Suggestion: Maps

I mentioned something like this on FM base a while back. I want to see a map/atlas!

Basically the Map would cover all these points.

1. Allow you to view the world

2. Let you see information about cities around the world

3. Let you see where clubs are located

4. Shows where competitions are being held

5. Shows where shortlist players live.

6. Shows where scouted players live.

7. Shows where your scout currently is

8. Allows you to set up and follow your clubs youth academy in a different part of the world.

9. Let's you see where competitions and clubs players come from.

I think this would add a lot to the realism of the game (and I love geography, I'd spend more time on map than anything else). However, having a option for having the map or not would be crucial, because I could see the map requiring much better PC performance to handle all the data.

I am 100% sure it is added with one of the skins. I can't really recall which one.

I also saw it in one of the skins I used before. Maybe the idea pops up my mind after seeing it on the skin, but it was a passive one. Whne you go to scouting screen there was a picture of a world map and that's it. I want to have an active one as Montanaro mentioned.

I mentioned something like this on FM base a while back. I want to see a map/atlas!

8. Allows you to set up and follow your clubs youth academy in a different part of the world.

I think this would add a lot to the realism of the game (and I love geography, I'd spend more time on map than anything else). However, having a option for having the map or not would be crucial, because I could see the map requiring much better PC performance to handle all the data.

Wow you put everthing I imagine and couldn't imagine into words. I really would like to see the stuff you wrote. Great!!!

Great idea. Montanaro, perhaps no.8 in your list could be only done in places where you have a feeder club?

Edit: Or perhaps you could make a feeder club called like Tottenham CT Acadamy for Cape Town, I don't know how Ajax do it, but like that (they have Ajax CT, a feeder club in Cape Town that i'm guessing they created).

Wow you put everthing I imagine and couldn't imagine into words. I really would like to see the stuff you wrote. Great!!!

I truely love the ideas in this thread. This would surely make the game a richer experience.

Hope SI reads this :-)

I think this would be brilliant :D

I think it would be nice to have World Atlas in scouting part, and when you select region or a country to scout, the game could highlight the region or the country on Atlas. I know it is a detail, but I think it would help you to see which countries you are scouting when you choose a region.

Genius ideas :D :D :D

the only issue i have with that idea is it could leave a map overloaded with information (unless theres some kind of filters associated with it)

for now though id accept a map which has a colour coded countried depending on scouting %

FM basically runs on nothing but filters, so I would imagine SI putting filters on the map.

Sometimes I forget exactly where a country is, and a map would help, especially when determining if I think it is to far for a friendly. I wouldn't mind seeing which cities around the world produce talent valued over $1 million, then sending my scout there to build ties (which could bring players from there to my youth academy)

I really like this. Also, the map could be shaded in accordance with your club's knowledge of that area. For example, if you know everything about Spain, then Spain appears in red, if you know a fair bit about Portugal, that could be in orange, etc.

+1, brilliant idea, I think its simple enough to be programmed in, yet it will be so much easier with scouting, and I think it'll be good to have a filter available on the map like with your squad etc to show if you only want countries shown, scout locations, scouted/in progress scouting countries etc. I often find myself looking up the countries on googlemaps just so I have a general idea where in the world it is (whether or not thats because I have poor Geography skills?)

In terms of it, most of the geographical data is in the game already. When you play those long Europe legs, sometimes it does bring up the 'round trip distance' in a media preview of the match.

It would just be about compiling this data into a widget, I guess.

Early on I was fascinated in seeing where I travelled in my career, in the days where you started with little rep, and I had little hope of rising up ending up going between obscure clubs all over the place. Now I can look up the locations of places in a second but it would still be interesting seeing a map of places I've been. Currently I've been from Ipswich to Stavanger to Zwolle to Kharkiv to Brugge with a few more almost anywhere in europe no doubt ahead which would make for an excellent image.

