Sports Interactive Community
Goldy

FMO Help! All you ever needed to know but were too afraid to ask! So no need to post anywhere else!

Welcome to the FMO Help Thread, firstly I would like to inform you that this is no SI Offical Help Thread, here we the Forum Regulars will try our best to help you when we have time and hope to guide you on your way to your FMO pleasure, if your in serious need for Help then you can always visit the Support Forums.

FM13 Online Bugs Forum <--- Click on the required link to take you to that forum.

We the FMO Community, will try and help you with your FM issues, so please dont complain as we don´t know all the answers!

What YOU need to KNOW!

FMO Basics - What we know that YOU need to KNOW! Before doing anything, please check out the FMO Basics, here you will learn all about the "basics" from setting up a game of FM to learning how to get players for your game and get your FMO experience underway. FMO Basics - Click Here to check out the Basics!

Your Problems!

There have been a diverse range of questions that have been asked for when it comes to wanting to play FM Online, from people having problems connecting to the game to people just not being able to regain control of their team, we have tried to look through all our previous help threads to create a list of the most common and regular questions asked within the forum so that you can easily access all the information you need so that you can get your FM Online experience underway.

Hamachi - What is it?

How Do I Find Out My IP Address? If your not sure which your IP address is then there are plenty of websites around to tell you, for example you can use: http://www.whatsmyip.org/ or http://whatismyipaddress.com/ and it will display it on the screen, this is the one you need to give out to players wanting to join (For LAN Games see the FMO Basics Thread)

Do We Need The Same Database? If your going to play online then all the players must use the same database that are taking part, if your going to be using an edited database then its at your own risk, most games will smoothly but if problems arise then thats the most probable reason.

Do We Need The Same Patch? Yes you do, without being on the same "Patch" version you will not be able to connect.

Is A Mac To PC Or PC To Mac Compatible? Yes it is, it doesnt matter who is hosting, it should work either way round.

Is Vista compatible with XP And Vice Versa? Yes it is, it doesnt matter who is hosting, it should work either way round.

What Ports Do I Need To Open? The Ports required for FM are 10093 & 10094 on TCP and UDP

How Do I Configure My Ports? If you are not sure how do configure your router then we would recommend visiting: http://www.portforward.com/ here you can choose your router or a similar make and model and follow instructions on how to configure it for these ports.

What Is Best Way To Join / Leave A Game? Its recommended to set your return date to "indefinitely" (Manager > Options > Go on Holiday) and then use the "Disconnect" option to leave the game. When rejoining the game all you now need to do is click next to your team name "not connected" and you will be prompted to "resume control" of your club.

My friend and i cannot connect when I host- he is on vista and im on a mac. I have got a sky router and it seems that in my operating system it would not let me turn my firewall off- snow leopard.

I did the port forwarding stuff - when i looked at my game status it said the first bit of the ip address ended with .04, normally this is .01 is it not? I wasnt sure with the portforwarding if i needed to then edit the incoming/outgoing things from .01 to .04

it lets us connect together when he hosts but it ran really slow on my imac, which is a beast with 4gb. Not sure how to fix this problem, but it was before i had done any portforwarding. is there an easy solution?

I downloaded hamachi, but my god it is confusing on a mac, especially to a terminal n00b like myself. advice please....

Ps- if someone wouldnt mind testing it with me sometime please email me - email removed if you share the time - maybe not tonight but give me a shout if youre free.thanks

Net games do not run as smoothly as solo games and it depends on the hosts internet upload speed along with ram, memory speed etc. It also could be to do with the time you are playing the game as some ISP's have peak times and off peak times when traffic on their net could be slowing everything up.

On the port forwarding front you port forward the internal IP you have on your game status screen. It could be to open your router settings the IP ends in .01 and other computers connected to the your network as well.

So many variables when trying to decide exactly what is causing your game problems tbf.

yeah, obviously to log into router its .01 but then on the game its .04

So you think i should for incoming just have set the one address - the .04 one? the instructions on portforward arent all that clear for my router. but then i would say that as its not working at the moment! Just need to test it really and my friend isnt on all the time. like i said, if someone fancies testing it then pm me. as it seems my address has been removed!

