Another "team from scratch" challenge

ghelsea won the league by 3 points from arsenal on mine.

My current captain is Poulsen with Zapater vice capt. might change this year not sure yet.

On a plus not i just signed M Johnson for 14mil.

think i need an older, more experiance cb to go with bellaid and fazio who won supporters player of the year by the way.

• Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont like the way arsenal are so good on 802 and the way chelseas defence is perfect ivanovic, belletti and ben haim are all pathetic but they amazing on fm. But anyway i picked Steven Taylor because hes english and bergkamp recomended him as captain and ambrosini as vice captain because of influence.

I love the way my team demolishes chelsea 4-0 away then draws 1-1 with boton at home.

Hulk where in defence are you looking for players? Because cb is easy look at richards and taylor and if theyre not in budget look at lescott or barzagli if your lucky and hes still at palermo. Bring sakho in as he quickly improves.

Lb is very easy marcelo, razack traore, armand traore or emanuelsson

Rb is much more difficult but richards is unbeleivable there for me. Ryan taylor is getting sold asap. Wes Brown maybe. i did find a dutch player called zuiverloon who looks very good already and is young.

hope that helps xD

I need a striker, a dm and a goalie for season 2 any suggestions??

Yeah Zuiverloon is a good player (in real life too) and he scored past me in europe when Taylor miscontrolled the ball and gave it to him icon_razz.gif.

Right back is more difficult for sure. I tried to sign Wes Brown in the first season but they wanted much more from me because I'm a potential league rival although he probably won't cost that much. This season though his value has risen. Richards would be an awesome signing. Vermaelen can play on the left side too as well as those stated. On my Barzagli started a bidding war and he ended up going to Barca for just under 20m. I already have half an eye on who I will sign come the new year so fingers crossed icon_smile.gif.

antfm08

Thanx for the suggestions mate, but:

Richards - too expensive at 40M+. Might be able to unsettle but still wont come less than 20M. Too much. Also, scout says he'll want 80K/week. Not happening.

Taylor - desperate to land him. But they want 25M+. Trying to unsettle him currently.

Lescott - they want 20M+ for him. Not worth it.

Barzagli - at Juventus.

Marcelo & AR Traore - have both but play them as ML. Both horrendous on defence and no way will I play them there.

Armand T - would love to have him but too expensive.

Emanuelson - poor in defence.

Zuiverloon - already tried and they want 10M+ for him. Out of range.

Wes Brown - good suggestion, thanx for that. Hopefully they wont want a ridiculous price.

-----------------------------------------------

Suggestions for you:

ST - Ricardo Oliviera (9M - over 27), Cesar Delgado (Lyon - over 27), James Vaughan (9M if Everton didnt do well), Peter Crouch, Billy Sharp, Thierry Henry (becomes cheap in season 2 and would serve you well for 2 years I guess).

DM - Lee Cattermole (usually turns out quality), Francesco Bolzoni (starts off with decent stats but becomes great), Fabrice Muamaba (decent player), Owen Hargreaves (if lucky), Sunny (usually availble cheap after season 1)

GK - Benoit Costil (should be developed decently), Joe Hart (7M?), Paul Robinson (very good on game for some reason and usually available cheapish). You should really be fine with Foster though mate. He's quality. There's not much point selling him because if you remember in the opening post, I mentioned that 50% of his sell on fee will go to Man Utd!

Hope that helps!

Zellix

Vermelean on mine has 15 clubs interested and 10 bids for him ive had an offer of 7m accepted but not sure if he'll join. I had half an eye on players for next year then they all got sold icon_frown.gif.

Just realised ive lost my only real striker gyan asamoah to cup of nations as well and also Ayew. i dont know who to put in his place out of these:

farfan (currently on wing)

saivet (sending out to feeder club)

ayew (africa CON)

I think the only other replacement apart from bojan is some rubbish regen in u18s.

Sorry for the double post but this conceding away from home is insane. I went through on aggregate but I just conceded four goals to Aston Villa, would you believe it.

Lol. Actually its very hard to contain Aston Villa at times. They've got a lot of pace in their squad and it really cant be a pain in the backside. Not surprised to hear they scored 4 past you. They scored 3 against my Arsenal team once consisting of a backline of Ramos, Chiellini, Toure and Barzagli fgs! And that was all in the first half. Learnt never to do that again though. Second half, I knocked 8 past them! icon_cool.gif

Vermaelen - yep, tried him too! They want 20M for him as well! Bloody greedy buggers. I should really have got him in season 1 itself instead of that moron Miranda! BAH! I hope I can sell him for a decent price. No interest so far.

