I've found something which I had never tried before

Using split mentality cm's and cf's as occurs with TT&F, I think I have uncovered something.

Firstly before I am flamed, this may be a well known thing, but it is new to me, and I reckon it will be news to others.

What I did was, having loaded the TT&F 442s: swap the player instructions instructions for the lower mentality player of the pair (ie mcd) with the higher one (mca), EXCEPT mentality and CF. I then give the cm with everything on rarely, mixed longshots and throughballs. What this leaves you with is:

A high mentality cm who does not get forward, does not run with the ball but instead holds up the ball before he makes through balls and takes potshots at goal if in space. He is paired with a low mentality box to box player with everything on mixed and decent level of CF so he covers wherever he is needed, could be on free role too, but i prefer to use my wingers for that. The former has low closing down, so sits to protect backline, the latter has higher closing down as he is generally the fitter, and looks to harrass the opposition.

The forwards are similar. The high mentality player does not make forward runs, runs with ball occassionally, but concentrates mostly on holding up the ball, and feeding through balls to the onrushing wingers, box to box mid or his strike partner. The lower mentality player is similar, but makes lots of forward runs, and looks to dribble before he passes, although still tries through balls.

Has been working wonders for me so far. MF is carrick and diarra, CFs are rooney and tevez (who swap positions, and have free roles) or if I use berba, the is the high mentality passer, (with no position swapping, or free role)

I sincerely hope this helps.

So:

MCd:

mentality: high

forward runs: rarely

run with ball: rarely

long shots: mixed

ttb: mixed

cross ball: rarely

MCa:

mentality: low

forward runs: mixed or often?

run with ball: mixed

Cross ball: mixed

Free role: y/n?

Is that about right for the midfield? In a 442?

Oddly enough, I've been experimenting with exactly the same kind of thing, and I posted it in the TT&F thread. My "support" players have high mentality but low FWR, while my "attack" players have lower mentality but often FWR. Seems to be working very well.

Oddly enough, I've been experimenting with exactly the same kind of thing, and I posted it in the TT&F thread. My "support" players have high mentality but low FWR, while my "attack" players have lower mentality but often FWR. Seems to be working very well.

Will give this a try on my Merthyr game, my MCa was getting horrible ratings after 9.20, despite being a leading league 1 player in a decent league 2 team

So:

MCd:

CF: below middle

mentality: high

forward runs: rarely

run with ball: rarely

ttb: mixed (often if he's really good)

cross ball: rarely

Hold up Ball: On

MCa:

CF: above middle

mentality: low

forward runs: mixed or often? (often if a good finisher)

run with ball: mixed

Cross ball: mixed

Free role: y/n? (depends how attacking, but possibly yes)

Is that about right for the midfield? In a 442?

I have updated the quote above. I am by no means an expert, but that is what i recommend. To a certain extent is depends on your players and their strengths/weaknesses, no use having someone play TB if his passing and creativity are low. And no use putting a CM on high FR if he's gonna get into the box and mess up a good opportunity with poor finishing/composure

I have updated the quote above. I am by no means an expert, but that is what i recommend. To a certain extent is depends on your players and their strengths/weaknesses, no use having someone play TB if his passing and creativity are low. And no use putting a CM on high FR if he's gonna get into the box and mess up a good opportunity with poor finishing/composure

Thanks, will give a spin as soon i as get home from work :)

It's a good idea and I experimented with this in FM09 9.0.1, I used FCd with the attacking mentality, but Forward Runs rarely, etc, and made the FCa with lower mentality but with the usual high creative freedom, etc.. it's a good idea and it can work.

I'll just clarify my "version" of this - I'm not playing with an MC(a) as such. Instead I've got a MC(d) and a "playmaker" type MC. The former I set up as usual, while the latter I give high mentality, mixed CF TTB often, everything else on rarely and HUB. What I've done instead is lower my wingers' and AMC or FC(a)'s mentality (I'm using 2 tactics - a 4-4-2 and a 4-2-3-1).

