Network problems

Have had some good responses to my players/tactics questions recently which are much appreciated so I'm hoping somebody can help with this query, it'd be much appreciated!

i'm trying to host a network game- the setup is, that downstairs PC has a Blueyonder modem attached to a Buffalo AirStation G54 router, and I have FM09 installed upstairs on the laptop- I connect to the internet using the wireless.

I have set up a new game and sent out the IP but nobody can connect! I've found a site here http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Buffalo/WBR-G54/Football_Manager_2006.htm for FM06 about port forwarding- i managed to follow it but still no progress- although those instructions don't seem exactly right.

Has anybody got any experience in this area, we've been trying for a week now =)

Any help would be really really appreciated and any further info needed, please just ask.

Thank you again,

James

Has anybody else had any problems? I've opened the relevant ports 10093 and 10094 through the Control Panel > Firewall in Windows Vista, hosting the game as a server on FM09 and given my two friends the IP address (the second part of the big number in game status after the / ) but they still keep getting the "unable to connect to server" message- FM09 kicks them out and the game needs restarting.

My friends have tried hosting too and I get the same message/error?

Running out of things to try? My setup is -

Attempting to host as server from Vista laptop upstairs, connected to the internet via a Buffalo router which is connected to the Blueyonder modem and PC downstairs.

Any help is really really appreciated, really been looking forward to this network game!

Kind regards

James

Are you trying to connect both these machines through the internet to another machine not on your network? From personal experience it’s a pain in the @ss doing this as you just don’t know what setup the guy on the other side has. I.e. could be something as simple as fm2009 not being in his firewall exceptions list.

If you’re just trying to connect the machine upstairs to the machine downstairs I don’t see what the problem is. You just connect them both to the router and setup a LAN game, don’t need any port forwarding for that as its not though the net...

Archived