Advice on converting preseason Cup tournament into Group Stage tournament?

BedeviledEgg

Hi, I'm an editor noob but I've been figuring things out pretty successfully but I could use some advice on how to go about making this change.

I already have a working pre-season friendly tournament with 8 teams in a 3-round knockout Cup format. What I want to do is convert this to a Group Stage tournament with 2 4-team groups, top 2 advancing to a semi-final.

I don't think I need precise hand-holding I think I just need to be pointed in the right direction. I can't find any examples of what I want to do on Steam to use as a guide and I didn't find anything searching the forum either.

I tried changing my "Cup" stage to "Group" but it's not obvious where I define the size of the groups or how many teams qualify out.

Thanks

After changing from "Cup" to "Group", go to Group Settings and select the number of groups you want. You can go to "League Settings (All Groups)" on the left-hand menu to set up how many round there are in the group, ect. The pull down menu for that has a sub-section called "Qualification Rules" where you can set up how many teams advance from the group and where they advance to. If you want to put specific teams in specific groups, on that same page scroll down to "Group Teams". On the left-hand menu, there's a section called "Individual Group Rules" where you can give specific names to each group and set specific rules to specific groups (if that's something you want to do."

I've attached a file here for the lower divisions in the United States I'm working on. The second division (USL Championship) is setup as a group since it has two conferences and then a playoff to determine the champion. Feel free to use this if you want some help setting up groups and playoffs.

Up to USL League One by tariq13.fmf

Thanks @tariq13 that was super super helpful!  I got most of the way there thanks to having that example to look at.

I'm still having a lot of trouble getting the scheduling and venues to work, I don't really understand all these options and i'm just flailing at them. I feel like what I want is simple but I can't seem to make it happen.

I just want every match to be played at the Host stadium but either setting the match venue to host doesn't work or I am setting the host wrong. Every match seems to be played at either the home team's stadium or a neutral venue.

What I want is six group matchdays with 2 matches each day, like so:

1 Group A match & 1 Group B match, games at 15:00 and 19:30 of Host Stadium

Matchdays: Sat & Sun, Tues & Wed, Sat & Sun

But I don't know how to make this happen. Likewise my Semifinal and Final are not played at the host stadium either. And when I try to limit it to 2 games per day I seem to end up with NO group B games at all.

What complicates this is that at the beginning of the game the permanent host stadium is not constructed yet and won't exist until 2025. So until 2025 another one of the participating teams is intended to be hosting.

On 28/11/2020 at 23:05, BedeviledEgg said:

I figured this out and it's working beautifully now, future stadium change and all.

Thanks @tariq13 for your help, that was just what I needed.

Glad I could help!