So the playmaker and FC(d) are willing to make very attacking passes, while the attacking players drop a bit deeper than usual and provide more options.

i decided to concentrate mentality as the player's willingness to provide attacking play, rather than neccessarily their position on the field. I used the rarely FR to make the playmaker stay back, while the beasty box to box man just bombs up and down, up and down, closing players down making a pass to the wingers or the playmaker (playmaker box is not ticked... yet, it may be later) before bombing up again to provide more support.

all the while, my fcd is dropping, holding the ball up once more, then playing trhough balls or running at defenders. If he does pass, his high mentality, and the fact that he's a striker, should get him into the box to follow it up if need be.

Hey guys, I tried the following settings but I got absolutely awful results in 7 games for my midfielder's and stricker's :-( although I didn't lose any of those games...I played horrible and only won 5 of those games by pure luck and tied the other ones when I should of lost very heavily, but my back line and keeper were pretty good;-) Is there something wrong?

I am playing a normal 4-4-2 with Juventus

my CM(d) is Veloso and my CM(a) is Marchisio

CM(d)settings:

Mentality = attacking(14) Forward runs = rarely Cross ball = rarely

Creative freedom = little(5) Run with ball = rarely Hold up Ball = Ticked

Passing style = short(5) Long shots = mixed

Closing down = whole field(18) Through balls = mixed

CM(a)setting:

Mentality = defensive(5) Forward runs = mixed Cross ball = rarely

Creative freedom = normal(10) Runs with ball = mixed Hold up Ball = Ticked

Closing down = own half(10) Through balls = often

Cross ball = rarely

ST(d)

Mentality = attacking(18) Forward runs = rarely Cross ball = rarely

Creative freedom = little(5) Run with ball = mixed Hold up ball = ticked

Closing down = whole field(13) Through balls = rarely

ST(a)

Mentality = attacking(13) Forward runs = often Cross ball = often

Creative freedom = normal(8) Runs with ball = often Hold up ball = not ticked

Closing down = whole field(13) Through balls = often

Also both forwards swap positions with each other.

So I hope that you guys have any suggestions, they'll be greatly appreciated it. Thank you :-)

Two things immediately leap out at me:

a) The mentality gap between the two MCs is too high. I'd say a max of 6 clicks between them. 8 and 14 are what I'd use.

b) You've got the TTB setting the wrong way round on the strikers. The ST(d) (does anyone else find that abbreviation rather amusing?) should have TTB often, as he holds the ball up and plays others in, while the ST(a) should have TTB mixed or even rarely so he will focus more on running at the goal. I'd also drop the latter's crossing to mixed.

I'd also be reluctant to have the strikers swap positions. With them having such different instructions, it calls for completely different types of player so it's very rare you'll find two people capable of performing both roles.

Yeah you have the mids settings slightly confused there I think

I would only swap positions if, like me, you have two similar strikers who can both play both roles, ie rooney and tevez

Please keep me updated on this. I had a few bad games last night after work with carrick and diarra, but carrick isn't the most consistant performer so that could be the reason, also fixtures are rather congested at the moment :-(

Ita

If it helps this is the mentality system I used to win EPL (107ps) with Chelsea pre patch. Download tactic for other settings, passing, closing down and cf as all are key to making the system work, but can be tweaked to suit your side.

chelsea4ca8.png

w1440.png

I don't really mind, but was there a need to post that huge pic in the thread? bit excessive isn't it?

STd is quite amusing, my STd seems to do a lot better than my STa (sexually transmitted affliction/ailment?) at the moment tho

This always interested me about cbs too, i want a vidic/rio partnership, one is the stopper playing no throughballs, and the sweeper-upper happy to move with the ball a bit and play through balls to other players

Two things immediately leap out at me:

a) The mentality gap between the two MCs is too high. I'd say a max of 6 clicks between them. 8 and 14 are what I'd use.

b) You've got the TTB setting the wrong way round on the strikers. The ST(d) (does anyone else find that abbreviation rather amusing?) should have TTB often, as he holds the ball up and plays others in, while the ST(a) should have TTB mixed or even rarely so he will focus more on running at the goal. I'd also drop the latter's crossing to mixed.