Was just checking the new regens that my club gave me this season and only one of them had a decent report from Bergkamp. He got a "potential to be a good player" rating. ALL the others were "offload" fgs!

But I got curious so checked the PA of all the new arrivals at my club. Everyone is below 140 except for the one given the "good" rating. His PA - 189! He's a GK AND he's English!! icon_biggrin.gif

So thats 2 seasons in a row I've got English players in my youth who have got a very high PA! Lucky me!

cheers hulk gave me good ideas icon_biggrin.gif

I like the look of henry and sunny is a good idea too. Ive never had sharp but i know many people say hes quality. Dms look like i should give them a go as i dont know if ambrosini's legs will last.

Costil is turning out alright so i spose dm and st need to be looked at more.

I dont like foster as in my first save where i cheated and took away his injury he made so many mistakes and lost me so many games. Hart maybe a good idea but not keen on an english gk. Robinson no way i scored 7 past him added to the fact hes unbelevable rubbish in real life lol.

I unsettled richards and put a bid of 22.5m + 30% next fee and they accepted straight away.

You should be able to get Taylor for around 15m if unsettled. Have a look at rafael forster from brazil as he his quite good. Suprisingly, Marcelo has been solid so far lol, Nicky Shorey and Wayne bridge could be worth a shot but i dont know how old they are.

Tip to everyone look at Tales (brazilian) as my scout says he can be as good as riquelme. And DONT buy Ryan Taylor

Lucky you Hulk I get highest of 162 lol but i have a player arriving in 2010 with 196 PA. I dont really use regens much tho i preferr nicking the youth from other teams like we all do. Sakho, Saivet, Bounante (sp) all spring to mind...

Ok, I think I know which RB I want. But I'll put all the contenders here and see what you lot have to say. I want a first choice RB btw. And I might even sell Apam and buy another second choice RB. The following are all available in my price range:

- Nedum Onuoha

- Zdenek Grygera

- Willy Sagnol

- Habib Beye

- Antonio Barragan

- Abdoulaye Meite

- Luke Young

So what say?

My highest so far was 156... :/. The players with the best PA even if they were maxed out don't look good enough to be in the 1st team, ever. But it's a shame to let them go to waste so I hope a lower league club will buy some of them or take them for free.

Tales looks pretty crap on my game, at least compared to Riquelme with his PA too. Sunny and Henry both looks good you know icon_smile.gif. I was thinking about bidding for Sunny myself and I noticed Henry's price decreasing.

I'm just really hoping someone buys one of my players for a lot of money so I can buy a really good English player or something xD.

Vermaelen has been class in my team, hasn't scored as much as the big boys but he's the most reliable defender in my side. Alex Silva is a dummy and lets the ball role past him but he's a big presence in the box and can score many with his head.

The amount of games is very hard at this point in the season and my players are getting tired. Nolan just got injured for a cup game against Liverpool so I'm hoping a young lad will be good to step up for a big game but Farfan is back now icon_smile.gif.

i just got knocked out of the cup 7-2 by tottenham at white hart lane but at silent valley i beat them 7-2 so it equal. What zellix said about too many goals let in at home is true though.

i used genie scout thing for the first time ever with tales and every technical stat apart from defensive one wer 17+ and physical mental was good. I've got riquelme tutoring him now so alls good apart from the bollocking from board about fa cup. I badly need Gyan back...

What is tales like on yours? On mine he is like this with max potential: Click here

Weird...I get Nolan, Barry Robson, Wijnaldum and Lebedev injured all on the same day. Might have to call Piatti back from loan if all goes bad but luckily got a lot of cover there.

Forgot to mention although I have Elliot and Chretien I've actually had Marvin Angulo playing at RB for most of the season and he's done much better than the other two.

Wow lol 18 goals over two legs? Haha pretty insane is that icon_razz.gif.

Originally posted by theincrediblehulk:

How the hell has Tales got a PA of 185 when he's only a -9PA player which means a maximum PA of 179??

How you know that lol

Maybe a bug, maybe a lying genie scout im not familiar with it so i dont know or it could be my team failing to perform yet again. icon_mad.gif

Okay, Drew 2-2 at Home against Barca in the 1st Leg of the 1st Knockout Stage. Pretty sure I'm going to lose away, unless a miracle happens.

I'm lying in 3rd place in the league after 27 matches, 1 point ahead of Man City and Chelsea, and 10 points behind leaders Man Utd. W16 D5 L6 so far.

Playing Chelsea at Home in the FA Cup 6th Round. I should beat them hopefully if the AI doesn't make Cech invincible again.

Currently using different formations, due to constant annoying injuries of main players. Tried playing Crouch up there with another striker but didn't quite workout so back using a lone striker.

