Razor Tactic: a very consistent diamond tactic.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Great tactic. I was struggling for consistency with my Doncaster Rovers team in my 2nd season. Hanging around in 7th 8th and 9th with the Jan transfer window just ended I wasnted to make sure I had a tactic that limited the goals we shipped now and again and made the best use of a pretty handy DM i bought from Newell's ld Boys. (Hernan Bernadello).

Won my next 2 games against Swansea and Sheff Wednesday both by two goals to nil and was held away to Plymouth (ironically) in my 3rd game using the tactic. Perhaps they still had Higgins tactics? ( : I did however use MC/DM Brian Stock as the attacking midfielder but dropped him into the centre of the park with an attacking arrow to where he should be as I thought this would help, as we were playing away from home. 1-0 down on the hour though and it didnt suit the team so I brought my young Belgian AMC on in the normal position and we went 1-1 level and missed a penalty in the 90th minute.

So, good tactic. So far so good.

Anyone who likes to play in the championship with perhaps their favourite club feel free to ask how my 1st and 2nd season went with Doncaster Rovers, who Iv signed, who has whinged about moving to a bigger club and who has been brilliant despite seeming an average player at the start of the game.

Came 2nd in the championship with my Doncaster team, thus secured promotion to the Premier league. Iv had to bring new players in obviously that were up the the job and im hoping that this gelling period is the only reason iv been thrashed in 4 of my 5 opening Premisership games.

5 of my starting line up has been replaced by 'better' players. I have no doubt however that the results would have been worse if id have kept the 5 that I have replaced. After the opening day 1-1 draw with Portsmouth at home results have been:-

0-2 Man Utd (home)

2-3 CARLISLE (Cup)

0-3 Middlesborough (away)

1-4 Newcastle (away)

Says I dominated game against Newcastle but lost due to lack of cutting edge.

Any idea as to what could be the problem?

Playing Hull at home now who are 20th so hopefully can turn things around!

Team are all good in the areas that you stressed they need to be good in. I.e, DM and AM both having 14+ in teamwork, currently using Andy Carroll and Bonnazolli in the right striker positions, as both are the more physical type, and have an amazing Ghanaian (sp), (Phillip Boateng) striker in the left striker birth.

Centre backs are Matt Mills and Marek Suchy,

full backs- Kovacevic and Cesar Ibanez

DM- Hernan Bernadello AM- Roman Zozulyu or Rok Kronaveter

Keeper is proving he's not up tp prem standard. Its Stuart Taylor. Luckily I have a good young Irish keeper coming through.

Came 2nd in the championship with my Doncaster team, thus secured promotion to the Premier league. Iv had to bring new players in obviously that were up the the job and im hoping that this gelling period is the only reason iv been thrashed in 4 of my 5 opening Premisership games.

5 of my starting line up has been replaced by 'better' players. I have no doubt however that the results would have been worse if id have kept the 5 that I have replaced. After the opening day 1-1 draw with Portsmouth at home results have been:-

0-2 Man Utd (home)

2-3 CARLISLE (Cup)

0-3 Middlesborough (away)

1-4 Newcastle (away)

Says I dominated game against Newcastle but lost due to lack of cutting edge.

Any idea as to what could be the problem?

Playing Hull at home now who are 20th so hopefully can turn things around!

Team are all good in the areas that you stressed they need to be good in. I.e, DM and AM both having 14+ in teamwork, currently using Andy Carroll and Bonnazolli in the right striker positions, as both are the more physical type, and have an amazing Ghanaian (sp), (Phillip Boateng) striker in the left striker birth.

Centre backs are Matt Mills and Marek Suchy,

full backs- Kovacevic and Cesar Ibanez

DM- Hernan Bernadello AM- Roman Zozulyu or Rok Kronaveter

Keeper is proving he's not up tp prem standard. Its Stuart Taylor. Luckily I have a good young Irish keeper coming through.

You did a great job being promoted with your Doncaster side, of course the premiership is a harder affair, but hopefully my tactic will help you.

I don't know all your players, but I have some doubt about Matt Mills, did you try to play Kovacevic in that spot?

You need a pacey guy for that position, Kova could be the right man.

Kronaveter is not premiership material, imo.

