Another "team from scratch" challenge

• Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Argh, I had a big end of season reacp written up but then I had a PC crash, so im just going to give the results.

EPL

2nd 83 points, ten points off Arsenal, we only lost 4 games, the same as Arsenal, but it was our 8 draws that cost us most.

League Cup

Knocked out in Semis by Man City

FA Cup

Won, Beat Bolton 3-1 despite playing over half the game with 10 men.

ECL

Won, 3-2 vs Man Utd in the final. A very exciting game, with Farfan winning it with an injury time goal.

Players wise Amauri was easily the top gun with 55 goals and 15 assists in 55 games. Once again I had an in-depth report written up but have no motivation to re-write it so im not going to say much more.

Transfers wise the window isn't closed yet but I will post an update once its done. So far I have brought in Arshavin and Wright Phillips for a combined £10.8m and am looking to bring in Micah Richards but it is proving difficult.

A bit of advice, should I swap Renato Augusto for Richards, I would also have to include about £10 in transfer funds as well but I think it might be worth it as I have a backload of Attackers especially AMs so Augusto is expendable....

Good season mate. Nice work winning the CL on your first try. :thup:

I would definitely do the Augusto + 10M for Richards deal. The problem with a RB is that its very hard to find a quality one and especially one that's within the rules set. But the are plenty of midfielders that you can sign instead of Augusto. So definitely go for it.

Don't mean to steal the thunder from your thread hulk, but i just tried doing this one again and got extremely frustrated with it, i couldnt seem too win, so seeing as you named the thread "Another "team from scratch" challenge", could you direct me too any others?

Or is this the best one?

haza555

When I created this, there were quite a few number of threads that were coming up with people creating a new club. Hence the title. I dont have any particular links but look around for another London Utd thread which was started by manumoss I think. You might just find it on the Good Player and Team Guide forum if you cant find it here. There are a few others around.

Both the download links for the database are not working for me . :( Boo Hoo.. :thdn:

Filefront says there are no available servers and sendspace says the file has been deleted. :(

Will someone be kind enough to re-upload the database someplace ? I dont mind where, even rapidshare is ok with me !

Thanks in advance.

Right, I'm back with my save. Just thought I'd give a small update. I've just gotten through the Jan transfer window and its been a very weird one. Also, my game seems to have gone a little wonky as for some reason, none of the transfer prices register on the player profile screen. Dunno what went wrong. But I can still play my game thankfully.

Anyway, firstly Ancelotti has been sacked by Milan. And to replace him, Arsene Wenger has left his post at Arsenal!! That led to Arsenal trying to prise away Dennis Bergkamp from me but I offered him a new contract and thankfully, he's stayed on. So now Pat Rice has taken over there. Thats a weird one I guess because Arsenal were doing very well with Wenger around. They were top of the league by a couple of points. But since his departure, they've conceded the lead to me. Hopefully they wont be as hard to beat now. Pat Rice's reign has just seen them lose to Colchester in the FA Cup so things not looking great!

I've made a few signings as well in the window:

- Ever Banega 7M

- Havard Nordtveit 3.5M

- Walter 400K

With a 12M budget still left, I might make some additions but doubt it unless I sell someone first.

The only player on the transfer list at the moment is Kwabena Agouda. I'm looking to get 3-4M from him if possible. His physical stats are not good enough and he's blocking Prudnikovs or Balotellis step up into the first team. At the end of the season, I'm going to be moving a few players on too. But I'll leave that until I give my end of season report.

Is anybody still playing this or is there no point on posting any more updates?? :(

Anyway, I finished season 2. Dont know how but I managed to win myself the quad!! Still dont believe it because it was really unexpected. In the PL it was probably one of the most exciting seasons I've had on FM. I finished level on points with Arsenal with an identical record of winning 32 games, drawing 4 and losing 2. Problem was that I had a wayyy better goal difference than them. It would have been great had the goal difference not been much because my final game of the season was against the Gunners itself (at the Emirates). I was 3 points ahead of them at that point and the title was effectively wrapped up because my GD was more than 30 more than them. They beat me 2-1 but that didnt really make a difference tbh. Had the goal difference been just 2 or 3, it would have been great.

In the CL, after losing out in the final last year, I managed to completely over-whelm Barcelona. I had 22 shots on goal compared to their 9. However, it was again a case of the AI cheating its arse off. I was 2-1 up till about the 80th minute and was completely piling the pressure on Barca. But Xavi equalised for them in the 80th minute or so and got the scores level at 2-2. But such was my ascendency that I decided to go on an all out attack from them on. Kept testing their keeper but couldnt find a way past him even in extra-time. So it went to penalties and we kept our nerve. Both teams scored the first 4 penalties. Then bloody Kolarov choked and I was looking at a second straight final defeat. But Neuer pulled off a great save from Lucho Gonzalez to keep us in it. Both teams scored the next 2 and we scored our 3rd as well. But then Milito finally cracked and hit the ball straight at Neuer to give us the much deserved victory! :)

The FA Cup was much more straight forward with us meeting West Ham in the final. We beat them 3-1 with their goal coming as a consolation in the 90th minute. That really annoys me though as we were completely in control. The League Cup was a bit more difficult in terms of opposition. It was Arsenal who we played in the final and I played my second string team. But an inspired Arturo Vidal led us to a thumping 3-0 win!

