1 tactic vs Multiple tactics

I am just wondering about whether I should stick to one tactic of follow wwfans advice and make multiple tactics for various situations.

In the past I have saved 3+ tactics with all players in the same formation in each but with different instructions depending on what I want to achieve from the tactic ie defend, attack, etc. Which I like

However, in FM08 I found I had a lot more success with just having 1 tactic and using it exclusively.

TT&F advocates changing tactics and is endorsed by Paul Collyer, but one of the in game tips tells you not to keep changing tactics or you will confuse the squad!

Can anyone advise or give any tips on this subject?

I am finding that, as a small team, I need to go defensive with a counter attack, this works fine until I get a home game where I am favourites, then I think I better go to a middling, or attacking tactic, which often struggles, is this because I have changed the tactic and confused the players?

I am hoping that if I do not move players about in their on field possitions then I will not be considered changing the tactic by the computer, but if I am I need to know!

Any help or view points on the 1 formation vs many arguement would be well apreciated

EB

A good question. I have found that changing tactic but keeping the same formation is a little less destructive. SO going from standard to defensive on a 4-4-2 as per TT&F. However long term I always find I just get the right players in then switch to an attacking tactic. Not saying this is right it probly is less than optimal but I feel like you say you confuse the players with constant tweeking.

With FM09 I have experimented (played 4-5 seasons) with some teams. I have tried playing with these sets:

- Attack

- Attack, Standard, Defensive

- Attack, Standard, Defensive, Control, Shut up shop

My conclusion is that playing with a tactic set of five different tactics suits my team best. My players perform well. But, with every set I have tested I see a pattern: I had big time struggling with scoring goals. I score about 1.2 goals per match even though I aim to play attacking. With every set I have had great succes with keeping clean sheets.

As mentioned, there is definetly a pattern with my tactical sets. I just dont know why I cant score more goals. Creating chances is 50-50, sometimes I create 10-12 per match, other times only 5-6.

To answer your question: The more tactics you have for your team, the better. 3-5 is probably a safe choice, no matter what team you manage, but at the same time I think it is VERY IMPORTANT that your tactics "work" properly for your purpose. Mine are working great with the defensive duties, but when it comes to the attacking (scoring) it is a something else...

Yeah I htink you are right 3-5 is probably optimum. Do you ever switch mid match? Also I wish we knew if any poor performances were due to tactics or any match engine issues that will be covered in future patches.

Yes I often change tactics during matches. But maximum once or twice. I keep an eye on the score and team/player stats during matches to decide whether I want to change tactics or not... This isnt hard to master, the hard thing is setting up the tactics :p

An idea of how you can use a tactic set:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=64672

So basically what we are saying is that changing tactic shouldnt cause a problem if the player positions remain the same.

Do you have the tactic saved and ready to go? Or do you tweak the tactic during the match?

I have tactics pre-saved.

Personally I usely have a tactic pre-saved.

If you look at the feedback the Assistant manager is giving, he only comments on passing, closing down and tempo. Nothing else has been mentioned in my games.

These three instructions are maybe the three instructions that most defines your style of play. So if you stick to the same type of instructions for these three settings you should be safe. Offcourse you can vary, but don`t give a player short passing in one tactic and long in another tactic.

I haven`t tried doing it anyother way, since when doing it this way all players get used to the desired style of play quite early. I don`t know if players will adapt after some time, if instructions differ to much regarding these instructions.

Archived