What about your wingers?

using razor tactics with wycombe ,i started in league two and for seasons later im in the premiership. Im amazed that ive done this with the finances at wycombe . if someone tells me how to post screen shots ill show yo my success.

using razor tactics with wycombe ,i started in league two and for seasons later im in the premiership. Im amazed that ive done this with the finances at wycombe . if someone tells me how to post screen shots ill show yo my success.

You need to upload your image somewhere like webshots or photobucket.

Then for every uploaded image just copy and paste here the code they give you.

By the way, I'm happy for your achievement! ;)

any advice on how to get good results away from home? just got crystal palace up to the prem, and although 1.0 is gving me results at home i havent won any away game all season. i'm not even created chances, for instant in my last 2 games, i havent even had a shot on goal...an advice?

You need to upload your image somewhere like webshots or photobucket.

Then for every uploaded image just copy and paste here the code they give you.

By the way, I'm happy for your achievement! ;)

got photo bucket but how do you save screen shots to upload?

Hi, I'm in my first season with palace and have made some, in my own eyes, good signings (tell me if i'm wrong) and im not having any luck with this tactic at all.

Heres my team:

Formation-1.jpg

Heres my team instructions:

CPFCTeamTactics.jpg

and here is the very unattractive league table:

CPFCleaguetable.jpg

any help would be greatly appreciated as i feel i must be doing something wrong. just ask if you want any more print screens.

Hi' date=' I'm in my first season with palace and have made some, in my own eyes, good signings (tell me if i'm wrong) and im not having any luck with this tactic at all.

[center']Heres my team:

Formation-1.jpg

Heres my team instructions:

CPFCTeamTactics.jpg

and here is the very unattractive league table:

CPFCleaguetable.jpg[/center]

any help would be greatly appreciated as i feel i must be doing something wrong. just ask if you want any more print screens.

I answered in the other thread you opened.

Thought i might give this an update as i've been using this for 4 seasons now with Real Betis. I am currently 3rd in the league (Madrid are unstoppable and Barca are decent) and my previous season finishes have been 6th, 7th, 4th. Qualified 2nd in my CL group on 10 points behind Man Utd on 13, and went on to beat Inter 3-2 at home which turned out to be a dramatic match with a late winner and 2 reds for Inter. Got knocked out in the semi final of the Copa Del Rey by Real Madrid.

Recent problems that i have had are conceeding alot in the first 10 minutes of the game and my wingers dribbling in from the byline instead of crossing the ball. Both of my strikers have hit a goal drought which hasn't be good either.

Ochoa

Monnier (regen)

Santacroce

Onuoha

Rasmussen (regen)

Gonzalez

Awaji (regen)

Emana/Herrera (regen)

Pepe

Terren (regen)

Aquafresca/Saivet

I tend to stick with 1.0, the home formation as the suggested away formation resulted in very few chances and possession. I will post a screenshot up sometime.

Oh god, almost forgot, i just went on a 18 game unbeaten run in all competitions, but my laptop turned off (slowing crawling to its death) so i'm not sure where i have it last saved, but was only a few games back. Will definately have to post up a screenshot now.

• 4 weeks later...

hi higgins. Let my Congratulate u for your fantastic work on both Razor 1.1 anda 1.0. It is, at least for me,the best tac i ever saw in a lot of years that a play FM. I started a save in Italy, in Serie C to be precise, whit Padova because i like real challenges in FM. I got up to Serie B on my 1st Season and it was realy hard to maintain in Serie B. Got up to Serie A at the end of the 4th season but got relagated to Serie B in the year After :(. After that i started to use Razor and it did wonders for the time. The problem was i had a very small squad because of a take over and i couldn buys players, only could sell them but at the o end the season i got the 1st place and was promoted to Serie A again. Now in half season i´m in 5th place and my time is playing very well. I think i still don´t have a time sutable for your tac and still trying to make one. i was thinking if u could give me some advice, whem u have the time, of course :D.

Cheers for the greatest FM Manager of all time!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I just used your tactic to win the African Nations Cup with Ghana and I'm currently 5th with Norwich in the Premiership so..... yeah, thanks :)

Thank you mate, the old razor still rocks, I will probably sort out a tweaked version for FM 10! ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived