Full Backs having plenty of possession but aren't using it usefully.

Hi all.I'm quite liking FM 09, much more difficult than previous versions, although results are somewhat random at times.

But one thing i'm noticing is that my full backs are having lots of possession during matches but dont seem to be passing it forwards.They easily have the most passes in the game, not all completed, but they are going back to the central defenders.From the image below I think you'll be able to see that the full backs have 40+ passes while the forwards are hardly touching the ball.

http://s106.photobucket.com/albums/m247/josha007/?action=view&current=Stats.jpg

Does anyone have any tips on how I can get them to distribute the ball better?Do i increase their mentality or decrease the central midfielders so they come and receive the ball? Sorry i forgot to say I play a 4321 system (like Chelsea under Mourinho), with a DMC and two similar attacking central midfielders infront of him.My wing forwards are quite attacking all game. My passing is short at the back, and gradually getting more direct as I go up the pitch.

Thanks all in advance.Josh

Chane their passing to mixed or direct and they will pass forward more if they have options available. If they don't have options but to pass back then you need to bring them closer to the midfield either by mentality changes for the mids or fullbacl, or you could push the d-line up.

Thanks Cleon.

I only have them on FWR's Mixed, so maybe if I change them to Always that might help.

Could do, but could also create other problems then like being caught out of position. Worth a shot though :)

Mmm well my next game was home to West Brom, I was a firm favourite.I increased the passing of my full backs to a more direct style.Slightly pushed the d-line up too.This was the result:

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m247/josha007/stats2.jpg

As you can see Bale has had all of the ball!!Lol.Hutton didn't get as much possession as the last match.Could it be down to Bale's more attacking nature that he has passed so many balls? The rest of the team actually passed about the same amount of balls each.Whats your thoughts Cleon?It was 13-7 in shots with 7 of mine being On Target btw.

Josh

Bale is probably doing most of the attacking for your side. Maybe he is finding a lot more space than Hutton and using it a lot better. Or maybe he is overlapping, meaning he's doing a lot of one twos.

Archived