I have to add my +1 to this. As a Yank and a bit of an anglophile, the culture, the history, the personality of the places where the game is played adds significantly to my enjoyment of FM. I actually purchase from AmazonUK every year the Supporter's Guide/Yearbooks for League and Blue Square and have them handy when I'm playing. It's one thing to have your Newport County lads play Dorchester Town FC (there are a lot of "Huh, who?" moments for a Yank playing FM) but it adds immensely when you have a sense of place. Sure, no maps in the guides, but they've a pic of the stand, an address you can punch into Google Earth for the overhead view, some details on capacity and prices, a tiny bit of history, enough to give a real sense of place.

If there was a way to incorporate this - or for those who play online, have a widget that ties into Google Earth and opens a window to give you a view to where you're traveling... Anyway, I think there are any number of iterations of this idea that would really add to the experience.

I agree. Some geographic and cultural information would not go amiss, particularly for the nations that you are not familiar with. It could look sexy too.

Indeed. But this is being asked for quite sometime. At least since FM08. Can't say if it is asked before. This is one those graphical updates I have been asking.

I doubt that would be possible as I don't think we store stadium altitude in the database. It may be there for city information though.

The first part of this would be creating a map widget. It's a big job though. Not only would it require a lot of coding work but there is a lot of artwork required for the actual maps. Think of how many countries are in the game for a start. Think as well about how you would show Dundee and Dundee Utd on the same map of Scotland with their stadiums being right next to each other.

If there was ever a map widget created then we could use it to display almost anything with a location.

Ter to be honest everything needs a lot of work that requires to be done. As you eprsonally know well every feature in FM is a big job, because as you stated any thiny things is fix something else is will change dramatically due to conflicts in the programming (but you know that!).

Also you don't need much artwork to be done quite honestly. You need only map of the world or at least set of different region of globe (Europe, North America, South America and so on). Place somewhere in the widow a place with picture of the city or stadium where the match is being played and another zone with some quick intel, Like city, Country, Number of inhabitants or something of the likes.

You have the following image as an example of world map, that is pretty basic just had pict box and info box and your done.

organize_img2_20090106.jpg

The image of course is one feature of iphoto from Apple.

Now what you need is to add in the editor somewhere were we can place the club (specially with league editor, specially when setting up north, south divisions in tha same tier, instead of going to stadium of each club and to see where the club is located.

Here are other examples from (i think) from Fifa Manager 08 and user StanPetrov have suggested almost two years ago.

fifa2xx5.jpg

And

fifa6lk3.jpg

I think this should be implemented on the next FM game (specially for European competitions).

On a related note, it'd be great if the database kept track of the city/town where people are based. This has an impact in real life, usually in the lower leagues where people try and find a club closeish to where they live, rather than the current in-game situation where people will happily move all over the country. (Although this does happen higher up too: see Jim Gannon's wife deciding this week to whether to move to Peterborough from Stockport.)

Also, rather than simply remaining based in the country where they last played, it'd be nice to see players move around and try and find a new club elsewhere (their agent offering them around for a trial, for example). Most clubs have had random foreigners turn up for friendlies, only to never to be seen again!

• SI Staff
Also you don't need much artwork to be done quite honestly. You need only map of the world or at least set of different region of globe (Europe, North America, South America and so on). Place somewhere in the widow a place with picture of the city or stadium where the match is being played and another zone with some quick intel, Like city, Country, Number of inhabitants or something of the likes.

If it was restricted to regions then you are right, not a lot of artwork would be required. I'm kind of opposed to using static images though as it would be better if maps were scalable.

This is a brilliant idea. I'd love to know where my opposition are, and where I'm scouting etc. Also I like the previously mentioned idea of placing youth academies. You could get messages saying 'Randominho has come from your academy in Sao Paulo.'

Absolutely great idea, remember it from my days of Fifa Manager.

In a world where education is of more importance than ever, why not include some cultural background and visual effects?

;)

Ah, great idea! So when you play Liverpool, you'd hear the clanging sound of someone stealing hubcaps?

When you play Scumderland you could see a picture of the moaning hordes gazing at a "Dentist" sign in abject wonder and horror?

Or if you play my lads, you get a pic of Biffa Bacon and the sound of a bloke speaking unintelligibly, though it sounds like speaking German with a fork stuck through your tongue

The possiblities are endless :D

• 6 months later...

Archived