals 2-1 away so in my opinion so far so good

Archived