Originally posted by antfm08:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theincrediblehulk:

How the hell has Tales got a PA of 185 when he's only a -9PA player which means a maximum PA of 179??

How you know that lol

Maybe a bug, maybe a lying genie scout im not familiar with it so i dont know or it could be my team failing to perform yet again. icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

genie is always accurate mate.... arent you getting sick of it yet? try it without edit

Finished 4th season 1, bought Taylor sold Elliot + a few regens. Season 2 8 wins out of 8 ,only conceded 2 both late consolation goals, and Ryan Taylor has chipped in with a hat trick.

Tales moved down to 179

is that ok hulk?

heres him at full pa 179 and at 185 thers no bloody difference fgs

179- 179hw6.th.png

185- scroll up a bit...

Just wanna point out i didnt edit him. I just searched genie and he was there at 185.

Its not for me to say mate. Its your game and you've got every right to play it the way you want to really. You can move all your players up to 199PA and I wouldnt say a word or judge. I've moved players PA's around before and I do it all the time when I play as Arsenal. I always make sure I edit Flaminis PA a little.

And no, there will never be much of a difference in a players stats on genie scout if you reduce his pa from 185 to 179. The way the program works, you'll have to take it down quite a bit to notice a difference really.

But like said above, genie scout doesnt edit players PA's on its own. And neither does the game. You say you didnt do it. Fair enough. Either way, the player is not develop at the start. So you still have to train him properly to get him to the standard shown in genie scout and that might not be easy.

Ive deleted genie scout anyway. I dont like the way it shows everyone from every teams pa. I think thats going too far cheating wise.

Anyway gyans finally back from african cup of nations so my season is getting back on track.

Just won the league cup and beat man utd 7-5 at old trafford in the league. Why I'm scoring 7 and why I'm letting in 5 goals is beyond me.

Are man utd using a formation similar to kimz on anyones game??

Yeah Man Utd are using a formation similar to Kimz.

I'm currently lying in 3rd place after 34 matches, 1 point ahead of Chelsea, 4 ahead of Man City. Man Utd are 1st, Arsenal 2nd. Arsenal are 12 points ahead of me so best I can do is 3rd place if I don't mess up my last 4 matches.

I'm playing Arsenal in the FA Cup final - will most likely lose.

I gotta find a better formation though. I'll have to experiment in friendlies next season.

End of 2007 report:

Lying 3rd in the prem. One point behind Arsenal with a game in hand. Liverpool are sweeping all before them at the top. They are 3 points clear with of Arsenal with 2 games in hand. They have only shipped 8 goals in the league all season.

League Cup - semi final awaits against Chelsea

CL - Finished second in group (unbeaten) to Real Madrid and Milan awaits in First Knockout Round

Two defeats all season thus far - away to Man City and Fulham

Major Successes:

Nicky Shorey - consistently performed at full back, Left midfield and even AML. Tops assist charts in the prem with 18

Steven Fletcher - 15 goals in 19 starts and averages 7.45

Petit - Another very consistent performer. Tops prem averages in passing accuracy

Major Failures:

My tutors - Savage, Svennson and Di Biagio have proved a waste of time. Only managed 3 starts between them, Svennson is already away by mutual consent and the other two languish in the reserves. In retrospect I should not have bothered with them as tutors

Dean Ashton - Averaging 6.92 with 9 in 26 games. Bad signing for me. Maybe he just doesn't seem to function in my formation

I have let Favuergue, my loan signing go as he wasn't getting a start as I am now playing with one up front and this tends to be Fletcher . Stancu in on Jan 1st is only other change in the offing.

I would like a bit more craft behind the lone striker for next season - someone like Thiago Neves, but I dont use FMM so thats out. I only have one overage player so any suggestions for next season gratefully appreciated, as long as I can get them to play for under 50 grand a week

Hulk

Thanks for setting all this up mate. I am really enjoying the challenge. Its sort of revitalized my interest again.

potemkin125

You're welcome mate. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

AMC - Riquelme should be the answer to your problems I suppose. Quality player and he's got all the craft you need. Will come under 10M and will not ask for wages about 50K either I dont think. If Rosicky is still at Arsenal, he usually becomes available cheap in season 2. He's an option too in that case as he's extremely good.

End Of Season Report

The season started off very badly for London Utd as I am sad to say the players I have brought in badly failed to gel. However after a tough first half of the season London Utd were in 4th place 7 points behind the leaders Arsenal. London Utd's problem this was the

inability to finish games against lower oppostion. But on a plus note wins over Man utd, Arsenal and Chelsea pleased the board. That softened the blow of the Champions league where I went out in the group stages:

Valencia-----11

Roma --------9

Sporting CP--7

London Utd---7

However as the season went on London Utd began to gel and this enforced a 14 match unbeaten run which was sadly ended by Liverpool. Then the Africa Cup of Nations hit me and I lost the main goalscoring threat of Gyan Asamoah. But when he returned The Entertainers went on a seven game winning streak including wins over Arsenal, Man Utd and Chelsea which meant I overtook Arsenal at the top of the Table.