So on to season 3 now and I think there will probably be some changes in the team:

- Both my LB's (Kolarov and Eduardo) will probably be leaving. Eduardo will definitely leave. Kolarov maybe. Eduardo made a few mistakes during the season which did not impress me one bit. And Kolarov choked in the final and also did a couple of other times in normal season. So he's now down in my books. If he stays, he wont be first choice anyway. Vidal will take over duties there.

- Miguel Torres will be leaving even though he had a solid season for me. However, Marvin Angulo is looking terrific now and will be behind Richards in the pecking order.

- Luizao will be leaving the club as well. Didnt do much wrong but I have better CB's in the squad. Like said above, Vidal will be moving to LB so this will leave me with only 2 CB's in Fazio and Taylor. Sakho will be coming into the first-team now after a good year out on loan. And Breno will be arriving from Bayern Munich. He'll be a squad player at first unless he performs better than Fazio.

- Kuzmanovic will be leaving the club for sure. Never did enough to impress me over Defour. And his constant "nervous about todays confrontation" have left me completely unimpressed. Banega (bought in Jan) will be on rotation with Defour

- Agouda will be leaving the club. Michael Owen will also be moving on as he is now 29 and will be 30 soon. His stats took a sudden hike mid-season and he became a world-class striker as per his description. But I dont like keeping older players in the squad. Prudnikov will replace Agouda as Amauri's backup and Walter (bought in Jan) will step into the first-team as well. Walter, Prudnikov and Zarate will all 3 be on rotation and the one who impresses most will keep their place in the first team. Saivet and Balotelli will go on loan for one more season.

My biggest problem will be upfront I reckon. I'm very tempted to buy someone tbh. But next year, I'll be selling Amauri as well because he'll be turning 30 then. So then I will have 5 strikers in my squad who are very young and wont have the capability to take over from Amauri. So I've decided to play them a lot this year and hope that they improve dramatically as I would like them to be good enough to be relied on next year.

My other problem is my other youngsters. Wijnaldum, Buonanotte, Kalouda and Sankhare all look very good but I have practically no space in the squad. I'll be selling Kalouda for sure as he's now 22 and he needs to play first-team football. He looks great but not better than Matias and I cant sell Barnes. Buonanotte needs to play as well imo. He's 21 and I'm not doing him any favours keeping him in the reserves. But space is the problem. Wijnaldum is still young although I would dearly like to make space for him. But I can send him on loan for 1 season more I guess. Lets see. There are a whole host of other youngsters as well coming up well.

But anyway, this is the plan for now. Lets see how much of it I actually carry out. Will report back again. Hopefully some more people will start posting on this thread in the meantime.

A good second season there Hulk, dominated everything, but I know what you mean about it took you by supprise. Im looking forward to seeing which moves you make.

I will be posting in here again, just getting past the first month of my Arsenal save before I start playing this alongside it.

Cheers Mark.

I'm off on holiday for a week or so. Wont have the game with me so I wont be able to play. Will post my full transfers when I get back. But in brief, so far I've sold Kalouda, Kolarov, Torres, Agouda, Luizao and Kuzmanovic. I've also sent a bunch of kids out on loan. And I've brought in only Breno so far for my first team. I've decided not to sell Owen for 2 reasons: (a) because I cant find any other good and resonably priced English players and (b) because Taylor, Fazio, Amauri, Marcelo, Zapater and Defour all "feel that Owen is a vital part of the team". If I sold him, I'm sure to upset someone so wont take that chance. Also, I've decided keep Eduardo. I actually got 20M + 50% offers for accepted from Sevilla and more importantly, Real Madrid. And he decided to reject both of them because he didnt think that a move to Spain will be a good career decision!! That impressed me tbh. Rejecting Madrid is not easy. So he stays for now I guess.

The players promoted to the first team are:

- Marvin Angulo (on rotation with Micah at RB)

- Alexandr Prudnikov (on rotation with Amauri at ST)

- Mamadou Sakho (on rotation with Taylor at CB)

I definitely dont need to buy any more players imo. I've got a good squad now and I'm happy with it. But I do have some decisions to make regarding who to send on loan and what youngster to maybe move on. Some of them like Buonanotte are looking class but cant find a place in my team sadly.

My team:

GK - Neuer/Foster

LB - Vidal/Eduardo

RB - Richards/Angulo

CB - Taylor/Sakho

CB - Fazio/Breno

CM(d) - Zapater/Stelvio

CM - Defour/Banega

AML - Marcelo/Aquino

AMR - Fernandez/Barnes

ST - Amauri/Prudnikov

ST - Owen/Zarate

The only thing I'm contemplating right now is whether to send Stelvio and Aquino out on loan for a season. They've played about 25-30 games for me last season. But the problem is that I think they need a season of regular football for their stats to really break out. I can use Buonanotte on the left wing while Aquino is on loan. I dont have anybody to cover DM just yet though. Will keep you posted on what I do when I get back! :thup:

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished my 5th season on this save. But I've decided to abandon it now unfortunately. My youngsters have all come up really, really well but there's this thread is completely dead and plus my game has developed some bug where I cant see any of the past history, transfers etc.

Good luck to any who're still playing. :thup::)

Hulk

Gutted about that bug mate. Yeah I havent even played manager in the past few weeks, got exams on currently so when im not studying I just try fit in a game of FIFA or something. Do you think you will start a similar challenge with FM 09? I would be keen for that :thup:

Mark.

Thanx for the reply. I'll definitely be looking to start something similar for FM09 but only after 3-5 months after its been out. Because before that everybody will be too busy playing as their favourite teams and trying out new things. But yeah, will definitely make another challenge similar to this after a while! :)

• 3 months later...

Archived