Time to lose the sliders

You might want to search back a bit further and see the one hundred million threads also saying that it's time for sliders to go.

This suggestion has been raised from the dead more times than Cliff Richards career.

But the idea of using more 'verbal' instructions hasn't. Try reading both posts, if you can't see the GLARING similarities (right down to the 'x manager wouldn't say be 9 notches closing down' type example) then, well... you are blind.

I guess then we should get rid of them instructions as you would never say to anyone can you rarely have long shots today please. I just think we should make the game more around a player stats then sliders telling him what to do with every little thing

I heard an interview with Kevin Nolan. Sam Allardyce was manager, Nolan had scored from 20 odd yards.

In the interview he said he was glad he scored as the boss instructs his players not to shoot from outside the box.

Obviously Allardyce is quite scientific so I guess he worked out goal to shots ratio outside the box.

Just proves it does happen though.

Yes but as we are trying to say is he wouldn't have said that using a slider bar i am sure he would have said lads can we not shoot from outside the box please

We know that but how he is not doing it on a computer screen. How do you suggest you can convey that message to a computer?

It has to be through the use of some sort of icon.

Jod123 same way talking to the press work's give us a option we can select would be better then slider.

I think tho this has now been disscussed to death lol

I guess there are things we will all disagree with

But what could it say. For example the long shots slider only has 3 settings and it explains them as rarely, mixed and often. You could use other icons like radio buttons that the press talks use or checkboxes but it really would the same thing with just 3 different settings.

By the way, I am not saying that it does not need to improved or the sliders are fantastic or anything but I don't consider them that bad.

Anyway you're right some things we will always disagree on. :D

Managers might not say I want you to play on mentality 18. But in real life the mangers would say "I want you to play 5 yards further forward". So yes it can be that detailed.

That's an interesting point. I remember the old Alex Ferguson Player Manager game on Playstation.

That game had a lot of flaws but one thing you could do was to change the position of your players by moving them on something very similar to the 'positions' screen in FM. Each movement laterally or up and down was explained in the manual as being equivalent to a 5 yard difference.

It made it very very much easier to tweak formations - if your fullback was being skinned you could move him back a little or a touch wider for example. Or you could move your central midfielders tighter without pulling your wingers in, etc, etc. Much easier to visualise things on a pitch than by means of a slider and considerably more flexible.

Another good feature which that game had was that you could not only programme directional runs but also individual players' passing direction. So if you had a fast forward you could programme a long ball into empty space behind the opposition defence, for example, for him to run on to - and those passes could be made by as many or as few of your players as you liked

You might want to search back a bit further and see the one hundred million threads also saying that it's time for sliders to go.

This suggestion has been raised from the dead more times than Cliff Richards career.

Then maybe those hundred millions threads are right...

Sliders take realism off the game. FM is first of all a realist game where you're a football manager. Not a micromanagement game. If SI objective was to make this a micromanagement game you could control how many seats the stadium has, hire the sponsors and increase the price of the hotdogs in the match day.

Then maybe those hundred millions threads are right...

Sliders take realism off the game. FM is first of all a realist game where you're a football manager. Not a micromanagement game. If SI objective was to make this a micromanagement game you could control how many seats the stadium has, hire the sponsors and increase the price of the hotdogs in the match day.

Not really as none of those things are the managers job in reality while they are supposed to be in sole charge of tactics.

Yes but as we are trying to say is he wouldn't have said that using a slider bar i am sure he would have said lads can we not shoot from outside the box please

Well you can more or less say that using the sliders, Like jod said what would you use instead of them?

I personally think the sliders are ok, it's just the amount of micro managing you have to do that makes them ambiguous and confusing.

Archived