If your game status shows that the address ending .04 is your internal IP then obviously that will be the internal IP you are port forwarding for. If it were to change then you would have to change your port forwarding obviously.

What type of router do you have?

My friends on wireless im not... we cant join a network game using hamachi properly any help .. solutions will be greatly appreciated

add me to messenger i`ll help you

1)How many players can play simultaneously in an online game? Are they up to 16?

2)If there is no limit, from which version of Football Manager was the limit of 16 players broken?

Thanks.

Well there hasnt been a limit in Football Manager, just look at some of the clan games that are happening, in OTF for example, they get 20 peopl together to play in the prem, the problem with having so many players playing (while is does sound fun) means the game will move very very slowly, as you got 20 players doing everything.

I cant even remember their being a limit in CM? I saw netgames with over 16 people their too, its just as mentioned above, games even with more than 10 people have been seen to take quite some time and thus the interest being lost as things dont move as people some people like or are used to in their own single player games.

Obivously for a clan it always helps having the right kind of people, this is never easy, and trying to get 20 together is even more difficult!

Steve, Andy, couple of things for you guys to run around with. Previous versions, every member of a "clan" had to have same db, patched whatever to be able to run correctly. Is this going to be an issue if the host adds additional leagues? Will the rest have to have a copy of that db? If some have gone through steam and the others have the disc, will this also be problematic in the above scenario?

Fergus

Steve, Andy, couple of things for you guys to run around with. Previous versions, every member of a "clan" had to have same db, patched whatever to be able to run correctly. Is this going to be an issue if the host adds additional leagues? Will the rest have to have a copy of that db? If some have gone through steam and the others have the disc, will this also be problematic in the above scenario?

Fergus

any database changes to the hosts or any player who connects database then everyone in the clan has to have the same database so would be a good idea to send it round the clan before you play

and it wont matter whether you have the boxed or downloaded version of the game s they are all the same the only thing that could be tricky is when it comes to adding the db file to the right folder as when the game is downloaded through steam i dont tink it installs it like normal so you wont get the sports interactive folder on your hard drive

Has there been any thought into having a dedicated server for the FM series? When I play online my friends have lag that makes the gameplay a lot poorer than the person who hosts.

Has there been any thought into having a dedicated server for the FM series? When I play online my friends have lag that makes the gameplay a lot poorer than the person who hosts.

the only way this works online is by someone hosting the game on their pc/laptop and others connect to it

the dedicated server doesnt work as me and some friends tried it on fm05 and it was even slower than connecting to someones pc/laptop as SI have no thoughts about setting up a dedicated server otherwise they wouldnt have brought out FMlive

Hi there, me and my friend are trying to start a network game I have disabled my firewall, and started a server I also checked my I.P. as advised higher but still get an error. :(

If anyone can give me a more detailed advice I would be very grateful :p

Oh I am using Football Manager 2010

What error message are you getting?

If you have a router will need to port forward to allow FM. www.portforward.com is the website you can use to help you. Choose your router, click on FM 2006 as it is the same ports and follow the instructions. You also do not to have a dynamic IP so ignore that bit in the instructions.

Me and a friend keep getting the error "unable to connect to server" when we enter the address in the bar when we select join network game. We have tried many different IP addresses and the same error appears everytime, anyone have any suggestions?

If you have a router will need to port forward to allow FM. www.portforward.com is the website you can use to help you. Choose your router, click on FM 2006 as it is the same ports and follow the instructions. You also do not to have a dynamic IP so ignore that bit in the instructions.

just do what andy said and then try again

hi, me and my friend created a database with new nation rules and 2 new teams and about 20 new players. we did this with fm09 and it worked like a dream on a LAN and online. Now, I have the best pc (laptop) which has the fastest proccessor and so i was the host. He can connect to me but as soon as he confirms his new manager I get a crash dump.

So we decided to try his as a host but the same thing happened. What do I do? I have portforwarded, updated all my drivers and he has done the same. We really were looking forward to playing our new nation online. Please help.

