Countering 3-5-2

Pure numbers game. If you absolutely want to stick to 442 you need a 5th man in the middle. My approach which sometimes works, sometimes doesn't is to set my more industrious striker to specific man mark whichever of the central 3 plays the more defensive role. You could use mentality to get him to drop back deeper but it doesn't give the consistency that specific man marking does. The downside is if you aren't watching full matches you have to be quick on your toes and it can be distracting to be constantly focused on whether or not they change formation or substitute the relevant midfielder.

Whether or not a general marking scheme without specific marking works is going to depend on how they are set up and how you are set up. For example with their wide men of the 5 pushing on and the right settings on your side, it would hopefully result in the 442 wingers come into the middle to close down helping to prevent the 3 vs 2 interplay which can have them passing the ball around with ease.

If you're not an ultra realist I would suggest saving the game before the next time you play a 352 team, play it on full and have a mess around with the sliders and marking settings.

To be honest though when it comes to a 5 man midfield with a team that is not playing defensively, then mirroring their formation used to work well on 08. Haven't really tested that out on 09 yet so can't really comment if the same holds.

I also play 4-4-2, I've always found the best way to counter 3-5-2 is simply to play the ball wide to, preferably, fast wide midfielders. A more direct quick approach is generally best. The 3-5-2 team may have more of the ball in midfield, but their lack of full backs will allow you to create chances, or at least crosses, the rest is up to your strikers, of course:D

It almost works like a counter attacking tactic, get the ball and hit them quickly. Basically, what ever tactic or formation you chose, I find it generally best to by-pass the midfieled as quickly as possible.

A couple of hard working MC's can be very useful to win the ball back or rush a 5 man midfield into misplaced passes.

On a related note has anyone attempted a 3-5-2 formation in FM09 yet??

I was considering making a giantkiller type formation with emphasis on soaking up pressure and quick counter attacks, do you reckon it could work?

DC DC DC

WB WB

MC MC

AMC

ST ST

The central DC would play forward of the other two mopping up loos balls and doubling up on oppostion strikers, the WBs would hang back generally and not get to advanced playing quick passes to the two central midfielders who would then feed the ball to the AMC who is kinda the lynchpin of any attack.

I suspect it will take alot to get it working so it scores goals, but it in theory should be tough to break down.

a good method against 352 seems to be pulling your MC(d) into DMC and the MC(a) in front of him, so playing a 4132

no other changes seem necessary in most tactics, but assuming that you have one defensive oriented MC and an offensive one

Archived