Soon after that folowed a victory over Newcastle in the League Cup Final. For the last game of the season London faced Fulham knowing that a win would seal the title. And London drummed Fulham 3-1 to ensre the title came to the Silent Valley where it belongs.

Manager Overview

moverviewow3.th.png

As you can see Riquelme and Gyan Asamoah carried the team single handedly to the title.

Season 2

Have a shortlist drawn up but most are ambitious so suggestions could help. Need a partner for Gyan and a RB and a MC

It never rains but it pours xD. I just conceded another four away goals, this time ashamedly against Blackburn. Thankfully Chretien has messed his face up so if I decide to leave a game to the AM he won't get picked. On a side note, I know I can ask the AM to include players but is their any way to exclude players? So if I have a big game coming up or I just don't want Bergkamp picking players I want out the team other than to select the whole squad myself? Anyway it's getting to the really exciting part of the season so wish me luck icon_biggrin.gif.

Some of these results are crazeh, I think some people have been using the editor to gain an advantage icon_razz.gif.

Knap how many goals to Aguero score past you when you played?

How are peoples signings coming along in the second season anyway?

Originally posted by theincrediblehulk:

Vermaelen - yep, tried him too! They want 20M for him as well! Bloody greedy buggers. I should really have got him in season 1 itself instead of that moron Miranda! BAH! I hope I can sell him for a decent price. No interest so far.

i got him for £5M first season yet to play him is he any good?

I know fixtures are rammed together but has anybody else got absolutely ridiculously crazy placed fixtures? I have a league game on the 29th (sat), then come the 2nd (Wednesday) a continental game, then four days later a cup game on the sixth then two days later a continental game, then four days later a league game. Then presuming I go out of everything and no other fixtures are added I have another league game four days after that and another one three days after that then gaps of like 7 or 8 days where their are just league games and the season will essentially be finished.

I might not have noticed this previously because I had a big squad and in some respects it represents real life. I know like a few other people here probably have done I could use the editor to make my players fit for games but I'm going to play fair otherwise their's no point signing a decent squad but blimey I totally didn't realize that probably the three biggest games of the season are all within eight days of eachother and my squad is already fatigued icon_frown.gif. Any ideas for getting the players fit? I'm rotating as much as I can and I will drop training down to keep the lads as fit as possible.

What's an acceptable minimum condition? As I try and find someone else if they are below 95%.

antfm08

Good season and well done on winning the league. icon14.gif

ST - Try Lupoli. I'm trying to unsettle him at the moment.

RB - I'm looking as well. After Meite right now. Could also try Zuiverloon if he's available in the price. Too expensive on mine.

MC - Try Daniele Dessena or Andres D'Alessandro.

Ruh Roh

Went a bit mental there didnt he?! icon_biggrin.gif

Zellix

No, I dont think you can ask your assistant manager to NOT pick a particular player. Try to put him in the U18 and see if that works.

My season 2 signings are not coming at all! Still struggling to find the right players. I've got options but not one that I look at and get even a little excited. The ones I want are just a tad out of the limits. Trying like mad to unsettle them atm!

Fitness - anything above 90% is fine mate. As long as the player has decent stamina, he'll be able to last the match. If you want them to gain some of the fitness back, whenever you have a gap of say 3 days, give them about 2 days of rest. Only the ones that have played a lot though. Let them rest for those 2 days and they should be fine. If someone with very slow natural fitness is fatigued as well, give him a day more to recover or something. You should be fine. icon14.gif

It appears that the centre backs are good for different formations and perhaps are slightly different in every game (I'm not sure of this maybe if someone can shed some light as I don't really play FM08 very much until). Most people swear by Felipe but he has been god damned awful for me even for the cut down price I bough him for. Alex Silva is good going forward but rarely seems to defend properly. On the other hand Vermaelen is class and Miranda has played very well although he doesn't score from corners for me. Surprisingly as a CB he's scored from open play a few times and penalties too as well as looking decent. I'm not sure though, it could be that the other guys make more mistakes and I notice that more.

Sorry this may sound stupid but how do I rest my players in training. I'm not sure if it was FM07 or another manager game I played before but in the schedule their was a rest icon but I can't see non nor a rest schedule. Do I have to create a new schedule with low workload?

Archived