I'd also be reluctant to have the strikers swap positions. With them having such different instructions, it calls for completely different types of player so it's very rare you'll find two people capable of performing both roles.

will make the changes right away :-) thanks...and yeah!!! I didn't really thought about the ST(d) thing until you point that out...LOL :-) JEJE...sorry, it was late and I was very sleepy when I was writing it...JEJEJE :-)

Yeah you have the mids settings slightly confused there I think

I would only swap positions if, like me, you have two similar strikers who can both play both roles, ie rooney and tevez

Please keep me updated on this. I had a few bad games last night after work with carrick and diarra, but carrick isn't the most consistant performer so that could be the reason, also fixtures are rather congested at the moment :-(

for my strikers I have Amauri, Balotelli, Iaquinta, Lanzafame, Palladino, and Aguero...so most of them are pretty similar, except Aguero...don't you think? well in fact Aguero, isn't playing that great for me at all...I payed 51million Euros for him...last season, but he only scored 14goals in 47games :-( so I'm actually thinking about selling him or sending him on loan to see if something better happens...the rest of my strikers are good but very inconsistent, so my wingers have actually been saving the games for us so far...which is OK...but what will happen when they can't score anymore? :-(

A big thank you to all the contributors in this thread. I have implemented some changes in my Chelsea lineup based on the tips here.

However, I am encountering some defensive problems. What do people here think about marking settings for DC and FB? I am also re-considering my defensive line as well as the closing down settings on my central defenders.

Any ideas?

A big thank you to all the contributors in this thread. I have implemented some changes in my Chelsea lineup based on the tips here.

However, I am encountering some defensive problems. What do people here think about marking settings for DC and FB? I am also re-considering my defensive line as well as the closing down settings on my central defenders.

Any ideas?

Im using man Man marking on my whole backline + tight marking, I feel thats the "easy way" by making my player concentrating on one(?) player. I havent noticed them drifting away to far so a midfielder sneaking between them but im playing as Reggiana in Serie C so I dont meet so clever players so they cant take advantage of this(?) anyway 11 games in the serie only letting in 10 goals.

I personally play zonal over the whole park. Counter tactic has the back four and the CMd tight marking but other than that I don't use it unless playing against a team with an AM, in which case I will man mark with CMd, or even drop him to DM.

I have been formulating a tactic recently which I may put up for download in the near future if it works well for me:

------FC------

WG-- AM --WG

----CM-CM----

--------------

LB--CB-CB--RB

with the wingers dropping to LM and RM away to good teams (I'm Utd)

Nice find ham_aka_stam!

Tbh, this never occur to me before!

I have problems with FWRs as I find it usually drag my players out of position, especially in midfield.

One of the ingame hints is to be careful of FWRs as it affects positioning too.

Gonna try this out. Hopefully it will make my team more of a unit.

I personally play zonal over the whole park. Counter tactic has the back four and the CMd tight marking but other than that I don't use it unless playing against a team with an AM, in which case I will man mark with CMd, or even drop him to DM.

I have been formulating a tactic recently which I may put up for download in the near future if it works well for me:

------FC------

WG-- AM --WG

----CM-CM----

--------------

LB--CB-CB--RB

with the wingers dropping to LM and RM away to good teams (I'm Utd)

Ive just finished reading this thread and realised that my players have been set out in that way by accident lol and im using the exact tactic...goes through times when 1 player scores hat tricks ...i think its got to do with the teams weakness ...My striker will have a hat trick and then the next game be marked out of the game and my amc or wingers will destroy them :)

Ive just finished reading this thread and realised that my players have been set out in that way by accident lol and im using the exact tactic...goes through times when 1 player scores hat tricks ...i think its got to do with the teams weakness ...My striker will have a hat trick and then the next game be marked out of the game and my amc or wingers will destroy them :)

A reason for that could be if your striker, or any other players, are inconsistant.

It is a hidden attribute, along with "Important Matches" which can vastly effect your performances.

I keep changing my mind with regards how to set my team up, what is mentioned in the first post is good if you have the players, but your "box-to-box" player needs to be able to finish or he'll run into the box and fluff your chance.

Archived