Hey read the thread, I consider myself pretty good with computers, last year, my friend and I had great fun with network game in 2009. We were looking forward to 2010 but we have a problem.

He sees my game and he can join it, but as soon as I move to another screen(Game status to inbox). His game just freezes and in the game status screen it just shows Benfica as "take control". Since he's on Vista I told him to delete his %appdata% files and to cancel his firewall. He's said he's done those things so I don't know whats causing the problem. Is it because I am on windows 7?

Thanks

I played online with my friend last year, and there was no problem. I'm the host, he could run the game smoothly without any trouble. Now we started a new game with fm10 and it's just so laggy for him.He usually has to wait for 6-7 seconds to get from one page to another, but i can't understand why.

My upload speed is pretty decent(100KB/s) , so i can't think of it as the cause of the problem.

im having trouble with my network play, my mate is hosting i have followed the manual i put in the ip address off his game and always come's up with error can anyone help

im having trouble with my network play, my mate is hosting i have followed the manual i put in the ip address off his game and always come's up with error can anyone help

I played online with my friend last year, and there was no problem. I'm the host, he could run the game smoothly without any trouble. Now we started a new game with fm10 and it's just so laggy for him.He usually has to wait for 6-7 seconds to get from one page to another, but i can't understand why.

My upload speed is pretty decent(100KB/s) , so i can't think of it as the cause of the problem.

Judging from browsing the latest uploads speed of various ISP's an upload speed of 100KB/s is not very good at all. The minimum upload speed I saw from various ISP's at the moment was 400 KB/s.

Last night tried to start a network game with my buddy. He logged on me through hamachi after i unblocked it. I use McCafee firewall but i think it uses windows firewall cos thats when i went to run the game as a server it let me grant acess. And it did fine. Trouble is my computer is not handling the new Footman so well. Ive always hosted. But he has better net and pc now so he was gonna host. We tried for hours, his windows firewall is broke,(dunno how) so he got comodo. This actually gave him an option to let footman grant acess to the internet. So we thought amazing. Again then tho. All i would get was unable to connect to server. So we port forwarded. Both didnt know what we were doing. Mine works says the port is open. Thanks Port Checker. However his again don't work. Im not sure if hes ********..everything is ok at my end you get me...so basically...why dont you think hamachi works? It says were both on..and what ip address do you put in to get on his port for the port forward to work. Were in a pickle. I dont want to host.Advice plz from the footman gods would be nice.

*It wouldnt let me put in r e t a r d e d? wtf. lol

Last night tried to start a network game with my buddy. He logged on me through hamachi after i unblocked it. I use McCafee firewall but i think it uses windows firewall cos thats when i went to run the game as a server it let me grant acess. And it did fine. Trouble is my computer is not handling the new Footman so well. Ive always hosted. But he has better net and pc now so he was gonna host. We tried for hours, his windows firewall is broke,(dunno how) so he got comodo. This actually gave him an option to let footman grant acess to the internet. So we thought amazing. Again then tho. All i would get was unable to connect to server. So we port forwarded. Both didnt know what we were doing. Mine works says the port is open. Thanks Port Checker. However his again don't work. Im not sure if hes ********..everything is ok at my end you get me...so basically...why dont you think hamachi works? It says were both on..and what ip address do you put in to get on his port for the port forward to work. Were in a pickle. I dont want to host.Advice plz from the footman gods would be nice.

*It wouldnt let me put in r e t a r d e d? wtf. lol

Use www.portforward.com to help with the port forwarding. I know nothing about Hamachi as I have never had to use it or no one I know has had to use to play FM online.

Well we both used portforward and as far as i know my port is open...but what ip address do you put in to football manager after you set everything up. The one for the port? Thats where im confused at. His Router is

http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Huawei/EchoLife-HG520b/Football_Manager_2006.htm

and mine is

http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/BT/BT2700HGV/Football_Manager_2006.htm

Probs being really stupid but its very frustrating.

Who ever is hosting gives out their external IP (the IP after the / on the game status screen).

You also have to make sure that whoever hosts makes sure their internal IP matches the internal IP (the IP before the /) matches the IP on the game status screen.

How bad is the lag as there will always be lag when playing FM Online due to the nature of the game.

Judging from browsing the latest uploads speed of various ISP's an upload speed of 100KB/s is not very good at all. The minimum upload speed I saw from various ISP's at the moment was 400 KB/s.

100 KB/s equals to 800 Kbps which is almost the best you can get here in Italy, but also in the US. As i said it used to work just fine last year, so i just can't figure out what causes this problem.

Hi,

Me & my mate are both on O2 boradband with the O2 wireless box 2(Thomson TG585) & we can not join either of our games if we set one up i have created static ip address turned all firewalls off including ones on the router opened ports 10093 & 10094 run as server is ticked. Now we got it to work Saturday afternoon after alot of fiddling but the next day nothing had changed & we cannot enter eithers game & we have now been trying everything under the sun but nothing works ive created many different static ips. Would anybody be able to advise if i am missing something or not done something because i am completely out of ideas

Thanks

Scott

How bad is the lag as there will always be lag when playing FM Online due to the nature of the game.

the lag is really bad in this fm mate. is there any way to improve it because im playing my friend and his upload speed is 350 and at my end its taking up to 13 seconds to go into a player etc when u click on them. whats causing this?

any help would be great. thanks.

You could try turning off player pics, logos etc to see if that makes a difference. How many leagues do you have loaded? What size of database are you using? Could also be the time you are playing at as with ISP's these days having peak times and off peaks and other hidden things to hinder connections these days.

I mean I played last week with four players for awhile and we did not experience any lag at all.

You could try turning off player pics, logos etc to see if that makes a difference. How many leagues do you have loaded? What size of database are you using? Could also be the time you are playing at as with ISP's these days having peak times and off peaks and other hidden things to hinder connections these days.

I mean I played last week with four players for awhile and we did not experience any lag at all.

we are playing with 3 leagues loaded. but that dont make any difference because we tried with one league but it was still the same.

4 players and no lag?? christ its just me and my mate and its becoming unbearable to say the least. think we got through 12 days in fm in about 5 hours.

Yeah it is really weird as there is a clan game running with a load of players and they seem to be moving at a fair pace as well.

Has there been any issues with unticking move matches for TV because we have done this and my friend is still playing his game around 12 30 on the same day but me at 3

Before you started the game did you both untick that option? I think it only works if both have it unticked before the game has been created.

hi me and my mate have not been able to play online for the past 3 football managers and weve had enough... we have both turned all firewalls off and opened the ports on our routers but it still says unable to connect to server!!!! :@:@

any help greatly appreciated

Hi,

Me & my mate are both on O2 boradband with the O2 wireless box 2(Thomson TG585) & we can not join either of our games if we set one up i have created static ip address turned all firewalls off including ones on the router opened ports 10093 & 10094 run as server is ticked. Now we got it to work Saturday afternoon after alot of fiddling but the next day nothing had changed & we cannot enter eithers game & we have now been trying everything under the sun but nothing works ive created many different static ips. Would anybody be able to advise if i am missing something or not done something because i am completely out of ideas

Thanks

Scott

same problems mate any solutions please let me know

I take it you mean the saved game? If so then no we didnt, it was while we were playing the game.

You both have to do it before the game is created.

the lag is really bad in this fm mate. is there any way to improve it because im playing my friend and his upload speed is 350 and at my end its taking up to 13 seconds to go into a player etc when u click on them. whats causing this?

any help would be great. thanks.

just a stab in the dark but how old our pc and the people your playing with. If your PC older than 3 years then expect lag or maybe you lack ram, you should be looking at least 2gb of ram, of course 4gb is nice ;)

I've been playing/hosting CMO/FMO games now for 7 years solid.

