The 2008/09 Juliano Belletti thread

macca69

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Good to see a "non-comedic" club thread title.

Dont know if anyone listens to the Guardian Podcast ? Had a little jokey on there about youse, something along the lines of "Surprising Chelsea got a Brazilian as already have one bald **** in Kenyon"

Fairly happy with our fixtures, nice to open things up with a home match, although this time we play all 3 top 4 teams at home first rather than away like last year, not sure what difference that will make. We dont really have a succession of really tough games which could hopefully work in our favour.

Fixtures

Linking is allowed iirc? Spurs really early on. Apart from the Arsenal game we have a nice little run in. West Ham, Fulham, Sunderland, and Blackburn who will be relegated without Santa Cruz and Bentley by then.

Will probably become a member this season and go to more games than previously I reckon. Who knows.

• Administrators

Linking is allowed.

I am rather ****ing desperate for Liverpool on the 25th Oct to stay as a Saturday kickoff and not moved to Sunday (lunchtime might be vaguely acceptable) because the NFL at Wembley is the 26th, icon_frown.gif

Phil, how likely is it that if I become a member this summer I could get to the Utd game? I am in London that weekend but wont have been to any previous games that season, likely at all?

• Administrators
Phil, how likely is it that if I become a member this summer I could get to the Utd game? I am in London that weekend but wont have been to any previous games that season, likely at all?

At that stage of the season it'll be first come first served for members, won't have been enough games to realistically say they want to use loyalty points. Just get yourself online at 6.30am and logged into the system and then wait/sleep until 6.57 or something, as long as you're in then you'll be fine, the big games just overload the ticket server and you get stuck in a queue with a 30 second countdown until it tries again. Online and signed in early enough and you'll be alright.

• Administrators
You could be lucky Phil. 3 games in the capital, so the police might ask for the Chelsea game to stay on the Saturday, Tottenham's game likely to be moved (if it follows a UEFA Cup game), and West Ham v Arsenal is the other.

Not a European week icon_frown.gif

I'd also imagine Spurs and West Ham can't both be at home on the same day so one will be one and one the other anyway, leaving us in the middle somewhere.

Chelsea/Liverpool at the Bridge is usually a 4pm Sunday, 3 of the last 4 have been, the other was a lunchtime. Three before that were midweek x2 and the last day. Even worse, Everton vs Man Utd is the same weekend and that typically gets Saturday lunchtime treatment.

So, short of it being Sunday 1pm, I'm a bit ****ed. Argh.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> X

X X X X

X X

X X X

X </pre>

That is how Felipão tends to line up with Portugal iirc. I think that would actually suit us really well. Although if Deco comes in it means we say goodbye to Ballack/Lampard. Looking at the situation, and Scolari's preferred formation it would probably be Lampard icon_frown.gif Lampard > Deco.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> Cech

Boswinga Terry Carvalho Cole

Essien Ballack

J. Cole Lampard A.N.Other

Drogba </pre>

I don't really think we'd need a Makelele type player sitting in front of the defence at all times, unless we played a team with someone who likes to drop into the hole or push up there. The likes of United and Rooney, Liverpool and Gerrard, where playing a Makelele player to shackle them might happen at the expense of Ballack/Essien. There's lots of creativity in that midfield and goals too from Lampard playing in the hole.

The winger is a problem. Ideally it would be someone in the Robben mould, or along those lines. Who knows, who is available? Ribery and Quaresma are two names I've seen linked. Both would be awesome tbf, Ribery the better of the two, but less likely to join.

Hopefully rumours of Scolari wanting Chelsea to break the bank to keep Lampard are true, I just cant see him leaving for some reason. Think our usual 4-5-1 when defending/4-3-3 when attacking formation will be used, thankfully with someone who knows what hes doing tactically to tinker when things arent going right.

Originally posted by Philip Rolfe:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">it is after a European week, so Spurs will be on the Sunday.

