The Ultimate Poll: Best version of the series.

Your Favourite Incarnation?!  

1,179 members have voted

1. 1. Your Favourite Incarnation?!

• Championship Manager 93 (93,94)
    • Championship Manager 2 (CM2, 96/97, 97/98)
    • Championship Manager 3 (CM3, 99/00, 00/01, 01/02)
    • Championship Manager 4 (CM4, 03/04)
    • Football Manager 2005
    • Football Manager 2006
    • Football Manager 2007
    • Football Manager 2008
    • Football Manager 2009

For overall playability, enjoyment and hours of your life wasted, which has been your favourite incarnation of our favourite series?

Due to a maximum of 10 poll options, I have grouped together data updates within that version of CM.

P.s. I'm suprised this hasn't been polled before, I did do a thorough search before hand and the most I could find was 08 vs 09.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still going with 01/02. :) I could spend unlimited hours on it (or so it felt like) before. It was so much fun. After that it's been a little up and down with FM06 and 07 giving me most enjoyment. I don't know, I guess it's a mix of the game becoming too complex needing more hours on the "less fun" stuff of the game and me not having the same amount of time or interest as I once had in this game series.

FM06 just because it was the first CM/FM I'd ever owned. In hindsight it was pretty rubbish as the attributes for all the players were much too high and there were 20's everywhere but I was completely and utterly addicted to it whereas now, I'm 'mildly addicted'. I don't even play FM everyday :eek:

CM01/02 was and still is the best game ever!!! Could play that for days running and I still do.

You could rifle a season off in 3 hours! :D

Although, I enjoyed 03/04 thouroughly and liked 08 and have not had the time to play 09 too much yet.

Very difficult decision, i could have easily picked two or three others. In the end I went for '07 as this was the first version i had a proper long term game (+20 seasons with Bromley). It introduced great new features such as new stadiums and affiliate clubs and newgens were the best they've been so far.

I haven't actullay got '09 yet so that may well be the best so far but my old laptop just couldn't handle the demo:(. Plus i'm still enjoying 08:thup:.

CM2. First game I bought (was after USM2 but got the wrong one!) and played it to death. Was still going on it in 2000, probably still would be if it ran properly on new PCs. Naively tried to replace it with CM5 before I'd cottoned on to the split, then became a FM convert from 07 onwards.

FM09 does look good, so far, and has potential to be best yet.

CM 03/04 is the one that made me fall in love with the Manager series. In two seasons of a hot seat game with me and my friend we already won the Champs league once each and Cristiano Ronaldo was the best and most expensive player in the world! (It took him two seasons in real life aswell!)

did about 40 seasons in one game on CM 01/02, as I recall. Took Clevedon Town to four promotions and then the Champions League. How could I ever forget that! It was possible to fly through a season in about 2 nights in those days, setting the text commentary to "very fast." That game was finely tuned and loads of fun.

To be honest 2nd choice would probably be FM 08, which I'm a little surprised hasn't done better here. Though to be fair I've yet to really get into FM 09 yet.

Private polls are no fun!

I voted for FM06 as it is the version in which I had my longest running game and the one in which I woon the Champions League with Grindavik (Iceland). That latter point clearly shows it wasn't the most difficult (realistic) of versions, but it was fun to play, closely followed by FM07 and CM01/02 probably, although the pre-2d match engine days seem so long ago it's hard to remember much of CM01/02 other than that I had lots of enjoyable games.

Archived