I've found if the host is using a 6mb BB or slower then lag is going to happen and come FM10 or FM11 anyone with 10 mb* or under will face lag as well. (*just a rough guess)

the issue is the amount of information that gets transferred over during a FMO game.

of course switching off all pointless add ons in the game like pictures, logos, sounds and skins etc etc

I know its hard to enforce but getting fellow players to only play FM on there PC while your all playing.

use shortcut keys, i.e. by pressing spacebar instead of using the mouse is actually quicker when your continuing.

or maybe its because you share your router with another user.

tbh there’s plenty of reasons to why you suffer lag, its really just a case of looking at WHAT you can do to improve your online gaming of FM.

and if I could give one piece of advice NEVER use Hamachi - what a pile of old toss that is.

Well as usual a new fm comes out and is a total hassle to play a network game. Tried everything on the port forward site, tried everything on this, have uninstalled kaspersky, turned off windows firewall. Had the same garbage last year and eventually it worked at a snails pace. This year though is just a farce. Im running 64bit athlon proc, 4gb ddr3 ram, dual geforce 9600gt cards and have a 15mb connection.

My friends pc is higher spec! so its nothing to do with that. We also are both using netgear wireless modems from sky and have both tried all the setting that supposedly work. Ive been playing this since it was champ manager in 1992 with the red box and suffice to say you get bored of playing it one player. But the past few versions of this have been a disgreace to play online. Is there no way to have a proper way to set it up for online that actually works.

Well as usual a new fm comes out and is a total hassle to play a network game. Tried everything on the port forward site, tried everything on this, have uninstalled kaspersky, turned off windows firewall. Had the same garbage last year and eventually it worked at a snails pace. This year though is just a farce. Im running 64bit athlon proc, 4gb ddr3 ram, dual geforce 9600gt cards and have a 15mb connection.

My friends pc is higher spec! so its nothing to do with that. We also are both using netgear wireless modems from sky and have both tried all the setting that supposedly work. Ive been playing this since it was champ manager in 1992 with the red box and suffice to say you get bored of playing it one player. But the past few versions of this have been a disgreace to play online. Is there no way to have a proper way to set it up for online that actually works.

never switch off your firewall. once you suss out the port forwarding, you'll be laughing your head off after you realise how simple it is to do.

as for your firewall, tell it to allow FM.exe acess.

never switch off your firewall. once you suss out the port forwarding, you'll be laughing your head off after you realise how simple it is to do.

as for your firewall, tell it to allow FM.exe acess.

everything is forwarded through windows firewall with the settings it says on this and on the portforward site for my netgear modem. Even tried doing it with a static ip and it still wont connect. Always says cant connect to server. When u check the portcheck on canyouseeme.org it says connection timed out when you enter the pots that have been opened on the router.

I already had the port forwarding sorted from 2009, done exactly the same as i did last year and it wont work at all.

Im not sure the mods have an answer. My hosting works. Maybe one of you can host and your mates cant. Trouble with me is my mate has a better pc and net so we wanted him to host. Its heartbreaking. He can log on to me, but its just not as quick. He turned off windows firewall and cant even turn it back on now Still done a pre season in about 2 hrs tho so probs should be grateful. But the fact he cant host it has ****ed me off. Then last night i noticed his internal ip had become the same one as hamachi. But it was like 3am so were gonna try and renew his ip and see if that helps. I been searching the net for help all day. So i figured warcraft geeks would know what the hell is going on. http://logmeinwiki.com/wiki/Hamachi:Warcraft_3_-_Reign_of_Chaos,_The_Frozen_Throne

Mine works like i said so i cant try any of this out and my mate dont finish work till 10, so if any of this helps you let me know on here so i can tell my buddy. Were all in the same boat. I think if you boys have wireless routers and your not connected through an ethernet cable it must be your network adapters like belkin or whatever you have. My mate has a wireless router and i dont, but really cant think of anything else and the mods just tell you to go to portforward or say your posting in the wrong bit, Well i can read the big red writing!!! Can somebody help us!!!Can somebody call sega support!!!

My friend and I have been trying to play an online game. I can connect to his games but when he tries to connect to mine it wont work. I have ticked the box run as server. So has he. First I gave him my i.p address and he entered it. That didnt work. Then we created a network via hamachi and that didnt work. we both are playing FM 10.0.1 and it will not work. I was able to host games before but for some reason this will not work now?