Suggests it's not

Pre-season, um, a game in China, a game in Macau, three in Russia (Railways Cup). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

October 21/22, 2008 3rd match Champions League group stage

October 23, 2008 1st matchday UEFA Cup group stage

So the Saturday will be the 25th, so Spurs game will likely be on the Sunday

I think Quaresma is a real possibility.....as is Ronaldinho actually.

Maybe being hugely hopeful (for the buys, not the sells), but don't think the following is impossible:

In:

Eto'o

Ronaldinho

Deco (£45m deal for the 3)

Quaresma (£15m)

Out:

Lampard :-( (20m)

Drogba :-( (20m)

Belletti

Sheva (maybe)

Sidwell

Malouda

Leaves us with quite a well balanced 23

• Administrators

With Eto'o though there's so much more to despise. He trashed our changing room, accused our (black) steward of racial abuse, slagged off the club, spat at a Bilbao player, headbutted a Cameroonian journalist, I could go on. With Deco I just don't think he's an upgrade on any of our midfielders who serve a similar role, there's no hate there.

Really would rather have Lmapard then Deco. lampard is a legend. I think Big Phil could kick Ronaldinho into shape. Also two or three new wingers, and two strikers. Anelka, Malouda, Sidwell, Ben Haim not good enough. Joe cole hasnt got the pace to be a winger, he should be a super sub icon_smile.gif

With regards to Eto'o the problem I have is that if Drogba goes we are basically replacing him with another egotistical moody pr!ck.

The reason I dispise Deco is because hes a diving, moany knobend who I would gladly punch in the face, hes just one of those people. icon_biggrin.gif Enjoyed when he was "injured" and JT smashed the ball at him and it smacked him and he bounced straight back up to have a go.

But I can see your point. icon_biggrin.gif

But if Drogba goes who do we get???

I think there's no chance of getting Villa as with Eto'o on his way Villa is dead cert to go to Barca

I just don't see any other World Class strikers out there that would be available...

I don't think anyone wants Deco but we need to accept that he's almost certainly on his way.

And in terms of wingers (of which we need at least 2) I can't think of anyone (again, available and realistic) a part of Quaresma and Ronaldinho.

And maybe Robinho.

Aside from that it would just be more gambles a la Malouda, players who have had very good seasons but are not necessarily of top top quality. And I don't think I can stomach another Malouda!!

Contrary to what the press are saying about our bottomless pit of money and the stars we can get, I don't think we're going to end up with a much better squad than last year - and actually probably a little worse if we lose Drogba + 1 of Ballack/Lamps with no suitable replacements in sight.

Mario Gomez hasn't impressed me for example.

Has everyone seem this?

"Dorgba rules out blues exit"

Not sure how much we can read into didiers comments as he seems to change his mind every other week, but it's nice to finally see him apologise for the CL final.

As to potential signings, please let us avoid deco & eto'o. I just can't stand them. I would enjoy robinho some of the time, but he's very inconsistent and would probably wind me up. If scolari can repair ronaldinho i wouldn't mind seeing him play for us, but i'm really not sure if he has the determination to get to that level again.

Ribery would be superb, but i can't see bayern selling. Quaresma would cost a fortune (porto seem to apply the football manager valuation of players to everyone lol) and i'm not sure he's any better that SWP (well maybe he can cross...) lastly i'm not sure silva has the physique for the prem, but it'd save me having to sign him every year in FM icon_biggrin.gif

Potential drogba replacements - mario gomez looks distinctly average, villa seems to want to stay in spain, and torres isn't going to move.

Berbatov would be good, but i'm not sure he's performed well against top class opponents (feel free to correct me, i'm just not sure of this).

I'm really struggling to find attainable players that would improve our squad, which could explain why the papers are filled with utter nonsence.

• Administrators
Originally posted by swfcrule4eva:

Ben Sahar joined NAC Breda? If he has can we have Sheva on loan please icon_smile.gif

Hasn't yet, needs to confirm the deal today.

Wouldn't mind sending one or two more of ours to Sheff Wed though, can do a lot worse for clubs.

Archived